News

Eddie Long Passed Away this Morning at 63 years old to Cancer

BellaNaija.com

Bishop Eddie Long passed away early this Sunday morning after “a gallant fight with an aggressive form of cancer.” his church, New Birth Missionary Baptist Church confirmed.

His daughter Taylor posted tributes to him on Instagram, with a tattoo she has of his name on her neck and a photo they took together, saying he was a great father and husband who “kicked cancer’s ass”.

***

“tatted on me but this sh.t is deeper than the surface ❤️ (this tattoo is 5 years old & this picture was posted before my dad passed away)”

“I love you Dad. Thank you for being perfect. I cherish every moment i’ve shared w/ you even up to your last breath. I don’t blame God for wanting you back, i would too. everything i do is for you, it’s been my honor to be your daughter. thank you for being the greatest example of a wonderful father & husband. You kicked cancers ass! Job Well Done my angel.❤️”

1. marya

January 15, 2017 at 7:01 pm

I hope he really he made peace with his demons and were really sorry for abusing these young mens. Their lives have been shattered as the result of the sexual abuse and the denial.
    No financial compensation can heal the scars. I sincerely hope that he is in a better place and that he was remorseful before his departure.
    Karma dealt with him the hard way. Was it anal cancer?
    May you be forgiven for your sins and RIP!

• Mama

January 15, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Like your own sin is smaller than this???? If you die tonight where are you going? Can we stop being judgmental plzzzz! It happened in his past move on. Let God be his judge, you figure your own sin out, cos last I cheack I lie that I didn’t hear my phone ring and a man sleeps with another man na the same level of sin and same hell fire…

• Ode Mama

January 15, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Typical Christian angel. When you speak the truth, they say you judge. Experts in illogical and irrational reason. Dey go jor!

• abby

January 15, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Nobody is saying they’re without sin. However, he molested 5 young boys, abused his authority, changed their destiny and settled with them for millions of dollars. But you will carry NEPA/PHCN wire for head because someone mentions his atrocities… why not volunteer to be his official praise singer at his funeral. SMH.
      Where’s your compassion for his victims if you fail to acknowledge that the abuse took place? If you have nothing concrete to contribute, don’t come here and abuse sensible people.

• Mama

January 16, 2017 at 4:50 am

Disclaimer: Just putting it out there, this is not me o!

• Sean

January 16, 2017 at 10:05 am

God forgives and forgets……but we humans, keep records of other people’s wrong and continue to judge them even in death.

No one knows when our own time will come

2. seriously

January 15, 2017 at 7:12 pm

I knew he wasn’t going to make it, he looked extremely ill. I hope he asked for forgiveness from God for those he hurt, for preaching false gospel at times and using his position to mislead his congregation. I pray the young men who were molested/sexually abused by him have their full healing and restoration.
    R.I.P Eddie Long.

• Author Unknown

January 15, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Amen, and may God forgive us all of our sins. I remember concluding during his scandal that those guys were as much predators as he was. That’s not to condone his actions either.

• abby

January 16, 2017 at 2:20 am

You conclude that the teenage boys groomed for years and then molested by their trusted pastor are predators. Maybe you need to read what you just typed. And if it happens by chance that your relative gets molested, we shall ask you to judge them as harshly, unfairly and irrationally as you judged these victims.
      Unless maybe I missed something here and misread your comment. If so, may you or yours never be a victim of abuse. Gob bless!

• Idomagirl

January 16, 2017 at 2:22 am

They were kids when he preyed on them, how were they ‘as much predators’ as he was?

• Author Unknown

January 16, 2017 at 7:21 am

@abby @idomagirl. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not absolving Eddie Long of any blame. If I remember well, while he knew the guys at a younger age, any alleged sexual relations started after they had reached the age of consent. I believe that was why he wasn’t charged or anything. Does it make it right because there was no criminal wrong committed? Of course not. My issue with the guys, age aside, was how they tried to profit from the scandal, even after a settlement had been reached. Tell me how they’re not also predators.

I pray neither mine nor yours will ever be victims of sexual abuse, but should it happen, money will not be what we will be chasing down.

• abby

January 16, 2017 at 3:11 pm

@Author unknown. He groomed them for years. Grooming means he conditioned them to accept his abuse as love/affection and as normal. He short circuited their development and they cannot be normal ever again. When they matured enough to know what he did was wrong, they and their families tried to make him pay. That’s how things work in America o. There is always a price to pay for wrongdoing. Even if the boys didn’t want to collect the money, their families and lawyers will. Even if they didn’t need the money, it’s a small punitive measure for the pedophile down low letch who was a strong anti LGBT charlatan who called himself a pastor.
      He may have found God’s forgiveness, but it doesn’t change the fact that he committed a terrible crime with permanent consequences in the lives of the boys whose only crime was coming to his church and trusting him as a man of God. My prayer is not for him, but for his victims. I leave him to God.

3. Akin

January 15, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Hmmmm, I pray the Lord receives his soul..i used to like him a lot but one one day he was lifted up in his church by 4 men..the invited pastor said God was taken him to another level..u know how Pastor hype themselves ..when u are lifted up above the one that sent u…disgraced is inevitable. Nigerian Pastors with too much swag shud learn from him..rip eddie

4. Susie

January 15, 2017 at 8:05 pm

I wonder why he & his church lied about his cancer when people asked him why he had lost so much weight. He said it was due to being on a vegan diet. Now they’re saying he died of cancer & I don’t believe that too till I see the receipts. I will not speak evil of the dead but as a survivor of child sexual abuse, I was never his biggest fan when it was revealed that he molested those boys. Nevertheless, I wish him & his victims well.

• Anon

January 15, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Got this from his Wiki page –

“Long died on January 15, 2017, at age 63 from cancer. Some reports claim he died from an HIV infection.”

• Tee

January 15, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Wiki is user generated and I do not consider it a reliable source. Whatever it is, may the lord have mercy on his soul.

• Hmmmm

January 15, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Exactly. If he really had cancer they would have announced it earlier because that’s something everyone can relate to and non judgmental. But he came out and said, no more slave food he’s on a vegan diet.
      Then the backlash was intense, suddenly he has cancer.
      I won’t be surprised if he had both HIV and cancer.

5. Lee

January 15, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Good riddance

6. Uv

January 15, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Maybe he had HIV… HIV makes you susceptible to cancer- very aggressive ones. Hiv doesnt kill per se, it breaks you down and gives the weaklings leverage to shut ur system…. i wish him heavens best. Rest in peace

7. Keeping it Real

January 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm

He lived till 63. Bishop Idahosa had no scandal but died in his 50s, no explanation, no reasons..so no one has the right to judge except God.No one should judge. He made a mistake, but who hasn’t. Condemnation kills more than the sin itself. I am not condoning sin, but no one is holier than another.. He fell for temptation that came to destroy his ministry, sadly he passed. May his soul rest in peace…

• Anonymous

January 16, 2017 at 12:52 am

Please just STFU, how dare you call sexual abuse a mistake, if it happened to your brothers or any other male relative will you still be as callously dismissive as you have been, all you crazy bible thumpers always doing the most, keeping it real my a**

8. Afia

January 16, 2017 at 12:03 am

While I agree with you that judging someone is wrong, I believe there is nothing wrong in pointing out when something is wrong. Eddie Long molested several children- that cannot be described as a ‘mistake’. It was very intentional. Not just one child/ teenager, multiple! And he did all this while going on protest marches against gays. At least these gays were engaging in consensual relationships with adults not forcing themselves on kids like Eddie. When Eddie was caught, he did not even have the courage to admit what he did, he only paid off the accusers & continued to enjoy his ‘bishop role’. Never even took time off to think of what he did to those boys & how he ruined their lives. He should have gone to jail & the only reason he didn’t is because he was a powerful man. I too will not speak ill of the dead but tbh, all my sympathies at this time are with his victims who never got justice not him.

9. Anonymous

January 16, 2017 at 12:52 am

10. nene

January 16, 2017 at 3:15 am

this man was a pathological liar. he lied that it was his vegan diet that made him slim, and now he’s dead. probably AIDS with his DL self. good riddance. all these fake pastors, God is waiting for you, standing proud on the altar of God with so much sin.

11. Ida

January 16, 2017 at 7:59 pm

For all the people claiming we shouldn’t judge and we should forgive, I presume you don’t know the extent of his evil and malicious ways. This man not only abused boys he groomed within his of congregation…..he consciously and with clear mind traveled overseas multiple times to have sex with underage boys. So his actions weren’t mistakes; they were calculated and intentional. He was a pathological liar til the end! The Almighty taking out the rubbish. Preaching the wed of Gof while living in calculated, demoralizing sins