Features

Life Hacks With Toby: 50 Things You Can Do For Fun This Weekend With 1,000 Naira (Besides Watching TV & Pressing Your Phone)

Pic 1I made a new friend earlier this week. And while we were talking, she asked me what I do for fun. “Watching movies”, I replied. It wasn’t until much later that I remembered that I enjoy swimming and travelling too.

Some of us live on a pressure-cooker lane, and these fun things are what helps us create a balance so as not to break down.

For many of us, the only thing we do for fun is watching movies or ‘pressing our phones’. But what if there was no TV to watch or phones to press, what would you do for fun?

Below is a list of 50 things you can do for fun this weekend, and the good news is that you can do most of them alone. So, not having a ‘special somebody’ won’t be a problem.

Here goes:

1. Play Football with the Local Team.

If you no fit play, at least go watch and cheer for them.

1. Travel Without Purpose.

You don’t need to go very far. You could just board a bus to Enugu from Onitsha. And when you get to Enugu, you board another bus and return to Onitsha.

1. Go window shopping.

No matter how expensive things may have gotten, window shopping is still free. So give yourself a treat, and imagine what you’d buy when you finally get money.

1. Go to the Cinema.

This is better than watching TV at home, trust me.

1. Visit the Nearest Beach.

Whether na Bar beach or Obibia-Awka stream beach, beach na beach

1. Visit the Nearest airport and look around.

This is fun, unless of course flying for you is like entering okada.

1. Gatecrash a wedding

Look out for the closest wedding reception holding around you, and attend without invitation. This is more fun when you do it with friends.

1. Take professional photos.

Go to a photo-studio near you with a Ghana-must-go-bag full of clothes. Take as many pictures in as many poses as possible. Make sure you collect all your soft copies first.

1. Play Loud Music Indoors.
  2. And Dance like mad
  3. Take a very long walk in the evening.

This will work better if you have a special somebori, or at least a dog.

1. Eat something crazy.

Like suya with eggs and pap. But eat small-small o, make u no purge.

1. Read a hardcore detective (crime) novel

John Grisham or James Hadley Chase is a good start.

1. Play a board game

Monopoly, Ayo, Chess, Scrabble or even Ludo. It is more fun with friends shaa.

15. Attempt cooking something you saw on TV

1. ‘Forget’ your phone at home and visit your neighbor.
  2. Visit the closest local park with your kid or a friend’s/relative’s kid

And play with the kid

1. Attempt juggling.
  2. Look out for the closest book club and join it.
  3. Visit the nearest zoo or wildlife reserve.
  4. Draw/Paint

Even if you suck at it, scribble something and have fun.

1. Write your will.

Don’t worry, you won’t die. But it will be fun to know who and what really matters to you.

1. Teach yourself to knit
  2. Write

Just write whatever comes to your mind that is up to 500/1,000 words

1. Start a blog

You don’t have to be Linda Ikeji. Just go to blogger.com or wordpress.com, start and build something you can call your own.

1. Go swimming, but read this first!
  2. Build a time capsule.

Collect some things you regularly use and store them somewhere you can open only 5 or 10 years later.

1. Watch your old photos
  2. Go on a picnic.

Will work better if you don’t do it alone

1. Throw a Bring Your Own Everything Party (B.Y.O.E.P)

Organize a get together but let your friends come with their own food. Everybody can either share or exchange.

1. Plan a romantic dinner.

It doesn’t need to be expensive. You just need some candles, a bottle of wine, and that special somebori.

1. Go on a fruit hunt adventure.

I once did this as a student, and it was so much fun. I remember climbing a mango and cashew tree. Then we threw sticks at the rest. We returned with so much fruits.

We could have bought them, but we would have lost out on the adventure

1. Partake in a community voluntary service
  2. Join a local choir.

You can start by going to your church choir. Membership is usually free.

1. And while you are at it, try learning a musical instrument.

I feel so good whenever I get to play doh-fah-fah-doh-doh-soh-soh-doh if our church keyboardist misses a service.

1. Score your favourite song

You’ve laughed enough at the Nigerian Idol participants. Get your own song. Score it, sing it, record it and get a friend to be your judge.

1. Pretend you are a kid again and play your favourite childhood games.
  2. Rearrange your house
  3. Babysit for someone you know.

You can make a little money from this. But you can still have fun doing it for free, especially if you love babies.

1. Flirt with a random stranger.

But be careful not to take things further. Just have a fake phone number handy. (No talk say na me send you o)

1. Plant a garden

Skip this if your landlord no go gree

1. Call an old friend/relative you haven’t spoken to in more than three years, and catch up.
  2. Start learning a new language.

It is always great to be able to respond if someone speaks to you in a language different from English. Moreover, the world is now a global village; you may need it one day.

1. Play Sudoku or some other puzzle.
  2. Write a letter to your future spouse, future children or future grandchildren
  1. Play an old video game

You remember all those old sega-mega-drive, and Ps 1 & 2 games? Dig them out and have fun if you still have them.

1. Ride a bicycle
  2. Learn to drive a motorcycle.

It doesn’t mean you will become an okada man tomorrow. Do it for fun and the thrill. I did it one day two years ago and it was exhilarating.

1. Learn to drive a car.

If you are up to 21 you should learn to drive. That ability can save a life one day. You don’t have a car? Durrhhh. Many of us don’t either, but we’ve been driving since 1864.

1. Read up on a journal or a diary you wrote about 5 or 10 years ago.

You will love the memories.

Okay, I am exhausted. But I want us to make this up to 100. So what are the fun things you get to do during weekends or when you are not working? Please add yours in the comment section. Or if any of the items in this list rings a bell, or brings back emotional memories, please share your experience with us.

Happy Weekend Fellas!

Toby Nwazor is a free lance writer and motivational speaker who believes that life is meant to be lived and not just existed in. He is equally an entrepreneur with a lot of hands-on experience in business start-ups, marketing, and customer service. He passionately writes every Monday and Wednesday on www.mystartupceo.com about helping entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs build successful start-ups

1. A Real Nigerian

April 15, 2016 at 9:11 am

I feel as if I just wasted 2-3 minutes of my life reading this.

• Rampage

April 15, 2016 at 9:52 am

I wasted 5 seconds reading your comment.

• Edu

April 15, 2016 at 9:59 am

lol! kinda long though

• Omolola

April 15, 2016 at 10:01 am

Too harsh! It’s more of humor joor. Get the drift……

April 15, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Now that was just not fair at all. U just did a very good job of trying to kill my spirit. I mean, why bother writing if I’m just gonna ‘waste your time’? I wonder if I would be writing anything at all today if comments like this were the only things I saw when I was starting out.
      I won’t really blame you. I am sure you don’t have an idea of how many hours I spent trying to write these things, especially this particular one.
      #Sad #disappointed #feelingterrible

• Ekina

April 15, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I feel the need to apologise and I will. I’m sorry for that hurtful comment, no one deserves that. Don’t let anyone (or comment) rain on your parade Toby. Keep doing you and by all means, keep blessing those of us who appreciate your articles with Life Hacks.

• Idak

April 15, 2016 at 1:51 pm

This is worth breaking a vow for.
      I stopped by to tell you that i thoroughly enjoyed this piece.
      I love your attitude and the simplicity in your ways is admirable.
      Very funny and interesting piece.
      May you continue to find joy in little things.
      Best wishes.

• Me

April 15, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Are u serious, na by force to like your write up. If someone not liking your write up killed your spirit you better change that mentality because not everybody would always like what you write.

• glow

April 15, 2016 at 2:57 pm

awwww…u really dont have to, pple will always say trash and they don”t have the ability or even the sense to write up something…next time, just laugh over their comment.
      really loved the article, will try some this weekend.
      thumbs up, keep it up and keep shinning

• NaijaPikin

April 15, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Don’t worry we the lovers of life appreciate this article. A good reminder to live life and have FUN. Be silly, be goofy, be you. Loads of Naija pple are so stuck on living a fake life. If its not club, party, or forming in some social setting, they cannot appreciate it

• Ada

April 15, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I love all your suggestions jareee! Instead of waiting till you have 500k and above to travel y not jst have fun right were you are with jst 1k. I love all you wrote! quite adventurous although not all! Well done. Will try something! Even national theater!

• e

April 17, 2016 at 12:25 am

I read your suggestions to the last line and the only reason i decided to read comments was because I thought others would share the same sentiments. Thanks for this write up. I am one of those people that have gotten caught up with living in a pressure cooker lane as you called it and would have been one to reply to what do you do for fun with “nothing” or “watching tv” but thanks for reminding me that I already do some of what you suggested and they are also good response to what do you do for fun. Thanks for this write up. Not everyone would like what you wrote, but for every nay sayer, there is one thousand and one people on the other end rooting for you. You have made my day with your write up and I cant thank you enough. May you have someone make your day like you did mine if you ever find yourself in similar situation.

• Oluwadunsin

May 16, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Noooooo Don’t u ever allow anybody to pull u down with the words of their mouth, that’s humans for u! Some people are just haters naturally, its in their blood and they find it difficult to appreciate good things. As a matter i fact, i LUV this right up and it really opened my eyes to things i can do on my own cos i really dont av friends. Ride on, You r doing great and sensible things.

2. Ladybird

April 15, 2016 at 9:21 am

Hey Toby! You seem like a fun person. Anyway great post! I will keep this in mind whenever I have nothing much to do.

April 16, 2016 at 9:16 am

Yea, I think I am, except that many times, work, responsibilities, and a daily-reminder-that-I-have-bills-to-pay, doesn’t permit me to have all the fun I wish to have.

• joenocare

May 16, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Hi, Toby had fun reading this joor, in fact I might try 30 or 40 this weekend. 34 sha I no think say joining choir na free this days sha

3. kuluwa

April 15, 2016 at 9:31 am

Hmmmmm, God give me the boldness to start as it’s never too late.

April 16, 2016 at 9:54 am

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

4. Nanfe idoko

April 15, 2016 at 9:41 am

interesting piece , but i like n0 40 best of all. i and my friends are still laughing. I am happy some one sees beyond Tevee, phone and social MEDIA, Life is all about fun fun fun. so i will go out and have fun this weekend

5. dupsy

April 15, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hmmmm

6. cybernd

April 15, 2016 at 10:03 am

the writer should as well have suggested “day dreaming fantasies” cos some of the suggestions here surely cost more than 1000,

• 'Oma

April 15, 2016 at 10:52 am

None of them actually cost more than N1000.He’s accurate on that one.There are floweres for instance that are N700

7. seriouslyjoking

April 15, 2016 at 10:09 am

I found it funny and interesting. Welldone Toby

April 16, 2016 at 10:05 am

thanks a million

8. Frankie

April 15, 2016 at 10:10 am

No. 2 is quite funny – “You could just board a bus to Enugu from Onitsha. And when you get to Enugu, you board another bus and return to Onitsha.” Lolzzzzzz

9. Ifelolu

April 15, 2016 at 10:11 am

Awwww! This was such a fuuuuuuuuun read! I loved it. Laughed mostly. Will return for the comments and choose the one I like best of the 50 options. You write well, Toby! Well done!

April 16, 2016 at 9:58 am

10. TheShakaraGirl

April 15, 2016 at 11:10 am

Found this so funny, travel from Enugu to Onitsha and back again….LMAO

shakaragirl.com

• Tosin

April 15, 2016 at 1:02 pm

you should try it.
      I LOVE road trips. Did a Lagos-Ekiti round trip one year. Public transport. Touched Ikogosi Warm Springs and turned back again. Birthday sturvs.

11. zarah baby

April 15, 2016 at 11:11 am

Nice one

12. Onajyte

April 15, 2016 at 11:40 am

Wow..this is quite fun. brings past memories to life….if i can’t gatecrash a wedding…sure will be doing no. 9 & 10 this weekend. yipeeeee!!!

April 16, 2016 at 10:01 am

Please share your experience with me at [email protected] when you are done. lol

13. roxxi

April 15, 2016 at 11:44 am

LOL…..I remember how many times i have written my WILL out of boredom !!!! LOL

14. Miwa

April 15, 2016 at 11:55 am

This is totally true, having fun is not always that expensive but we in Nigeria just love our Tv’s and phones. Will try the dinner stuff with le boo hope it goes well

15. Rahama

April 15, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Loves this!!!!!! Nigerians Can be so basic!!!!!definitely have to try something new this weekend!!!

16. Oyin

April 15, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I love ds

17. FinchleysFinest

April 15, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I think this suggestions makes sense in some other part of the world.. where the level of depressions high.
    In Nigeria, as bad as our economy is…We are happy regardless and we down just sit home to watch TV…. I know this because I have lived in different part of the world..

More useful to people in other part of the world…my opinion. lol

April 16, 2016 at 9:59 am

hahahahahaha. As in we are strong people, and no matter what, we dey kampe

18. Tosin

April 15, 2016 at 1:00 pm

You already know I love you.
    Life is simple. Why make it hard?

19. Nonye

April 15, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Thanks Toby! I did laugh at a number of to dos. I love the part about climbing trees to pluck fruits. Only problem is I can’t find any in my estate ..lol! Anyways, I’ll add playing kite and hoola hoops, learning salsa dance, monopoly and other board games, running a race on my street to know who is the fastest…you’d be surprised to know how fit you are; play table tennis for fun and organize lesson for kids around you.

• NaijaPikin

April 15, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Uhhh I love the running race. Will do that with my siblings this weekend. the neighbors will be quite confused. lol

April 16, 2016 at 10:06 am

i love your suggestions Nonye. I wish we could meet and hang out this weekend

20. Oma

April 15, 2016 at 1:14 pm

The Cinema post actually cost more than N1000, an adult ticket is a N1300, and I love me some pop corn and coke, these extras are N800. But I loved the article, especially the humor

April 16, 2016 at 10:02 am

THanks for reading Oma. you are right, though it depends on the cinema you go to. Some cost as low as 500 sef, but without popcorn o

21. dammy

April 15, 2016 at 1:27 pm

It’ a gr8t post…byebye 2 weekend boredomness..trying new thing is a challenge….gud write-up

April 16, 2016 at 10:03 am

i’m glad you found it helpful dammy

22. Las

April 15, 2016 at 1:36 pm

My guy, are you sure you are a Nigerian? 😀

April 16, 2016 at 9:58 am

I think so. At least that’s what my parents told me. And even if they lied, the fact that I have lived in nigeria all my life should make me qualified sha. lol

23. Stige

April 15, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Another fun filled thing you can do is to chat me on 07050998254 WhatsApp. You will be happy you do.

24. Duchess Maria

April 15, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I always enjoy reading your articles Toby, they are usually so helpful and practical. This was a pretty good list, I will definitely steal some of these ideas. Thank you!

April 16, 2016 at 9:53 am

You are welcome Duchess. Thanks for your kind words

25. Stylz

April 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

51.) Netflix and Chill.

26. Chinny

April 15, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I have not really read all of you life hack write ups but this one is so special, funny and practical. You are doing a great job Tobs and helping people not to go crazy in this country. More ink to your biro, well done bruv.

April 16, 2016 at 9:56 am

Chinny Chinny. You need to read them o. you are supposed to be my biggest fan o, I don’t know what you are doing. Mtchewww. We go talk later shaa. lol

27. Great Lady

April 15, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Great article as always Toby. My weekends are usually very boringgggggghh. I’ll try some things on this list. Thanks for sharing.

28. Great Lady

April 15, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Sorry I forgot to add that the suggestions arefunny especially number 2. Lol. I wish we could be friends.

April 16, 2016 at 9:50 am

Why not? Lol. I could be very boring though. Check me up on facebook. ‘Toby Nwazor

29. victor

April 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm

nice suggestions will surely try one of this soon

30. C

April 15, 2016 at 3:52 pm

at travel without purpose what a joke . So i should risk my life without a destination ,when travailing with purpose in 9ja is already so dangerous . its by the grace of God we make it home safely everyday when you think of all the things we overcome pot holes,high bus drivers ,no street lights,underage drivers etc . PLEASE WRITE YOUR ARTICLES SENSIBLY .

31. NaijaPikin

April 15, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Play childhood games – 10/10, Suwe
    Go to Apapa Amusement park
    Have a cook off with a friend
    Look for a local buka or palm wine joint, order something light, chill in a corner and people watch.
    Go anywhere with loads of people and people watch. Its so much fun.
    Get friends together and have a fashion parade (fashpa) lol.
    Get your younger ones or friends younger ones to come and sing and dance for you.(relive secondary school social night)

After reading Esco’s post on death. This post makes so much sense. Forget about peer pressure, forget about what society thinks. Live in the moment and remember to have fun. Peace of mind and happiness is all that matters.

32. Yuddy'sworld

April 15, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Toby,, no mind them.
    For me, your write up brought back good old memories. I usually would always take an hour or more to watch my old photos, comparing them with newer ones and imagining what my future photos would look like.
    Thanks bro.
    Keep it up.

April 16, 2016 at 9:25 am

I try to do that from time to time, and I always enjoy it

33. chinedu

April 15, 2016 at 10:30 pm

wow! for me this is just an inspiration, just grab so many ways in which I can add colour to life. nice one toby.

April 16, 2016 at 9:26 am

Thanks for reading my man

34. Manny

April 15, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Toby! You should by now that “Real Nigerian” is evil and the worst kind of troll.
    I love, love this

April 16, 2016 at 9:16 am

Hehehehehehe. Funny you

35. wale

April 16, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Excellent as usual. keep up the good work. no mind the first comment.

36. Kemi o

April 16, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Awesome job as usual Toby! Tx so much for d list, I did about two things in this list and it was fun! ??

37. Baddolicious

April 18, 2016 at 8:33 am

hahahaaha I enjoyed reading this.
    IF you’re married…buy enough food, snacks and drinks and don’t come out of the room all day *wink*. If you have kids, get a sitter for the day, parents, friends etc
    Discover new positions with your spouse 😀

IF you’re single….fast and pray make conji no kill you before world end….

April 28, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Chai Baddolicious. Tharis not fair naa. Oya let me begin fasting and prayer bicos konji is bad o. Chei!

38. Oluwadunsin

May 16, 2016 at 3:56 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Dont u eva allow people to pull u down with the words of their mouths cos that’s some people’s assignment on earth! tThey are naturally allergic to people doing good and doing well, there’s nothing u can do to help dem. As a matter of fact, this piece is really great cos it has opened my eyes to things i can do on my own to av fun weneva i’m bored as i don’t really av friends. Ride on dear, great job ur doing!

June 21, 2016 at 11:22 am

Thanks. By the way, is this my Uncle from NCCF Abeokuta?

39. Ibe Tochukwu

May 30, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Great article..Simple life or simplicity means making life rich
    without money. Laugh daily- Thanks for sharing…
    promarketingbrand.