Scoop

Apparently Pounded Yam and Egusi can Cause Controversy Too! Tammy Rivera’s Post Proves This

Tammy Rivera, wife of rapper Waka Flocka and one of the stars of Love & Hip Hop Atlanta posted a picture on her Instagram page. The picture shows what appears to be a woman (most likely Tammy) eating pounded yam/fufu dipped in Egusi soup with her fingers.

charlies angelll

TheShadeRoom then picked up the picture on their page and people can’t seem to stop talking about it. Some of the comments coming in range from funny, to downright ignorant any you would be surprised at what a bowl of Egusi can cause.

This reminds us of a video last year, where some YouTubers made Americans try fufu and soup – click here if you missed it.

Here are some of the responses some people left on both accounts:

shade room 11

shade room 10 shade room 9 shade room 8 shade room 7 shade room 6 shade room 5 shade room 4 shade room 3 shade room 2 shade room1

Photo Credit: Tammy Rivera | @charliesangelll

1. Lol

April 6, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Omo one chick said spinach and corn bread not even spinach and mashed potatoes. Lmao I have stopped trying to correct the ignorance with some African american about African countries and our culture. The ones that want to learn will learn if not keep it moving. Stop trying to explain yourself.

• shakitibobo

April 6, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Tbh, eating with your hands is very unsanitary and unpleasant especially with those long nails where there’s so much germs and dirts hidden underneath. Probably that’s what’s grossing people out.

• Bebabe

April 6, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I agree with you. What happened to using a fork if your nails are too long?

• fleur

April 7, 2016 at 4:03 am

My worry is with all the germs under those talons. When you have nails that long, you have implicitly made a decision not to eat with your hands because you will just be cleaning the insides of your nails with your food – especially soup. Next time get a fork, spoon or something OR, cut those nails.

2. BlueEyed

April 6, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Not to run the risk of sounding like the “superior African” but really black Americans will continue to embarrass themselves, because even white people don’t belittle other people’s culture in the denigrating way that black Americans do and that is unfortunate.

• Surely

April 7, 2016 at 4:50 am

first of all, you’re not being honest.
      White people do the same thing. Ignorance regarding Africans is everywhere especially more in the Americas than Europe.
      This is how you people buy the lies about black Americans that white people sell you and eat it like egousi.

3. Manny

April 6, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Fork please!!

4. boluji

April 6, 2016 at 4:25 pm

don’t know if they just wanted to be rude but ignorance is not an excuse, granted you didn’t know what it is making comments that its disgusting or nasty is just plain silly, if anything it looks like scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms even if they couldn’t explain the pounded yam the o its African must be crap mentality is stupid, you want to tell me home made lasagne is pretty, or even cottage pie.

5. Sandra Izsadore

April 6, 2016 at 6:49 pm

As a Black Afrikan American woman I am so happy when our American sisters take the shackles of division off their minds and explore their Afrikan roots. Embrace what is ours, glorify what God has given us.

• Somborri

April 6, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Is this the real Ms Sandra Izsadore??? Hello Ma’am! Luv ya!

6. chi-e-z

April 6, 2016 at 7:04 pm

eba nd egusi is life! but she could hv taken it w/o the fingers does look a little grosser that way. but menh it taste so oo dang good. I can’t go a week without.

• Surely

April 7, 2016 at 4:51 am

Colonial mentality. Is burger grosser with hands??? Americans use their hands a lot!

7. Marlvina

April 6, 2016 at 8:03 pm

OMG! How does one eat ‘swallow’ with such nails?

8. ElessarisElendil

April 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I was in the midst of scrolling down to actually read and I thought to myself WTF; of all the things to waste fuel on. Mbanu!! my ancestors won’t stand for it.

9. Meanwhile...

April 6, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Is it Just me or does that lady have her LEFT HAND in the food?!?! Please tell me I’m mistaken… The position of the thumb doesn’t make sense to me ooooooooo…..

• Ello Bae

April 7, 2016 at 12:22 am

Ok! I hope you are not insinuating that there is something wrong with her using her left hand to eat? Left handed people do get hungry too you know.

• Surely

April 7, 2016 at 4:52 am

What’s wrong with using your ;eft hand to eat?? I use my right hand to wipe my butt since it’s my more efficient hand so in any case, my left hand “should” be cleaner… Stop upholding tradition without using your brain.

• Taiwo

April 7, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Are you one of those people I need to smack?? What’s wrong with using left hand biko??? My left hand to me, is what your right hand is to you.

10. I Concur!

April 9, 2016 at 8:01 pm

To the person who said they don’t know who is more racist? S/he don lost her/his mind! I started to post my rant/vent on somebody’s pre-wedding photo shoot and caught myself bet sinz dis post don surface, over to me. AA’s at my job (can’t speak for anyone else anywhere else oh), have led me to come to seemingly exaggerated but reasonable belief that AA’s are more racist than oyibo! They have put me through so much crap, they backbite, complain, just for doing’s sake oh all because I am African. Na jolosi we go call am? All because I carried my behind to law school and suffered for three years come pass Bar Exam on top am and I have become automatic enemy #1! And I only told a handful in the dept. cos I didn’t want their wahala oh! Big mistake! DiarisGodoh! I cannot wait for the day I leave that place. I get so much gripe from them, it’s almost pathetic! And they will be saying BLM (Black Lives Matter)…I guess Black Africans’ lives don’t considering the stress they put we Africans through. I know quite a few people who are going through the same thing.

11. Theonenonly

April 20, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Not yours. African American and African are two different cultures.