News

Woman Delivers Rare Form of Conjoined Twins at Lagos Hospital

BellaNaija.com

baby-with-2-heads2A very rare form of conjoined twins were born at Med-In Specialist Hospital, Osogbo Street, Ogudu, Lagos on Tuesday at about 6.30PM, through an elective caesarean section.

The parents and medical personnel were expecting a set of twins as shown in the various scan results she had throughout her pregnancy.

According to a nurse: “This is the first time I am seeing anything like this. I have watched it in movies but seeing it in real life was such an experience for me. Thankfully, the surgeon ensured that they survived. As I speak to you, the mother doesn’t know the condition of the babies. She still believes and expects to carry her twins. We haven’t told her yet. Only her husband was brought into the theatre to see his children and he was the one who went with the doctors to Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).”

Speaking to The Nation, the hospital’s Manager Dare Moses said:

There is need to find out if they share major organs together. They may have to be flown abroad for separation if they have separate hearts and other vital organs. It is possible for them to survive. I have seen cases of twins like this in movie surviving and living normal lives.

Normally, when we have cases of pregnant woman expecting twins, we usually go for elective caesarean, which was what the mother opted for.

But when the doctor was trying to extract one of the babies (first one), it got stuck and when he examined further, he discovered that there were two heads in one body. We are happy that the baby was delivered alive and placed on oxygen. Both heads were alive.

It was really amazing. I am proud and thankful that we delivered the baby alive. Yes, several scans were done by the mother in the course of pregnancy at different places, but none discovered any abnormality. We are thankful that the operation was successful.

The condition, known as Parapagus, is a rare form of partial twinning where there are two heads and two necks side by side on one torso.

Parapagus represents about 11% of all conjoined twins.

The Ministry of Health has been notified of the development.

Photo Credit: Solomon Adeola/The Nation

1. I love my husband

December 15, 2016 at 2:44 pm

OMG! I really hope the ministry of health will sponsor this surgery abroad and pray it will be successful. I have come to realise that when a woman gets pregnant and she delivers a baby safely, its a miracle and God should be praised cos really nobody knows what is happening inside that mamas tommy, forget scan…even though I thing a good scan should have picked this, but most of these hospitals in Lagos do not have top notch machines. Only a fool will say there is no God

• A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm

???

• Olu

December 15, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Think deeply about what you just typed here. so God should be praised when the baby comes out healthy …so who should be praised when the baby doesn’t?
      ..and this has nothing to do with God’s existence … or not ..wrong timing for this kind of quote.

God will always be God, .regardless of an outcome. He should always be praised.

2. Baby gurl

December 15, 2016 at 2:50 pm

BN come on, don’t be illiterates. These are siamese twins. Even the hospital manager is saying “baby” too. Mscheew. This is literally one of the hardest types to separate as they are joined vertically from top to bottom. They share one torso. If successfully separated mahn they’ll have to be fitted with prosthetic limbs this is a difficult one o almost impossible but with God everything is possible if you just believe. I have them in my prayers.

• A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 3:04 pm

As in, the headline is just stupid.

• ANON

December 15, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Thank you! Even Linda wrote the same!! Not that i expect her to know better. Goshh Bella writers are now Mediocre

• Zee

December 15, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Thank you my dear!!! If this was written by a market woman,i wld hv ignored but coming from dem, it sounds soo insensitive!!

• Corolla

December 15, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Very dumb Sun Newspaper type of headline. Baby with two heads?! For pete sake, you guys are educated, and very well aware these are siamese twins. You are stooping to new lows these days, and it is disgusting! BN is heading for the gutters!

• Corolla

December 15, 2016 at 3:15 pm

“and are very well aware that”

• A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm

BN has always been in the gutters. Like someone here once aptly put: “BN is just LIB on lipstick”

• Mannie

December 15, 2016 at 3:21 pm

The babies are conjoined twins. They will be Siamese twins if they were twins from Siam (called Thailand today).

• A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Both terms are interchangeable, smarty pants.

• Moyzz

December 15, 2016 at 5:51 pm

My problem is just that they are all saying “as seen in movies”.

• tunmi

December 15, 2016 at 7:08 pm

My dear na dat one dey disturb me oh. Say you have seen it in medical texts, scholarly papers, heck say news sef. But movies. Seriously movies!!!!!!!

On another note, they have not told the mother but they are telling a news outlet????

• Nv

December 16, 2016 at 10:14 am

“like I see in the movies”

Jesos!!!! Which kyne??? So not medical journals, texbooks e.t.c but movies. MOVIES!!!

3. A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 3:03 pm

“Woman Delivers Baby with 2 Heads at Lagos Hospital”
    Utterly disgusting, insensitive, misinformed title.

4. funmi

December 15, 2016 at 3:05 pm

I pray our culture will not make the lives of this children a living hell.
    See video of other famous cojoined twins arounf the world.

youtube.com/watch?v=zrh_UEKJUyU

5. PEN

December 15, 2016 at 3:08 pm

It is well with these babies, mother and father in Jesus Name.

6. Iris

December 15, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Okay, this is ridiculous. I’d expect this from some low-brow newspaper based in a rural area rife with superstitions. This is NOT one baby with two heads and I’m sure you guys know it. What kind of ‘ignant’ sounding headline is this?

7. Jules

December 15, 2016 at 3:10 pm

BN seriously you people just like to fall someone’s hand- una ‘heading’ no try biko. Use the proper terminology abeg, and as for the hospital manager smh

8. I love my husband

December 15, 2016 at 3:15 pm

has anyone noticed A real Nigerian has stopped yabbing men..especially Nigerian men…who knows maybe she/he’s in love.. buhahhahaha…..just passing and looking for trouble.

• A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 3:26 pm

You are right. I’m having an affair with your husband.

• X

December 15, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Chai!

• Olori

December 15, 2016 at 4:24 pm

LMAO!!!!

• Corolla

December 15, 2016 at 4:51 pm

A Real Nigerian oooo. Lmaooo. Abeg no kill me with laugh.lol

9. Omoté

December 15, 2016 at 3:28 pm

BN!!! When I saw this heading on Linda’s blog I was mad….seeing this here makes me even madder!!! Terribly insensitive and n uninformed heading! Kids avnt even come out of the hospital and they have been labelled. This is what happens when radiographers claim they are radiologists….our health care system is a f%&king nightmare!!! This should have been caught by a scan early on. I can’t imagine the mother’s state of mind when she gets told. As for the hospital allowing pictures to be taken n circulated, I hope you get sued! This rubbish has to stop! People take unauthorized pictures n start to circulate them….I’m so angry right now.

• EGO

December 15, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Omote the shade on Radiographers is clearly a very careless, classless and ignorant thing to write. I am a Radiographer, a very proud one at that and I don’t claim to be anything or anyone else.
      About two weeks ago, a Radiographer (my humble, Nigerian-trained self with less than five years work experience) picked an inflamed appendix on Abdominal Ultrasound but a Radiologist (trained abroad on scholarship by the government, armed with a thousand light-years of experience and works for one of the biggest government-owned hospitals in Nigeria) scanned same patient and diagnosed that something was acutely wrong with the patient’s right kidney as a result of dehydration. A week later, this patient came back to Radiology for follow-up scans POST-OP. Because?! “Radiologist” could not see an inflamed appendix that Radiographer saw, Consultant Family Physician claimed there were no clinical signs of Appendicitis, yet all the signs and symptoms that were glaringly there persisted and an appendectomy was eventually performed – highly inflamed appendix excised and the poor patient set spared from misery.
      Radiographers and Radiologists alike can be highly smart, professional and pretty awesome at their jobs. Likewise, individuals from these two professions can be pretty dumb and not good at their jobs. DO NOT vilify Radiographers especially when this article did not state which professional scanned and saw what so this should not become a case of “Radiographer claiming to be radiologist” as you have maliciously tagged it.

That said; the need for proper, continuous training and retraining, personal and professional development CANNOT BE OVEREMPHASIZED. We (medical and healthcare practitioners) all need to be on our toes and practice this medical/health care to the best capacity that we can in this country with 14TH century healthcare system.
      MDCN and RRBN, your jobs are not to collect licensing fees each year then sit on your clueless behinds doing nothing. Go out there, regulate your professions appropriately and weed out quacks! For Pete’s sakes, human lives matter!

I personally i’m tired of the cave-man practice in Nigeria. I would jump on an opportunity to go abroad and practice where health care and every other facet of life and expertise is on 21st-century/futuristic standards. Like, they’ve moved on to 3D print human organs and perform corrective fetal surgeries out there in the sane world while in disorganized Nigeria, fetal abnormalities that can be diagnosed on imaging studies are going unnoticed. I am just tired!!! This is beyond sad.

10. Icrossmyheart

December 15, 2016 at 3:29 pm

BN it seems you guys are ignoring the pleas of your readers. I have been with you since inception and I have not read as much complaints about editing as I have in the past three months on your blog.

Top commenters are no longer commenting. Existing commenters are complaining. Try to improve. Why not have either an English class or how to be a better journalist session for your writers. That way you are investing in human capital.

Do better. BN tries to embody class and elitism. So much is expected. Had it been Linda Ikeji’s or Stella’s blog, it will not have been a problem.

Do better.

• A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Lol.
      BN want the traffic and we are giving it to them. I mean this thread already has 17+ comments and counting in under an hour. The title might be misinforming, but it is inviting. It’s called journalism these days.

11. Ade

December 15, 2016 at 3:41 pm

@ ILMH You are really looking for trouble, laughsssss.

12. Flexe

December 15, 2016 at 4:09 pm

They’re talking about separating, are they conscious of the fact that there are only two hands and legs present?!!
    I wonder what the next plan for baby1 and 2 will be.

13. anon

December 15, 2016 at 4:15 pm

OMG!!!!!The manager of a hospital referenced his knowledge source from MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!. Not from any authentic scientific source. I just tire for Nigeria. I can say fire him already because theyll just replace him with another native doctor

14. Tt

December 15, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I’m so upset and disappointed right now
    How could scan not see these? i thought scans were done monthly for multiples ni?
    So hospital could advise for “elective CS” but couldnt see the cojoined twins?
    How could this happen?
    So Naija state of health don reach this decay even in a private hospital?
    This is soooooo unacceptable
    Honestlyyyyy

(And the babies are so fine facially)
    smh

15. Jo

December 15, 2016 at 4:40 pm

BN this title is wrong. This is obviously a case of conjoined twins. I remember reading an article in a Nigerian daily in the early 2000s about a women giving birth to a baby with 2 heads and i shuddered at that reporting. BN you are obviously no different. Even if one of the babies is dead, they still remain twins. Correct this headline.

16. Deb

December 15, 2016 at 4:58 pm

This separation might be a bit hard because they have just two legs and one body. Whatever the outcome is I pray GOD comforts the family.

17. Midasnaturals

December 15, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Conjoined twins…not a baby with two heads. Sad to see the photos of the babies being circulated too, especially when its still so fresh. Are there no privacy policies in Nigeria?

18. Lala

December 15, 2016 at 5:30 pm

There are early pregnancy scans carried out early in pregnancies and these things can be detected. Why go ahead with the pregnancy knowing you have no access to free comprehensive health care for this sort of expensive and complicated surgery?

I may sound insensitive but, when I had my anomaly scans and then tests for Downes syndrome, l made up my mind that if the baby had downes syndrome, we would let it go because the hardship for the child in life when I am gone is just not worth it.

Are these scans not done in Nigeria?

• Lala

December 15, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Apologies, scans were done but none picked up the anomalies. You can’t even sue the places where the scans were done because they are mostly labs with out of date equipments and unqualified professionals.

When the owners of such ‘labs’ with dead machines make small money, instead of re-investing some cash back into the business, they go buy a new Range Rover. A country without regulations!

A people who won’t stand up for themselves are not worth fighting for, sorry!

• See

December 16, 2016 at 6:10 am

Actually she’s referring to a very detailed type of foetal ultrasound scan that examines the heart, brain, spine, limbs etc etc for fine details, markers for anomalies and obvious defects. This is called an anomaly scan and is quite different from routine foetal scans. It is usually done by highly trained medical professionals who are certified to do anomaly scans.

We have anomaly scans done in Nigeria but not as a routine. It is highly unlikely that she did one though.

19. Marian

December 15, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Really though?? I refuse to believe we don’t have some kinda privacy law in Nigeria to prevent things like this. That nurse can open mouth to say ” we haven’t told her yet” as in really? And you are doing interview??
    The minister of health is no better. Unless we have a new one now i still remember how he referred to an anencephalic baby as frog baby.

• tunmi

December 15, 2016 at 7:09 pm

It was disturbing to read. You told her husband and the next step na news outlet. Tell the woman. She is not that insignificant

20. Letty

December 15, 2016 at 7:31 pm

It is one thing for linda to say this she is all about sensation and pedestrian ignorant tacky gossip. But bn i see u guys try to clean things up..so be more sensitive and educated about your headlines.

21. Loki

December 15, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Sitting here and laughing my butt off at the comments about BN’s dwindling standards. Seriously guys, if there have been this sort of complaints for the past half year and BN has done NOTHING to remedy it, doesn’t it tell you that they don’t care? It’s the “Nigerian Factor”- start great, but have ZERO maintenance culture or standards to live by. They’ve established their brand. They see absolutely no reason why they have to keep working at it.
    From the gbagauns, to the poor journalism, to the non existent editing, to the ubiquitous presence of Esther Orhoro frustrating everybody, it’s obvious-Bella Naija no longer gives two spoons about maintaining its elitist facade. Linda Ikeji caters to the plebs and takes home the cheddar with which she can fight the general public on whether her Birkin is real or as fake the British accents on Lagos radio these days. BN is tired of being the classy gentleman who owns a castle but can’t afford the lights. If you can’t take it anymore, you might wanna start your own blog. But please do us a favour- hire an editor who understands the word “sustainability”. BN has obviously fired theirs.

• A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 8:44 pm

“From the gbagauns, to the poor journalism, to the non existent editing, to the ubiquitous presence of Esther Orhoro frustrating everybody,”
      ??????

22. Candy

December 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

They cannot be separated. They share limbs and organs. They should be left the way they are. Beautiful babies.

23. Bowl

December 15, 2016 at 8:27 pm

The two head caption was catchy?I don’t think they used it because they don’t know of the word conjoined or siamese.Una oversabi for this blog go kill me!

24. A Real Nigerian

December 15, 2016 at 8:48 pm

So BN finally changed the title after 6 hours.
    Efficiency.

25. LemmeRant

December 15, 2016 at 8:53 pm

This is probably the most painful thing I’ve read this year.
    I can’t even bother myself with BN editors right now, I no get their time.

God be with the parents and the twins.

26. mouth mouth

December 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm

THIS CHILDREN DOES NOT COME FROM GOD. THE PARENTS KNOW WHERE THEY WENT. IF YOU KNOW THE BIBLE YOU WOULD KNOW THIS BABIES ARE NOT FROM GOD

• Loki

December 15, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Imbecile!

• anon

December 15, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Yes o because every one has baba to lookup there stars. Superstitious idiot!

• See

December 16, 2016 at 6:14 am

Wow. I’m dazed and confused.

27. Adeola

December 16, 2016 at 12:58 am

“As I speak to you, the mother doesn’t know the condition of the babies. She still believes and expects to carry her twins. We haven’t told her yet.” Knowing this part of the story and still posting it is wrong on so many levels. You really shouldn’t post something like this when the family hasn’t approved. Please take the story off your website

28. Chika

December 16, 2016 at 12:59 am

It’s really tragic. But there is a case in America were these sort of twins have grown up into adulthood and have actually got different professions believe it or not. Abbey and Brittany had a reality show sometime ago. They are conjoined twins b cause although outwardly they share limbs and genitalia they have separate internal organs so 2 hearts 2 lungs etc.. In this case Its only test that can reveal if they are conjoined or if it is a baby with two heads. So Bella which level? I don’t understand why the hue and cry over the two headed report, because as it is we wouldn’t know for definite until the baby has undergone test. International press and medical journals have reported similar babies as having two heads.. Y’all need to take a chill pill with your misplaced touchy feely sensitivities . And bella Y’all need to have a dedicated research team so that you are confident in your reporting and don’t get bullied by sabimus people (dem plenty for that part of the African continent).Also y’all need to moderate your comments. You don’t need to publish every comment because y’all looking for traffic.

• A Real Nigerian

December 16, 2016 at 2:47 am

What are you saying?

• Chika

December 16, 2016 at 5:52 am

Are you trying to be doubly ironic or superficially clever. Reading your comments I can see you enjoy being an ass, senselessly screwing over other people’s right to an opinion. You are obviously a by product of the contradictory parallel universe call Nigeria, no need to state the obvious by naming yourself thus. So in answer to my first question, You are obviously the latter and therefore a dumb ass Nigerian who thinks otherwise ( thankfully a dying breed). I can sense that you have just acquired this internet touchy feeling sensitivities and Need to practice how to use it. How about internalising It first, getting it right and commenting with some sensitivity.

• Loki

December 16, 2016 at 7:30 am

@Chika, they do have to make money though, don’t they? Consider that before you ask them not to publish unsavoury comments “just cos they’re looking for traffic”.
      You see this “A Real Nigerian”? She might not be to yours or many others’ tastes, but no one can deny she is a dedicated reader of BN. Isnt that what businesses want? Dedicated clients? BN is a business. Imagine if everyone read and walked by. Roughly 75% of the comments on this post criticised BN for the way it was couched. Imagine if the so-called “Sabinuses” just read and walked past. Maybe there’d be at best 5-10 comments on this piece. Imagine if they did that to every post. You don’t knock down “dedicated” customers just cos you don’t like what they have to say. That is a sentiment that does not keep a blog business running. Check out comments on Yahoo or Popsugar or any other large news website. These ones here are pretty tame. BN understands that, so yeah, they’ll keep publishing comments because they are expanding.
      As for the twins, yes, there have been cases where it appears a baby has two heads but in EVERY case it is still a case of conjoined twins. Some are just so severe that one can be considered parasitic. But if there are two brains, there are two babies. The complaints are because in a place like Nigeria, saying “baby born with two heads” gives the impression of a more “spiritual” than medical situation. Just look at the retard above saying the kids arent from God. That’s the problem.

• Chika

December 16, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Soooooo it’s alright to advise a blog on how to editorize and critique the “common pleb” that traffic Linda blog but it’s not okay for me to have my 5 cent loooool. U think ur shit don’t smell. So bella blog is elitist well that’s news to me .This ANIT New York Times or TED talk Twitter reel this here is pleb city baby so don’t go getting superior telling people bout their opinion because your opinion is not worth more than any other on here – you ANIT getting paid for them. please drive on your lane Don’t break down on mine.

• Loki

December 16, 2016 at 5:03 pm

What’s ANIT? Is that short for Anita or is your fuse blown?

• Zen

December 16, 2016 at 11:36 am

I agree with you to some extant chicks it is a Clear case of /təˈmeɪtəʊ/ – /təˈmɑːtəʊ/ and /pəˈteɪtəʊ/ – /pəˈtɑːtəʊ/. Which ever way you say it it’s the same thing. Yeah international press have used the term two headed baby before and it’s even in the lancet medical journal but as alway we Nigerians are blighted by our superstitious ways that the use of certain terms can invoke full scale witchy tinz panick mode, so spare a thought to those sensitivities. Bella did hence they changed the caption. I feel the main concern here is the fact that the mother of the baby hasn’t consented to this publicity.

29. See

December 16, 2016 at 5:49 am

“As I speak to you, the mother does’nt know the condition of the babies”

Madam nurse giving press state, there is something terribly wrong and unethical about what you did.

• See

December 16, 2016 at 5:49 am

*statement

30. jhennique

December 16, 2016 at 11:29 am

How will these babies survive na 🙁