News

3-year-old Boy Who Drank Caustic Soda after His Teachers Allegedly Turned Deaf Ears to His Cry for Water, Dies 10 Months After

Darasimi Ogunwunmi

The deceased after and before the incident

Darasimi Ogunwunmi, a 3-year-old Kindergarten One pupil of Fahsal Children’s School at Ilupeju Estate, Idiroko, Ogun State, has died, about 10 months after he drank caustic soda that was left carelessly around his classroom by his teachers, PUNCH reports.

He was said to have told the teachers many times that he was thirsty and helped himself when he receive no attention.

The deceased had undergone six different surgeries at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital.

He died after his last surgery to open up his stomach and throat which were damaged by the chemical.

According to Darasimi’s mother, Toyin:

My son would have died long ago if not because of the money that kind Nigerians raised for his treatment. The money financed his surgeries and rehabilitation since that time.

If I knew he had no chance of survival, I would have prayed that God should give him rest long ago because my son suffered for every day he lived after that incident. Every day, I saw him lying in the hospital bed or sitting at home struggling to drink ordinary water with pain, I cried bitterly.

PUNCH reports that the proprietor of the school, Fausat Abubakar, allegedly introduced soap making business on the school premises.

“But rather than remove the production far from the reach of her pupils, the boy’s parents alleged that the soap was being produced right beside the classrooms.

On November 19, 2015, the worse happened when Darasimi became thirsty and his teachers turned a deaf ear to his incessant cry for water.

Part of the caustic soda already mixed and allegedly left around was what Darasimi drank from.

His teachers only realised what had happened when the boy was found outside his classroom crying and bleeding from the mouth, it was learnt.

The teachers applied palm oil to the boy’s mouth but rushed him to the hospital when they realised his case was critical,” PUNCH reported.

The boy’s parents said that the government had promised to bring the proprietor to book, but nothing has been done.

The Ogun State Commissioner for Education, Modupe Mujota, said that she had constituted a team to investigate the case.

As a follow-up, when Mujota was contacted by PUNCH on Thursday, she said:

“There was a full investigation. But because there was no hard evidence, it became difficult to take the issue up legally. We combed the premises of the school and nothing was found, probably because time had elapsed and the school might have cleaned up,” Mujota said.

“After our initial reports, the state government team had visited the family twice. If they say we did not visit, between when and when are they talking about? We have pictures as evidence of our team’s visit to the child and his mother. There were allegations from the school proprietor that the boy’s parents were trying to extort her. We went to verify the claim,” she added.

“There are larger factors to be considered when you want to close down a school like the population the school is serving,” she said.

According to Mujota, she was only hearing the news of the boy’s death the first time, during her conversation with PUNCH.

Photo Credit: PUNCH

1. keke driver

September 17, 2016 at 4:28 pm

OMG

2. Baby gurl

September 17, 2016 at 4:37 pm

His parents trusted you to care for their son and this is the payment? What wickedness! The teachers that ignored his plea should be reprimanded for negligence to a dependant and charged with second degree murder/manslaughter. Yes, why should caustic soda be within the reach of little children eh? I can’t say they should shut down the school what will happen to the other pupils. Now the Nigeria that I know someone will “settle” someone and the case will vanish into thin air without serving justice for this poor young soul. What happened to the Alu 4 case? May his soul Rest in Perfect Peace.

3. Mimi May

September 17, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Human lives being wasted like chicken. When you don’t have the means for legal action. I weep for my country Nigeria. Always sweeping crimes under the carpet. RIP lol sweet boy. Lost your life because thirst. Water o! Chai… this is pathetic. God avenge for this lol boy’s death.

4. Mimi May

September 17, 2016 at 4:50 pm

…RIP lil sweet boy…

5. mummybobo

September 17, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I just don’t understand Nigerian police….. I cried wen I was reading dis story… Rest well little boy…

6. Corolla

September 17, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Did this Modupe Mujota woman really utter those callous words?! I AM IN SHOCK! No value for human life. A child is murdered and you are concerned about photo evidence of your visit to his parents?! The owner should be sued for negligence! A ward dies due to you turning a school to a factory, and you are still a free person?

“Mujota said that she could not give details of action taken against the proprietor of the school” REALLY?! Looks like the owner has settled somebody. She couldn’t even pay for the child’s medical bills! What a shame! Our country is in shambles! When a 3 year old child can’t even get justice. I am so enraged.

7. Miss Anoni Moss

September 17, 2016 at 6:08 pm

This story is so unbelievably shocking, how can you have acid lying around in a kindergarten and to think that nobody has been arrested, sometimes the injustice and nonchalant attitude in this country baffles me so damn much, how the hell did we get here!

8. BeautifulOnyinye

September 17, 2016 at 6:52 pm

This is extremely sad. I can’t imagine the pain the parents and family are going through.Justice has to be served.Rest in peace little one.

9. Baba Joel

September 17, 2016 at 6:54 pm

THE CASE SHOULD BE REOPENED. IF I HAVE THE MEANS, I WILL PAY FOR THIS. NOW THAT IT HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO THE WORLD, SOMEBODY MUST DO SOMETHING. A PLACE WHERE SUCH A THING HAPPENS SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY. DOES IT MEAN THERE IS NOT CHILD SAFE-GUARDING POLICY IN NIGERIA? EVERYONE WHO TAKES CARE OF CHILDREN, ESPECIALLY, SCHOOLS AND HOSPITALS SHOULD HAVE ONE. THIS CASE WILL NOT BE PUT UNDER THE CARPET. THE CARPET WILL BE SET ON FIRE. THE BLOOD OF THIS LITTLE NIGERIAN WILL NOT ALLOW THOSE WHO SHOULD PROTECT HIM TO REST UNTIL THEY ARE PUNISHED. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS ‘AMUWA-OLORUN’.

10. Missappleberry

September 17, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Sleep on little one. You are in a better place than this sad place called earth. So heartbroken gosh! ??

11. Adaeze Writes

September 17, 2016 at 8:47 pm

A lot of money making business spring up everyday and people call them ‘SCHOOLS’
    Rest in peace dear little one. You’re with God now.

For thrilling stories, visit http://www.adaezewrites.com

12. Adaeze Writes

September 17, 2016 at 8:48 pm

*Businesses* I meant to say

13. Darius

September 17, 2016 at 9:15 pm

May his sweet little soul rest in peace. I used to teach in a kindergarten. The proprietress alloted 12pm for lunch break, and the witch was very strict about it. Any kid that got thirsty had to wait till the alloted time for break. Sometimes the kids would be crying, and she’d tell me to ignore them that they are just being naughty. She would say, “if you give him/her water, another one would say he/she is thirsty too”. Reading this story sent a chill down my spine. Something like this could have happened to a precious little kid under my watch because the proprietress think they shouldn’t drink water until the alloted time for break.

14. Naijatalk

September 17, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Rest in peace dear one. Your nation failed you. No protective laws for children. Who regulates these schools? Shouldn’t there be periodic visits for accreditation? Even at that, money will change hands and the paper of accreditation will appear.

15. Marian

September 17, 2016 at 9:35 pm

OMG!!! This is just horrible. No parent should have to go through this. When i went to visit my uncle, i saw more than 10 schools on one street. One school only finished the first floor the second floor was open and kids had access to it. I don’t know how anyone can approve that school to accept small children. I kept picturing a little kid going up to play and falling. Caustic soda should not be anywhere close to any kid. I’ve watched enough csi and law and order to know if the class teacher who witnessed the event can say what happened that should be enough to open the case along with findings from the hospital. He was on school property when it happened.

16. Fifi

September 17, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Everyone that had a hand in this childs death will not go unpunished, calamity and sorrow shall be their portion including those who are covering up for the school. God comfort his family and may joy return back to their lives

17. 'Diddie

September 17, 2016 at 10:51 pm

So sad…such a cute boy!

18. Idomagirl

September 18, 2016 at 12:33 am

I’m just sick of Nigeria.
    And these wicked souls will get away with it.

19. Gorgeous

September 18, 2016 at 1:15 am

The proprietress better be given caustic soda to drink. How come the state is still letting this establishment remain open? It should be closed and bulldozed down and sold. With compensation given to the boy’s parents. Rubbish.

20. Corolla

September 18, 2016 at 5:51 am

I am still heart broken about this case. I think it’s time for young lawyers to form an organization that offers pro bono services. Have a chapter in diff states, and take up cases like this. Abi does an organization like this exist already?

If the government and police won’t do anything about cases like this, then we the citizens should champion the cause of the down trodden. I am just so sick and tried of the dead bit, useless authority we have in Naija.