News

“Never feel embarrassed for being human” – Meet Chance Ward, the College Student with a Solution to Period Shaming

Chance Ward 11

An incident at the gym inspired college student Chance Ward‘s March 22 Facebook post on period shaming that went viral last week.

The teen student at the Carlifornia’s Occidental College and a community specialist at Occidental College Center for Gender Equity was at the gym when he overhead a girl asking if her friend had an extra tampon. The girl, as soon as she realized that she had been heard, apologized to Ward with an embarrassed look. Luckily, there were tampons in Ward’s fanny pack, which he immediately handed to the girl. The girl’s reaction was one of utter surprise.

Ward had this to say about her reaction, “By the look on her face you would have thought I did a magic trick and pulled 36 titty- tasseled bunny rabbits out that damn bag.”

On the said Facebook post, which had a lot of comments, likes and shares, Ward asked why anyone would be embarrassed by something “half of the world goes through”, pointing out that menstruating is human and natural.

Ward said, “Never feel embarrassed for being human” and added that there are always tampons in their fanny packs and backpacks!

Read the full Facebook post below:

Chance Ward

Photo Credit: Chance Ward’s Facebook page

1. La'Shonda Balogun

March 30, 2016 at 9:48 am

I think you’ll find that her look of “utter surprise” was because this MAN pulled a tampon out of HIS fancy pack, not because of any ‘period shame’…na wa

• Damilola

March 30, 2016 at 1:16 pm

There’s definitely period shaming. However, the look on her face had to do with a guy pulling out a pad, especially a flamboyant one. So, gays got their period now? Until they have one then I’ll believe Bruce Jenner is a woman. Some mothers make a big deal out of it by saying don’t let anybody know when you are menstruating. Ladies to ladies understand but immediately give you the look like girl, I’m not trying to think about that bcos they understand the cramps and being uncomfortable. Most men turn their noses up and immediately act like your vagina is forever stained. I had a bf though who thought nothing of it. I think, it had to do with being in the medical field. Then another bf who wouldn’t come close to me even cuddle which is quite ignorant. Some women still get embarrassed by it, blood coming out of your V is quite odd. If you understand the medical/biology behind it, you will embrace it more.

2. Halima

March 30, 2016 at 10:21 am

Who is ashamed of her period? I use to be as a teenager but not anymore. Like this days I could be like; ‘sorry, I couldn’t get that stuff done, my period showed up and I had to rest for a while’ abeg, period is nothing to me ashamed of and nobody should shame me because of my period.

3. Zik

March 30, 2016 at 10:32 am

I guess is ladies only… But period is nothing on this 21st century.

4. cath.

March 30, 2016 at 10:50 am

when you’ve waited and waited for the period to show? even if e show inside church it came out and actually stained you, you woudn’t mind shouting ‘halleluyah’

• Main Squeeze

March 30, 2016 at 11:14 am

Lmao. I can totally relate.

• african girl

March 31, 2016 at 2:42 pm

hahahaha hilarious

5. Big Tee

March 30, 2016 at 11:00 am

I keep tampons too, but for other things, I keep some in my closet in-case tap begins to rush unexpectedly, like when gbenshing too much or her shock absorber blows out because of my heavy duty machine and I start to dey see red.

• Bey

March 30, 2016 at 2:43 pm

wtf???!!

6. Niyoola

March 30, 2016 at 11:23 am

There IS period shaming. Some call it being ‘discreet’ but it goes beyond that.
    It’s double bagging your tampons/pads @ the supermarket
    It’s having to carry your whole bag to bathroom bcos you can’t ‘risk’ the 1 second flash of pink/green between your bag and pockets/purse.
    It’s the older women telling you at a young age ‎to not let any1 ‘know’. Telling you to dispose used pads outside in the communal bin.
    It’s guys frowning and turning up their noses when they hear periods. Some guys won’t even touch a packet of pads.
    It’s being ‘unclean’ when on your period. ‎
    It’s being evasive when telling people ‎what’s wrong with you…… repeat after me “I’m on my period/having MP”…… yup.

Someone once asked me why there was a tampon & pad in the min sxn of my bag (not the zipper part)….. and I was like why not?
    ‎Sadly, many women live this way because they don’t know any better….. and pass these on to their daughters…… Rinse and repeat.

• Missamaks

March 30, 2016 at 12:38 pm

My darling you are on point. Period shaming is real but me I have no shame at all. Carry your nose up, how do you think you came into this world? I’ve never cared about anyone knowing I’m on my period. I ALWAYS have a bad in my bag. Sometimes, like today, I have both.

7. Austar

March 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm

There is absolutely nothing to shamed of when seeing or on your period. My boyfriend has bought pads for me several times and I even taught him how to fix one just incase I am too weak to do it. At first it felt weird but he was so eager to learn. He buys for his sister and mom too. Some guys would never stay close to a girl that is on her period.

• anon

March 30, 2016 at 6:01 pm

But come o!?. When would you be so weak that you can’t put a pad on. In illness you shouldn’t even be wearing a tampon. Serious question o no throwing shades.

8. Anonymous

March 30, 2016 at 12:57 pm

He sees his periods?

9. Blessed

March 30, 2016 at 2:03 pm

My hubby will go as far as calling me from the supermarket in front of the cashier both female and mAle and ask me of my brand name! And my friends will be like what! There is nothing there, it’s a natural thing!

10. sibo

March 30, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Info on your period is personal , sharing it should be on a needs to know bases. Prehaps your doctor, gynea, husband, boyfriend, maybe girl friend if you need to explain why you being such a bitch or need to borrow a tampon. If anyone else over heard me talking bout my period who weren’t supposed to hear me I’d be embarrassed and apologise. Nobody needs to know bout your bodily secretions please people!!!!!!.It’s not actually a group discussion thing. There is a big difference between ghetto behaviour and female empowerment let’s not get it twisted. Period shaming indeed. There is noting I wouldn’t hear on social media. Infact some girls don’t even no how to sit down properly keeping thier knees together what a crying shame Mtchewwww

11. OA

March 30, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Ai-moye pads that I have sent my husband to buy, even when we were dating. Absolutely no big deal. A man who cannot buy pad/tampons for his girlfriend or wife has issues deeper than he himself knows.

12. goldfinch

March 30, 2016 at 4:26 pm

A guy once told me that he can’t be a member of a church headed by a female pastor. His reason is that he can’t have an ‘unclean’ woman laying hands on him or praying for him. By unclean, he meant menstruation.
    My people, the shaming is real!

13. kina

March 30, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I don’t know about period shaming but I do think there are some things that should remain private. Having a period is natural. Telling everyone you are on your period is weird and gross. I mean you can argue that farting picking your nose in public are all natural and should be allowed. What about talking about your poo yuck!I personally think it’s not lady like to declare you are on your period to strangers. The girl was right to be embarrassed

14. Zeeebby

March 30, 2016 at 5:37 pm

ME? TAKE SANITARY TOWEL FROM A RANDOM MAN IN NIGERIA? I REJECT IT….. YOU WILL JUST WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE VOMITING MONEY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGTH! EMI KO!……LMAO TOO MUCH NOLLYWOOD IS BAD

15. Californiabawlar

March 30, 2016 at 6:19 pm

My own brother spoke rudely to me once…my offence? He saw wrapper of pad…wrapper!!…no pad, no blood…in the bathroom !!! ??? He found it nasty and inappropriate. I was shocked to my marrow! My head just started humming…How is it I ended up with a chauvinistic butthole for a little brother?! Who raised this boy to have such beliefs?! In fact the words I gave him that day, in his life he’ll never repeat such to ANY woman, much less me.

Like I always tell my brothers both younger and older ones, I’m training them to be better husband for some poor chick out there.

Oshisko!

• Sibo

March 30, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Your brother was quiet right in asking you to clear up your mess. You would say the same if you saw condom wrappers left in the bathroom you share. It obvious Your brother has impecable hygiene standards And would probably marry/ date someone with excellent hygiene standards. Yes a period is natural it doesn’t give you an excuse to be unhygienic, and selfish about shared space. I’m a woman and HATE IT when females act stanky.

• Californiabawlar

March 30, 2016 at 11:25 pm

No you didn’t. F-that…. I didn’t make a mess boozo! He saw it in the trash! He said I left it where he could see it. Does that make sense to you? And even if he saw it on the sink or On the floor, he had no freaking right to call it nasty! If it had been soap wrapper would he have freaked out?! Please leave your contact let me forward it to him, madam impeccable excellent hygiene with no gaddam sense…well…nope I take that back, he now has more sense than to roll with a suegbe na pako like you. It’s people like you who perpetuate stupid stereotypes about standards that are ridiculous….yes he will marry one day and hopefully he has grown up around sisters that have thought about how to speak and react to women and our bodily processes. Not some douchebag who sees women as perfect little objects and render himself useless say for instance his wife just had a child.

Come sef, a pad wrap is same as condom wrap? Really? And you have made sense in your own eye liked that? Abeg just shut your pie hole my friend, acting like your shit don’t stink…now your self-loathing snotty attitude is what is skank! and it stinks right through your keyboards….gtfoh ?

16. Angie

March 30, 2016 at 6:49 pm

When I am on my period I do feel unclean ?I wash more often and go through a ridiculous amount of sanitary products to stay fresh. I have never felt ashame of my period it’s more an inconvenience to me than to anyone else. I don’t believe in period shaming I don’t understand the logic behind it. I can’t understand how anyone can have the power to make me feel ashame of a natural bodily function. I must admit that some women are really loud and uncouth about their periods and if you get a dirty look from someone then you deserve it, not everyone needs to hear about your period. So don’t force it down people’s throat. Respect people’s spaces and they’ll respect you. It’s reciprocal. Imagine if you heard a man talking loudly about his sperm in public disgusting right!. Just because people don’t broadcast their monthly cycle doesn’t mean they are ashame of it it just means that they got some decorum, I personally admire that in a person.

17. Question

March 30, 2016 at 8:33 pm

The real question is what is period shaming?

18. anonn

March 31, 2016 at 10:07 am

The one that amazes me is how the cashiers at shoprite will first put the pack of sanitary towel inside black nylon before putting it in the shoprite bag…. but they would put tissue rolls straight into the shoprite bag without black nylon….. EXPLAIN YOURSELF ABEG