News

“I want to challenge the decision as I believe it’s a punitive action” – Nurse sacked for Discussing Christianity & Offering to Pray with Patients | WATCH

BellaNaija.com

Sister Sarah Kuteh

Sister Sarah Kuteh

Sister Sarah Kuteh, a nurse in the U.K with 15 years experience has been sacked by the management of Darent Valley hospital in Dartford, Kent, for “gross misconduct”.

Kuteh was accused of holding “unwanted discussions” which allegedly upset patients and ignoring conduct guidelines on discussing personal beliefs.

The mother-of-three, who is now suing the hospital for unfair dismissal, said she was offering solace to patients she believed were happy to chat about their beliefs, and described her sacking as ‘disproportionate and punitive’, reports DailyMail.

The dismissal comes after the Equality and Human Rights Commission criticised politically correct organisations that restrict freedom of expression. A few weeks ago Theresa May told MPs that Christians should feel able to talk about their faith in the workplace.

“It was embarrassing for me – and painful after all I had done in my years as a nurse. I was told I couldn’t even speak to my colleagues. All I had done was to nurse from my heart. How could it be harmful to tell someone about Jesus?” she told DailyMail.

One patient had complained that she was given a Bible that she didn’t want while another said that Kuteh was ‘preaching’ at her.

Three more complaints were levelled against her in June leading to her suspension before being sacked in August and an appeal being rejected.

Kuteh said that after a warning in April, she became more careful about speaking on her religion, and only speaks to patients who approached her with the subject first.

“We have a duty to our patients that when they are at their most vulnerable they are not exposed to unsolicited beliefs and/or views, religious or otherwise. We feel we have acted appropriately in this case,” the Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust said.

Kuteh has taken to YouTube to explain that the discussions only arose as it was her job to help patients fill out pre-op assessment forms, which dealt with their religion.

“My job was to go through questionnaires with patients and an aspect of this is religion.

There is an aspect in each of these questionnaires where I have to deal with religion and a patient would have to state their religion – or not. This would always bring about the most discussions.

I discussed my religion with a patient and how I have found Jesus Christ and how much peace I have. Especially when patients have come to me really really devastated sometimes and I have had to reassure them based on the joy and peace I really have found with the Lord.

I want to challenge the decision as I believe it’s a punitive action, and I’ve had 15 years exemplary nursing. How could telling anyone about Jesus Christ really be harmful to any patient?” she said in the clip.

WATCH:

1. A Real Nigerian

December 11, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Why preach the gospel to those who want none of it?
    Aren’t these the same people who say homosexuality is being shoved down their throats by the West and mainstream media?
    Newsflash: Not everyone wants to hear about Jesus.

• Darius

December 11, 2016 at 6:26 pm

We won’t stop until the whole world hear about Jesus. We’ll shove it down their throat if need be. The world must accept Jesus. By fire by force.

• Abena

December 11, 2016 at 6:53 pm

You should read Desmond Tutu’s book “God is not a Christian”.

• A Real Nigerian

December 11, 2016 at 7:00 pm

“The world must accept Jesus. By fire by force.”
      Then don’t complain when Boko Haram kidnaps some Christian girls and force them to accept Mohammed’s teachings “by fire, by force”.

• gangstar

December 11, 2016 at 7:11 pm

The prophet didn’t teach brutality

• Fact

December 11, 2016 at 7:22 pm

@Darius, what a shame…….if a Muslim did the same you would call them a terrorist. Jesus never said you shoul disrespect people’s space. That is spiritual arrogance. There must be another Jesus I don’t know about. The best way to spread any faith is through character. Let people wonder what God that wonderful person serves.
      Personally, it’s a huge turnoff and people like me believe God doesn’t need you to harangue anyone. He will call his own people and choose the circumstances Himself.

• The Real Oma

December 11, 2016 at 8:56 pm

@Darius, what an ignorant comment.

• Esther

December 12, 2016 at 2:37 am

@darius
      That’s right. Tell the truth and shame satan the father of lies. Jesus Christ is the way, truth and life. He’s the ONLY way. You don’t preach the gospel by being politically correct and staying quiet. The apostles Paul for example preached the gospel everywhere so Jews, Gentiles and everybody can hear the good news. Jesus himself didn’t stay quiet. So the true followers of Christ are supposed to follow that footsteps and not be ashamed.
      It’s stupid to compare because Islam actively believes in jihad war and send their message through violence. Nothing harmful about sharing Jesus.

• Lilian

December 12, 2016 at 10:59 am

The world has no choice but to accept Jesus! The Prince of Peace. We preach peace, love and joy to the world.

• Prince Charming

December 12, 2016 at 6:53 am

I had to watch the video. The sister was just cool, calm and collected. Having Jesus is the best thing that can ever happen to anyone. She just kept smiling all through. Keep the fire burning sister!

• YestoTrue gospel

December 12, 2016 at 7:15 pm

@real Nigerian
      Whether you want to hear about God or not, it will be heard and should be mentioned. Look at yourself, God is written all over you unless you created yourself. Jesus said, if you are ashamed of HIM, He will be ashamed of you. And this lady has nothing to worry about, Jesus has her covered. Some people do it foolishly but in this case this nurse did nothing wrong.

People don’t complain about sexual talks, gossips, politics, shopping, men/women bashing etc but immediately it’s Jesus talk, everybody become sensitive. Why? Because the TRUTH is narrow and more difficult to receive than lies. We are too “big” to talk about Jesus now. We are nothing.
      We refrain from talking about the same God who gives you life everyday, created you, made the whole world. I don’t care what nobody says but when I take few minutes to look at different human features, creation around me, all the animals, the human body and the function, moon, sun this can’t be a Big Bang theory. I applaud this woman for doing something bold in an evil world where sin is encouraged more.

2. Godfather

December 11, 2016 at 6:18 pm

You have freedom of worship granted, you have fellowship with your church members granted, you probably evangelize in your community on given days also granted, but your place of work is not your personal space, you applied for the position, you were interviewed and having satisfied the requirements you were called to take up a position, subject to the authority you work under.

You took a personal decision to heal from your soul, was that in the contract you signed up for, you are being paid for your medical services and not your spiritual stance, your submission in court will more than likely hit a brick wall. Simply based on “who sent you” ….

Nigerians in the Uk have taken this evangelism to another level, shouting on the bus, in the town centre, transporting noise from Nigeria to the western world, I hope your case is thrown out, you were given warnings to desist from the activity considered to be against the stand of your employer, but over sabi no gree you listen, now you have been shown the door your employer is wicked.

Yet the bible says obedience is better than sacrifice, you did not obey your employers and you want fair hearing.

The pastor that may have told you to go and win 10 souls this week, operation devil must be defeated, will not pay your mortgage or bills, he may probably pray this demonic attack away, but the courts will have the final say.

This should be a lesson to others who will not mind their lane, and be do doing busy body without taking into consideration limitations that may have been put in place to safe guard others from fanatical religious preaching.

• Darius

December 11, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Wow… 49likes in less than a minute. Wow….just wow. I hope it makes you feel good.

• Nahum

December 11, 2016 at 9:22 pm

She should feel good. She made perfect sense. I am a Christian but evangelicals piss me off. They are noisy and unreasonable but are the first to complain that feminists and LGBTQ are shoving their ideologies down their throats.

• Christian InDEED

December 12, 2016 at 10:24 pm

@ Nahum, I wish I could agree with you… Saying you’re a Christian when you don’t speak it. Doesn’t just cut it…
      …evangelicals piss me off. They are noisy and unreasonable… WOW, just WOW!! What a Christian you are!!

3. Paul Adeyemo

December 11, 2016 at 6:22 pm

The woman went too far in a Country that despises their past and hate Christianity with a passion. The irony of UK where I live and work is that Islam and her adherents are allow to flaunt their religion even in the work place. You can abuse an English as you want but don’t just mention Christianity to their ears. The woman can’t win this case.

• Fact

December 11, 2016 at 7:27 pm

So sad when people just don’t get it. This one is trying to turn this into a Christian versus muslim thing. Produce a verse in the scripture that says you must force people to follow your faith. There is a time and place for everything. Are you God’s PA? The time people spend harassing others use it to fix yourself and your relationship with God. Na wa for people.

4. Jane

December 11, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Preach woman, preach! Jesus is life. And when you encounter Jesus,you can’t contain it. You have to share it. The Lord is your strength. What the world needs today is Jesus. Period

• Mohammad

December 11, 2016 at 6:55 pm

And of what use is preaching to somebody who goes on to complain about the said preaching? Are you seriously telling me that you expect them to receive this Jesus of whom you speak while shoving it down their throats? Ridiculous! And I bet any money that you’re one of those people who complain about ISIS or Boko Haram when you are just as guilty of the nonsense!

5. Agu

December 11, 2016 at 6:46 pm

If this woman is in the 3rd world country with people with 3rd mentality she can do that but in civlized country like UK the can,t let it. She is even lucky she is not doing it America just one law suit on her ass she will run back to the country she came from. .

• Bolu

December 12, 2016 at 3:52 am

“Civilized country” LOL

6. Mohammad

December 11, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Look at this foolish woman! Of course it is a punitive action. You had been warned several times yet you’re acting surprised that they acted when you flouted the rules. Well surprise woman! Ask Jesus to give you your next job. Perhaps in some “end-time” ministry.

• Binam

December 11, 2016 at 7:46 pm

You f***ing Taliban. Suicide bomber. Terrorist! Disciple and follower of a peadophile. What is your freaking business in this matter? Boko Haram sympathizer.

• Mohammad

December 11, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Ara adugbo Bella Naija egbami! Look at this butthurt illiterate fundamentalist fool jumping to conclusions that I am at all religious! That many of you cannot read the comments and what I might be replying is not my problem. Anyone who says people must listen to their preachings by force by fire is exactly the same as Boko Haram and ISIS. If you don’t like that, either change or go and die. ?

• The Real Oma

December 11, 2016 at 9:01 pm

@Mohammad, while am with you on the ridiculousness of the woman’s claim and the wrongness of her actions, i am upset you would compare her preaching to patients in a hospital to the barbarism that has been displayed by ISIS and Boko Haram. Please do not make light of the evil these sects perpetuate on a daily basis.

• Mohammad

December 11, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Read again what I was responding to in that conversation. If you don’t see anything g wrong with the by-force-by-fire brigade, then you’re a hypocrite.

• The Real Oma

December 11, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Right. I also responded to the fire by thunder comment.
      It doesn’t justify your ludicrous comparison.

• Truth is bitter

December 12, 2016 at 12:07 am

The real Oma it seems ridiculous to you because you don’t realize that every extreme behavior starts like this…random people with spiritual arrogance and a sense of entitlement and superiority over others. We make light of the situation until we wake up one day and things are out of control.

7. olubee

December 11, 2016 at 6:52 pm

There is no compulsion in religion. She should have left them alone when she noticed they weren’t interested rather than trying to convince them. It just doesn’t work for everyone.

• Shakara

December 12, 2016 at 10:32 pm

What ya’ll refuse to understand is the BRITISH prototype. I’ve lived and worked here for 13 years. They agree on one thing with you and next minute they act like you never discussed anything with them and they’re hearing it for the first time. I’ve warned my boys. NO hanky panky with these little brats. I have seen these people finish and I steer clear of them for the most part. I stick with my fellow Naijas and go solo when I can find no one to do stuff with abeg.

Too many Nigerian kids have allowed British kids ruin their lives. One Undergrad whose parents I know, went to club with these kids, hooked up with a girl, she was all over him, next thing she’s crying Rape!! Abeg. I no fit.

8. Paulinus

December 11, 2016 at 6:59 pm

i don’t think breaking the rules of your work place is Christian. You sign a contract to abide by the rules and policies. And then you go and breech it in Christ name. That’s taking the lords name in Vain. Christianity is a verb a doing word. There are a multitude of ways to live your truth as a Christian in the work place without breaking rules. Get to work on time, be non judgmental, take your allocated break allowance and noting more, do not call in sick when you are not, offer to take extra shifts when it is needed, reframe from work place gossip, Smile and be happy, draw people near you – that’s living as a Christian. If you find that your work place is conflicting with your Christian values then turn whistle blower or resign.

9. Me

December 11, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Is not not amusing to note that the same westerners aka Oyibo, that came to Africa as missionaries to convert us to Christians are they ones now rejecting their OWN dogma in the work place. Just remembered, pharmaceuticals is VERY BIG business in the UK,

Sister Sarah Kuteh should have known better, she should have done so discretely with the patients consent.

• Waiting

December 12, 2016 at 8:23 am

They aren’t the same westerners. Most of them can’t relate to their ancestors at all. It’s like saying you are the same a your parents or your former presidents

10. Ariyike

December 11, 2016 at 7:17 pm

@mohammed agreed she went too far by disobeying her employer’s warnings because the Bible teaches us to respect authority. But comparing her actions to isis,boko haram and co. Is preposterous. Innocent people are being murdered every single day just because they are not Muslims. Saying ” ask Jesus to give you your next job” is you going out of line, because if prophet Mohammed is spoken about in a disrespectful manner, it becomes a war.

• A Real Nigerian

December 11, 2016 at 7:32 pm

“Saying ” ask Jesus to give you your next job” is you going out of line”
      Yet, asking Jesus for a car, a visa, or more recently, a couple asking Jesus specifically for male children isn’t going out of line?

• Mohammad

December 11, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Ariyike. Stop being such a whiny, butthurt and quick-to-cry-victim Christian! Firstly, despite my name on here, I am atheist. So I would say the same of Mohammad, Obatala, Amadioha, Olokun etc. Comme des fuckdown!
      I don’t care if you were offended my my sarcasm in telling her to ask Jesus for her next job or not. The nurse seemed to be focussing on doing a job different from what she was paid to do, so maybe that’s what she really needs to face: evangelism. Leave the rest of us alone!

• Hahahahaaa

December 12, 2016 at 10:34 pm

A real Nigerian and Mohammed… A match made in HELL…

11. Zena

December 11, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Hahaha she’s just like Mary Kay reps they will hound you tire

12. GENERAL

December 11, 2016 at 7:25 pm

my advice to Kuteh is that don’t bother sue but put your total trust in Jesus whom u believe in to provide a better job for u. your blackmailers will soon need your JESUS

• nene

December 11, 2016 at 11:04 pm

lol

13. Bimbo

December 11, 2016 at 7:35 pm

I’m so happy she was sacked ! Carrying the nonsense that has destroyed our medical institution to a country that has worked hard to preserve standards in theirs.
    Nigerian pastors run to UK hospitals for a cough ? Same hospitals that don’t allow jesus in any context yet would be lying and healing dumb folks in nigeria.

• Jen

December 11, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Do you ever make sense? You say so much crap, it’s annoying. To think your name is Bimbo; many people I know who bear that name have sense.

• Hahahahaaa

December 12, 2016 at 10:37 pm

You mean Bimbo as in A-BIMBO-la or Bimbo as in ‘an attractive but unintelligent or frivolous young woman’?

I personally think its the latter…

HeeeYYY BiMbo!!!

14. Ariyike

December 11, 2016 at 7:40 pm

@real Nigerian, out of line because Mohammed’s ask Jesus for your next job is sarcasm. And am trying to point out that everyone’s religious beliefs should be respected because I know how Muslims react violently if the case is reverse.

15. Moniker

December 11, 2016 at 8:09 pm

@Mohammad. That’s why you are what you are: senseless moron. The West is digging its own grave for giving Islam the leverage it has and is using against it. What the nurse did is obviously wrong but dragging Jesus in makes you the hediot you are. If God Truly sent the Nurse, she’d be fine. Her testimonies are coming

• Waiting

December 12, 2016 at 8:28 am

You know, you could have argued your point without muddling it with insults. Insults only dilute the message and we need to start campaignin for an insult – free 2017

16. Jane(the real Jane)

December 11, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Carrying the cross of Christianity has consequences. But one thing I know. A true Christian always feels compelled to talk about Jesus. Some will accept some won’t. After all not everyone in Jesus time believed. But still he preached and died for the gospel.

• Anon

December 11, 2016 at 9:08 pm

That’s not the point. Even the disciples that were sent by Jesus himself in the Great Commissionwere instructed to dust off their sandals and leave a place where they weren’t wanted. You ask someone’s permission before you preach your faith, and if the person refuses, then you stop. I don’t blame people for rejecting Christian preachers, because rather than preach of God’s redemptive word and love all they do is tell you that your lifestyle, tattoo, secular music, unmissionary sex position etc will send them to hell, further condemning the person and making them feel irredeemable

17. Concerned non-religionist

December 11, 2016 at 9:16 pm

@ Mohammed,
    comparing what she has done to ISIS and Boko Horam is just plain EVIL. How does this even compare at all. You make light of the pure EVIL perpetrated by your religion in the name of your God and compare it to a woman sharing her faith unnecessarily at her workplace. Beheading, burnings, kidnapping, raping, selling human being s as slaves just because they do not belong to your religion.
    You are the foolish one here. You are the unenlightened one. And yes her ‘JESUS’ will get her a better job and she’ll win the case.
    Truth be told, Islam is a very intolerant religion. I just pity the UK. Soon your women will be forced to wear hijab against their will at the rate you are going.

18. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

December 11, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Its unfortunate what happened to this lady. If someone does not want to be preached to except where God is leading you to continue the discussion, leave them. At time all you need to tell someone is Jesus love you and he would take it from there. Christians need to know that they do not have the power to convict anyone. the Holy Spirit will. Just preach the message pray and leave it to God.

19. john doe

December 11, 2016 at 9:56 pm

“how could it be harmful to tell someone about jesus”, shows shes naive to think everyone wanrs to hear about her religious views….stop bringing ur personal beliefs to work place, Just Do ur job madam

20. Mummybubu

December 11, 2016 at 10:26 pm

This name, this life, has sent chills down the spine of people for as long as it’s existence. In life he was resisted, in his arrest, ridiculed and in death, his name and memory has suffered uncountable efforts of suppression, falsification, ridicule and all you could think of. First it was from his very own brothers, then from different powers that be from time to time. Killing Jesus’ followers and burning of scriptures then co-opting part of the scriptures, mixing it with personal believes and making Jesus’ followers either accept following Jesus their style or face full wrath of the then authorities which most times was paying the ultimate price. Then outright falsification of the scriptures and limiting access to the originals of the common followers decieving a good number of people and covering their wickedness in the name of Jesus. The deadliest of blows is the emergence of false Jesuses, quasi christianity, other sects proclaiming Jesus and teaching the exact opposites of his life deceiving the very Jesus’ followers by the very same name they love. The most recent is keep your Jesus to yourself, don’t talk about it except when you are in church. In the work place forget your life as a Jesus follower. As if you can really keep quiet about your life. We are free to talk about being gay, having multiple sex partners. We are free to give our opinions when Toke leaves Maje and Teebilz cheats on tiwa during the work period but don’t just talk about Jesus. Even the slightest mention of him is offensive and you are given all sorts of criticism. So in place of physical abuse as use to be the case, its now emotional and psychological abuse. The devil wants to make Jesus’ followers feel wrong and out of place for following him. It is okay. As for those reading this who have truly encountered this life in Jesus, don’t be cowered. This too will soon pass as did other antics of the devil to stop the church. Stay strong, the gates of hell shall not prevail. Victory for Christ! Victory for his Church.

• papamadu

December 11, 2016 at 11:01 pm

I feel that your attitude, the way you compose and conduct yourself should proclaim christ. Not words. Let your actions compel people to the ways of christ. I find these daz people preach and preach RELIGION. It makes no sense. Christ lead by example. People saw him and his ways and were compelled to follow his way. I honestly feel people especially nigerians spend tooo much of their time in churvh and learn noting. Its like being able to recite the alphabet but unable to read or write. What is the use of knowing letter B follows letter C. If this woman was christ like and following his teaching she should have worked and provided care inaccordance to her nursing body. After all it is written give onto caesar what belongs to caesar ….

• Jide

December 11, 2016 at 11:15 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

December 12, 2016 at 12:16 am

If only all this passion for your faith could manifest in character, yet you see a place like Nigeria with so many churches being such a huge mess, where is Jesus in our society?

……all I have read is arrogant and bigoted comments from supposed Christians……and stereotyping Muslims and trying to silence Mohammed through shaming him ( because you assume he is Muslim) when he is not.
      Many Christians out there are aggressors and hypocrites and then they play the innocent victim card when people react to their imposing and disrespectful ways. Go and read Galatians 6:7.

• john doe

December 12, 2016 at 8:10 am

My friend, gbenu soun

• Lilian

December 12, 2016 at 11:19 am

Your comments show that u have no single respect for Christ The Saviour Of The World. Apostle Paul was like u and even worse but u know what? He finally accepted the King of kings and preached Christ more than other disciples. U too must run to Christ very soon and u will preach Christ even more than this blessed and victorious woman.

21. nene

December 11, 2016 at 11:04 pm

christians need to use wisdom in all they do. even the bible advises this. that’s how the woman was killed in the north for preaching, after the muslims had warned her to stop. if you want to be a martyr, that’s good for you.

• Darius

December 12, 2016 at 6:41 am

So muslims don’t preach in the North. They should preach, but we shouldn’t.

22. sibo

December 11, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Woman u recieve payment to do a job . Then u go do they one them no send u. That is not wisdom oh or christianity

23. chichi

December 11, 2016 at 11:56 pm

I Believe the real unjust comes from the fact she has been working for many years and she probably did the same for years too. Only difference is her new job which I assume is a higher graded position requires her to be more sympathetic and that is not deciding that the patients need Jesus. Unfortunately I’ve met these types of Christians who assume they are doing well and no harm but you have to understand their is a time for everything and a thin line between advising and simply annoying. I truly believe she didn’t know the implications of what she was doing but for the patients her words could imply they are at fault for getting themselves sick and no one deserves that kind of treatment. I hope for her sake that a new employer recognises the good work she has done and not the mistakes she has made.

24. ken

December 12, 2016 at 2:05 am

First of all, i don’t understand why any black person will claim to be a Christians. Same Religion that was uses to Enslave and control your ancestor to be a better Slave…..Black people are the most Religion people yet you the ones that suffer most that right there should tell you is false no Jesus christ is coming to save you until you start saving yourself……..One of the worst thing that ever happan to black people is to accept the same religion that was uses to kill, rape, eslave your accestor…..They fire her cos they dont even beleive in what they teach you i mean that Jesus you shouting that they gave you….So you think same people that dont want you on earth will want you in heaven or they will give you a book that will upleft you….When they constantly coming to Africa and inject you with deases in the name of Missionary….Ebola, Aids, so on…..Africa will never think hard………

25. Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

December 12, 2016 at 6:07 am

The subject of faith in the medical field is a delicate one. As a doctor I would never discuss my personal beliefs with a patient whether spiritual, sexual or otherwise.
    Most patients are already at their lowest point and it’s very easy to take advantage of this vulnerability to share one’s convictions with them, because they are looking for anything that would ease their plight.
    If the patient had asked her personally for her opinion on the subject that would have been justified.
    In certain institutions here in US you’re not allowed to discuss religion on the hospital premise, not even when asked.
    If a patient is in no position to listen to you, you have no right to push your ideas on them just because you think it’s right. Last time I checked everyone gets a choice in Christianity.

26. Okeoghene

December 12, 2016 at 8:48 am

This lady should rejoice!Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake!We are activists for the Gospel,not apologetics!What this shows is that the devil is actually scared of her and has taken note of her,because she is not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.Jesus told us that in the world,we WILL suffer trials and tribulations,but that we should be of good cheer,because,He has overcome the world.We are not moved by any of these,cos greater is He that is in us,than he that is in the world,and in all things,we are more than conquerors!

• bokun

December 12, 2016 at 11:59 am

Do u remember the passage inwhich satan tried to get Jesus to test His faith by asking him to throw himself down as God will send his angels to rescue him. Remember what christ response was to the devil. Thou shalt not tempt the lord. Apply it to this case. This is a WORK PLACE. She was employed and signed a contract to work in accordance to policy and guidelines. She must have read the contract before signing it and if she had a problem with it she should have said excuse me but i will preach my religion in the work place. Apparently she did not. Now she feels she can break rules in Christ name. My dear recognise Satan in the detail. Do not tempt t God. People need to be LIVING CHRISTIANS. God no send you to breech your contract. So lets not take the name in vain. Dishonesty is not christianity no matter how you try and paint it in fake christian/ religious values. She dont need to rejoice she needs to reflect on her actions and ask for forgiveness and wisdom

27. deedee

December 12, 2016 at 8:55 am

I thought this is about a Christian woman preaching about her faith at her workplace, so why the argument about Islam, what have Muslims done wrong now? She was warned but she continued with the preaching, so how does that equate to Muslims having it easy in UK. Naija people, una no go ever cease to amaze me, everything always turns to Christian vs Muslim debate….

28. Lilian

December 12, 2016 at 10:52 am

Christ gives peace, joy and happiness. So, we Christians preach Christ because we know that he loves u and he certainely will give u Joy. This can never be compared to isis and boko haram that destroy souls all in the name of islam. Don’t u ever compare .

29. Anon

December 12, 2016 at 12:15 pm

common sense entails a basic understanding of right and wrong. You don’t need religion to teach you right from wrong. It is worrying to see religious people not understanding the basic, bread and butter principle of right and wrong.

30. Tilda

December 12, 2016 at 12:51 pm

How can telling anyone about Jesus Christ be harmful to them?
    1. It’s not the place or time to be talking about faith. As you said the patients you deal with are at a vulnerable state and having an indept discussion on Christianity might open up old wounds, fears they don’t have the capacity to deal with at their present state. Leaving some of them worse off than when you met them
    2. As a nurse you understand the concept of holistic health. you are adding / supporting a clients achievement of holistic health. in order to add any value you have to have a complete understanding of your clients health history. You cannot add any value if you do not understand were they are coming from I.e their background, do they have mental health issues etc. If you try to add value other than what is expected of you at the point of contact which in this case was a routine questionnaire tick box, you could cause more harm than good. The health care system knows this hence you are suppose to follow guidelines and refer when it is outside your remitte.
    3.There is a pastoral service available in hospitals. As a nurse you should be aware of this service and sign post the client to it. That way you would have fulfilled your obligations as a caring nurse and a Christian.
    I am sure you have had time to reflect on your dismissal it’s unfortunate you still ask the question you asked at the close of your interview. There is no harm in preaching about Christ but there is a TIME and Place for it. In your attempt to win a soul for Christ you might have alienated the soul from Christ and you’ve also lost your livelihood. As a Christian I don’t know which would be more painful for you the fact that you might have caused harm or that you’ve lost your job. It’s really sad. I feel dismissal is quite a harsh step. Your trust may have sent you on study days, to enhance your understanding of guidelines and policy, why they exist to protect the client as well as your PIN number. But you also need to understand were you went wrong. And again its unfortunate that you can’t grasp it. Have faith were one door closes another opens. Goodluck and Godbless

31. Tee

December 13, 2016 at 4:39 pm

The problem I have with some Nigerian Christians is her last statement. How could telling someone about Jesus be harmful to anyone? That is not a decision for you to make. It is THEIR decision. Let them make it!!!

• nonye

December 13, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Thank you. Exactly. It not all about YOU. That in its self is un christlike!!!!!!!!!.

32. OA

December 13, 2016 at 10:26 pm

I think I get where everyone is coming from but the real issue is why was she fired? I am for preaching Jesus and I do it at every given opportunity, but would definitely not do it at work unless I got the vibe that a coworker, not an external customer wanted to hear it. I will analyze from the American perspective since I don’t know British law. It seems she works for the NHS (her uniform) and is therefore a government employee — that is substantially where the issue is, although even if she worked for private industry she would likely be subject to same if not worse. Private industry tends to be much stricter because they can pretty much do whatever they want and if you don’t like it too bad!

Freedom of expression is okay, but freedom of expression of religion is a different matter altogether; at least in the U.S. it is. There are two Clauses as regards religion: 1) Free exercise and 2) Establishment clauses. Free exercise permits the government to free you as in allow you to embrace your religion, then there is the establishment clause which prohibits the government from imposing religion on people. So in this case, we are dealing with both.

In the first instance, yes, to an extent, she should be allowed to freely exercise or practice her religion. Example: I work for the govt and a Moslem guy at my job (I heard) would wash his face, hands, “yansh”, etc. as part of his religious practice (not sure if this was so he could pray or after pooping (sorry, gross)), so some typical Yankee people complained and said it was gross, etc. since he was making a mess in the male bathroom. Case went to mediation and he won. Reason is: govt could not prevent him from performing certain rituals associated with his religion while at work. So if this Nurse wanted to sing/hum hymns, as she worked, wear scarf, not wear earring, refuse to wear sokoto, I doubt that would be a problem, or do any such thing as reasonable regarding her religion.

As per the Establishment clause, the real issue is she, as an NHS government worker, was violating the establishment clause by imposing religion especially on those who did not want to hear it. Another example: One day I answered my phone and was speaking to a govt beneficiary and was playing Pandora gospel on my phone. When I set the phone down to research something, I didn’t realize my earpiece was directly in the mouth of the phone, so when I picked up the phone, the client said, wow! that was some really good music. I had to start apologizing oh! He said “please don’t” and that he really needed to hear it at that time. I apologized because I understood the implications of what had just happened. If the guy had reacted differently and reported me to my oga kperen, I would be in serious trouble! Even at the end of the conversation with the client, I still said “joh ma binu!” Therein lies the problem. The nurse cannot be imposing religion on people period and particularly on those who nor even wan hear for that matter. If this had happened in the States, she would also be out of a job especially after being given several warnings.

Please I am of the school of thought that Jesus must be preached worldwide, and that ALL will be given the opportunity to give their lives to Christ.