Features

Uloma Ezirim: AY’s A Trip to Jamaica’s London Premiere – No Spoilers!

Uloma Ezirim

ay-liveDo you like Nigerian movies? Yes. Do you enjoy laughing? Yes. Do you enjoy movies with little or no cohesion? Maybe not? Ok let’s start from the beginning.

The premiere for this movie was held at the Odeon Cinema in Greenwich, one of the more popular multiplex’s in London. The cinema environs were clean and welcoming. Ticketing machines were easy to use, staff were really friendly, drinks and snacks were expensive but then this venue is a hot spot. On my arrival, I noted a smartly dressed AY on the red carpet with fans trying to catch a glimpse. Some other fans it appeared were patronising the several large chain restaurants outside the cinema. The event kicked off an hour late but the comfortable sitting arrangement in the screen room made up for it. AY had a good team around him and the entire arrangement was somewhat organised. The room was at 75% capacity – not bad considering it was a late night screening on a cold wintery night.

The good points
The trailers shown before the movie started gave a very good account of Nollywood. The crowd “oohed and ahhed” to all the beautiful headlines shown of ’76, Queen Amina, Okafor’s Law etc. These snippets put us in the right mood for A Trip to Jamaica.

The synergy and comic timing of AY and Funke Akindele is out of this world. Their acting appeared almost unrehearsed and spontaneous. Jokes were free flowing, laughter was plenty and so for this reason, I must recommend that you watch this movie.

Nse Ikpe Etim gives any movie, character and authenticity! Every movie needs an Nse! She just comes in and takes over. Her character portrayed eclectic emotions and she is good for it, whether strong or weak, classy or tacky, every scene of hers was a delight.

I’ve never been to Jamaica, but because of the multiple aerial shots of this movie, Jamaica is now on my bucket list.

The not so good points
Undeveloped story segments was a frequent feature of the plot. The camera shot quite a number of unexplained scenes. I will not delve further into this because of my “no spoiler alert”.

Post–production sound editing was not super. That perfect synchronisation was lacking. This resulted in the musical score of the movie sounding like it was coming from other room. We kept looking for where the music was coming from and then later realised it was the sound track of the same movie in front of us.

In summary, this is definitely a movie you want to watch so well done to AY. He did give a fantastic speech at the end and was a most pleasant host. Looking forward to his next outing.

I await your comments! Do have a brilliant Christmas and in your celebration spare some thought for baby Jesus in a manger.

Uloma is a School Administration Manager. Her mantra in life is Laughter, Love, Relationships = Happiness. Uloma is very passionate about all things Nigerian and this is reflected in her creative expression. Join our community on www.diasporachronicles.com.

1. Sally N

December 18, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Succinct and well written.

2. jose uddy kay

December 18, 2016 at 5:57 pm

nice one

• Uloma

December 20, 2016 at 11:22 am

Thank you for reading.

3. Yvee

December 18, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Great coverage of the premiere Uloma. I am now looking forward to watching ‘A trip to Jamaica’. I envisage a combination of AY and Funke Akindele will be truly hilarious.

4. trey

December 18, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Nice!

5. Seb

December 18, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Yeah I agree with uloma review, very funny movie but a few technical hitches yeah and there.

6. Mz Socially Awkward....

December 19, 2016 at 6:22 pm

“Wu”loma!! ???
    Super late on this, but you truly wrote this like your mother’s daughter. Was scrolling through and already went past when your name registered…. See quick reversing & reading it didn’t disappoint, this was a great review. ???? LOL @ “We kept looking for where the music was coming from and then later realised it was the sound track of the same movie in front of us.”

Kai, now you’re going to make me watch this movie which I wasn’t planning to after “30 days in Atlanta”. ? Okay oh… Na your mouth I dey follow.

& no vex oh but I must famz you oh…. Uloma’s mother was the English Literature teacher who made reading and the love of words come alive in my soul. I will never forget the influence Mrs. Nwosuagwu had on my secondary school education, God bless her richly for me. Teachers who love to imbibe knowledge in fledging minds are BAE!!❤️?? ?

• Uloma

December 20, 2016 at 11:20 am

thank you Mz Socially Awkward. I cannot thank you enough for the time you have taken to write this. Please watch the movie, you will laugh till your tummy hurts. AY is a comedy genius. However it had to be a balanced report. Please continue to read and comment. bless you.

7. Kayode

December 20, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Hi There, Any idea of showtimes or venues this will be showing in London?