Features

Abisola Alawode: Perhaps It’s Time For Mavins to Try Something Different

Mavin_Obi_Somto_Photography-82First there was Dorobucci, then came Oga Titus, followed by Jantamanta and most recently, Mungo Park. What do all these songs have in common apart from the fact that they were all released by Mavin records artistes? You could call them ‘corny’ and you won’t be wrong.

Don Jazzy is a genius. Let me state that clearly. His exploits in the Nigerian entertainment industry are second to none. But some of the songs that he and his team at Mavin have been churning out recently leave a lot to be desired.

One cannot blame the Mavins though. Corny songs have a way of resonating with Nigerians. We dance to them in clubs; we play them at our ceremonies even at sober events like burials. The Mavins have probably realized this hence the predominant style of music they put out. Having found success with Dorobucci, Don Jazzy and his Mavin team probably decided that this was the path to follow. Almost all the songs they put out after that had the same tempo.

This in itself is a good decision but at the same time, Don Jazzy should have seen the handwriting on the wall after the release of Jantamanta. I mean, this song was dead on arrival. The video did not help matters. Even the starring role of popular Nollywood actor Imeh ‘Ikon’ Bishop in the video of Oga Titus could not save the song from also crashing.

One might say the music style of the Mavins is working judging by the social media attention the songs mentioned above have gotten but I beg to differ.

The average Nigerian music lover wants to hear more than the current crop of commercial sounds that are constantly in our faces. There exists other genres of music our musicians can explore. Most of them even have songs like this but the fear of the ‘Nigerian market’ syndrome won’t let them release the songs.

These days, some are of the opinion that the Mavins as a collective unit have lost their music appeal because of the rate at which they put out cheesy songs. Some even claim that they can predict the kind of song each artiste on the roster may put out. This should not be the case.

One of the things that endeared Don Jazzy to and the defunct Mo’ Hits crew to fans back in the day was the fact that no one knew what they were up to music wise. There was always excitement in the air whenever D’banj, Wande Coal, Dr Sid or even D’Prince announced a new song. That excitement has been lost today in the Mavins.

With the number of talented artistes Mavin records has on its roster, perhaps it is time for them to switch things up.

Photo Credit: Obi Somto

Writer, Editor, Media Enthusiast, Music Lover, Indomie Eater, Spaghetti Lover, etc etc. Instagram|Twitter|Snapchat : Alawodz See more of my work : tattlesblog.wordpress.com

1. MusicLover

April 18, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I absolutely concur!!!

• BlueEyed

April 18, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Can they all go away

2. keke driver

April 18, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Everyone seems to have an opinion.

• goddessofvictory

April 18, 2016 at 5:31 pm

You just stated your opinion. so what is wrong in having an opinion?

3. Godwin

April 18, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Don Jazzy a genius? Why do we throw about words like icon,legend and genius so loosely? It is apparent the author of this article was holding back from saying all he wanted to say because of fear.

For the avoidance of doubt,let me state categorically that talent is one thing that cant and shouldn`t be used in the same sentence with any of the Mavin artiste.There you go,I said it and it wasn`t too hard to say.

Damn,Nigeria are so scared of stating the obvious!

• Seyi

April 18, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Stating the obvious? I hate people like you that act like you’re some authority on music. Music is subjective. It’s fine if you don’t think the mavins are talented. But it’s also fine for someone else to think otherwise.

• chichi

April 18, 2016 at 5:46 pm

But @godwin you’re missing the point as the author stated, the genius part is knowing that you can get millions of people to dance to and love a track called dorro bucci which ends up making you millions of naira. I bought into that track like most people but can agree didn’t fall for the other mavin group tracks. Maybe adoabi

• I just waka come...

April 18, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I’m sorry I could ‘love’ your comment once, but know that in my heart, I’ve loved it a billion times.

• I just waka come...

April 18, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I’m referring to Godwin’ comment.

• Jade

April 18, 2016 at 8:42 pm

If they state the obvious many will come with insults including you asking what has the author done except crticizing. Nigerians are a tough group of meanies…lol

• lala

April 18, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Give props where it’s due plzzzzzz. Don J is a genius. He created several sounds which have been emulated time and time again. The production and concept of Dorobucci is brilliant. There’s a generation of Nigerians that are really only attuned to Nigerian music. Perhaps it’s them and not you that should proffer opinions on this subject.

4. bruno

April 18, 2016 at 5:37 pm

its not only marvins, its the entire nigerian music industry.
    nigerian musicians show zero growth in their sound or in their artistic direction. all their songs sound the same. corny, empty, over auto tuned are few words used to describe naija songs.

don’t get me started on the music videos. to a nigerian, a good music video is lots of girls shaking their bum bum, bottles popping, cars.

I don’t blame them, thats what the Nigerian public likes. so they will continue giving it to them.

in america let the sound or artistic direction on ur new album be the same with ur previous album, u will flop heavily. go and ask lady gaga.

that their song jamantata is so f***king corny.the video is so horrible. grown men and women behaving like kids. but thats what Nigerians like.so they will probably make more videos and songs like that.

• Rufina

April 19, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Bella Naija… is there some way to incorporate smileys into your comment section so that I can give Bruno a resounding applause.
      I taya for the Nigerian music industry. You have a few good ones but the rest leave a lot to be desired. But we can’t complain too much; we celebrate this mediocrity ourselves…

• Educate me

April 20, 2016 at 6:01 am

Oya try… name those few good one. I dey wait

5. Fifi

April 18, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Some of their recent songs have been craaapppp, i dont even know any of that reekado song, korede bello aside from Godwin and romantic, but that mungo park was crappppp from the video to the actually song

6. Chic

April 18, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Everyone has their style of music…not all artists have to shout “SKIBOROBO SKIBO” (whatever that means) or use vulgar language to pass their msg across. Not all songs must make the hits list as well. The Mavins ain’t doing badly even though there’s always room for improvement. Songs by Reekado Banks are also meaningful. Let’s respect one another’s differences.

7. Ayo

April 18, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Whatever…I liked the goofing around in jantamanta. They can produce what they like. You can listen to other artistes for your deep, inspirational whatever. They don’t have to be everything to everybody

8. Missy J

April 18, 2016 at 6:35 pm

My friend and I were just discussing this today while listening to hits from Mo’hitS from Pere to Ten Ten and so on.
    Mavins still has a long way to go though(comparing them to Mo’hits)

• Rufina

April 19, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I miss Mo’Hits mehn! And trust me I was a believer….. Suddenly, Ten Ten, Soko, Jasi, Funk you up, Kimon, Booty Call, Close to you, their CV album and the final one that took the cake: MUSHIN TO MOHITS from Wande Coal. Those were back to back hits…. I was in love. *sob sob*
      The amazing thing is that even when you listen to it today, you still groove to it.

9. Tee

April 18, 2016 at 6:44 pm

This article is one of the things I hate about Nigerians everyone has an opinion and must share it by force there’s no time I come to Nigeria I don’t get unsolicited advice from absolute strangers/I too knows on my clothes my skin my hair everything a beg joor go and sing too

10. Shawn Dee

April 18, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I love you @ tee. It time for Nigerians to channel all these their intellectual opinions towards developing the country. Nigeria is in a mess. Basic amenities are like luxury ….isn’t that a shame! Giant of Africa indeed!

11. Cher

April 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Romantic is a bit different ! But I get you they are a bit repetitive with the continuous repeating of one word for example : Dorobucci , I Concur , Adaobi etc !

12. TdMusic

April 19, 2016 at 8:34 am

I sincerely can’t place d blame on d Mavins…. They sincerely are giving Nigerians wat dey want…. People like this author are in d minority. The average Nigerian wants mind numbing music dat provokes little thought or inspiration. A form of escapism if u will.

So blame the listeners, Korede Bello just celebrated 1 million Instagram followers… Actions speak for itself…. so again wat dir putting out is working… Blame ur listening public not the artists…. #EnofSaid

13. Omotee

April 19, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Perhaps you should move to the artists or genres that meet your definition of good music cos whatever they do is working well. I’m not a great fan of the mavins and many of these artists and their lewd lyrics but this crappy thing they churn out sells. A lot. They are doing well. Music is subjective. I’m a Bez Idakula, Darey, Asa type of girl myself but that’s just me. Just because it’s not working for you doesn’t mean anything. I mean. Who died and made you king of music land?