Scoop

The Best Student in Department of Paediatrics ’15 set from University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital allegedly paid 250 Naira as prize money 2 years later

Twitter user @Ty_Fregz yesterday shared a photo of the prize money received by the best graduating student in his Department of Paediatrics from the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital. The student who emerged the best graduating student from her class in 2o15 had to wait for 2 years to receive her prize money and got a rude shock to discover it was just 250 Naira.

See the tweets below:

Photo Credit: Twitter – @Ty_Fregz

1. Ify

March 31, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Wow. But nobody forced them to give her any gift na. What kind of insult is this???

• DatEnuguChic

March 31, 2017 at 3:57 pm

The problem is that some of these prizes have not been reviewed since may be the 80s or so and as such their value has lost its monetary value as money don lose value. These prizes should be reviewed regularly to meet the inflation and the real value of Naira

• mujer

April 1, 2017 at 4:04 am

And the best thieves get OFR, and other watchamacallit titles and recognition from the federal government plus oodles of cash to spend on spreading or acquiring AIDS and other deadly STD diseases.

2. Ebony

March 31, 2017 at 12:41 pm

This is shocking! It’s more about self fulfilment when one is a high achiever. Nowadays, it seldom equate to high paid jobs or a huge prize from the university.
    Maybe the school took out of the money.

3. Depends...

March 31, 2017 at 12:48 pm

I see how it might be important in the short term to show that hard work is useful in terms of monetary rewards but this is very myopic thinking. As someone who graduated as the best in several departments including pediatrics and multiple distinctions, I choose to present an alternative perspective. I got no monetary prizes, only certificates (at graduation, that is. I won other prizes with monetary rewards along the way). But that transcript opened the doors to two of the top ranked universities in the world, fulfilling work, a seat at the table with global leaders, and a 6-digit salary – yet I’m only just started. The reward for opening your mind and being diligent can be much bigger than some useless check for say 1 million. How’s global relevance for an alternative reward?

• Reqe

March 31, 2017 at 3:03 pm

I get your point. However, why announce a monetary reward, have the recipient wait 2 years and then come up with this? A whole association? They could have given her a book, certificate or even an internship. This does not show how seriously we take education

• Anonz

March 31, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Adanna Chukwuma is this u? lol

• Anonz

March 31, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Was referring to Depends…..

4. Me

March 31, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Joy Omubo! Peadiatrics association of nigeria did, this to you haba! Its not even up to a dollar.

5. Noms

March 31, 2017 at 1:19 pm

BN, from the tweet, you can clearly see that the person’s name is Tuoyo ooo but you chose to write Tuoye… Wehdone.
    …and the 250 is supposed to be for what exactly? The cost of the candles she bought through out her stay in school or the salt she used in cooking…. Mtshhheeeewwwwwww. The worst person in her set will see this and laugh sef

6. chychy

March 31, 2017 at 1:34 pm

This is heart breaking and not encouraging at all

7. Beeeeee

March 31, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Naaaa….something isn’t right. I don’t believe this. Something must have gone wrong somewhere. I doubt the association actually met and concluded to give the best student N250.
    Most things aren’t the way they should be in this country but we need to be more objective. This doesn’t make sense at all.

8. Cee

March 31, 2017 at 1:52 pm

It is sad that the monetary value for non intellectual achievements are so much higher. ?

9. Cynthia

March 31, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Me i’m just laughing because those babies, i know them. they live in the uk and I follow their mum on instagram @beckijo92. they are over a year old now and are so identical and too cute. I will send her this post.

10. lope

March 31, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Hahaha! Those prizes are only good on your CV. I won two university prizes when I graduated from OAU in 2000. I haven’t received the cheques/money till today::)

11. Victor Adegoke

March 31, 2017 at 2:20 pm

This is what happens in a Society that does not value intellectual abilities and achievements, but place value on other less important things.
    So Pathetic!.

12. Darius

March 31, 2017 at 2:28 pm

The same thing happened to me. I was the best graduating student in my set. I went to collect my award, but they won’t release it simply because I didn’t have my school ID Card. When I graduated, I thought my ID Card had outlived its usefulness so I burnt it. Besides, it had expired so I never thought I’d ever need to use it. I presented photocopies of my clearance form as proof that I’m indeed the recipient of the award. They said it wasn’t enough proof. My heart started to “totori” me. I thought the money involved was very huge and they were afraid to make mistake by awarding it to the wrong person. I had to go to Exam and Records to get my file and then I went to the Bursary to pay 1000 naira for a new ID Card. They made me go through a lot.

I even started to think about what I’ll do with the money ( money I was yet to collect lolzzzz). So, I obediently did everything I was instructed to do. After the hassle, I confidently went for my award having done the needful.

I was given a form to sign. I saw my name and the award was a hundred naira. “This must be a typograhpical error,” I thought. I signed the form, and I was given a certificate with a brown envelope. At first glance, I knew something was wrong; the envelope was too flat. I was expecting something heavy and bulgy. I started to think maybe it was a check.

I opened it! I almost had a heart attack. You know that moment when what you see beggars belief. That moment when you squander your money because you won a prestigious award and you are sure, without proof though, that you are getting nothing less than a hundred thousand.

My friends were at the bar waiting for me to come so that the celebration proper will begin. A few minutes later, one of them called to ask if they should start ordering. I hissed like a snake and hung up. The tin still dey pain me till date.

• Cocolette

March 31, 2017 at 3:05 pm

??????

• Ottawa Queen

March 31, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Hahahaha after paying N1k for the new ID card. You got not even close to that amount spent.

• NG

March 31, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!! I cant stop laughing o

• KitKat

March 31, 2017 at 8:59 pm

??????

• BijouxthisBijouxthat

April 1, 2017 at 11:37 am

I laughed at this soo hard at dawn I woke my baby up ??..
      Especially the part about hissing like a snake and hanging up..
      I feel your pain, really do ??

13. Ade

March 31, 2017 at 2:34 pm

The way I see it, he should take the money, buy garri and epa and pure water, drink it to refresh his soul cos guess what, his real reward is in the fruits he will reap from his labor

14. Tech Girl NG

March 31, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Now ain’t that something. Imagine going through all of that just to get 250 naira. na wa. *smh*

15. Sansarai

March 31, 2017 at 3:25 pm

I choose to believe that this is a premature April Fool’s joke. Walks away whistling calmly…

• Darius

March 31, 2017 at 3:35 pm

@Sanarai, this is not a joke. I wouldn’t have believed it if same thing hadn’t happened to me. I can swear with the last drop of my blood that this story isn’t fabricated. She is lucky she got 250 naira. I didn’t get that much.

16. Fifi

March 31, 2017 at 3:41 pm

I am shook

17. Jaykay zieuwa

March 31, 2017 at 3:50 pm

But d winner of BBN goes home wit d grand prize of 25 million naira. It’s om

18. Jaykay zieuwa

March 31, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Ok

19. kay

March 31, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I think these amounts were fixed from way back when it was almost a fortune,and hasn’t been reviewed. However, one shouldn’t be paid for graduating top, rather be given a good and enviable job, cos no amount of money will be appropriate.

• NG

March 31, 2017 at 6:30 pm

A beg when was N250 a fortune since we we started using Naira?

20. Enny Heart Heart

March 31, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Don’t mind them. If it was miss University it would’ve been a brand new Camry and tour of Dubai. Rubbish

21. survivor