BN TV

Katie Price Clarifies She “would have aborted” Blind Disabled Son Statement

WOKING, UNITED KINGDOM - DECEMBER 20: Katie Price arrives at the New Victoria Theatre with sons Harvey and Junior on December 20, 2015 in Woking, England. (Photo by Alex B. Huckle/GC Images)

WOKING, UNITED KINGDOM – DECEMBER 20: Katie Price arrives at the New Victoria Theatre with sons Harvey and Junior on December 20, 2015 in Woking, England. (Photo by Alex B. Huckle/GC Images)

UK model and TV star Katie Price spoke up about living with a disabled child on daily talk show ‘Loose Women’.

She said when she was 24 and pregnant, if she had known her now 13-year-old teenage son would be disabled, she would have aborted him, but now she is mature, she will gladly even adopt a child with disabilities.

The statement drew criticism and support from viewers saying they love and appreciate her honesty, and she has defended herself on Twitter, saying her words were taken out of context.

Katie, whose son Harvey, with footballer Dwight Yorke has a rare condition called Prader-Willi syndrome where he is blind and constantly wants food, actually said the following –

“I was young when I had Harvey and I admit it – if I’d have known he was blind when I had him, as harsh as it sounds, I probably would have aborted him.

Now it’s like oh my god, no way.

Now if they said I was going to have a child with disabilities, I would definitely keep it. I would even adopt a child with disabilities.

Until you are in that situation, you don’t know.

Anyone who’s a carer, mother, anyone dealing with disabilities, I have so much respect because I know what goes into it.”

Watch!

Katie has three younger children.
Photo Credit: Alex B. Huckle/GC Images

1. Iris

March 2, 2016 at 1:35 pm

What part of what she said drew criticism? People should get out jo. She said she was young and knowing what she knows now, she’s glad she didn’t have the abortion. People abort babies for less serious reasons every day, so I assume her critics are the far right crowd who refuse to budge on abortion no matter what.

2. Grace

March 2, 2016 at 1:36 pm

You never know it all until you walk in their own shoes.

3. Agnes

March 2, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I understand her point of view, had she had enough awareness of the disabilities of her child to be born, she would have opted for an abortion, who would not? As crazy as she looks like, Katy is a really good mother to Harvey and his brothers. She endured a lot after her pregnancy and Harvey’s dad is not even in the picture. She does it all by herself with her support network which includes her mom, Peter Andre and some people that she trusts. Caring for a disable person, let alone a child is very energy and emotion draining, so time consuming and so much hard work. You worry so much for your child health that it may be hard to allocate time for the other kids and yourself. She does not regret Harvey, of course as he means the world to her. I applaud her for being a good and hard working mum. May God bless her!

4. kadara

March 2, 2016 at 2:01 pm

She said nothing wrong. I admire her honesty

5. Ada Nnewi

March 2, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Mother’s with disabled kids are MVPs

6. keke driver

March 2, 2016 at 3:00 pm

It isn’t easy….Kudos

7. Iunderstand

March 2, 2016 at 5:30 pm

As a mother of a handsome disabled son, I can totally relate. Especially in Nigeria where it’s tough and expensive to get a good support system. Notwithstanding, he is a wonderful child and everyday is a blessing. People should learn to support mothers and families raising special kids and just give them a listening ear.

We have some not so good days were it takes a toll on the parents and they have different ways of dealing with it

8. FasholasLover

March 2, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Katie (aka Jordan) has been a constant on Loose Women for a while now and l just admire her straight forward manner. She comes across as a very honest/good person. I don’t know what the brouhaha is all about. What she said is pretty clear except for mischief makers.

9. damseldam1

March 2, 2016 at 9:29 pm

i remember when she was pregnant with Harvey back then she was drinking and partying she didn’t look after herself or her pregnancy who knows …maybe….

• Ayoka