News

#Brexit: David Cameron Resigns as British PM | Watch

BellaNaija.com

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 08: Prime Minister David Cameron leaves for Downing Street on May 8, 2015 in London, England. After the United Kingdom went to the polls in a closely fought General Election the Conservative party, led by David Cameron, are expected to be the winning party with support for both the Labour party and the Liberal Democrats falling away throughout the country. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

David Cameron has announced that he is quitting as Prime Minister of Britain after the country voted to leave the European Union on Friday.

Cameron said he does not think he is “the captain” that will “steer the country” in the new direction.

He said this in a broadcast outside of Downing Street on Friday.

“The British people have voted to leave the EU and their will must be respected.

The will of the British people is an instruction that must be delivered.

There can be no doubt about the result.

Across the world people have been watching the choice that Britain has made.

This will require strong, determined and committed leadership.

I am very proud to have been Prime Minister of this country for six years.

I have held nothing back.

The British people have made a very clear decision to leave.

I think the country requires fresh leadership.

I do not think I can be the captain to take the country to its next destination.

In my view I think we should have a new prime minister in place by the start of the Conservative conference in October,” he said.

Watch below:

Photo Credit: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

1. Ephi

June 24, 2016 at 9:11 am

Petty yes I know but kinda hard to pity him after that saga of him referring to Nigerians as fantastically corrupt.

• Damilola

June 24, 2016 at 12:40 pm

But SOME Nigerians in and abroad are fantastically corrupt. Truth is bitter, but it will set you free. The crime rate among Nigerians in the U.S and U.K is high. Don’t get me started on the drug trafficking in countries with harsh punishment but naija will still go there to commit a crime.

Countries with the highest migration and immigration are trying to curb it and have more control of who comes in. This is one of the key reason, Donald Trump is winning in the U.S.
      Brexit will crack down illegal immigration and have strict immigration laws specifically for non EU unions.
      I respect, David Cameron resigning this is what I call respect for power. He’s a strong supporter of Britain to be part of EU. Now, the votes says out of EU, Instead of more chaos, stress, bravado he’s like I’m out. Choose the next brexit prime minister that will lead you in this new journey.
      I’ll be watching to see how this plays out.

• Ephi

June 24, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Damilola,
      The point is not whether SOME Nigerians are corrupt or not, the point is it wasn’t appropriate neither did he have the moral right to say so considering a lot of UK banks are in possession of the looted funds which indirectly benefits the UK economy. Secondly, he didn’t say SOME Nigerians but made a blanket generalization.

In any case, there is no point crying over spilt milk, he’s stepped down already.

2. hmmm

June 24, 2016 at 9:15 am

Read the comment below on DM which I think reflects the thoughts of many English people. It’s not just Eu immigrants they don’t want, but ALL immigrants. My African people, we are not excluded o.

—-Now let us hope we get a PM who has the guts to shut our borders to ALL immigrants.—

• Shola

June 24, 2016 at 10:13 am

@hm thats not true. Yse we all know racisim in the UK exists. So hearing those comment shouldn’t be surprising, But immigrants have always been part of the UK landscape and working force, that will not be changing. Yes Illegal borders will be shut. But the UK rely’s heavily on foreign entrance, business and tourism.

3. nene+

June 24, 2016 at 9:42 am

Wao .
    I will miss David Cameron.
    I wanted UK in not out.

• Baba

June 24, 2016 at 9:56 am

Nene…but you want Biafra and Deltans out!!!

• Nonsense

June 24, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Shame on you for this. If you don’t know the Biafran and Niger delta story then just be silent.

4. Benson Ossai

June 24, 2016 at 9:59 am

What i will miss about him is his debate with Jeremy Corbyn each time in the house.

5. @edDREAMZ

June 24, 2016 at 10:02 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Oky….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. cika

June 24, 2016 at 10:04 am

Can somone explain this to me,is it to our benefit.?we’re can I read this up?a link?

7. Ngozi

June 24, 2016 at 10:29 am

Nooooo I didn’t want him to resign, even though I voted out. Kinda mixed emotions now. Good luck David

• FinchleysFinest

June 24, 2016 at 10:55 am

@Ngozi: you voted out? Really? do you know this won’t change any immigration law to favour non -EU members?

• Neni

June 24, 2016 at 10:37 pm

You don’t know that. It’s funny how ideas like this are almost wishes from Africans who already own British passports. Not surprised, you’re a black person living in a wealthy part of London. Of course you don’t want or expect this to favour non-Eu Africans who pay heavy fees and heavily add to the ranking of top unis

8. Gaston Afolkay

June 24, 2016 at 1:00 pm

What’s so important about his re-signment

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

June 24, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Resignation*

9. Wanderlust _Trekeffect

June 24, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Well, the UK has voted to free itself from being ruled by bureaucracy from Europe who’s ultimate intention was to form a European super State, the only people this was really benfiting were, big business, multi-nationals, and the political elite. The European political Union scarcely benefited ordinary people across Britain. They can now make its own decisions relating to self governance, They will still be part of Europe and still European. It just has no desire to be part of a European super State.
    My fb page is exploding with posts, and the only thing I can observe from it all is that the positive ones came from British nationals while third parties, other European nationals and even kiwis? are enraged. Irrespective of how hurtful it seems the desires of the original land owners should always come first. This move I believe will start a reaction that if harnessed properly will lead to greater independence and development among smaller EU members cause everyone knows UK provided the bulk of the funding in EU.

• Random

June 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Territorialism always has negative implications. No man is an island. I’m a fan of nationalism but one has to tread carefully when airing seperatist opinions.

Just know that if we encourage these things, we are setting a nidus of support for people who believe in ethnic cleansing….it’s usually stage by stage…

It always backfires. I hope it works out in the end though….people will have to put up with what they asked for.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

June 24, 2016 at 5:12 pm

The only issue here is that people are not accustomed to change, let’s not begin to read too much into it, ethnic cleansing and all that is dependant on a lot of factors not restricted to after math of wanting out of a parasitic relationship. Switzerland has been out all this while, never was an issue for them, they have one of the best economies in the world, tops the list in transparency, has safest cities in the world , their citizens are happy. Change always seems as a threat but with time people will move on. Its not territorial to want to regulate influx into your country, it’s actually common sense and healthy for both parties. Overpopulation and economic strain on bigger nations while smaller nations remain stagnant because their citizens will always see migration as an option rather than working improve their nations.
      The world will get over it with time, the British people have decided.

10. ngozi

June 24, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Hi FinchleysFinest, I didn’t vote leave because of immigration or about me but because I dont like how the EU works, i.e – bureaucratic nature and not being democratic. Wanderlust _Trekeffect pretty much echoes my thought. cheers and Godbless. x

11. Mimi Festus

June 25, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Donald trump said, well done UK you took your country back (paraphrased). Which in my opinion is correct. However, they say pride goes before a fall and im not quite sure if thats what to make of the UK’s decision, so lets keep fingers crossed.
    The concern is that this new ship the UK’s about to sail hasn’t really got a clear cut route or map, put it simply this way there wasn’t any strategy in place on how to run things after Brexit. Perhaps this explains the reason for Cameron’s decision.
    Yes the value of pounds would drop, but the Uk would have to produce her goods more independently, cheap labour would reduce, those who rely heavily on benefits might have to get jobs, I mean who’s goin to pay taxes for ya’all?, investors might want to invest more in other EU states than they probably did before, which would begin to boost economy rather than concentrating so much power to one country alone. And who knows, our beloved naira might begin to gain its value again.
    This might, take awhile people, but all I see is development spreading, so stay lets all stay positive.
    one question I have is this though, why severe a relationship because of one single reason (immigration) ? Couldn’t there be other means to gaining better control of the boarder?