Scoop

History Channel Premieres “Roots” Remake | Exceeds Viewers Expectations

BellaNaija.com

CjkNFl7W0AAKaA9

Nearly 40 years after “Roots” first captured the world’s attention, it has returned to the TV Screens. History Channel‘s remake of the 1977 miniseries debuted last night on Memorial Day.

The series retells the tale of Kunta Kinte played by Malachi Kirby, the African man sold into slavery in the 1700s and if you did not have the chance to see the original series—which still holds the record for the second highest rated series finale of all time—it’s very possible that your mind will be blown away.

Roots remake 5

One of the lead stars Anika Noni Rose in a chat with E! News said “It has been 40 years, loads of children know nothing about the phenomenon that [Roots] was. They don’t really know the history of the United States—and I blame the history books for that—so it’s definitely time. It’s such an important time for what is going on in our world now, especially for young people of color. This is very important”.

Stars in the series include Rapper Tip “T.I” Harris who plays Cyrus, Forest Whitaker as Fiddler, Anna Paquin as  Nancy Holt, Laurence Fishburne as Alex Healey, Mathew Good as Dr William Waller to mention a few

roots remake 4

According to  T.I., the remake is the perfect way to get the history-filled message of the story in front of kids who may not be interested in watching a show from the 1970s.

“This is the information age, so we are supposed to provide the new generation with all the information the earth has to offer, so although there has been an informative piece—then the most watched series ever on television—that came out of 1977, they are not going to watch it because it just feels a little dated, When a child who is 16 or 17 years old puts it on, it’s more of a job then watching it simply because of the way it looks. I think right now, in order to give the story to the next generation and this generation, we have to update and we have to add in more pieces that inform them and give them more perspective on life before slavery.”

The show airs on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 9 pPM on The History Channel, Lifetime, and A+E.

Watch the trailer here:

1. jemine

May 31, 2016 at 10:57 am

Sweet!!!

2. Californiabawlar

May 31, 2016 at 11:03 am

Ready wanted to watch…but mehnnn….I work around too many oyinbos to come and be watching Roots! I’m not fixing to punch someone in the throat randomly.
    Didn’t watch 12 years a slave, The Butler or any such themed films. I can’t come and koba myself. Hmmn.

• Fifi

May 31, 2016 at 12:01 pm

???????

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 31, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Girlllllll…. I bought the book – “12 years a slave” – and used take it to work to read during my lunch breaks. I’d leave it very prominently displayed face up on my desk and curiously noticed that oyibos who, on a normal day, would usually make small talk in the vein of, “Oh what are you reading?” somehow COMPLETELY avoided any chat about the book on my desk. And you’re right about the feeling of wanting to both cry and punch someone in the throat after reading such facts about black history… I was very prickly and terse with white folk for a while.

But “Roots” is a total classic though. Man, I loved that book, still have it in my library back at my parent’s house and I’ve probably read it 4 times now. Hope Alex Haley’s family (just wondering as well – is he still alive?) stayed involved in the production.

3. Mywifeisfiiiiiiine

May 31, 2016 at 11:49 am

Saw it last night on the History channel, way better than the original.

• Tosin

May 31, 2016 at 4:28 pm

wow, and the original was mighty great, soo…

and i usually avoid remakes. and sequels.

• Mywifeisfiiiiiiine

May 31, 2016 at 4:47 pm

O and did you guys notice the guy that was Kunta Kinte in the original, he was in the carriage that took away the two ladies that were to be sold to another farm in Georgia. I thought that was cool, like a passing of the torch kinda thing.

4. Seun

May 31, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Mans inhumanity to man,thank God for the indomitable human spirit.

5. Becca

May 31, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Left to God we’ll still have slaves and be burning and stoning people over sexual orientation but we man realised our morality and tolerance is far superior to God’s.

An African believing in the laws and morals of a God is like is like a jew believing in the morals and laws of the nazi party.

• Beht why

May 31, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Here comes Becca…. why not just leave God alone, afterall you claim to be an atheist. Why the constant antagonism?

• Becca

May 31, 2016 at 4:15 pm

You realise you are 99% atheist? You just believe in one less God.

6. LadyWithoutTheAfrolocs

May 31, 2016 at 2:25 pm

@ Becca, really?!!!!
    may God forgive you. Amen.

• Becca

May 31, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Why does he need to forgive me?

The fact that we ended slavery shows that our morals come from within us and not God. The New Testament still endorsed slavery as do many other religions. However we the human race collectively decided slavery is not morally acceptable and we ended it. No God or religion needed. The world today operates on a higher and more tolerant moral code than the God of Theism. Fact.

• Becca

May 31, 2016 at 4:46 pm

And since we’re talking about a slave film. The prayer position, kneeling with hands clasped together actually originated as a submissive slave stance, offering one’s hands to be shackled.

• Abby

May 31, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Please please and please do NOT derail this post abeg. Carry your issues elsewhere. Thank you.

7. Drew

May 31, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Watching the original ROOTS was the best time I ever spent on Youtube! Ever! And every black person must watch it attest once in a lifetime. Looking forward to watching this version.

8. memyselfandi

May 31, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Wow I remember first watching Roots over a decade ago and the other miniseries still by Alex Haley “Queen” starring Halle Berry. Thank God I bought the original DVD collection those are keepsakes

9. hezekina pollutina

May 31, 2016 at 6:33 pm

eye see eye candy…

10. Pretty girl

May 31, 2016 at 7:21 pm

I have just refused to watch all these kind of movies. I can’t come and be crying were people are

11. The real dee

May 31, 2016 at 10:49 pm

I watched Part 1 on A&E yesterday and I was so troubled. I have three more parts to go and I hope I can carry on to the end.
    To be frank, all these slavery movies can make someone hate White people. I had to be reminding myself, a Christian does not hate, we are commanded to love, I must love white people despite the evils their ancestors did to black people. I wonder how white people feel when they watch slavery movies like Roots.

I had to start making excuses in my head for white people, excuses like, black people sold black people into slavery just so I won’t give my white neighbour a hot slap the next time I see him.

And you know the most annoying part, some white supremacists in the US still have the mentality that Black people are ‘slaves’ and should be at the lowest ebb of the society. Racism is engrained in their blood. I just pray I don’t encounter one, because it will take the grace of God to make me walk away and not lambast his/her generation.

• Olutt

June 1, 2016 at 5:12 am

Let’s not forget in all this pent up emotions that most of the slaves were captured and sold by people of the same color for greed and wealth.

It’s no different from what happens to this day, instead of physical slavery, we are now subjected to economical slavery, intellectual slavery where we are made to believe that we can’t be successful unless you steal and you’re in government.

Our government choose to loot their countries and subject our common wealth into the encampment of a foreign bank account. We look down on our neighbors and glorify corruption. This inevitably place us once again into the shackles of neo-slavery in far away lands.

So,don’t be too bitter on that white person ,they took advantage of the greed that lived in humans. Before us,it was Indians in the far east, if it wasn’t us it would have been another greedy tribe.

• Kamrin

June 8, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I hope you don’t hate white people just because they are white! Knowing the history of how white people treated african Americans is disgusting and embarrassing for me personally!! Like I always have said NOBODY had a choice when they are born in what color, or place, rich or poor, man or woman! Nobody! You are just born! You need and should naturally treat others in manner in which you would want to be treated! But that sadly is not the case even to this day! I was born and live in a a city with many diverse cultures and races thank god! It angered me as a child when others were mean to each other of any race! If parents teach their children respect for others from the very beginning it would help with the ignorance that still continues to this day ! I am sorrowful and disgusted and ashamed for how African Americans were treated and still are treated there is simply no excuse other than the ignorance I referred to by parents passing it down to their children!! So please let’s all not continue to hate anyone for the past that that person was not involved in! Base your feelings individually with each person you come across with how that person treated you today!!

12. mike

June 2, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Alex Haley settled a lawsuit because he stole the story and it is not his story….this book roots was a work of fiction.. check out the history on this book

13. Justine

June 3, 2016 at 2:42 am

Why is it that the media refuses to tell the truth that the African Americans are the true Hebrew Israelites spoken of in scripture? Why do they keep lying about their history?

14. Kamrin

June 5, 2016 at 11:31 pm

I just watched all 4 parts of the 2016 remake and was blown away at how wonderful it was! I truly can not express enough how important I feel it is for everyone in America to watch this!! I think all schools should make it mandatory!! No human being has a choice on what color of skin or where they are born. You are just born! No one should judge someone on those things. Judge a person on their character only! Treat others the way you want to be treated should be a law!! Compassion should also be taught and stressed in schools as well! Love is so much easier than hatred! I’ll never ever understand the unkindness of humanity! I hope and pray this changes in a big way in the future!