Features

#BN2015Epilogues: As Adetola Blossoms into a Butterfly, She is No Longer a Slave to Fear

Last year BellaNaija Features put together an inspiring feature series to round off the year. The 2014 Epilogues featured 10 real people who took an introspective look at their year and wrote about it. This year, we decided to make the call public to our readers. {Click here if you missed it} It is our hope and desire that we will have enough entries to have a story up every day from the 1st to the 31st of December. We have received an impressive number of entries and we hope that you will share yours with us.

We kicked off the series and so far we’ve had the following entries: Jennifer G , Morountodun VictoryMayowa ,  Harmony ,Dekky OJ Busola , Modupe and The Prodigal Daughter.

We’re very grateful to everyone who has sent in an entry and we intend to share all the stories we receive. Don’t forget to send in your entry with the subject “2015 Epilogues” before 15th of December 2015.

Today’s entry is very special and we urge you to read it, as we believe Adetola‘s story is one that a lot of our readers can relate to.

***
Twenty Fifteen…
I started the year in Church, of course, praising God and rejoicing with friends and loved ones.
Guess what, I had no New Year’s resolutions, I just wanted to be the best in all I do!

It’s past one a.m. and I am typing away on my new “personal” laptop. If I thought that 2015 will end this way or I received a “prophecy” from “Alufa” I would have called him a joker.
The past one year has been about work and work and less of me.

My 9-5 consumed my very being. It was like I lived to work. Please don’t crucify me, I am not saying it’s bad to work, but mine became a burden. Alarm was pre-set to 5am, my brain knew best to set out before 6am, else I sleep in Lagos traffic, ditto the trip back home.

My kids knew their mum lived at home but we hardly had time till weekend. Weekend was a luxury, let’s not go there. The world is mobile, so we work all the time.

Responding to messages on social media and reading BellaNaija was a task. I lost friends, but I determined never to lose family.

By July 2015, I looked back, I could not boast of achieving any other thing besides meeting work targets, learning how to deal with my irate boss, and a decent pay check. I knew life wasn’t designed this way.

October 2015, the turnaround point for me, I quit my 9-5. I quit because my value was being determined by work. I quit because I was certain that life had much more for me.

Did I have another job offer that embraces work-life balance? NO. Did I have a stash of stolen Nigerian funds in foreign banks? NO! Is my last name Dangote? Hell NO! This is me that advises others not to quit a job if they do not have a better one yet. But I had faith and hope and not forgetting I had Jesus.

From November till date, I have attended two professional certifications that has made me ready for the next step in my professional entrepreneur life. I am completing my projects presently.

I have enrolled for the dream professional course I always wanted to complete.
I have revived my Mobile Cocktails Company, @CocktailsbyTSM.
I have started writing again.
I am working on projects that will blossom.
I have laughed more with my children. It has been a privilege to attend my children’s open day, day camp and be more involved in their growing life. No more bugged by AMG “Absentee Mummy Guilt”.

I am happy. Every day, I am getting better in all I do. I know everything will work out fine, it won’t be long (Amos 9:13 MSG).

If it was in July or September, I would have been sleeping and turning on my bed, you will think a trailer ran off me. I would have missed the call for BellaNaija”s 2015 epilogues.

I have been hit by the bug of entrepreneurship, I no longer sleep, I think and create in my dreams.

PS- my favourite song in 2015 “No longer slave to fear” I am a living testimony of the song.

2015… the year the caterpillar metamorphosed to a butterfly.
Hello from me to 2016!

1. Authentic Sunshine

December 11, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Well done girl. Like you rightly said there is definitely more to life than what we sometimes focus on. Here is to hoping something beautiful and magical will happen to you in 2016.

2. Great Lady

December 11, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I love your courage and your spirit. I wish you all the best.

3. mrs chidukane

December 11, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I pray your courage is rewarded. Congratulations!

4. FATRON

December 11, 2015 at 12:31 pm

WOW! So inspiring.
    You know when we take a step of Faith,it is not a leap in the dark but absolute trust in the Soveirgn @ quitting your job.
    But it is good to know you already know what you would like to do. You already have a seed. An idea 1st. I guess thats important,abi?
    There is so much joy having time for one”s children. Me too @ AMG and looking forward to its end in 2016.
    Compliment of the season.

5. yeyeperry

December 11, 2015 at 12:43 pm

May the Lord bless the work of your hands and may your dreams manifest bigger and better than you imagined.

6. fleur

December 11, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I thought I was resting my own writeup!!! I have set my quit date at January 2016. When your job becomes a jealous mistress, it’s time to take back your life. When the thought I’d work turns Sunday afternoon into a depressing time, tone don reach to vamoose. When Friday afternoon feels like the start of a new dawn and you can’t wait for 4pm, it’s time to leave. When you are passionate about what you do but the work load is beginning top make you all why the he’ll you are in that field, quit before you lose the passion. When you yell at your kids in response to a simplequestion and you’ve had to ask neighbors one took many times to pick up your kids, your work is stealing from you more than it wool ever pay you!!! When I put in my notice the boss was begging. I told her that the only thing people talk about when asked in old age about what they accomplished is not work. They start telling you about their kids, grandkids. Rarely would you find someone who starts telling you about that theory they crafted that changed the world. So what is important I emphasized is your family. If toy can’t be there with them now, the future will be filled with regrets money can’t fix. Thanks for your writeup. I was too busy with end of year travelling for meetings and meetings about the meetings that I missed the call for writeups.

7. fleur

December 11, 2015 at 1:30 pm

As you can see the smart phone that is not so smart did a number on my piece. Sorry guys figure it out. Rushing to work right now

8. Taiwo

December 11, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I can so relate to this!!

9. Mystory

December 11, 2015 at 3:03 pm

This is my story. If anyone had told me I would quit my job in 2015, I would have laughed. Same way I am still laughing after a Pastor told me by July next year, wedding preparations will be underway. Me wey no get boo.

After a mental breakdown in July, I quit my job some months later. When people ask, I ramble. I don’t care to share why. My dreams were lying dormant. Work-life balance would have been almost realistic but for the demonic Lagos traffic. They begged me to stay. The bosses could not make sense of my decision. I’m not sure I can either, but when God says move, you move.

I was up from 4-6am working one day and when I looked at the time, I smiled. At 6am, I would have arrived at work and be sleeping in the carpark. I don’t miss that.

I don’t know what the future holds just yet. I am trying to get another job. I have rediscovered myself. Worked on my blog. Working on professional development and I am almost at peace with myself. Of course the pressure is beginning to build in terms of work, but I am rest assured that I will start a fulfilling role come January 2016. How that will happen? Over to baba God.

10. Somiii

December 11, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Welcome to the world of so many of us, who slave away all in the name of professional career. God help us not to loose ourselves and look back one day wondering “what happened? where did all the time go”

11. Aijay.....

December 11, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I really admire you. Very courageous.

12. Yemi

December 12, 2015 at 2:56 am

Quite inspiring

13. abi

December 12, 2015 at 4:02 am

2015 i wanted my MBA so bad ,it was more like self accomplishment but for some reasons i don’t even meet my expectations,every1 in class is wondering what is wrong but even i can’t figure it out,have been absent minded most of the time hence it affects my performance i know am not dull but something isn’t right.sigh

14. olabisi modele

December 17, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Waoh,beautiful…..way to go babes…Congrats as all your dreams become reality!

15. Uchechukwu

December 21, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Balancing work and life hmmmmmmmm, always been a tricky call, but hey you found the courage let go and do you congratulations and all the best.