News

President Buhari to Launch “Change Begins With Me” Campaign on Thursday

NAN

President BuhariIn a bid to entrench the values of accountability, integrity and inculcate positive attitudinal change in Nigerians, the Federal Government is set to launch the “Change Begins With Me” campaign.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, and the Director-General, National Orientation Agency (NOA), Garba Abari, made this known in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

They said that the campaign was aimed at educating and enlightening Nigerians to appreciate these values which, they noted, are critical to achieving comprehensive national development.

According to them, the campaign is expected to trigger positive change that will boost Nigeria’s image, enable the country gain acceptability and command respect in the comity of nations.

The minister said that President Muhammadu Buhari would launch the programme on Thursday in Abuja.

“About three to five years back now, the role models in the society were people of doubtful character. Money was worshipped; nobody cared where and how one got the money; these are the misplaced values that we are tackling now,” Mohammed said.

He said that the campaign would involve every Nigerian and address the shortcomings of every profession and job.

Mohammed said that the campaign would also feature slogans that could be easily assimilated by the people, in order to correct identified ills in the society.

“We believe that what is wrong with Nigeria is not limited to the elite, the political class and the civil service; if we want that change, therefore, it must address all the issues and target every strata of the society.”

Mohammed said that the campaign was not a replication of the “War Against Indiscipline” which the Buhari-led military administration initiated in 1983 but that it would achieve the same goal using a different means.

“In 1983, they used what they had to achieve what they wanted, which was to correct the decadence in society, tackle corruption and impunity.

However, in the area of enforcement, people alleged infractions and intimidation.

But here, we are going to use the media to appeal to people. We are going to use persuasion, instead of coercion and intimidation.

Our various platforms will be radio, television, print media, bill boards, social media and the like.

Part of our campaign will also be concerts which will be sponsored by people in the private sector,” he added.

The minister, therefore, solicited the support of the private sector towards the success of the campaign.

Mohammed said that the National Orientation Agency (NOA) would be the flagship body driving the campaign, to ensure that it gets to the grassroots.

He further said that NOA had the duty to its success in states local government areas and schools, while traditional rulers and leaders of faith organisations were also expected participated actively in driving the campaign.

In a separate interview, the NOA director-general noted that the programme was also aimed at fighting corruption and encouraging peaceful co-existence in the country.

He said it was regrettable that corruption had done a lot of damage to every sphere of the country.

“The Fight against corruption must not begin with the government; people must be in the vanguard of fighting corruption.

Our schools, roads, hospitals should have been better than what they are now, but corruption has stalled their development.

What would you say about a woman who uses chemical to forcefully ripen banana and sell it to the public; what about a woman who would use a padded `mudu’ to sell rice.

A petrol attendant who would claim not to have change so that the buyer would leave the change; all these are corruption,” Abari said.

He noted that lecturers in tertiary institutions also engaged in corrupt practices by selling handouts to students, while lazy students also cut corners by selling their bodies and giving money to pass examinations.

According to him, the change must start at the individual level and inevitably extend to the society and country at large.

“Nobody is happy with the way corruption has relegated the country to its present situation. We, the citizens, must take a second hard look at what we did wrong that we will not do tomorrow. The change must start with the people in the little things they do in their families, place of work and responsibilities,” Abari said.

1. tunmi

September 6, 2016 at 1:07 pm

If it will create jobs or make sure people are adequately compensated for their work, that would be one way.

• Icrossmyheart

September 6, 2016 at 9:27 pm

All i can is that ‘fish rots from the head’.

2. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 6, 2016 at 1:31 pm

“Nobody is happy with the way corruption has relegated the country to its present situation. We, the citizens, must take a second hard look at what we did wrong that we will not do tomorrow. The change must start with the people in the little things they do in their families, place of work and responsibilities,” Abari said.

Well, Mr. Abari, you better have started this campaign a long way off at the top before bringing it back down to the people. Or else, what’s the point of trying to indoctrinate school children and market women, when they CLEARLY see their leaders doing exactly the opposite of whatever this initiative is meant to teach?

Let the “Change start with me” mantra begin its (daily) chant from the National Assembly, heads of Government Parastatals, etc. And let us all see clear evidence of this…. abi is it the citizen who gets stopped at a police check-point that wants to start telling a trigger-happy policeman asking for N50 that “change starts with me and you”? The change starts with those who lead and who have the authority to make sure it’s getting firmly embedded into the system, otherwise this exercise just amounts to diddlysquat.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

September 6, 2016 at 1:32 pm

BN, what is the deal with the changing avatars, man? It’s blue one day, it’s green the other. Haba?

• Naijatalk

September 6, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Change campaign

• Mz Socially Awkward....

September 6, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Hahahaha! Nwa nne m, in fact na true sumtin you talk so. The change begins on BN…. ??

• Segi

September 6, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I think you’re wrong, it is better to begin at grassroot. Let the citizens start holding their leaders accountable. The president cannot police all the arms of government. We need to be the change we want to see and learn to elect leaders that reflect our values. This is not just limited to politics or government, it should infiltrate all areas of our lives.

• Naijatalk

September 6, 2016 at 4:13 pm

No, change begins at the top because who the followers look up to. The campaign for both leaders and grassroot people should be concurrently run.

• Naijatalk

September 6, 2016 at 4:15 pm

*do the followers look up to?

3. Nakoms

September 6, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Yes change begins with me!

Like the Americans I will say God bless nigeria often.
    I will be pro nigerian in all that I do and say.
    I will patronize made in nigeria goods.
    I will stop cursing my country but will critize my leadership while offering solutions
    I will preach against ethnicity and religious bigotry
    I will not love oyibo people more than my fellow Nigerians
    I realise that while there is still the challenge of tribalism I am a first class citizen in my country.

CHANGE STARTS WITH ME.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!!!!!!!

• WellSpoken

September 6, 2016 at 7:21 pm

@Nakoms: You have spoken well. May you be able to follow through with your determination!

• lacey

September 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm

God bless you @Nakoms! @ Hadiza what is your business with the dollar? is it our medium for exchange? and people that keep complaining that dollar is N425 ,what do you need dollar and pounds for? what do you guys need dollar for sef! Buy made in Nigeria products and services! even the woman that sells garri in the market will tell you that dollar has gone up!na wa!

• bia

September 6, 2016 at 11:01 pm

You are an idiot raised to power 2. The transport to ferry food from the hinterlands cost dollars abi do you manufacture any in Nigeria? The fertilizer to grow food cost dollars. All you fake people shebi you claim to live abroad. Why did you leave? Liars oshi. Mushin bred, Now, you love Nigeria?

• Lacey

September 7, 2016 at 1:28 am

See @ bia ,it clearly goes to show how sick you are in your head and mind!even if I am Ajegunle bred sef!the people that live in all those places are equally human so no prob!so let Nigeria export more and import less dummy dearest!!!

• Oversabi

September 7, 2016 at 9:24 am

Lacey yarning nonsense everytime. Jobless commenter on every every.

• funmi

September 7, 2016 at 5:10 pm

My darling Nakoms I am doing exactly what you are doing
      Yes change begins with me!

Like the Americans I will say God bless nigeria often.
      I will be pro nigerian in all that I do and say.
      I will patronize made in nigeria goods.
      I will preach against ethnicity and religious bigotry
      I will not love oyibo people more than my fellow Nigerians

CHANGE STARTS WITH ME.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!!!!!!!
      So help us God.

4. mummy bobo

September 6, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Change should start with buhari and his household after all charity begins at home. When we see d change from him then we the masses will change…….. Food no dey my belle I go get power take preach change…. Ndiara

• FasholasLover

September 6, 2016 at 2:59 pm

This man is a joker. Launching, Launching, Launching noise signifying nothing. Change can start now that all his children hv graduated from Uni abroad.. Nice, coming from a man who did not hv 1M to pay for his nomination form.

I dare say the poor masses love Nigeria more than our so called leaders. Let the change start by prunning the number of the jets in the Presidential fleet. Next time Bubu, go to the National hospital when ur eyes start failing so you can see the rot there. Start by pushing for a change in a constitution that rewards legislators for being outrageously remunerated for working for only half of the year busy doing nothing.. Do we really need a senate, Fed house of reps etc. Start by reducing the number of SA, SSA and the list goes on. These are some of the holes in the national pocket.

People are hungry. People are fearful of retaining their jobs. The healthcare is a mess. There is no security. Latch on to the low hanging fruits
      Let the people see visible change from the leadership no matter how small and watch them follow
      Nobody gats time for do as l say. That time yaff passed

PS/Bring back my green Avatar. I don’t want this change?

• nene+

September 6, 2016 at 4:23 pm

What will a man who saturated his govt with incompetent inlaws, family and friends from his clan preach to a woman who pads her garri mudu?

A woman who sells chemical banana is same as a president who declared 1miilion naira balance but got about 3 children in UK universities.

How about the fraudulent electoral promises?

Indeed the change should start from his household!

5. fleur

September 6, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Instead of spending time changing human behavior by reaching out to some altruistic piece of an individual that may or may not exist or be dead after years of socioeconomic battering, why not just change the systems within which Nigerians operate? It’s cheaper. Please there is mucho science on the effectiveness of targeting individual behavior versus systems change. Examples abound from cigarette cessation, prostitution prevention and other types of behavior modification efforts. For example, buhari, can you change the fact that you prefer to deal with moslems and people from the north? No. Should we kill you for it? No. It is your preference and bias informed by whatever myopic lens reigns supreme in your life. But if we have a system with operational checks and balances, you would not have been able to Islamize the cabinet positions in your government irrespective of your weird whims. Also, takes about a decade or two to destroy values and a generation to restore. This is not an optimized use of scarce resources.

• Kkay

September 15, 2016 at 11:46 pm

@ Fleur, you couldn’t have said it any better.
      It I would say it takes a century to change the value system of a people.
      President Buhari what is the content of the country’s educational system? Obviously not good enough for your own Children to be sent to foreign schools.
      When an educational system is sound in imparting knowledge and moral values from the society becomes sane. Ethical behavior would reign from the healthcare sector to the Judiciary; ftom the Presidency to the Legislative, from the First Lady to the market woman.

6. 3ples

September 6, 2016 at 2:16 pm

“Yes change begins with me!

Like the Americans I will say God bless nigeria often.
    I will be pro nigerian in all that I do and say.
    I will patronize made in nigeria goods.
    I will preach against ethnicity and religious bigotry
    I will not love oyibo people more than my fellow Nigerians

CHANGE STARTS WITH ME.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!!!!!!!”

God bless you @Nakoms for this comment… If you do not put your house in order, you cannot expect your guest to fix it for you…This is the problem with Nigerians. Quick to throw blame and point fingers. A typical Nigerian wants to cheat their neighbor just to make more money. When the bible said “THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL, it must have had Nigeria in mind. The level of greed and intolerance is obscene. I met a part time taxi driver who wants to own a house in Banana island and I asked him why, he said it’s cos his MD has land there and the MD doesn’t have 2 heads. So I asked him if he makes the same kind of money his MD makes or if they do the same job. He replied that it doesn’t matter, he has to have a house in banana island by all means. It scared me to hear him talk like that considering he spent the entire journey singing gospel songs… That is the main problem here. If your house is dirty, you shouldn’t complain when your guest contribute to the dirt.

if we are clean and incorruptible then we will have no tolerance for a corrupt govt… But then 9.5 out of every Nigerian I have met wants to be a part of govt so they can chop their own ‘share’. Nobody cares anymore!!!!! And it’s sad. We need to start taking responsibility. This is not about Buhari but about us as a people…We have lost our way and its not govt that will fix our homes!!!!

Change Starts with Me!!!!

7. Uberhaute looks

September 6, 2016 at 2:50 pm

When I don chop, I go remember

8. ogeAdiro

September 6, 2016 at 3:19 pm

The people are the government. Our problem pass Goodluck or Buhari. But not to worry, our messiah president will surely come. How can I question someone in authority to their face? Do you want them to kill me?

9. Ugomma

September 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I don’t agree with this one bit. First of all what is the actual plan? People are suffering and starving and you are talking about a change of attitude. People have lost their jobs, some have not been paid for over six months and you think this is what concerns people.they are talking about a possible Increase in fuel prices, food prices have gone up and attitude is the problem. Fine Nigerians could do with more accountability, professionalism etc. But we need structures in place to ensure that this happens. it starts from the head to the tail in my opinion. After all the government started the corruption and it trickled down.

10. Darius

September 6, 2016 at 3:42 pm

This man doesn’t have the slightest idea how Nigerians feel about his presidency. Nigerians are hurting, and he keeps adding insult to injury with things like this.

11. Oprah

September 6, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Lol…Sounds like one of those Linda Ikeji I am self made campaigns…

12. EE

September 6, 2016 at 4:28 pm

God Bless Nigeria.

I would like to point out though, that this is a waste of money. Greater more powerful governments than the Nigerian state in the Soviet Union and China have tried to change human behaviour, they failed. Even with religion its a daily struggle. @Fleur and @Ugomma have it exactly right, in my opinion.

What do I know though, I voted for the man.

13. Jade

September 6, 2016 at 5:58 pm

When will Buhari do launching for employment, and economy resuscitation?
    I can’t believe Naijas are allowing him to get away with his foolishness.

14. Hadiza

September 6, 2016 at 6:51 pm

For heavenly sakes plssssssssss you don’t need to launch a champaign to do what you are voter to do … This government do not have any single plan … Dollar is 425 and pound is 535 to one naira … Cost of living is high salary has not being increased n Smes are suffering , we are solely living by import , How bad can any economy get … I have braved myself that nothing
    Like change will happen any time soon

• artklub

September 6, 2016 at 11:00 pm

dont mind them. they have time for this…but not to do their actual job….shifting blame as usual this time to citizens. this administration does not have the credibility to launch such a campaign,they should face their front….soon they will make it illegal to criticize the government! thunda fire dem!

15. artklub

September 6, 2016 at 10:54 pm

mood; perturbed

• artklub

September 7, 2016 at 9:04 am

Bubu the Blame Shifta!

16. Wana

September 6, 2016 at 11:01 pm

God help Nigeria!

17. Tosin

September 7, 2016 at 7:53 am

Feed people first.

18. Peyton

September 7, 2016 at 2:35 pm

The DG of NAN said his daugter travelled via Virgin Alantic. He then proceeded to talk about buying or patronising made in Nigeria. You wonder why his daugher did not fly via Arik. Thats what these self serving campaigns are all about. Like others have said let it start with those who lead this nation. Let them stop the nepotism that is eating deep into this nation. The government should be the change it preached. If it has done that it wouldnt need to pass any form of orientaion to its citizens.