News

Police Launch Manhunt for Man who Set his Wife and Children Ablaze over Sale of Apartment

Man Sets Wife and Daughter AblazeThe Ogun State Police command has launched a manhunt for a man who allegedly killed his wife Gbemisola Edward, 43, and her daughter, Dolapo, 11 after pouring petrol on them and setting them ablaze.

PUNCH reports that the killer husband, Joshua, set Gbemisola, Dolapo, and his 7-year-old son, Samson on fire after a disagreement between him and his wife.

The tragic incident happened on Thursday on Augustine Street, Ire Akari Estate, in the Ifo Local Government Area, Ogun State

According to Gbemisola’s 16-year-old son, Babatunde, who escaped the attack, his stepfather (Joshua) had wanted his mother to sell their three-bedroom apartment, but she refused.

Babatunde said:

It was the scream of my mother that woke me up. Dolapo and Samson were also set ablaze. I wanted to put out the fire when my stepfather poured petrol on me as well. Before he returned with matches, I managed to escape and reported at the Ifo Police Station.

He was working with a factory but was sacked some months ago. He then told my mother to sell the house so that he could use the money to start a business. But my mother said she would never sell the house she struggled to build.

We moved into the house in January. The following month, he and Samson started living with us. It was a woman at our former residence in Iyana Ipaja (Lagos State) that bore Samson for him. He used to beat mum while we were in Iyana Ipaja.

Joshua fled immediately the incident happened, while the victims were admitted to Aron Hospital, a private facility in the area.

The Ogun State Police Command’s acting spokesperson, ASP Abimbola Oyeyemi, who confirmed the report said:

We learnt the man and his wife had a quarrel over the ownership of the house they lived in. While the family was asleep, the man poured patrol on the living room and set it ablaze. As a result, the woman and the two children suffered first degree burns. The Commissioner of Police has ordered that the suspect be fished out. He can only run, he cannot hide.

The Managing Director, Aron Hospital, Dr. Kayode Ayoola, said that Dolapo died 10 minutes after she got to the hospital, while Gbemisola gave up the ghost the following day (Friday).

“The boy’s (Samson, who has burns in the head, hands and legs) condition is relatively okay but nobody is ready to take care of him,” Ayoola said.

Gbemisola’s brother, Wale, also confirmed that Joshua had always abused his sister, and that forced her to relocate from Iyana Ipaja to Ifo, but they reconciled in February after he pleaded with her.

“Their relationship had been fraught with quarrels since when he was living with my sister in our house at Iyana Ipaja. There was a time he threatened to kill her with a machete. He stole her money and fled.

When he knew my sister had built a house, he went there to reconcile with her. She insisted that they needed to go to the registry which they did in February. I visited my sister two weeks ago. She said her husband had been threatening her again and that she had told him to leave by the end of August.

It was on Thursday afternoon that I got a call that he set her and the children ablaze,” Wale said.

Photo Credit: Afeez Hanafi/PUNCH

1. Lanre

August 29, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Depression and uncontrolled hanger will lead this one to life in jail.

• Tosin

September 1, 2016 at 2:36 pm

This is beyond depression, hanger, or bad marriage. This is beyond.

2. Lois

August 29, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Women! Women!! Women!!! We no dey hear word o. To marry no be by force. Even as a married woman myself, I admire and even strive to achieve like some of my unmarried counterparts. There can never be live and happiness we crave in a union fraught by violence, selfishness and greed. Run before you loose your life and disrupt that of your children. Try, try hard to prepare for ‘what if’…. This is a very sad situation

3. Oga ooo

August 29, 2016 at 1:55 pm

How can someone be so wicked? May God reveal and save us from the hands of the wicked b4 it’s too late, amen.

4. Ola

August 29, 2016 at 2:06 pm

There are alot of sick people that should be at the hospital this man pass for one,

5. Amin

August 29, 2016 at 2:07 pm

@Lois – But she gave him notice to leave the house come August. She couldn’t have left the apartment she built to run for the useless man. Who could have envisaged that he had such evil intention? May every of God’s creation (water, air, sand etc) work against this evil man in IJMN. Amin Amin Amin loruko jesu

• Aduke

September 7, 2016 at 2:40 pm

i have to run from the house i built 6 months ago for my dear life when the man i married brought in two sharp cutlasses and told a neighbour that he brought them in to cut my two legs. He has been violent since 2011 and has been threatening that my enemy will remain on wheel chair for life! my offence ? I told him he has to work in 2011, that i can no longer bear the responsibility at home alone having done that for 18 years! now he is the only one living in the house, my children are with me, and I know at the right time God will recover the house for me. But I am alive oooo, what is a house that I will allow a man to kill me? I have beautiful 4 bedroom flat I left with him to save my life ….. if i am alive, I can easily with the help of God build another beautiful houses ! Devil has entered into Nigerian men, women should also know how to dine with it with long spoon !!! my submission

6. Toba

August 29, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Very sad,may God grant them eternal rest,and the man,He will rot in jail.

7. Seun

August 29, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Bad behaviour and over bearing attitude amongs some men will send them to ultimate destruction

8. Spunky

August 29, 2016 at 2:17 pm

…I just can’t put words together. This man right here is the Devil!

9. nene

August 29, 2016 at 2:34 pm

jesus christ!

10. deb

August 29, 2016 at 2:46 pm

I can’t comprehend the evil in that man’s heart . Shame on the people that raised him.

11. Mr. Egghead

August 29, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Why would a man set his own son and wife ablaze?
    Not every mad person is roaming on the street.

12. Naijatalk

August 29, 2016 at 2:57 pm

God, so sorry for the woman’s son and Samson. It will never be well with that man.

13. tunmi

August 29, 2016 at 3:02 pm

So those family members who set meetings for them to reconcile, you guys no get mouth ehn?

• Nahum

August 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Don’t mind them o. Awon “reconcilers”, where dem dey now? A woman was complaining of domestic violence and you still opened your dirty mouth to reconcile instead of helping her run away. Their blood is also on the “peacemakers” hands

14. Lucinda

August 29, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Here we go again.

15. Prince

August 29, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Like the first comment said, Is it that people don’t go online to see what is happening around their area and their country.
    Is marriage BY FORCE. The Bible says Wisdom is profitable to direct. why can’t some women apply wisdom to their situation.
    Why chose to remain in an abusive marriage? I’m just phucking tired of all these shit

16. rain

August 29, 2016 at 3:41 pm

evil and very extremely demonic and wicked………why are such type of stories rampant these days???//??

17. Yummychickcummummy

August 29, 2016 at 5:18 pm

No excuse, leave when in a bad marriage.. Now she has to pay for it in a hard way…

18. Ms Jackson

August 29, 2016 at 9:23 pm

The Internet is exposing a lot of stuff in Naija so folks are now seeing that our “supposed” perfect culture n lifestyle( ie when they keep saying we’re better behaved n cultured than the western world )is now coming out n on exposed on full blast. Such a lie and deceitful life we’ve been living in Naija because there was no exposure before now. There have been too much power given to these abusive men that abound in Nigeria and the African continent as a whole. Many ladies need to know what’s good for them and leave an abusive relationship or marriage, it isn’t by force ooo. Neither is it a do or die affair. May the souls of the departed RIP.

19. Idomagirl