Features

Tajé Prest: Lagos Big Boys in Debt & Trust Fund Kids Slowing Down … The Reality that is the Harsh Economy

taje prest bellanaijaI know I’m not the only experiencing the harshness of the economy right now. It’s what my friends and I have coined “Buhari season” because we’re all hoping it’s a time that’ll pass soon, God-willing.

There is no money anywhere in the country; more than 80% of the people I know are eating well into their savings because it’s either companies aren’t paying or jobs are just scarce. I joked to a friend that “runs girls” are the ones winning right now and she agreed! Those of us out here struggling to work hard in whatever field, from media to banking, know that right now is not the time for frivolous expenditures.  It’s like it is time to join the “runs girls” trade. Actually, maybe not. I don’t have the liver for it. Hahaha! Or I could be the next Bobrisky.

Crazy though, despite the state of the economy I have more friends’ weddings outside Lagos and the country, bridesmaid duties, baby showers, hen nights, etc. this year more than ever, creating more reasons to spend money that we don’t have. And the funny part is everyone is broke but no one wants to believe that the next person could possibly be broke too.

I spoke to my friend’s mother the other day and during our usual discussions she asked how work is and I replied with, “we are pushing, Aunty there is no money anywhere” she said it’s everywhere; her friend that owns a hospital said there are barely any patients coming in for treatment. So the first thing that came to mind was people are broke to the point where it’s affecting their health. That’s insane.

I’ll be honest. I never in a million years thought the state of the economy would ever affect me so directly; I always felt there’ll always be a backing. So now that I’m most definitely affected by it. I’ve realized that now is the time to do all the businesses you wanted to do. Most especially the ones that don’t require too much capital. I know a few friends that have started businesses now; from selling clothes to makeup – anything to make money.

The trust fund kids I know are affected because their parents are affected, another friend stated, “it’s comforting to know that from the top of the food chain to the bottom of the food chain everyone in between is affected by it”, so it isn’t a one-sided problem, that said one man’s broke is different from the next man, but that doesn’t mean their brokenness is less meaningful than yours, so don’t be so insensitive. Accept that they’re also broke in their own right. I say this because I’ve heard statements like, “stop complaining abeg you’re not as broke as me”. Don’t compare yourself to other people; your real job in the world is to be you.

Trust and believe you aren’t in this alone. I have a ton of examples. Another friend told me his sister and her husband took the kids to Nigerian cities for holidays, Olumo Rock… because of saving money, and why not? Another friend wrote a cheque and told the person to cash it in two months! The lack of funds is everywhere. You aren’t alone!

I’ve realized that a lot of people are still pretending that all is rosey. A friend of mine said “Tajé Something has to give o. We can’t continue like this. People are just ‘forming’. 95% of the people we know are broke!” Help me understand; Why are people forming? Does anyone have answers? Is forming going to increase the money in your pocket? Another friend said the economy is sitting on “fake it till you make it”.

The fact that people are still forming is hilarious to me. It’s the reason club owners are complaining bitterly because all the Lagos ‘big boys’ are running up BILLS! Bills they know they can’t afford; yet, but in the name of keeping up appearances they go to clubs and are still signing BILLS!

Everybody is talking about the state of the economy, because it’s REAL OUT HERE. My cousin and I were talking about it just yesterday and he said,  “it’s all for a reason and it will end”
So, here’s to waiting for the reason to appear and hoping it ends soon because God knows it has to – before people really start doing things they never thought they’d do.

Also, start a business today. Start with a friend if you can’t afford to do it alone.  But, just start, and when the economy does pick up, because we’re Nigerians, we pray hard and work our butts off, then you have a business that all profits will go to refill your basically empty savings account.

Taje is a popular TV Presenter, host, producer and personality in Nigeria with phenomenal credits from some of the hottest and well-received shows to date, she writes for StyleVitae, AboutThatCurvyLife and has featured on many hit shows on EbonyLife TV and Spice TV. Taje is the resident presenter for DZRPT's hit show - The Wedding Guest with Tajé, and has many shows in store coming up this year. She is also a star on the reality TV show "Here & Now: The Adventures of TASA" "I love the camera and talking is my business. I'm a fitness fanatic; I love to sing and I love Nigeria despite its many flaws. " Instagram - @missvivacioust Twitter@missvivacioust Facebook - facebook.com/TWGshow Web - www.TajePrest.com

1. Fifi

August 25, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Errmmm madam Taje no be you i See 2 years ago coming in and out of Conrad Hotel Dubai with different Naija Delta Boys hustling, girl be quiet as if you are not a runs girl

• shior

August 25, 2016 at 3:04 pm

hands on head. person cant even write small article again make una no shoot bullet ahn ahn.
      anyway some points are valid veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy validdddddddddddddd. i know people pretending etc why would you want to live above your means? babes and guys be selling dreams then when shit goes down you start trying to look for the next clique and change of location just to keep the lie lie lifestyle especially this new generation women and men kilodeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ? find a freaking job, start a business even if na pure water start nothing like having your own money and spending it knowing the source at which you getting it.

S/O to us boss-ladies that are young and getting it YES! Actual 9 -5 jobs

• Onome

August 25, 2016 at 3:22 pm

HATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go…..You can’t slut shame anyone here ohhhh…..get in line….You were doing what at the hotel Aunty…You too know Delta Naija Boys! Craze people everywhere.

• Fifi

August 25, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I know them plenty as a waffi babe, from their dressing, their mannerism and loud speaking voice, one even gave my child 500 $$ as a happy new year pressie ?

• Busarni

August 25, 2016 at 3:30 pm

So that make her a runs girl? Well, what were you doing at the hotel? It takes a runs girl to know another; nonsense holier than thou attitude.

• Amanda

August 25, 2016 at 3:36 pm

What were you doing there at the hotel.

• runs

August 25, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Fifi, fellow runs girls trying to cover up for her

You can see them ready to devour you

@ You all, she only said this cos she denied being one. If she was true to herself, noone cares but she was publicly denying what she does.

Infact now, 95% girls are runs girls. They do what runs girls do, ask random guys money for sex, sleep in the hotel with him, wear runs girls clothes and yet say they are not

Your conscience will judge you all

• Zinachi

August 25, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Please which one is runs geh clothes??????

• pruya

August 25, 2016 at 4:54 pm

people will make up anything, just because you hate someone, such a shame. Dear Fifi, its obvious you’re jealous of this girl. or you dont know her atall. This Tajé that her God matter is even too much, shes forever going to reedeem camp.

• Saddee

August 25, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Even runs gehs go to church na!

• Fifi

August 25, 2016 at 10:23 pm

?????? lwkm infact the laff tear my belle, she never start MFM like Toke, ??

• Point and Kill

August 25, 2016 at 5:02 pm

LMAO!!!

• Deonli Papijuno

August 25, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Hmmmmmmm

• me

August 25, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Where you going in there with your own boyz hustle to know her game?

• Victoria

August 25, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Amebo make u shut up ur mouth!!!!

• Damilola

August 25, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Nigerians and their accusation spirit. It’s VERY annoying. So, bcos you saw her with the delta big boys at a hotel, you automatically know her life. And what were you doing there? Probably same thing. Whether she’s a runs girls or not is none of your business. Focus on the article. The economy is hard on everybody, runs girls included bcos the economy is affecting their sugar daddies too.

• Marvel

August 25, 2016 at 8:35 pm

You come across as an envious maybe jealous woman. There wasn’t any need for such put downs. The saying that it takes one to know one much applies.

• Abk

August 26, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Well said, Taje.
      Can’t be Taje you saw, probably Nara. She was the one in Dubai. I wonder how you can have no job but be driving a car you and your Parents can’t afford and you move into a flat in Lekki that was rented for you; and your Parents are cool with it. 23 year old looking 30 because of runs.

2. Donald Trump

August 25, 2016 at 3:03 pm

The rich also cry.

3. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

August 25, 2016 at 3:05 pm

She is a hard working young Lady, kil your self. At least she is relevant. I DONT KNOW WHY BLACK WOMEN HATE THEIR FELLOW WOMEN. I LOVE YOU TAJE???

• Fifi

August 25, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Relevant because of bella naija? Didnt you see the 5 babes that were featured yesterday doing great things in the world, it is Taje i would now be beefing? Abegii shift to one corner

• Lacey

August 26, 2016 at 5:17 am

@ Fifi you cut across as a very dull lady! I travel with my brothers most times ! We stay in hotels!we Niger Delta daughters are well taken care off!especially if you have stupendoudly rich cousins and uncles!do you know if she had like a family function! I happen to know this family well and though I am not her friend,neither do I know her from Adam!Go and Google Micheal Prest and know how much he is worth in pounds! Not stolen money o!clean money from correct business in London!This lady is trying to do something for herself despite her wealthy background! If you go to Dubai to hustle ,never assume others do same!

4. solape

August 25, 2016 at 3:05 pm

everything that was written could have been summed up in 1 paragraph…really

• Ezinne Osuagwu

August 25, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Lol, I agree, it was a little everywhere, though I must admit I agree with her when she said this is the best time to start a business in Nigeria.

5. DatEnuguChic

August 25, 2016 at 3:08 pm

@Fifi wetin you go find for dia. Abeg stop acting as a monitoring spirit on fellow women. Face front jor.

• Onome

August 25, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Thank you @DatEnuguChic! In 2016….this is what @Fifi is getting her kicks from? We have a longgggggggggg wayyyyyyyyyyyy to go…

6. LOVETH

August 25, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Am thinking of joining MMM Networking it is really paying.

• Eka

August 25, 2016 at 6:04 pm

@ loveth, please do and if you need guidance do reach out via [email protected].

7. MurderSheWrote

August 25, 2016 at 3:39 pm

And this my friends is the difference between the GEJ govt and the PMB govt. In GEJ season the rich like Taje, her friend’s mom and co were still seeing money as people they know were extending their “hands of love” and they felt invisible and on top of the world. Now in PMB season we are all in this together ????*whistles on*

• The Real Oma

August 25, 2016 at 7:34 pm

And who told you we are ALL in this together? That money is not still tricking to some people? How naive! corruption is still very much alive, my dear, money has simply ‘changed hands’

• nnenne

August 25, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Gbam! @ TheRealOma

8. Chi

August 25, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Nobody in Nigeria ever claims to be a runs girl , but everybody swears they know who is who.

TAJE you could have wrote the article without being condescending !!!!

• Fifi

August 25, 2016 at 4:35 pm

9. runs

August 25, 2016 at 4:31 pm

runs girl toh bad

make i no open your yansh here o

Awon runs girl toh bad

weldone

10. Fifi

August 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm

If i am a runs girl i would proudly say it afterall i dont know anyone on bella naija, i went to dubai with my ex fiancé and child if thats what is bothering you Voltrons. She on the other hand went for runs most definitely

• Onome

August 25, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Ex fiance and child…..that means you have FAILED twice at two relationships.- Your baby daddy and your fiance did not want you – chop and clean mouth. Only bitter people hate on other people and yes you are hating on Taje. Please let us see your own credentials Madame Fifi. You permitted your child collect the $500 from the runs guys??? Who does that? You are a hungry bitter fellow as well….poverty na bastard…..Go and do something great with your life Fifi….Taje is on her own path…..where are you?

• Fifi

August 25, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Lol whistling you think marriage is the ultimate goal, aint you stupid u rather have a broken Engagement than be a divorcee, thank you. Living my life like it golden, my ex and I are still very good friends hence we travel together ???

• Lacey

August 26, 2016 at 5:43 am

@Onome don’t mind her she is a baby [email protected] Felinda ,you only move to Nigeria with a watering job offer! After watching Sisi Yemmie’s house hunt, I have been thinking of moving back to Nja,where I can rent a nice house for cheap,not one bed for $3500!you make the money,you spend it!and I wonder,why someone will want to convert 500 Naira to a pound to holiday in London wey don turn Pakistan!Nigerians should wean off the dollar and pounds and enjoy themselves in their country ,instead of putting yourself under unnecessary pressure!You can take your kids to your village and stay In a nice resort! A beach resort!I have so made up mind to move back to Nigeria after the nonsense John Kerry came to do in Nigeria and the rubbish candidates they are fielding in this their election!The whole world is in turmoil ,I am not wired for their bills slavery at all!

• Onome

August 26, 2016 at 5:48 am

Travelling together with your ex fiancé as what ? His runs gal aka sloppy seconds ! @Fifi – you tried to run Taje down but you are now the one in the mud – the ex fiancé who can’t feed you that your child has to beg for $$$$ from the Naija Delta bigs boys – what a pity ! Find a job and start earning please . Hate no more ! Marriage is good you hear but I suspect all these men see your bitter soul and run farrrrrrrrrrr !

• Puzzles

August 25, 2016 at 5:50 pm

you went with your ex-fiancée to do what now?

No be the same thing you and your ex-fiancée do for dubai naim Taje do? (I choose to assume as you sef chose to assume)

Hypocrite. So far una neva marry, all na fornication whether with one person or 100 people

Taje, good article. Ignore people. Dem must find fault

• Bey

August 25, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Hehhhhh and you let ur child collect blood money !!!
      So that is how dese naija delta guys don’t know u and gave ur child money?? If ur not in dere clique how wld they dash ur child money.
      Pls next time u try n criticise smone, try and be squeaky clean yourself.
      A man that is not ur husband carried you and ur child to Dubai. Forget all dat fiancé shit, he’s ur maga. Leave matter for Matthias.

11. Big Tee

August 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm

If I talk now, people will say I’m hating….thank you for the write up…God bless you…amen

12. garrinomics

August 25, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Nice write up but the part where brought the runs girls matter in is a no go go, but come o na which girl small runs never epp.

13. fashy me

August 25, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Fellow bellanaijarians
    Pls any business idea one can do now to make extra money and put food on the table… I have always wanted to start my own business, venture and all dat……with the way the economy is, I think now might be the time to take the bull by the horn!
    Any idea is valid.
    Thanks

14. Bob

August 25, 2016 at 6:32 pm

This BOBRISKY IS FAMOUS OOOO! Heard in this economy they gave him 7 million Naira? Please what does he do? I want tips. Tajé thank you for this article! Because Situation critical

15. Observer

August 25, 2016 at 6:52 pm

But shebi everyone is saying Naija is on the up, its better to be Naija, you can live like a king etc etc blah blah.. trying to entice Diasporans to come and suffer like them. You lot be fronting since 1960!

• Engoz

August 25, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Lmao! Thank you. Don’t mind these people. I don’t know why this current crop of pampered Nigerians are disturbing us about bad economy as if Nigeria has not been bad since I was born. For years, the UN has been reporting how majority lived below a dollar per day. But our pampered rich Nigerians thought it was a joke. It is obvious these new complainers had connections with the corrupt political majority, lmao.

• Felinda

August 25, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Observer tell them again ohhh. How about they convince me to come join them suffer – i foolishily resigned my excellent job and packed all my stuff (furniture, car etc) and came – and after 6 months i left. Life is too short for this foolishness. They don’t ever tell you the truth. Thank God I am tri-citizen so when i made such a foolish mistake, i was able to pack my bags and return, Now they are all mad i didnt stay no bade good bye, yet when i was there for 6 months, some of these girls were avoiding my calls

I plan on writing a book titled “WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU BEFORE RELOCATING BACK HOME”

• Weezy

August 25, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Please write the book o. You can even start with a blog post.

16. Bey

August 25, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Meanwhile this shit ain’t getting funny.
    Pounds is 515, parallel mkt. Iv been prosponing my holiday since forever, hoping pounds will drop.
    And kids are resuming soon.
    Jehovah help us.

17. Adio_Braimoh

August 25, 2016 at 7:04 pm

“So people are broke to the point of affecting their health” that caught my eyes and its hilarious. What does this connote? Does it mean Nigerians now nurtures well on hygienic food unlike the chemically grown produce. You are what you eat. Know your farmer. Eat snail meat instead of red meat. Eat organic @Malecious

18. De Duchess

August 25, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I agree Chi Chi.

I hear that when runs girls turn their lives around they ‘bash’ their former lifestyle at any chance they get. A former classmate used to sneer at girls in class she knew were runs girls.
    When her own came out…… I don’t even think she knows how to move properly without shame till date.
    They are the first to say, I want to empower women so that they don’t go after men…
    We should not condone such lifestyle but who are you to hand over moral codes to any other person. Live and let live.

Nice article but it went left when you subtly threw shade.

• Felinda

August 25, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Empower Women keh?? Why does that word sound familiar.
      “I am self made and I empower women ”

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 :):) – i no fit shout

empower ko, empower ni

• Lady B

August 26, 2016 at 9:19 am

lol……………subtle SHADE

• Ellena

August 27, 2016 at 12:36 am

TaJe obviously likes to throw shades. I read her article some time ago, where she addressed “body shaming”, only to end up body shaming women with a certain body type.

I was really enjoying this article until I read the “runs girl” part, it’s unnecessary. All in all, I like this topic.

19. SHOLA ARIYO

August 25, 2016 at 8:45 pm

MAJORITY OF LAGOS GIRLS ARE RUNS, COME TO THINK OF IT, A GIRL EARNING 120K MONTHLY LIVES IN AN APARTMENT OF 2MILLION ANNUALLY IN LEKKI, DRIVES A BRAND NEW CAR, YET NO KNOWN BOYFRIEND THAT IS SUPPORTING THE EXPENSES, AND HER PARENTS ARE STRUGGLING TO EAT 3 SQUARE MEAL A DAY

A GIRL EARNING 150K A MONTH HAS 7 LOUBOUTINS SHOES, AND 3 GUCCI BAGS, AN YOU ASK IF THAT IS NOT RUNS, YOU DONT NEED A MICROSPOPE TO KNOW A RUNS BABES, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE… MAJORITY OF BABES LIVING ABOVE THEIR INCOME ARE RUNS BABES

THERE HARDLY A SINGLE GIRL THAT DOESNT HAVE A MARRIED MAN BOYFRIEND

• dami

August 26, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I’m not sure I support this statement. I live in the USA, i didn’t have a job until recently, yet i had a car, I pay for my car insurance one year upfront. I eat organic food, i live alone and pay rent yet I have NEVER had any man pay my bills. Its all been grace of God and my father so yes its possible for these girls to have things that seem a bit beyond their means.

• tania

August 27, 2016 at 1:00 am

Dami please dont be Daft
      There is a huge difference between living in Lagos vs living in USA. Dohhhhhhhh
      People will join conversation and just spoil it and go Off Tangent anyhow. mschewww Gosh.

• ibukunoluwa

August 29, 2016 at 2:19 am

Dami seriously do not be daft!

• Abk

August 26, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Your generalization is stupid! As there are many girls who do runs, there are just as many who don’t.

20. Class prefect

August 25, 2016 at 8:46 pm

whats the definition of runs girl .

21. Kunle

August 25, 2016 at 8:47 pm

infant, all most all lagos babes have a price tag, they are like goods and services, just name your price, they will spread their legs,

22. Felinda

August 25, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Fifi i will believe what you said if 9jagistlive confirms it. She always comes with receipts. 🙂

But you could be right cos this Buhari era any nollywood actress (without endorsement) or OAP who wears red bottom loubies must be a runs girl 🙂

How much do OAPs earn

23. Lily

August 26, 2016 at 1:28 am

*sigh* majority of yoy have missed the point of this article. Encourage businesses. You’re all seated by your screens saying BS! Just sad! Is this the nigeria everyone is telling me to move back to?

• Nma

August 26, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Lol, you can stay back wherever the hell you are; who’s begging you to move? ?

24. ..now

August 26, 2016 at 7:41 am

“Taje is a popular TV Presenter”. When you’re popular hun, you don’t need to describe yourself that way. Funmi Iyanda Queen of broadcasting tinz . Naija people sha.

25. Fifi

August 26, 2016 at 8:10 am

@lacey unfortunately tajes father is Tony Prest not Michael Prest madam oversabi,do you see how you have fooled yourself.

Fyi my ex is also my child’s father, and we do one holiday a year as a family when he gets married he can take our child with his wife on holiday

✌?️??

• Anon

August 26, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Tony Prest is rich too.

This from Lacey – “This lady is trying to do something for herself despite her wealthy background.” I don’t know Taje, she’s pretty and she’s got lovely skin. The runs girls comment was unnecessary.
      There’s a higher percentage of runs girls from rich homes. They claim it’s family money but it’s the money men have given them.

Fifi, you shouldn’t have gone there. Now, you have replied several times and documented your private life.

26. Ethio

August 26, 2016 at 9:17 am

lily don’t move back biko, you people have left the meaning of the article and gone blabbering runs girl nonsenses

27. ifiii

August 26, 2016 at 9:55 am

LOLO @fifi has time sha

28. runs

August 26, 2016 at 10:54 am

Infact trust no girl

Sorry, even you on BN, i trust you not.
    Good, clean girls be asking you can i come with you? Asking you to drop spme 20k and saying they are not runs girls

Haba, one went out with a colleague. They went ot lcub together, slept with the guy collected money from him for the service and was still cursing out the prostitutes for club saying see this ashi o

abeg help me laff–runs girls everywhere
    This generation don finish tey tey

29. Chineye

August 26, 2016 at 12:09 pm

In this bad economy, people are still getting regular 9-5 jobs worth 1-2m a month. Shine your eyes!

• Nma

August 26, 2016 at 5:39 pm

As in! They don’t understand.

30. deedee

August 26, 2016 at 5:11 pm

alot of folks are not affected by the economy… GOD’s own economy is still in full supply… when Buhari economy people are saying there is a casting down, we are getting lifted up… if only you lot know about convenant wealth ..start with Malachi 3 1-12, Cor 9: 10 .Christains your answers dey bible read it and you shall not lack in JESUS Name

• Natu

August 26, 2016 at 5:37 pm

We can never lack as children of God. We are joint heirs with Christ Jesus.

• Shandi

August 26, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Amen!!
      Natu, where have you been?

• aj

August 27, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Amen ooo!

31. Unlooker

August 28, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Instead of u guys to pick out the realities addressed in this post the comment thread has decided to do runs girl callout and now religion… so those that are genuinely struggling with the realities of the current economy are children of the devil?

Eku ise