The Management of University of Benin has suspended the ongoing Post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (Post-UTME) exercise following the Federal Government’s directive on its cancellation by tertiary institutions nationwide.
The university’s Public Relations Officer, Micheal Osasuyi, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) of the suspension on Tuesday in Benin.
“Management has just announced the suspension of the exercise following the federal government directive. We regret any inconveniences this may have caused parents and prospective students as a new date for the screening will be communicated in due course,” he said.
On the N2,000 post UTME fees, Osasuyi said: “No decision has been taken on that. But all Vice Chancellors of the universities have been invited to a meeting in Abuja. I guess that will be part of the decision that will be taken,” he said.
NAN reports that the institution had earlier commenced screening for prospective undergraduates on Monday with some of the students writing a computer based test.
Others were already seated for Tuesday’s screening when the announcement of the cancellation was made.
Some of the students who participated in the exercise told NAN that they spent between N3,500 and N5,000 in the purchase of the admission screening forms, including on-line registration.
They said they had to answer about 75 questions in one hour.
Before the cancellation, the exercise which commenced Monday was slated to end on July 9th.
NAN reports that the Federal Ministry of Education had on Monday reiterated the ban on Post-UTME conducted by tertiary institutions for admission into universities and other higher schools of learning in the country.
“The ban is with immediate effect and under no circumstance should any institution violate the directive. Those who have already advertised for the conduct of the Post-UTME under any guise should stop the exercise immediately,” the ministry had said.