News

Instagram User Narrates how Lagos Police accused him of Being a “Yahoo Boy” because he had an iPhone

BellaNaija.com

An Instagram user Salami Azeez Abiodun (@graffitti06) has shared how he was harassed by police officers who believed he was a “Yahoo Boy” (Con man) because he had an iPhone.

Salami wrote:

Well, I have been interrogated on several occasions, stopped and searched practically but today I was forced to write a statement at a Police station. If the youths in this country can go through stuff like this in broad day light then we are not safe anymore in this country. Every policeman in Lagos have a keen interest about you once you are walking and you hold an IPhone. I don’t even carry a laptop but they just believe I am a Yahoo boy. Today I was persuaded to show them messages I send to my Magas. I couldn’t laugh. We need to do something about this harassment.

Photo Credit: Instagram – @graffitti06

1. Derin87

March 11, 2017 at 4:20 am

I can’t seem to get over the grammatical errors on BN… ‘ has share how’ , ‘who believed he is a’ .. two errors in one sentence, jeez

2. Dude

March 11, 2017 at 8:01 am

I have been stopped before by these so called Nigerian police men, they entered our car, collected my phone and my brothers’ and started going through text messages, checking account balance. They even went as far as reading my whatsapp messages, they said we were yahoo boys and we should give them 200k. One even saw Kim Kardashian’s picture on my phone and said that’s my maga in US. smh. They collected 10k from us before letting us leave

3. EC

March 11, 2017 at 10:53 am

When the police force allows some illiterate people who are hungry and choose not to use their brains.

4. tolu

March 11, 2017 at 11:28 am

They stopped me and went tru all ma vehicles papers. Everything was perfect. Called another police to check papers all ova again still ok. Then said im a street boi and ao long av i been on d street lol. He said lets go to station i said pls kets go. U know wot if u are clean dont be rude to dem especially at night. They can kill o. But stand on ur words sofar u know u are clean. They cant take u to station once they cant find anything negative on ur phone. They will only delay u. I refused to give dem money and they later stylishly apologised after lik an hour

5. flame

March 11, 2017 at 11:41 am

The situation is worse in Delta. Nigerian Police harass young boys all day, every day, everywhere in Warri and environs. I have fallen victim many times. My crime – being young, well dressed and possessing a smartphone! The actual tragedy is their motive is not to bring ‘yahoo boys’ to justice, rather to extort them for bribes even superior officers are part of the food chain. The numerous human rights violations by Law enforcement Ags leave me asking ‘Nigeria which way to go?’

6. sharon

March 11, 2017 at 12:27 pm

No policeman has the right to go through your phone. Ask them politely for a warrant and if they insist, tell them you want to go to the police station. I’m sick and tired of our police people walahi!! Just be careful at night cos they are the real criminals, ready to shoot. And what do you expect when you give animals weapons to hold. Smh

• EC

March 11, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Do the you know what a warrant is? When you ask them for it ‘politely’ na slap you go chop.

7. Stephanie

March 11, 2017 at 8:52 pm

I pulled over to the side of the road to make a phone call. Next thing a van pulls up in front of me and I’m surrounded by policemen. What are you doing here? What is your name? Where do you work??? TF?! Not knowing that whilst I was answering stupid questions, one of them was removing my license plates!! Front AND back o! I don’t care. I’d rather buy another one than give them kobo.