Career

#BeInspired Mondays: Just Start

IK Nwosu

Hey Guys! IK Nwosu here! This column, as the name goes is meant to inspire and encourage you to strive towards achieving your personal goals everyday. I just want to share pearls picked up in the journey of life. Read previous articles HERE.

Time and time again, what I’m about to talk about has proven to be true.

This same principle was applied into this article and as you can see, it worked. I had decided to write on dealing with Analysis Paralysis and the need to “just start” that project you’ve been thinking about, but I needed to arrange my thoughts to deliver the best work possible at this time.

I told myself to eat my own dog food – the one I’m planning to dish, and see it work like almost magic.

You need to start a Project Management course or learn that Art? Go ahead and ask about reputable organisations to get the training and start getting ready for your training.

Have an idea on an article you need to post on BellaNaija.com? Go ahead and put pen to paper! Or maybe you need to do some research and get some facts correctly? Do it!

Seen someone you like? Make the move! Approaching the individual may not be the move you start with, but make sure you’re doing something to get want you want.

Life does not give you want you wish for or think about. Heck! It doesn’t give you what you desire; it gives you what you demand – through work.

Often times we are stuck in Analysis Paralysis, trying to figure out and get all the details right and correct – waiting for the perfect time because something doesn’t yet fit. Bruh!

Ideas are a dime a dozen, and you just might be thinking through your idea only to discover that someone is solving a problem (read: making money) through half of what you’re still thinking about.

What you are starting with may not be visible, but it will put your mind in work mode. Remove those ideas from your head and put it on paper. Why task your brain with something pen and paper can solve?

Ideas are too numerous, you’ll forget the one that came to you before you left the office as soon as you get into Lagos traffic. (Then you begin to think of making flying mats like Aladdin’s).

Just start.

Have contributions/suggestions/questions? Let’s discuss in the comments section.

1. Bee

February 20, 2017 at 3:50 pm

IK Nwosu

March 3, 2017 at 12:05 am

2. @theimmigrantsjourney

February 21, 2017 at 6:27 am

So true… Like a wise friend once told me, start and u can always finetune along d way!

@theimmigrantsjourney

IK Nwosu

March 3, 2017 at 12:06 am

True words @theimmigrantsjourney

3. bimpe

February 21, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I’m working outside my course of study and i hate my Job. But the truth is i do not know what exactly i would rather be doing and it has been an uphill task getting myself to do any SWOT analysis to get me started. Please any ideas on how to begin?

IK Nwosu

March 3, 2017 at 12:43 am

Hi Bimpe! Thanks for reading. I know this is coming really late. Hopefully you get to read this.

Many people are or have at one point in time, been in your situation. Some are still there but don’t know.

So, my advice on how to begin:
      1. I know this sounds cliche, but it is actually true: Look for something (positive) you love doing and start doing it. It may or may not fetch you money (in the beginning), it will make you happy and fulfilled.

2. Another thing is to pick some of your pressing needs and start looking for ways to meet them. Because, if that is a problem to you, it is also for several others. This is how great businesses/causes start.

3. Test the waters, go out and learn new things. If it interests you, try it out. You just might find what you want to really FOCUS on in life.

Money is important. It will aid the three points above, and literally keep you alive. So make sure you have a source of income to meet your needs.

Why I’m saying this is because there may be the ‘temptation’ to quit your job, but always think it through, and have like a 6 month period where, even if you are not getting money, your savings can keep you going while you create or gain another source of income.

I personally think you can make the decision to love your job, and you’ll eventually do. If it’s something you CAN do, then you can love it.

I hope this helps, and that you read it too!