Features

Stanford MBA Graduate Student Chika Okoro Shares Her Thoughts on The Imposter Syndrome

BellaNaija.com

Chika Okoro

Do you sometimes feel that you’re not good enough?

Do you sometimes feel like everything you’ve achieved is somehow a fluke and you don’t really deserve it?

Do you sometimes feel like at some point someone is going to find out you’re not as super as they think you are?

This is called the Imposter Syndrome, and Chika Okoro suffers from it too!

In a web series called “Even the great ones”, the Stanford Business School graduate talks about her struggles with the imposter syndrome.

“Even though I know that deserve to be here, there is still a part of me that thinks that I am not good enough”

Even the great ones‘ is the inspiring brainchild of Kudzu Chikumbu.

Watch Chika talk about her struggles here and how she’s overcome it.

Watch Chika’s TEDxStanford talk here:

1. gollygosh

July 15, 2016 at 4:20 am

Good speaker, bright but clueless and inappropriate with her dressing sense! You are what you wear…

• RIFF RAFF

July 15, 2016 at 8:00 am

I agree.
      Young lady, nobody wants to know how you boobs hang nor how them tits look like.
      I want to believe u meant no offense, but please next time you are called to stand on a platform, when u try an outfit, project camera lights on yourself first inside studio to see how the cloth actually looks like when u are being filmed. This will save u a lot of embarrassment in future. Even that weave sef screams “not my hair”. If u are a weave fan, opt for something that ressembles or is close to your hair texture.
      All the best, nne.

• The message is powerful

July 15, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I swear I don’t understand some women and the need to criticise and find fault in everything. The message!!! The message is powerful, her clothes could have been better but to throw the baby with the bathe water is wrong. Such a practical message – unlearn the unhealthy stereotypes and information that we have gathered while growing up.

• IJustGotBack

July 15, 2016 at 3:40 pm

BELLANAIJA BN – you deleted my comment.

I will say it again….why do yall keep reposting this girl?? this is the 3rd time you are posting this same speech she gave. obviously its a paid content, but like kilode, stop tryna post for clicks. she has better pics that coulda been used…smh

• Surely

July 19, 2016 at 12:14 am

The same way Nigerians were concerned about DJ Obi not baffing or brushing his teeth is similar to the ones here complaining about her dress. Her dress IS FINE. She attends Stanford, a school in CALIFORNIA where showing skin is actually NOT a big deal. Nobody stares at breasts that long to know if you’re wearing a bra or not. And even if she didn’t, it’s okay! That’s Cali for you!!!
      Nigerians focus on the wrongest of things. That’s why you guys have still not answered why you must wear extensions and bleach your skin. She has discovered those answers for herself. Learn from it. Disgusting ppl.

2. Anonymous

July 15, 2016 at 5:03 am

I am with you. Her dress was AWFUL for the message.. Maybe she is looking for a husband and this is her platform! Dont knock the hustle! Lol…

• nwanyi na aga aga

July 15, 2016 at 11:31 am

*shakes head vigorously! The cloth, the cloth..o diro nma ( it is not good) at all

• Huh?

July 15, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Just imagine what you are saying?

3. Naijatalk

July 15, 2016 at 5:26 am

Beautiful girl, great message, terrible dress choice. Wonder if she did eventually realize that her outfit didn’t quite fit in with her message.
    The world has many problems; all of which were engineered by man. One day the lines will be blurred and there will be no colorism, racism, tribalism, nepotism, or even feminism.

• hezekina pollutina

July 15, 2016 at 7:48 am

when? are we still not human beings? dont you think we will find something to fight about? human nature – we could all be blue and same gender, we go find wahala. 🙂

• Naijatalk

July 15, 2016 at 9:48 am

Lol, tryna stay positive

4. Nguyi

July 15, 2016 at 7:43 am

This is a beautiful talk…..D girls are beautiful

5. Change Your Lenses.

July 15, 2016 at 7:53 am

Horrible, horrible outfit. Why? Why did she have to wear, even in the first place, buy something like that? A commenter on a post recently, said she realised, after listening to her niece who graduated from Princeton’s rationale for being with the man she was with and wanting to go ahead and marry him, despite warning flags her aunt and husband had noticed, her aunt, the commenter said she realised the truism that intelligence is not the same as wisdom. What is this, honestly? How can you go out in public and stand before people, no bra, your n—pl-s showing? Honestly, it’s such a turn off and it makes me annoyed. Your parents earned and then spent all that money, you, also, worked to hard and paid your dues to graduate; you come out an uptown, top drawer, quality, classy, respected brand and then with foolish dress (lack of) sense, you just downgrade and cheapen it. Why?

• Surely

July 19, 2016 at 12:16 am

You can’t even type out nipples. Nigerians are really messed up upstairs, Wow. How shameful is the female body to you that you cannot focus if it’s not completely covered and reshaped and hidden???

6. Yinka

July 15, 2016 at 8:02 am

It’s funny how the comments in here reflect subtly the message she was passing across. Her outfit fits her body type, it has a voluminous covering over the bottom bit. Her sin is that it is too edgy for a dark skin girl. If Jessica Alba wore the same outfit, never minding she has bigger boobs, many would say “oh, she’s smart and glamorous too”. If it’s was Beyonce, “slay queen! Yas she woke and beautiful”. The girl has small boobs and has beautiful legs. She does not look inappropriate. She looks like she has a conservative yet edgy sense of style. Leave her be.

• Yinka

July 15, 2016 at 8:03 am

She should have worn different shoes tho

• sass

July 15, 2016 at 9:12 am

The spirit of Jezebel has taken abode in you. Just because you want to be seen as cool doesn’t mean you come and talk nonsense here. “She has an edgy but conservative style” my ass.
      Even if th Queen of England wears that same dress it will never suit her. Even a hoe shouldn’t be wearing that dress.
      To a Tedx talk for that matter!

And no the comments have nothing to do with message. Even if a white girl wore the same dress I would still lash her!

• Surely

July 19, 2016 at 12:17 am

Even a “ho”….. Take a trip to Los Angeles and see hoes everywhere who are obviously smarter, richer and more accomplished than you. And they don’t have to be “hiding” sexy women from their husbands unlike your type.

• Sagesse.

July 15, 2016 at 9:26 am

@Yinka, “”edgy””, that’s what it’s called now, is it? Thanks for the ‘enlightenment’. And, you could actually describe her clothing as “”voluminous”” and “”covering””. Honestly, really, you need to fear God. There is NO excuse for what she wore. There is great substance in her speech. I would have wished her clothing were likewise more substantial. I saw the top part, and thought it was terrible. Then, I watched the video, and saw the bottom half. That is so indecent. Prostitutes dress like that. How could she give such a wise, intelligent, well-researched, timely, golden speech and package it in such dross and trash?

“”As a jewel of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a beautiful woman who lacks discretion.”” Proverbs 11: 22 I think it should, also, be applied to a beautiful woman who dresses indiscreetly.

A jewel of gold in the snout of a pig: that’s how I feel about that speech in that packaging (and I don’t mean the lady, I mean her clothing, specifically, her lack of.).

• BijouxthisBijouxthat

July 15, 2016 at 9:53 am

The rhetorics of people who don’t have any substantial come back : if it were a white person, we would be saying slay’. For where? U think it’s everybody who looses their sense of right and wrong when it comes to white people eh? Trust me, if it were a white person, we wouldn’t say different.
      This is just inappropriate… How do you call this trashy look edgy? U people just label byheart!
      Do you even know edgy?
      And what is voluminous and covering? This figure hugging dress? Did you even see the length?
      I don’t even want to talk about how ratchet the weave looks… If you going to wear a weave, u better go the Toke makinwa way…. U slay!

• mz_daniels

July 15, 2016 at 11:55 am

Errm Jessica Alba and Beyonce are in different fields and are ‘selling’ something else. She was introduced to us as a stanford MBA graduate and for some people that would mean that she is seeking to get into the corporate world, hence she should dress appropriately, You can be corporate and extremely glamorous but if she has something else in mind, that’s good

• lacey

July 16, 2016 at 3:35 am

What silly message!all I could see was her nipple!nothing else and I am a woman like her!if she was going clubbing then excellent!but this no way! Her message is not for me sorry!I am light skinned and currently I am brown due to San Fran Sun!if she like make she be g or f class na her prob!irrelevant message!she nor get tailored shirt and skirt!even if it was a micro mini!

7. saSs

July 15, 2016 at 8:35 am

I can’t believe this babe left her abode like that. That dress is not even club appropriate.
    Great message but silly cloth because that thing does not qualify as a dress

8. BijouxthisBijouxthat

July 15, 2016 at 8:44 am

OMG! I thought you guys were exaggerating about the dress….. It’s bad bad! The length is just awful!
    This TedX right? A very serious minded program…. It’s not for nothing that we have appropriate dress code every occasion
    Unfortunately, her attire distracted me from her message

9. Mr. Egghead

July 15, 2016 at 8:49 am

Harvard then Stanford ?
    Yes, maybe she had a bad dress day and tacky weave, but she is definitely bae.

10. bignaijababe

July 15, 2016 at 8:51 am

Couldn’t even get my self to listen to the end as her outfit was too distracting, i can’t believe that someone did not let her know how inappropriate that dress was for the occasion wow!

11. Victor Adegoke

July 15, 2016 at 9:37 am

The way u dressed is the way you will be addressed. I know of this particular statement,being a victim myself and I have promised to act in decorum anywhere I see myself.

• Surely

July 19, 2016 at 12:19 am

I DARE YOU ADDRESS HER CONDESCENDINGLY TO HER FACE.
      If she does not destroy you with your peasant brain.

• sass

July 19, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Tah gbafu osiso. Destroy him with what? So because she goes to Stanford she can destroy anyone! Hiss.
      She dressed stupidly, whether you like it or not!

12. Toyosi

July 15, 2016 at 10:03 am

She speaks on such a poignant issue yet the comments here reduces this to merely what she’s wearing. What a wow guys, what a wow.

• RIFF RAFF

July 15, 2016 at 10:27 am

Indeed what a WOW. Such a beautiful,eloquent, brilliant young woman looking like a thirsty wannabe video vixen. Nobody is asking her to wear burqa, dress like a a mummy G.O (no offense) or cover herself with a bedsheet , but please what is this???, There are so many trendy, yet elegant feminine dresses around.

13. C

July 15, 2016 at 10:15 am

Men ,jeans would have been better. To think that the stage was somehow elevated. I pity those that were sitting in front

14. I

July 15, 2016 at 10:38 am

i am actually so very angry she wore that outfit. Yes she has the right to dress as she pleases, but there is something called appropriateness. It’s like wearing iro and buba to the beach with gele to prove you are African and have rights. This is nasty AND utterly distracting for such a beautiful girl with everything going for her.

I understand she may not be a stylish person and this is her attempt at making efforts. If I didn’t hear her , her chances are gone in my eyes. It would have been better if it was just the nipples even, it is the length and the gape that anyone sitting beneath can peep through. I forgive her, but learn my darling. Learn. You could have come geek as you are in just pants and a top or a suit and perfect. AND NO ignoramuses Jessica Alba will not dress like that to a tedX talk. She is the CEO of a multi-billion coy. I am not even sure Amber rose as a stripper too. There is a time and a place for everything.

I think one of the greatest problems with us is how much we complain about being ill-treated and marginalized when we actually don’t even try to fit the bill with out overall appearances and presentations. Looking tacky, shabby, overdone, unlearned etc. Even whites like this are relegated behind. Sometimes I see the way we act and dress in public and I think the problem is deep look at who is complaining. Before you open your mouth, people see you. It is a world of perception. I walk anywhere in the world and doors open for me with glee and warm reception and I am black even without a kobo in my bag or announcing my credentials, because I walk in totally unintimidated and very respectable with nothing for you to fault me with. Make efforts. Not every thing is about your colour black and white, it is about how you carry yourself. first and then when all is well we can shout racism.

15. Tamy

July 15, 2016 at 10:51 am

Lol thought you guys were exaggerating about the dress but wow….watched for like 3mins and I laughed for like 2mins and started thinking of reasons as to why she wore the dress, so just stopped watching. Maybe my aproko too much sha but only way I can focus on the speech is if I don’t watch the video but listen to it like an audio recording

16. Smith

July 15, 2016 at 10:53 am

Sorry, I can’t get beyond that ridiculous hideous weave

17. mz_daniels

July 15, 2016 at 12:10 pm

I read the comments before watching the video hence my 1st comment but after watching this, I’m awed, ‘D girls are beautiful too’. My only sister is a dark skinned beauty and I’ve always admired her and thought she was the most beautiful after my mother.

18. Lindt Lover

July 15, 2016 at 12:39 pm

2 amazing, powerful and inspiring messages from a smart, young and highly educated lady, yet we are here debating what she wore? F-ing unbelievable.

• "changing moniker"

July 15, 2016 at 3:17 pm

ermm…maybe because you are addressed by ow you dress (something like that)

19. Mama

July 15, 2016 at 3:56 pm

I really hope the people who are saying we should focus on the message not the dressing can do the same if their pastor or pastor’s wife dresses to church like this. Just focus on the message oh! Na so e dey start, end time things!

20. Weezy

July 15, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Nawaya o. Stanford MBA and you are leading with Sexuality. What was the point of going to Stanford business school to spend your time speaking to the world without bra. Look at people like Chimamanda, or even Dambisa Moyo. Beautiful and brilliant women who dress nicely yet modestly.

Maybe you feel like an imposter because you want to be a model and not a business woman or world leader.

Major side eye.

21. Funmi

July 15, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Women are evil sha, This eloquent and intelligent lady is sharing her experience and all what fellow women have to comment on is her outfit???

That is why you will forever be oppressed because the number one enemy against women’s right is her fellow women.

LEAVE HER OUTFIT ALONE!

22. Stephanie

July 15, 2016 at 10:33 pm

….i’m sorry but did anybody here that child…in school….could not structure a sentence properly?? Cos she lightskinded??? That’s the travesty right there!

23. molarah

July 16, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Dunno what y’all are referring to. I enjoyed the talk, it’s a really enlightening message. Maybe we should work at taking our minds out of the gutters…I’m struggling to see what’s terribly inappropriate about her outfit. There must have been a theme or something that informed her choice of attire: I’m sure organisers of Stanford events take their reputation seriously and would have prevented her from presenting if they felt something was wrong.

• "changing moniker"

July 17, 2016 at 2:06 am

It was a TedX platform….no, there’s no theme. Plus would the theme be, “dress like a video vixen”?!

24. Ekalor

July 17, 2016 at 3:10 pm

She is very articulate however her outfit isn’t appropriate