Features

#BN2015Epilogues: 2015 Was Vanessa’s Year of Finding Love, Peace, Joy & Patience

Last year BellaNaija Features put together an inspiring feature series to round off the year. The 2014 Epilogues featured 10 real people who took an introspective look at their year and wrote about it. This year, we decided to make the call public to our readers. {Click here if you missed it} It is our hope and desire that we will have enough entries to have a story up every day from the 1st to the 31st of December. We have received an impressive number of entries and we hope that you will share yours with us.

We kicked off the series and so far we’ve had the following entries: Jennifer G , Morountodun , VictoryMayowa ,  Harmony ,Dekky , OJ , Busola , ModupeThe Prodigal Daughter , AdetolaAyomikun Omami Jojo , Kehinde Iember ,  Hadiza , Florence and Amaha.

We have had an overwhelming response to the call for Epilogues and we’re grateful to everyone who has sent in an entry. We will do our best to share every story we received before the deadline (even if it runs into the new year. Because BellaNaijarians are so awesome!) In today’s entry, Vanessa talks about her transitioning. Please read and be inspired.

***

2015 took me on a trip! It was like the ghost of Christmas past gave me a visit to show me my past, present and future. I realized that the experiences I had – both good and bad – had a purpose and God was holding my hand through it all. He showed me my past and reminded me of things I went through and asked me, who do you think was with you all this time? You would have lost your mind if I was not here.

He took me to my present and pushed all the issues I was carrying to the forefront not to condemn me but to correct me and make me self aware that I had something’s rooted deep down, internal barriers to my destiny. He asked me to hand it over to him so he could heal me.
Some of the things he revealed to me was depression, bitterness and at the top of the list unforgiveness. Tbh I had no idea I had all these things in me. I did not have a way to deal with or process these convictions but it had nothing to do with me he was going to take care of it all I just had to hand him the pieces.

Next he showed me a glimpse of my future and the excitement came. BUT guess what? This started the real journey. The journey of transition, God knows how to humble us. I have leant that getting to know God is by revelation and experience. God introduces himself to you when you are empty and all roads are blocked. At that point you have no choice but to follow him. Your emptiness will bring you to your knees. In this journey I was well aware of who my source was, not man but God. I followed him so desperately because I knew he had the key to the doors I needed open. On this journey with God I found love, joy, peace, faith and PATIENCE! These are the gifts he gives you.

Love- His love for me changed how I treated people; I learnt that if I want love I have to give love. God has been so good to me and I have no right to not share the love and mercy he has given me to others. He made me less selfish.

Joy- I learnt that you don’t need your circumstances to change to be joyful. God fills us up with joy and laughter whenever you ask him for it. I found myself filled with joy in the most stressful situations this year.

Peace- This year I really understood that the peace God gives no man can give. In the toughest situations his peace sucked out my fears like a vacuum cleaner.

Faith-He gave me promises that I could not see in the physical but I know it is already done. These promises have obstacles and thorns around them and every time I try to reach myself I get burnt. My Faith has been developed to an extent because I’ve had to believe strongly despite the fears, doubt, threats and the lies of the enemy. There nothing God cannot do.

PATIENCE-With God you have to be patient, he is the Boss, the shot caller. He does what he wants when he wants. He may not come when you want him but he is right on time. He loves you enough to be late. He has stretched me on this area this year. It’s been a fight!! Through the complaining and dragging the problems with him he remains faithful.

Encouragement for everyone as the year comes to an end/

I believe 2015 was a year of transition for most of us. 2016 will make all of us understand why this year has been so hard. For there to be light there is darkness first.

When God shines light on your future he begins this thing called transition. This is preparation for your new level. It is in this place where he strips all the things you do not need on your next level. Like a shovel he digs deep into you till he finds a rock then he starts building you up. He shakes off whatever has no foundation so be prepared to loose things, behaviors, attitudes friends and connections. When God wants to show up and show out he makes sure no one has the power to help you but him. It’s a beautiful place to be but also uncomfortable. At that moment you’re in between miracles and a prisoner of Hope because you know deep down something is about to happen.

Transition is uncomfortable for the flesh but great for the spirit. God takes control of all the parts of your life. Believe it or not he owns you and he is Lord over all. He will get glory out of your life through the broken parts of you. He uses you pain to fuel your passion. Nothing you have been through this year or previous years will be wasted; testimonies will come out of it.

I am proud to say this year has been my transition year. I do not know what cry God heard or what song I sang to tell God that I was ready to go along with his perfect will but he found a way in. Through my pain he found a way to arrest me. I have learnt that if I am not in his will it is impossible for me to function.

This is the year I had to surrender. And I can’t wait to see what God has stored up for me.

The best thing I have learnt this year is to be very grateful! We overlook so much God has done because our Wants, needs and our targets are not met. I encourage everyone to praise in advance till the year ends. This is your season and you have to enter it in Joy because you cannot reap in sadness do not get it twisted. Sow in tears and reap in joy. Your tears this year have been stored up and have watered your seed. Expect a great harvest. GET YOUR TOOLS READY!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime  |  Michael Zhang

1. Eva

December 19, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Vanessa thanks for sharing your story, its very inspiring. God is truly Awesome.

2. Babytohcute

December 19, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Amen oh, amen.

3. Prisla

December 19, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Story of my life!
    Thanks for this post .. I know despite all the disappointment and failures this year, something good will come out of it sooner than later by God’s grace! Delay is not denial

4. xx

December 19, 2015 at 6:16 pm

BN we need a love button for some post ie this one

5. B

December 19, 2015 at 8:38 pm

How was depression revealed to you? You are either depressed or you’re not.

• M.M

December 20, 2015 at 1:13 am

you may be depressed and you may not realise it,You may think your actions are normal or that you simply have a bad attitude whilst you are actually suffering from depression unknowingly. that , my friend is how depression is revealed to you. its hard to finally come to terms with the fact you are depressed.

6. Amie

December 20, 2015 at 12:04 am

Awesome!!!! Succinctly presented. Deep revelations, real, true, genuine, sincere and down to earth. I sure can relate to all of these. May the Good and faithful Lord continue to bless and keep you Venessa. Your best days and years are right here.

7. M.M

December 20, 2015 at 1:09 am

incredible story. Your journey shall continue and you will continue to grow. The God that is in you will never leave you, continue to inspire!

8. Storyofmylife-Thank you

December 20, 2015 at 3:00 am

WOW! And there in lies my breath-through – thank you father!! You may not understand why I say this but spare me while I give a quick summary. I’ve been praying and waiting on God for a big change in my life for the last 10 years. I used the last 5 to grow myself and prepare for the blessing and alas it didn’t come but instead turmoil unfolded. I was lost and shocked that my maker was silent to my prayers and plea, wondering what I had done to deserve it despite being a devoted christian (spiritual and prayerful). Eventually, unable to do anything in my power, I yielded and grumbly accepted to seek additional help through faith based counseling. There, I learned a lot but most importantly about the gift of love and all the other gifts of the holy spirit (with a stronger focus on love, bc from love, the rest of the gifts come naturally). Needless to say, I was healed and understood why everything was delayed…. I wasn’t READY!. I had to make God the center of my life, and needed to prune a lot out of me to be prepared for the new level he was taking me. And guess what (in my case) all it required was to learn about LOVE (God’s love). Now get this, once I grasped it, INSTANTLY, all my troubles were resolved. I didn’t look back. It was just that simply, the demons and insurmountable battles began to untangle one by one and now I have the best peace I have ever known all my life. My testimony is forthcoming on BN but for now I can confidently say again God has spoken to me this wknd. Why? Because as I sought God’s word this wknd, this is the fourth message on the “gift of the holy spirit” that I stumbled on and best of all they were all laid out in the same form. I can go on but let me stop here for now. Oh my, God is GOOD!

Writer/BN – Thank you for this. Please anyone that is going through any type of battle, seek help, study your bible and learn about the gift of the holy spirit. It is the only way forward to win the battle bf 2016. I pray it is a year of victory for all of us. AMEN

9. faith

December 20, 2015 at 7:53 am

This is not a story..u were just preaching….didnt like it…

10. Nse Baby

December 20, 2015 at 8:54 am

Truly inspiring. Thank you

11. Cathy

December 20, 2015 at 9:53 am

Beautiful and Deep Piece for those who can relate. I read this with tears rolling down! Tears of Contentment, Humbleness and most of all Gratefulness….God really gives you what no man can give and until you are at that point you are just a wanderer and will spend your time going around. You simply should not expect to receive what you cannot give…… God bless the writer Vanessa (it takes maturity and a knowledgeable mind to put this together) for writing this and I hope it reaches out to as many who need to come to that point to experience what life really is all about and how you can live in absolute peace, love and luxury within limits. It’s been a great year for me and I sit back waiting for 2016. Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear in advance….

12. Mami

December 20, 2015 at 10:15 am

You are blessed and highly favoured

13. Ada

December 20, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Vennessa, as I read your great inspirational words of life, I saw myself in your story, I could not hold back tears and gousse flesh over me. The Faithfulness of the most high God has been awesome over the life of my family and I. This is an awesome piece. Everybody needs to read this.
    I am so expectant of 2016.

Stay blessed