News

Read the Full Text of Aisha Buhari’s Interview with BBC Hausa

BellaNaija.com

Aisha Buhari

Aisha Buhari

The full text of the interview of wife of the president, Aisha Buhari, by BBC Hausa Service has been released.

Aisha had alleged that few people in President Buhari‘s administration have hijacked power, while neglecting people that work for his success.

Read below:

BBC Hausa: People have goodwill towards President Muhammadu Buhari, especially looking at the things he did before, but since coming into power things have not been working the way they should, what do you think is the cause?

Aisha Buhari: I am not a government official, but in my opinion as a woman, and a mother, I think it is well known that the first 4 years are not going to be easy. Firstly, it was people that brought the government into power. More than half of those people were not appointed into the government. Some people that are not politicians nor professionals were brought into the government. They don’t even know what we said we want and what we don’t during the campaign. They even come out to say they are not politicians but are occupying the offices meant for politicians. Some have parted with their wives, some lost their children, some women too have parted with their husbands because of politics. A lot happened during the time. The way things are going I am not happy. We are just starting, we have not finished. Some people that worked for the government have been appointed, but among those heading government agencies, one is fighting his state governor. They contested together during elections, one in APC while the other in PDP.

BBC Hausa: Who are those doing these things?

Aisha Buhari: Everybody knows them. Those people should know that people voted singly. Even Buhari too had one vote. Nobody voted 5 times. 15.4 million people voted for this govenment. I am pleading to them to have the people at heart and embrace everybody so that we can all move together.

Even now in 2016 or 2017, lots of people are creating divisions within the APC, which is our source of concern. They have worked for the government but among those appointed, some of them had no voter’s card. What I fear is the uprising of 15.4 million people.

BBC Hausa: Is the President aware some people are subverting his government?

Aisha Buhari: Whether he knows or he does not, those that voted for him know.

BBC Hausa: But you are the closest to him, did you tell him?

Aisha Buhari: There is nothing I can tell him, he is seeing things himself. If you take 50 persons out of the people he has appointed, I don’t know 45 of them. Perhaps he doesn’t know them too. I have been living with him for 27 years.

BBC Hausa: Do you think there are some people that are dictating to the President things to do?

Aisha Buhari: That is what I am saying, those that know they don’t have voter’s card, they should give chance to those that have, they are the ones that struggled and know what we want to do.

BBC Hausa: You say some people have hijacked the government without him knowing, who do you think are those people?

Aisha Buhari: I don’t know them, I don’t know them. I don’t know them.

BBC Hausa: But some people are calling names, saying 2 or 3 are the ones, do you think that as well?

Aisha Buhari: Yes, I agree. Because those appointed apart from Fashola, Ameachi and some others, I don’t know them. Most of us too don’t know them, and he too does not know them.

BBC Hausa: Knowing Buhari as a person who has had leadership experiences, people would not believe that he’s not the one in charge.

Aisha Buhari: Yes it is surprising; nobody thought it was going to be like this. But now it is so. Sometimes when one is doing something wrong without him knowing, he/she should listen when people talk to them. Because in the future, whether he is going to contest or not, it is that same people that would vote for APC.

BBC Hausa: You said “Whether he is going to contest in the future or not”, has he disclosed it to you that he will be contesting or not?

Aisha Buhari: He didn’t tell me, but I have made up my mind.

Watch the full interview HERE.

1. A Real Nigerian

October 14, 2016 at 11:51 pm

Did a 5-year-old transcribe/translate this?
    “Most closest”
    “Whether he knows or he do not”
    “And everybody don’t hope so”
    WTF???

• Muva

October 15, 2016 at 1:27 am

Abeg GTFOH damned troll!!! What do you know apart from your hate for ALL Nigerian men! Go and start your own blogging website and employ your own translators to translate. If you like go on your migraine causing rants, your headache. And yeah go see a counselor for your rape induced trauma. Its not healthy carrying such sh## baggage around as its clearly causing you to denigrate. ODE!

• Wana

October 15, 2016 at 2:20 am

Not the transcriber’s fault. Aisha Buhari actually speaks that way.

• Mujercasada

October 15, 2016 at 3:19 am

Aisha Buhari,I have not been a fan of you or your hubby. However, I will call a spade a spade. She is calling out for help for her husband. When Jonathan was going into Aso Rock as VP, I called my father, one of his mentors from way back excited. My father said he was not sure it was a good thing for him to go. He said “Jonathan is not wired for the nasty kind of people you have in politics today.” He thought Jonathan was a typical “ijaw civil servant” (only rivers people will understand this) who will balk at ripping people off and like to follow due process. He said that none of the people in governor’s mansions and the presidential villa could be trusted if they told you it was morning, To him, all of them had very stupefying self interests that drove their every decisions, human life meant nothing to them, service to people was not a concept they could even voice not to talk of comprehend, and extreme desperation and greed was their fuel. I remember laughing at my father’s words. He was very good at giving graphic descriptions of the simplest things. He was very certain that only a devious person could be successful in Aso Rock. I asked him if he was going to call Jonathan so we could visit once he made it there. He said I was not listening to him. He aptly noted that the very people who will commandeer him for their personal purposes will ensure that nobody outside their circle will access the president lest the scales come off his eyes. This is exactly what unfolded in Aso Rock. The same thing is happening with Buhari. It is not the same cabal. it is a different one, northern in origin and with the crudest of northern agendas. Yes, they use juju. However, their main tactic is isolation. They isolate you from people who keep you centered. Then they make you suspicious of even yourself so that you rely on them wholly. its psychological warfare. Not to say there is no metaphysical stuff going on. They do that too and if you are not spiritually strong, you are a goner.

Let us not call Aisha crazy. she is clearly a woman who has tried to communicate with her dear husband, and is frustrated that she knows not the plans or planners he is working with. this explains the inaction of Buhari. He has been cornered by the thick fungus that occupies all governor’s mansions and Aso rock.

• FasholasLover

October 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Spot on. To cut a long story short, l heard from a very reliable source that GEJ often complained that whenever certain people visit him – energy leaves him and he becomes confused. Decisions that had been well thot out for implementation were just jettisoned for some crazy ones. I believe your father. I usually do not believe in jazz/juju and witchcraft as we know it. But, the man must know what he went through. Your father is right l must say.

• TEE

October 16, 2016 at 5:21 am

You have opened my eyes…thanks

2. word

October 15, 2016 at 12:02 am

For Aisha to grant this bold interview, all is definitely not well in the living room and especially that ”other room”.

• Marlvina

October 15, 2016 at 1:28 am

It’s too obvious that the “other room” has been under lock and key for some years now! But going back to the matter at hand, it’s also evident that these two are living like total strangers under one roof; that’s if the roof is still there, as the drama has kicked in. They lack that matrimonial bond, affection, communication. ideology etc. Aisha find’s it so difficult airing her voice to her husband and she presumes the only way he can have an ear is through the media. Unfortunately, she got it all wrong, it dint go down well with him and he clapped back! From a cultural stand, let’s not forget how less important and inferior the men perceive the females. Marrying them so young as early as 14yrs, portraying them as slaves and housewives. How dare you speak on economical issues? What do you know about power and Nigerian politics? Who gave you a government position even? Do you even have an office in this administration; other than moving around setting up campaigns and NGO’s!! For you to tell me I run my government distastefully? Some questions Buhari prolly throws at her. SMH! I can imagine how hurt Aisha feels knowing that her hubby totally disregards her stand.

3. Ben

October 15, 2016 at 12:34 am

I agree we should be bold and honest. But Nigerians will forget this interview while those people Aisha wants out of the cable will start fighting her indirectly and she will loose… its ok TO report things but be sure you are ready for what comes next.

4. Wale

October 15, 2016 at 1:10 am

BN what happened to my green avatar?
    Anyway, I am beginning to think Aisha and her husband planned the whole drama to force blame on daura, kyari and co. This is just unprecedented-that a First Lady in any country will come swinging publicly against her husband. A Muslim nigerian woman for that matter. I give her respect o! It is either it was planned or this cabal have just frustrated the poor woman to go nuclear – she must be like damn it, I don’t give a fcuk! Let them lock me up in a room for the next two years. We will know in the coming days when Buhari gets back. If he divorces her, then it is real. If he doesn’t then wink wink, there is a strategy to this madness. I just can’t phantom a 75yr old elder statesman talking without filter. We are watching…

• Ceetoo

October 15, 2016 at 8:05 am

Thank you. Simply put it was planned. We are the deceived audience. 2019 loading

5. EE

October 15, 2016 at 1:32 am

Omo Aisha’s shading game??????

“Some people that are not politicians nor professionals were brought into the government.”: Dalung, I believe this is yours.

“one is fighting his state governor.”: Amaechi ohh.

6. Boomerang.

October 15, 2016 at 2:31 am

Hahahahaha!

And to think Nigerians said GEJ could not control his wife, and her utterances!

Guess who’s laughing now!

Patience has reward. (I’m just saying the meaning of Surulere.)

Hahahahaha!

• Iris

October 15, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Seriously? That’s all you can think about after this? Did Patience pay your school fees or something? Is she your sister? I will never understand blind loyalty to someone who is of no use. Anyway, if she was useful to you she was utterly useless to the rest of us, so bye.
      At first when this interview came out I was on the fence about the way she spoke about the president, despite some of the decisions he has made. Now…I’m kind of on her side

7. Jay

October 15, 2016 at 6:49 am

She is speaking out…saying the truth…read in between the lines..

8. Omotee

October 15, 2016 at 7:23 am

Please how does this interview help her, her husband or Nigeria? How do you come out to publicly air your dirty linen? An enlightened woman would know how to answer questions without divulging unnecessary info or buying herself enemies. I don’t think na today Wey she no sabi Wetin dey. So as you have gone on air he will change ba? Aunty Aisha, this one, you no try.

• GREY

October 15, 2016 at 8:06 am

no mind her, she no try. Na today she start to dey see dis wahala. she really wants to be involved so bad, also so badly wants to be involved in calling the shots. I have not forgotten she is as greedy as the people she is pointing fingers at. She and her Husband are really not alright.

• FasholasLover

October 15, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Thank you. You are one of the few who understand what Aisha’s grouse is. This is not about Nigeria. It is about self preservation. I have heard terrible things about how greedy Aisha is. She is obviously not happy that she has no powers. Turai, Mariam had serious powers and Gov’s bowed to them. Aisha? Of course, no one cares ‘cos they know she has no influence. Babe ain’t happy at all. This, coupled with no shagging is enough to drive a woman round the bend. If no shagging, at least let me wield influence/small power. Mba, Buhari belongs to everybody and no one.

• MUKHUBA

October 18, 2016 at 4:57 pm

omotee, is the cry of nigerians that makes her reveal all this, but it was not in her plan. God is exposing all the lies behind the bullshit called APC

9. yemite

October 15, 2016 at 11:07 am

Kudos to you sir Mr President. The only way you might be accuse of stealing by politician is the office of the first lady. Pls mr President don’t allow such. We are proud of you. Let some fool call you different name, am very very and very sure the only name they can never call you is a thief. I repeat we are proud of you. Mind you am not in support of APC or PDP but the fact is that some useless Leader in APC are the cause of all this nonsense. Stop engine Aisha to her husband APC Kabal

10. Apples

October 15, 2016 at 11:20 am

She’s not airing any dirty linen, she’s simply speaking as a Nigerian…. if she supports her husband blindly, you people will still call her dumb.

Anyway this just looked planned to me.

• Mrs. A

October 15, 2016 at 11:34 am

I think you mean fathom, dear. Not phantom.

• fixnigeriaseries

October 16, 2016 at 11:25 am

Thank you o. This is what I’ve been trying to point attention to since the news broke. These media folks (BBC and the ones that captured Buhari’s response) have an insidious, hidden agenda many Nigerians are blind to. Valid points were raised but something just doesn’t sound right.

11. Prince

October 15, 2016 at 1:53 pm

So where does the headline, I’m Not Campaigning for APC comes from. Media and their propaganda