Features

Queen Edet: Imagine a Spin Off of Americanah & Ghana Must Go

Spin-offs are common in the television world – where a character or group of characters from one TV show have a new TV show created for it to cater to the character of group of characters individual story. This story could cater to a character’s story before or after the parent show.

Funny guy Joey, from Friends had a TV show called Joey created for his character; Carrie from Sex and the City had The Carrie Diaries created which told of her life in high school. The Game was a spin-off from Girlfriends too. Hence I was familiar with TV show spin-offs, yet it never occurred to me that there could be book spin-offs, that is until I came across one- Thighs Fell Apart.
Yes it’s a spin-off of Things Fall Apart; however, it’s not by the same author and the characters remain the property of Chinua Achebe. Thighs Fell Apart is a fan fiction by Kiru Taye. And by the title you may rightly guess that it’s an erotica. The author takes Ekwefi, Okonkwo’s second wife and tells a possible story of her life before she got married to Okonkwo. You need to come up for air after this one, as the author tastefully describes in details the sex scenes that centred on Ekwefi. Clearly, this is not a book for secondary school students, no spin-offs for them.

Discovering this got me thinking – if I could create spin-offs of any books I’d read by Nigerian/African authors, what character would it be based on, and what would the possible storyline be? So I decided to try a few.*SPOILER ALERT* If you haven’t read Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selaise, I Do Not Come To You By Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani or Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, you may want to read them and then come back to this read this.

Possible Spin-Off 1 – I Do Not Come to You By Chance
This is the story of Godfrey Ibe, brother of Kingsley Ibe and hence nephew to Boniface ‘Cash Daddy’ Mbamalu. After being introduced to the ‘goodlife’ by his brother who gets his money through illegitimate means, Godfrey decides to drop-out of school and start making money, much to the disappointment and anger of his brother. He is quickly recruited by a group of people who work for Uwajimogwu, a major political opponent of Cash Daddy. Soon he has to make the choice between his ambition for wealth, and love for family as the political stakes are higher and lives may be lost in order to ensure political victory. *Ghen ghen*

Possible Spin-Off 2 – Ghana Must Go
Sadie Sai is coming into her own as she discovers her talents while in her hometown of Accra for a brief visit, in the midst of the most unlikely people – her family. She is soon thrown into the world of professional arts where her inner demons of eating disorder rage even louder and threathen to destroy her new life. Will the support of her family members who are mending their own wounds and friends such as Philae, be enough to help her overcome her demons?

Possible Spin-Off 3 – Americanah
While her son is in the UK, Obinze’s mother has more time to herself and starts off a love affair with a student. While this starts as a fling, it soon grows to be more than that as she quickly finds herself deep in love. Should she deny herself the love she deeply craves or do the ‘right’ thing and end it?

With these possible spin-offs I hope you would agree with me on my bright future as a writer.

That being said, what spin-offs would you create from either of these 3 books? Which of mine do you like? What do you think of book spin-offs? Is there a future for it, could a spin-off become more popular than the parent book? Or would book spin-offs follow their television equivalent in which the spin-off doesn’t do as great as the main show – Private Practice did come quite close to Grey’s Anatomy, and A Different world and The Cosby Show both enjoyed large audience.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Igor Mojzes

Queen EN is a dance and fitness trainer, dedicated to helping women get fit. She earned a BSc. in Chemistry from York University and often relaxes by drinking C62H108O7 and reading a good book. Her passion for dance, health, and fitness led her to start a growing fitness company in Nigeria where she continues to drive the message on the need for total mind and body wellness. Queen will take ice-cream in any weather condition.

1. Ephi

November 6, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Definitely:
    1. Cash Daddy – he was larger than life and phase a very very funny sense of humor.
    2. Both and Obinze and Ifemelu – loved both of them together.
    I’ve not read the other book so can’t say.

2. Ephi

November 6, 2015 at 7:41 pm

*Both Obinze

3. Ephi

November 6, 2015 at 7:42 pm

*had a very
    what’s wrong with auto-correct this Friday evening?!

4. Sheri

November 6, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Honestly! These are story lines the movie industry should look into. I am a scriptwriter and I am finding it so hard to reach out to the right people to create a series! I have so many ideas. I really feel we need something innovative and fresh. *Wails*

5. ENNY

November 6, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I don’t like your Americana fantasy spin off story line. The character I would love to read more about is Ifemelu’s aunt Uju. Literally everything about her!!. And only from the original author (Chimamanda) would I read it.

6. ENNY

November 6, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I don’t like your Americana fantasy spin off story line. The character I would love to read more about is Ifemelu’s aunt Uju. Literally everything about her!!. And only if written by the original author (Chimamanda) then I might just go crazy with joy ?

7. TK

November 6, 2015 at 11:26 pm

There’s an actual chance there might be an americanah movie, I’m honestly hoping there is!! Ghana must go too! Don’t know if I want tv show or movie, but they always try to squeeze the entire book into a movie less than 2hrs and that’s fine, it’s hard to translate a whole book into a movie that being said… Who else thinks they should just make them into tv shows like super story? Lool story after story ! Cause I doubt one will be long enough to fit into like 3-4 seasons

• Mz_daniels

November 8, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Americanah as a movie would be boring. The strength of that Novel is the writing. Things like ‘the emotionally malnourished look of someone who did not have friends”
      ‘Aunty Uju and mum had the easy relationship of people who avoided the truth’
      ‘ Obinze thought Kosi interesting, the few things she allows herself to say were thoughtful’
      ‘Pee had an intense air, she was the sort of person whose love would suffocate’

Mba, a movie will ruin Americanab just like half of a yellow sun

8. Cher

November 6, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Love your thoughts ! And I have not read ” I did not come to you by chance ” I would like to check it out by your recommendation . Love your thoughts on “Ghana must Go”.

I’m not a fan of the Americanah spin off though . Maybe we could focus on the mother but with a student ? Nahhhhh . I did love Aunty Uju she had to come into her own . Also you could write about a host of Ifem’s friends .

9. Demilade

November 7, 2015 at 9:00 am

The idea for Ghana Must Go makes so much sense. I love it. xx
    coco-bella.blogspot.com

10. Tosin

November 7, 2015 at 10:04 am

what cool, imaginative stuff you wrote sha

11. Omolayo Nkem

November 7, 2015 at 12:43 pm

My spin off of Americanah would follow Auntie Uju’s son, for sure! Don’t care what stage: trying to fit in in high school, navigating college and girlfriends, torn between the African Student Association and the Black Student Union. Visiting Nigeria again. Anything about him would be fantastic.

12. Zee

November 7, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Americanah
    Ifemelu, seems like she dey form hard babe,too opinionated. I would love to see Obinze cling to his wife because of his child. I would love to see how he handles leaving Ifemelu for real.. Perhaps Ifemelu married finds love in one big chief..lol

• gyasi

November 7, 2015 at 6:58 pm

yeah it was but you see then I was in England everything she wrote is true. immigration and all that shits in the novel. But I was really disappointed at the last bits of the novel… I have never heard or seen where a Nigerian man as rich as Obinze leaves his house… but such men is throw their wife away or marry a second wife into their house. Obinze leaving his house to run after Ifemelu was total nonsense it doesn’t happen in Nigeria. a clear influence of the west on Chimamanda which I think is bad for a future fiction I pray she reads review see comments like mine. people like me like authenticity in books and brings character to life. all the same it was a good reference book though but not a great novel to me.

13. gyasi

November 7, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I couldn’t read Ghana must go lol I tried and tried and tried but no way… but I’m thinking maybe this week I’ll pick it up again and finish it. and don’t think because it was authored by an African that was why, No. Matter of fact, Stephen Kings Revival was as boring as Ghana must go, even though I was already down half the pages I simply flung it into my shelf and there it has remained ever since lol but I think I’ll soon finish it. Jk Rowling’s Casual vacancy almost had the same effect on me too slow… to many kids doing kid things but I continued and along the line got hook because the characters were so real to me and again I was marveled by her she created a mountain out of a molehill. Americanah is a very good book love everything about it. I do not come to you by chance was a below average lol sometimes I wonder how she got published those characters are shit hole she should had done her search properly I am saying this because I once lived in Mushin so I know how the 419ners operate and I was disappointed by what she did. completely nonsense. and you talking about spin-off not that I don’t read them lol I think I’ve read everything Tilly Badshaw did to Sidney Sheldon novels. Those are my kind of books. Here is my advice for you, Spin-off freak lol write your own novel create your own characters don’t waste your time recreating what someone else has done lol fucking fan fiction is shit fiction… and I honestly doubt if there is a market for it out there for African writers. The market is too tight for we Africans, so create yours.

14. gyasi

November 7, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Now I’m down on Ghana must go again while re-reading the shinning by Stephen King. The idea is The shinning will console me until I reach where I can’t drop Ghana must go down… Hoping there is a page like that lol

15. Jean

November 9, 2015 at 10:02 am

I love the “Ghana Must go” spin-off.

although the book bored me a bit, it definitely had it’s moments and i enjoyed sadie’s narration. so a spin-off from her angle would be great.

16. DEACON Jonathan Okome

January 6, 2016 at 8:09 am

Its Great a Hand, I mean the Hand of God

17. DEACON Jonathan Okome

January 6, 2016 at 8:28 am

Well, the hand in Ghana is Great, just as the hand in Ifeanyi is equally great.

18. DEACON Jonathan Okome

January 6, 2016 at 8:35 am

Well, God is a Spirit. You feel the Spirit of God when it dwells, fills and guide you just as in Ifeanyi and also in the word Ghana.

19. Ngo

July 15, 2016 at 11:16 am

Hi everyone! I am almost at the end of the book “I do not come to you by chance” Reading it in German language and the funny thing: the title in German is: “the seablue shoes of my uncle Cash Daddy” The author has a very interesting way of writing. Does she have more books? I was reading 250 pages under 2 days. Even though the content of the main story itself is not so much interesting! But I started reading from page one and couldn’t stop until my eyes closed by theirselves because of sleep!! I love romantic storys, waiting to see the big wedding of Kings and Merit..!? And I like to read about countrys and their cultures, historys, individual backgrounds of characteres etc. To comment the spin-off issue: I would like to see the sight of the mother! Can a mother really reject all and everything from his first son that way? Even if it would help her? Can’t she try and accept some things and not to mind where it comes from… Some people have to give others the freedom to live their life.