Scoop

“I am a woman…I deserve my rights” – Veteran Actress Hilda Dokubo speaks on President Buhari’s Statements

Hilda DokuboVeteran actress Hilda Dokubo shared a video on Instagram a couple of hours ago where she speaks against the statements made by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The actress is enraged in the video as she talks about how she doesn’t belong to the kitchen, living room, bedroom or “the other room”.

Watch below.

Wow I just found the OTHER room? Hit the video twice if you like it

A video posted by Hilda Dokubo (@hildadokubo) on

1. Ekene

October 17, 2016 at 11:03 am

Buhari is in on it

2. Prince

October 17, 2016 at 11:05 am

Madam, don’t waste your energy on PMB please. It’s not worth it. I love you so much. The part of this country that Buhari is from, women are nothing.
    Look at what they did to that actress (Rahama). If its a man, nothing will happen because he’s a man so he can get away with anything. This country should just divide already. I’m phucking tired.

3. Marlvina

October 17, 2016 at 11:25 am

Aunty Dokubo, the entire world is embarrassed by the statement. However, nothing will change Buhari’s viewpoint about women. It’s deeper than what we think or comprehend, considering our different cultural backgrounds; same way they are known to marry under-aged girls. Don’t sweat it! Na dem dem…

• DR ANUKU

October 18, 2016 at 9:55 am

THANK YOU MARLVINA. YOU HAVE, IN MY VIEW, STATED THE OBVIOUS. THESE PEOPLE ALWAYS DRAG THE PROGRESS BACKWARDS!

4. ogbo

October 17, 2016 at 11:27 am

people misinterpreted Buhari’s statement

• Odi

October 17, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Correctly interprete it for us then sir

5. Engoz

October 17, 2016 at 11:53 am

Not necessarily talking about Hilda Dokubo…but

Traditional cultures require women to belong to the kitchen and the other room though. Women are property to their husbands. I think it’s very hypocritical when women who believe in preserving traditional roles get offended by Buhari’s comments when he’s just stating the obvious. If a woman had said my husband must provide financially for me, my money is my money, his money is ours, I don’t believe men will throw a tantrum as much as this. Buhari stated the obvious…Nigerian women still belong in the kitchen. And this narrative is being enforced by Nigerian women. I believe only feminists have the right to check Buhari without being a hypocrite, because it goes along with their ideology.

• IDONTCARE

October 17, 2016 at 12:33 pm

@Engoz. Thank Goodness at least one person in the person of Engoz is making sense. For God sake Buhari was referring to his “wife”and NOT women. His statement does not affect me in any way as a woman.

A lot of men come here to condemn Buhari for saying his wife belong to his kitchen or whatever, same men here have their girl friend’s name saved as ëdiblecatering”on their phone. Same applies to women who come here to rant but cant say a word at home when their husbands’ talks.

Women whether we like it or not it is our responsibility to take good care of our husbands, no matter how educated or highly placed you are. Or you think the likes of Obi Ezewensili, Ngozi okonjo Iweala are not facing one challenge or the other in the homes? You think they don’t know the roads that leads to BBC?

Please let us stop taking pain killers for other people’s pains.

• Engoz

October 17, 2016 at 11:14 pm

I absolutely disagree with your conclusions especially your last paragraph. It is the duty of both parties to take care of each other in a marriage. It should not be placed on the female alone. Neither am I privy to Oby and Ngozi’s kitchen challenges to involve them in this conversation. But at least you are not trying to eat your cake and have it which is fine by me. As a feminist Buhari’s statements are demeaning, but if I were a traditional woman like yourself I really dunno why I should be offended when Buhari only stated the obvious…that women belonged in the kitchen and the other room.

• nnenne

October 18, 2016 at 12:19 am

@ I don’t care…
      And what is my husband’s role?

In the year 2016, couples seeking progress should not impose gender boundaries on themselves.
      Whoever has the time should help out and whoever has the money should spend it.
      If, I, the wife have more time ,then I will cook If my family decide that my career pays more and more advantageous for the family then my husband or a surrogate will cook.
      Decisions for the family shoulf be taken together because two good heads are better than one.. Just respect each other .
      I am not in anyway less human than my husband.

• nnenne

October 18, 2016 at 12:21 am

Pardon my typos
      Typing in transit

6. Benson Ossai

October 17, 2016 at 11:58 am

Buhari’s comment was an insult not to just Mrs Aisha but womanhood.Women.I expect women to raise-up and say NO to it.

7. Abik

October 17, 2016 at 12:04 pm

@engoz: all I can say is shame on you. Nigerian women still belong in the kitchen my foot.

• Engoz

October 17, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Shame on me ke? Teheheh are Nigerian women not known to get angry when gender roles are challenged? They claim they enjoy their kitchen duties while the males should provide. Why get angry when Buhari states the obvious? Buhahaha!

8. oo

October 17, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Urenma

9. Joyce

October 17, 2016 at 7:54 pm

It’s a shame that people who seem educated and can make correct sentences like @engoz and @Idontcare could still write something so blatantly stupid. That @Idontcare only see’s this insult as only affecting the first lady shows how repressed and myopic her thought pattern is. A insult from such an authority as the head of state to the first lady is a huge blow to the worth of women in general (now we know why the bill for women right and equality was thrown out and considered a joke). As for @engoz I pity the woman who marries you cos she will very much objectified by you and only be an instrument used for your pleasure when needed.

• Engoz

October 17, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Joyce, I do not disagree with you. Howeverrrrr, Buhari is correct in his assertions according to traditional laws and customs that many Nigerian women tend to abide by and want to retain.

• Funmi

October 18, 2016 at 8:51 am

Aisha is the CEO of a thriving company. One of Buhari’s daughters is a lawyer. His girls are graduates. I have read posts from some of my friends who, surprisingly, failed to see the statement credited to Buhari as a joke. I have followed some of them on Facebook. I know most of them will not tolerate any dissenting view from their wives.
      Aisha is not in purdah. She is not confined to the kitchen, literally. I doubt if she still cooks. I would have expected the new supporters of Aisha to ask Buhari about the location of the kitchen. Is it Aso Villa where there exists a culinary complex? Look at Aisha and tell us if she belongs to the category of oppressed women. The fact that she granted the controversial interview bears eloquent testimony to Buhari’s character.

10. Natu

October 18, 2016 at 8:41 am

The queendom of the Nigerian/African woman is the kitchen and y’all know it!!!

11. Funmi

October 18, 2016 at 8:47 am

Some of this celebrities make noise on what does not concern them.
    What most of them go through in their matrimonial homes….. if they have any is unthinkable.
    Apart from the fact that PMB is the President of Nigeria….He is the President of his home and have every authourity over his home because he is capable.

12. Natu

October 18, 2016 at 8:59 am

The queendom of the Nigerian/African woman is the kitchen and y’all know it!!! I don’t know why y’all are offended. I thought y’all loved cooking and it is the woman’s duty to cook!!! Isn’t that the mantra here on BN? Lol I actually love how Buhari belittled the kitchen area because it exposed the true feelings of most African men towards women.

13. Cornelius O Ogunsalu

October 19, 2016 at 11:15 am

The lady here has overreacted to a light by the President that has been misinterpreted . . . he is taking pride in his wife’s abilities as a woman who has been his LOYAL and LOVING partner for decades and they have beautiful children support that. He is a man whose wife has fed him well and has loved him well . . . and that was what he was trying to share in his banter, that has gotten everybody in a self-righteous tizzy. Including many hypocritical Nigerian men who typically abuse women and see them as less than. I will say that Buhari, being raised as a military man IS trying hard to be a “bloody civilian” and is over-compensating and falls short at times. Give the poor guy a break . . . he has a very difficult task ahead, i.e., that of getting Nigeria back on track! This is just another distraction in a series of [weekly] distractions that consume Nigerians daily . . . while they ignore the important issues that will prevent Nigeria from being a failed nation.

14. Cornelius O Ogunsalu

October 19, 2016 at 11:16 am

The lady here has overreacted to a light banter by the President that has been misinterpreted . . . he is taking pride in his wife’s abilities as a woman who has been his LOYAL and LOVING partner for decades and they have beautiful children support that. He is a man whose wife has fed him well and has loved him well . . . and that was what he was trying to share in his banter, that has gotten everybody in a self-righteous tizzy. Including many hypocritical Nigerian men who typically abuse women and see them as less than. I will say that Buhari, being raised as a military man IS trying hard to be a “bloody civilian” and is over-compensating and falls short at times. Give the poor guy a break . . . he has a very difficult task ahead, i.e., that of getting Nigeria back on track! This is just another distraction in a series of [weekly] distractions that consume Nigerians daily . . . while they ignore the important issues that will prevent Nigeria from being a failed nation.