News

So Inspiring! Former NFL Player Myron Rolle to start his Neurosurgery Residency at Harvard Medical School

Photo Credit: Instagram – @MyronLRolle

Former American Football safety, Myron Rolle has been accepted into Harvard Medical School to start his Neurosurgery Residency.

The ex-Tennessee Titans player who  was also awarded a Rhodes Scholarship in 2008 has been a paragon of excellence both academically and athletically, maintaining a GPA of 4.0 while in high school, becoming the number one football recruit in 2006 and finishing college early. The 30-year old who also played for the Pittsburgh Steelers initially delayed going into the NFL draft to study medicine at the University of Oxford, where he earned a degree in medical anthropology. After being released by two teams after just two seasons in the NFL, Rolle decided that it was time to hang up his boots and go after his other dream of being a neurosurgeon.

He said:

I still received interest from a few teams, and it didn’t have to be over. Then I said to myself, “I can knock my head against the wall for 8-9 years or move on to medicine. I was leaving the game with no concussions and dexterity in both my hands, where I could be a neurosurgeon one day.

Now, 4 years after being enrolled into the Florida State University College of Medicine, Rolle’s dream has come to fruition as he has been matched to Harvard Medical School where he will start his Neurosurgery Residency Program on the 1st of July, 2017.

Visibly excited, he took to social media to announce the news:

What made the moment all the more special is that Rolle’s mother had the honor of reading his Match letter:

Congratulations, Myron!

1. keke driver

March 20, 2017 at 8:48 am

Husband Material 1000 yards

• funmilola

March 20, 2017 at 11:10 am

lol
      I never knew there was anything like husband material ooo, I thought it was only wife material

• Anne

March 20, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Beautiful. Proud of you. You are not stressing your parents by forcing them to deal with baby mama issues. Continue being focused, don’t act like some black Bros with records of domestic violence, don’t break hearts then you will be so unique and blessed. Keep up the good work bro . I feel you were raised in a Christian home.

• Amaka

March 20, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Beauty plus success is what women are looking for o. You will be surprised at the number of women that will be trying to get him to marry them now that they’ve read his story. The guy must be prayerful and alert. No be only men de look for wife material. If some women mention the number of qualities they want in a man, you will open your mouth for 24hours.

2. joy

March 20, 2017 at 8:56 am

Beauty and brains

3. Fabulous

March 20, 2017 at 10:37 am

Congratulations

4. Mr. Egghead

March 20, 2017 at 10:49 am

Sheer grit. Kudos

5. MadamYe...

March 20, 2017 at 10:52 am

Issa Husband…

6. Lol

March 20, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Wow, this is great! Big congrats to you Myron!

7. Obi

March 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm

This is what you get when you live and exist in a functioning society. A society where you can be part of a boy band at 22 performing at the O2 Arena and in a few years you’re closing huge hedge fund deals at JP Morgan after an elite MBA at Wharton or be chasing elephants for fun at the Kalahari in Bostwana and be accepted next two summers for a Residency program in neurosurgery at Harvard. A society where you can be an athlete and a doctor in one lifetime. Quite similar to the girl who contested for Nigeria at the recently concluded olympics in Rio. Chiejika or so. A rower and medical grad at Stanford/Harvard. This is what i want . This is what is expected of a functioning society. This is life. Congrats Doctor Hot Stuff. Me sef go be like you one day.

• Purplegirl

March 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Too the words out of my mouth!

• Ovadje

March 20, 2017 at 11:45 pm

@Obi, without prejudice what happened to those stuck in the ghettos (or filing for bankruptcy after blowing through their NFL, NBA or rap paychecks) in the same “better country”?!

No matter how “better” (or “bad”) a country is, the INDIVIDUAL is the primary determinant of his/her fate (perhaps apart from the Trust babies) – and of course it is the collective actions of INDIVIDUAL that make a country “better” (or “bad). Of course, this is not to minimize the utility of a good platform, but Nigeria provided a decent enough platforms to most of our parents (good schools, fee education, scholarships, student loans, bursary awards, etc) – and many of them ended up as the rapacious corrupt political elite, the sex-harassing and corrupt lecturers, while the smarter ones took the benefit of their (often free and/or subsidized) education abroad. Sorry, but if Nigerians want a “better” country, it will take the actions (by commission or omission) of EVERY Nigerian to achieve that.

8. adelegirl

March 20, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Truly inspirational. The Black community especially in America needs more positive role models such as Myron.

9. Kech

March 20, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Obi.
    That’s why I made sure I had my child abroad. It’s not about the “swag” or any of those peripheral things. It’s about securing his future. I want all these for my son. I want him to chase elephants in Botswana and after that, become a neurosurgeon if he so desires. I want him to be a football superstar and later become a lawyer if he so desires. I want him to be a statesman and years later, become a governor or president in Nigeria. It’s about giving them a chance. Giving them a future better that what I was given.
    I know this is subjective but to me, that’s even more important than buying land and building house for now. You don’t have children every time but you can build that house anytime.
    If you have the opportunity to do so, please have all your children abroad! Secure their future!

10. survivor

March 20, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Better country

11. Bowl

March 20, 2017 at 8:20 pm

The thing is what do you want out of life.Do you have the see(divine enabling).You will get there (even on sheer willpower alone ) however repressive the environment.. Life is very incapable of giving us what we don’t demand from it .