Features

#BN2015Epilogues: Rita’s Faith that Against All Odds, 2015 Will End with a Bang

BellaNaija.com

Last year BellaNaija Features put together an inspiring feature series to round off the year. The 2014 Epilogues featured 10 real people who took an introspective look at their year and wrote about it. This year, we decided to make the call public to our readers. {Click here if you missed it} It is our hope and desire that we will have enough entries to have a story up every day from the 1st to the 31st of December. We have received an impressive number of entries and we hope that you will share yours with us.

We kicked off the series and so far we’ve had the following entries: Jennifer G , Morountodun , VictoryMayowa ,  Harmony ,Dekky , OJ , Busola , ModupeThe Prodigal Daughter , AdetolaAyomikun Omami Jojo , Kehinde Iember ,  Hadiza , Florence , Amaha , Vanessa Winifred , Anne-Rose, Edie and Chidi.

We have had an overwhelming response to the call for Epilogues and we’re grateful to everyone who has sent in an entry. We will do our best to share every story we received before the deadline (even if it runs into the new year. Because BellaNaijarians are so awesome!) We’re almost halfway through the series and it has been delightful to read the experiences of our readers. Today, we’re sharing Rita’s story. As always, it is raw and real and we enjoin you to tuck in and be inspired.

***

I would love to give a hindsight as to how 2015 has been so far. My name is Rita and I am a legal practitioner.  Well, I started 2015 with a bang, was just called to the bar late 2014. I moved to Lagos to start NYSC and boo gifted me a car (call to bar gift) so yeah it started great.

Hmm, then I got a job in a good law firm to start my service. The pay was quite good with incentives. My service year was going great, was learning a lot, met new people, made new friends, it was going fine.

Then bang…it was like things were turning upside down. My relationship wasn’t as great as it used to be, lots of quarrelling , ‎bad company etc. Then a certain colleague who happened to be close to my boss decided to frustrate me because I wouldn’t let him bully me or intimidate me. He vowed to make sure he would do everything within his power to make sure I was not going to be retained (He succeeded).

I discovered a certain person who I trusted began spreading rumours about me and saying all sorts of things damaging my character and integrity (though I called her out and everyone realised she was lying). I’m a no bullshit person. I confront my problems head on.

Back home, I fell out with my mum and sister! I wasn’t happy, but I felt relieved I could get some things off my chest. It was a very terrible time for me…still is.

Ending the year – well, I’m done with service and true to my ex colleague’s words, I wasn’t retained – even when I was voted the best corps member, but he has the boss’s ears. My partner travelled out to further his studies. Things are great between us. I’m still estranged with my mom and sister, but I believe things have to fall apart for some things to change and I’m comfortable with it.

I do not have a job. I applied to several companies yet no reply. I’m at my wits’ end as I don’t know what else to do. But one thing I do know is I have faith… faith that things will fall into place soon. I have faith that my joblessness will be a thing of the past. Faith that my 2015 will end with a bang.

I have been following this year’s epilogue and I told myself I wasn’t going participate since things are not where I want them to be, but I said what the heck, I may not be where I want to be, but one thing I’m sure of is I’m not where I used to be.

My 2016 epilogue will be a story of my miraculous breakthrough… I’m sure of that.

Thanks BellaNaija for the opportunity to share my story and if I can get any advice as to how to tackle my unemployed state I’ll be grateful as I basically apply online for jobs everyday, so any new suggestion will be great.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Rohappy

1. Tochi

December 24, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Keep your head up dear. It will work out eventually. Always be prepared for that big moment.

2. xplorenollywood.com

December 24, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Nice story Rita. There’s no rule to dealing with colleagues especially the bad ones but I believe the Lord will see you through. Looking for a job can be a bomber but keep ur chin up and be hopeful. You can try shortlist Nigeria, haven’t gotten a job from them but I got 2 invites to attend interviews. I will also say, try you hands at ur hobbies and wat you can sell as product or service I know loads of people want to be entrepreneurs n that might not be ur calling but you can give it a short. In the mean time, as a lawyer, you can also help start ups and entrepreneurs with business registration, cac and all the other legal stuff they need to get started, my 2 cents to you.

*visit xplorenollywood.com for reviews on Nigerian movies*

3. Tochi

December 24, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Keep your head up dear. It will work out in the fullness of time. Stay prepared for the big moment.

4. uzaw

December 24, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Quite inspiring !

5. Me

December 24, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Hi rita. Thanks for sharing your story. Only suggestion I will give you is this: we can learn to become better people through life’s experiences. I used to be like you — confronting people head on. But I’ve learned that there are usually more than a hundred ways to tackle an issue. And relationships are more important than one’s rights. If someone is doing something you don’t like, Eg your mum, rather than have the attitude of “to blazes with you” ,try diplomacy. It will help you get along with your hubby when you marry and with even difficult colleagues.

• Honeycrown

December 24, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Hello @Me. I feel like I wrote this man! Yes, we will only get better.

• Larz

December 24, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I agree, in one year, you havr managed to fight with your colleague, friend, partner, mum and sister. Whilst it is commendable that you are one to stick to what you believe in, you need to do your best to make sure you are managing your relationships appropriately. Perhaps you shoulf read of on EQ and try to emulate some of what you learn next year. All the best

6. Honeycrown

December 24, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Hello Rita, thanks for sharing your story and my advise is similar to the one “Me” shared. I will encourage you to become more tactful in your relationship with others. I also used to have that head on attitude and since I’ve become more diplomatic and less confrontational., I’ve been able to grow inwardly and outwardly. I’ve sustained and retained more meaningful relationships. Try and resolve the issue with your mom and sister and let them know how they wronged you and also be truthful about how you may have possible wronged them or let the situation go out of hand.

7. Tosin

December 25, 2015 at 2:37 am

Love this. God bless. 2016 is going to rock!

8. Onetallgirl

December 26, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I like it epilogue, short and to the point!

9. Kbebe

December 28, 2015 at 7:43 am

Hello dear. Another tip for job hunting is telling family and friends. Someone could just hear about something and remember you. Try fix your relationship with your mum and sister. I lost my mum about 7 years ago and I still miss her like hell. So please try. There’s a lot of compromise in relationships, you need to know which battles to fight and which to let go of. God bless you and tanx for sharing.