Features

BN Confession Box: I Bribed My Father’s Lawyer to Change His Will…Now, I’m Homeless

Hi guys, BN Confession Box is a new feature on BellaNaija – curated by Nkem Ndem. The Confession Box is our virtual confessor’s box where BellaNaijarians can let loose and say their deepest and rawest fears.
These letters are from you, and we’ll ensure that your identity is protected. Everybody needs some form of outlet or the other.

***
Dear BN,
I was going through your blog and I saw you now have this confession column. I am not catholic and I don’t even go to church, but since it is a Sunday, I might as well make my own confession. It is nothing as dramatic as the last post I saw on this column, but then they say a problem shared is a problem half-solved. Right now, I am perplexed and feel so much regret. I just want to tell somebody. I feel like I have ruined my life with my own hands. There was no way I could have imagined things would be this way.

My father died 31st December, 2016. He had been sick for a while and had required multiple surgeries as well as treatment. He had some liver-related disease. As the first son, during the period of illness, I took over managing my father’s business and accounts. He was a business man and was rich even by international standards. I won’t deny that I may not have been the best for the job, seeing as I never did well in school; but my father, being an ungrateful perfectionist, frustrated me daily with his complaints on how I was running down his company.

He never for one minute thanked me for making the effort. He even hid some of his accounts from me. I knew they existed because the lawyer told me about them, but I did not have access to it. To be honest, in my heart of hearts, I wished my father dead, long before he finally died. Not that I did not love him. I did. I was just tired of being his ‘boy’. I also knew his death would make me, at 32, the owner of everything that he worked for. I wouldn’t have to struggle and anything for the rest of my life.

I was with him the night he died. Two of my half-siblings were at the hospital that day too. We had already spent a lot of money securing his visa and paying for him to be taken to India for treatment, but he died just a few days to the trip. All the money that money just went to waste.

After taking my father’s body to the mortuary and alerting the rest of the family, I called my mother immediately and told her that dad had passed. My own real mother had been divorced from my father and no longer lived with us, but with him dead and gone, I didn’t think it mattered anymore. The first thing my mother asked me to do was to secure my father’s room in the family house and comb it for all important documents. She also said that after doing that I should come meet her, we would go and see my father’s lawyer together.

Before we left for the lawyer’s place, my mother took us to her prayer house where her prophet prayed for us. Her plan was that we bribe the lawyer to make sure he did not read my father’s will to the rest of the family. She said God had revealed to her prophet that the will would not favor me in any way. The thought of not inheriting anything at all scared me, so I agreed. Of course, the lawyer received us well. My mother did most of the talking and we promised to pay him half a million Naira and give him free office space at one of my father’s complexes. He agreed and gave us a copy of the will. True to what my mother’s prophet said, my father had willed everything important to my step-mother’s children! Only the family house in the village was mine. The one in the city he said belonged to everyone and was never to be sold or rented. I was so upset with my father.

Two months after my father’s death, we had a successful burial. As expected, my uncle called a family meeting after the ceremony to discuss the way forward. My mother had already prepared me for this meeting. According to the prophet, my sibling would gang up on me and fight me for access to my father’s wealth. Our plan was that I would refuse to share anything with them and threaten them with police. To ensure that everything goes on as planned, I gave my mother every single document, from buildings to cars …everything! Unknown to me, this was where my downfall began.

My father had 6 children in total so I had 5 other siblings to contend with: 2 other boys and 3 girls from my step-mother. My two sisters were married so they really were just there to answer “present”. It was a very long meeting and I even fought (physically) with one of my half-brothers. At the end of the day, I shocked them with the threat that everything belonged to me and I had all the papers, so, if anyone ventured to try me, I would lock them up.

Of course, my brothers did not back down easily. Not only did they feel betrayed, since their mother also raised me after my father divorced my mother, they accused me of being greedy and washed their hands off me, telling me I would die on top of my father’s wealth. To be honest, my only backbone was my mother who seemed very supportive of the whole thing.

In about a month, everything had died down. My step mom and my little brother, the last born, was still in the house with me and my mother. I had begged them to stay that I would take care of them. I had also resumed work at my father’s company and was even working with some consultants to revamp the business. In my head, everything would be alright. That was until I got the message that changed everything.

I was in China on business when I got the e-mail. My little brother sent a panicked e-mail saying they had been pushed out of the house that morning by my mother and they were staying in a hotel. I immediately dialed my mother’s number. After, about two calls, she picked. I went on to ask her about the news I got and asked her and why she would do something that callous. She started screaming and raining abuses on me, asking me what I planned to do about it. I was too chilled to the marrow to respond to her. Something she said in the local dialect got to me. She had called me a bastard child. Why? She had never spoken to me before in that way. I tried to reach my other half-siblings, but as usual, they refused to respond to me. They had all shunned me since the meeting at the burial.

I was very worried about my step-mom and brother, so, I quickly rescheduled my flight and left for Nigeria the same night. The flight was the longest ever. My plan was to have a good rest when I got home before speaking to my mother, but to my greatest shock, upon getting to the house, there were armed security men at the gate and they wouldn’t let me in. Very angry, I called my mother, but she would not pick up her phone. I went to the same hotel my step-mother was to meet them. In fact, I could not sleep. I couldn’t even start confessing to my step-mother and explaining the events that led to the current situation.

The next morning, I tried calling my mother and entering the family house again but…the same thing. Even worse, I went to the office building, they also wouldn’t let me in. The most disconcerting thing was that the lawyer drove past me into the office building and they allowed him. All the noise I made had no effect. Agitated, I went to the nearest police station to report the incident. They asked me if I owned the buildings, I said yes. And then they asked if I had the papers to prove it. It was there my jaw dropped to the floor. My mother still had all the documents. I was lost and powerless. None of my half-siblings would even listen to me if I try to reach them.

It has all been surreal. Two weeks in and I’m now looking for how to rent a temporary apartment before taking my mother to court. There was no way I could have imagined this kind of thing. A mother, turning her back on her own flesh on blood? For what? Money that is not even hers? Karma is real! I can’t even believe I let her manipulate me the way she did. She must have jazzed me I swear. The one that is even bugging me the most now is the role the lawyer may have played in the whole thing. Why was he allowed in the office building and not me? So many questions. I am just weak, to be honest.

***
Do you have any confession you would like to make or shocking tale you’ld like to tell? Please send your story to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com.

Photo Credit: Kadettmann | Dreamstime.com

Nkem Ndem is an energetic and highly accomplished Media Consultant who loves to help small businesses, especially women-led, grow their online presence using the right digital strategy or transition from traditional organizational boundaries. With years of experience in Copywriting and Editing, Content Branding and Strategy, Social media, and Digital Marketing, she is clearly obsessed with Digital Communications. She is the Head of Content and Lead Consultant at Black Ink Media - an Ideation and Content Agency that excels in providing fresh, creative digital services to content-centric businesses. Find out more about her at www.blackinkm.com or send her an e-mail at [email protected] Also follow her on IG: @nkemndemv, Twitter: @ndemv.

1. Amarachi

April 23, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Jesu! Obara Zacharia…things are happening

I hope you get good advise on this blog

2. Lliki

April 23, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Greed is one of man’s greatest enemies! You were greedy, you never really loved your dad, so you wished him death because he complained of you incompetency.

You spread your bed, so lye on it and enjoy your restless and nightmarish sleep.
    As for your mother, she’s a wicked woman. Her kinds are everywhere, her end will not be good at all.
    Only God knows what your father endured while he was still married to your mother, for you to even allowed her to turn your heart against your stepmother, the woman who took care of you when she was not there, speaks volume of the kind of person you are.

3. Smokan

April 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Super story, we are nothing but pencils in the hands of the creator ?.

• Manny

April 24, 2017 at 1:08 am

Indeed we are but pencil in the hands of our creator. Anyway, if this story is true, you and your stepmom can take your mom to court.

4. o

April 23, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Hmm… Someone at BN is super creative.

• Author Unknown

April 24, 2017 at 2:00 am

Lol. Nollywood tings.

• Hmm

April 24, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Nope. Nkem stole this idea from sdk. Sdk calls it ‘anonymous night post’. Nkem Ndem visits sdk, she even sent her article to sdk to publish recently!!!

5. Oluwabunmi

April 23, 2017 at 11:43 pm

This is some super story ish??
    Is this for real?
    Abeg you should do a follow up in about 6 months, let’s know how everything played out

6. funmilola

April 23, 2017 at 11:44 pm

I sincerely don’t know what to say

7. Thatgidigirl

April 23, 2017 at 11:45 pm

This is Hints magazine online

8. Adunnie

April 23, 2017 at 11:50 pm

I only have one word for you….
    NTORRR!!!!

9. Seriously

April 23, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Wow!. Well, this is what greed, wickedness and heartlessness looks like. It’s sad how your mother went to a “prophet” before she did her evil works. So she think God doesn’t see her evil heart?
    I keep saying Nigerians are religious but are perfect examples of Pharisees. How do you expect the true God to fix your heart/country when majority serve two masters, it won’t work. This is the reason the country is such a brutal place to live.
    Your mother is evil, and you have a dark heart too. However, her evil heart outsmart yours. There’s nothing to say here, just repent and stop trying to control everything.

10. Iris

April 23, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Lol is BN posting Nigerian movies now?

11. Udegbunam Chukwudi

April 24, 2017 at 12:48 am

WAWU!

12. esteem

April 24, 2017 at 12:50 am

If this story is true then u got what you bergained for just accept your fate because the evil that men do live with them.

13. Honestina

April 24, 2017 at 12:54 am

Like mother, like son.
    Greediness runs in your veins. Please do us a favour by not pro creating.
    What’s done is done so for now take your mum to court. I see you losing a lot if not all cos in the original will, you were not given much. If you make it through this sane,you should consider a total revival of attitude and character. I sincerely wish you good luck.

14. onetallgirl

April 24, 2017 at 12:59 am

For some reason, I don’t think any of the stories on this confession box are real!

• winkbox_carla

April 24, 2017 at 8:17 am

There are worse stories my dear. Just as some men are evil so also some women, but society has always refused to see women as evil especially when we are talking about mothers. Most evils in the world was/is either directly or indirectly started by/for a woman. The wickedness in an evil woman is worse than 10 evil men put together, believe that !.

15. Author Unknown

April 24, 2017 at 2:00 am

You, your mum, and the lawyer should be locked up…for a long time.

16. Ottawa Queen

April 24, 2017 at 5:29 am

Would a mother really turn her back on her only son? I find this hard to believe it’s rare to find.

• Ima

April 24, 2017 at 7:10 am

A mother can turn her back on her only son. I have a practical example in my family.

17. john

April 24, 2017 at 6:35 am

If this story is true ..then it confirms my belief that men should forget their divorced ex( whether she divorces u or you divorce her) forget her and her offsprings and move on ..marry and start another family and move on and face ur new family…ure better off in the long run ..this was also my advice to freeze and co..she will poison that children aganst you..they will grow to cause trouble for you, stay awaybfrom them as far as possible.. it is not worth it vying for thier attention..move on..she is a rat mother ( in emeka ike coice)

• winkbox_carla

April 24, 2017 at 8:34 am

Thing is, the children will never believe the mother is the Evil one, I have a friend whose mother is trying so hard to destroy her marriage, even with all clear evidence she would have none of it.

This woman is so manipulative that she always make it look like her son-in-law is the problem whereas her plan is to get her daughter divorced, get her married off to the son of one her numerous man-friends who has a lot of lands (properties) on a promise to get a mere parcel of land(She openly say this in guise of a joke all the time). The height of selfishness and wickedness.

To say my friend is naive or under a spell or jazz of some sort would be an understatement, her mother’s marriage history alone would make an epic Nollywood blockbuster.

• rubbish

April 24, 2017 at 12:26 pm

This is total rubbish. My father divorced my mom and remarried. But took care of me till the very end, Your children would always be yours no matter what

18. marlee

April 24, 2017 at 7:28 am

@John, i dont what you went throu in life but it damaged you totally. How can a father forget his own children. what about the mother because she will also remarry, must they all throw their children away? or you think children rearing is the mother’s responsibility. you are truly stupid and utterly useless.

19. Fictionaddictbooks.blogspot.com.ng

April 24, 2017 at 8:53 am

First of, I-weak. Is this even real? It looks like some story from a tele-novela, like Telemundo things. And what kind of lawyer reveals the contents of a will to just one member of the family in the absence of others?

20. Idomagirl

April 24, 2017 at 9:22 am

This is the same person that brought us that “I interrupted his wedding and told everyone he was gay” story abi?
    Nollywood needs scriptwriters.

21. www.thelmathinks.com

April 24, 2017 at 10:08 am

BN you insult our intelligence. But since you’re now going into made up stories, please visit Joro or BOM’s pages to know how it’s done. Anybody who’s ever written fiction of even read one would know that this is purely fiction. This is so annoying honestly!

• kay

April 24, 2017 at 10:43 am

I believe your moniker is a blog probably ran by yourself, you mean to tell us that if one of your readers DM you this story, you won’t publish it on your blog?

22. Nuel

April 24, 2017 at 11:21 am

Hey Bro. If your reading advice and ur story is real. Don’t give up. First talk to someone in a church [not ur old church if u have one] honestly il reccommend a catholic priest.get close to God little by little, 2ndly u def have to confess to ur step mum who took care of u [ better weep ur life out and lay down begging for forgiveness & closure] apologize to people that u have wronged during this process. E.g.: step brothers
    And yes I tell u ,ur mum can do this to u! Why do I say so ? [thats cuz ur mum was wrong from the moment she took her son to a prophet,not a church a prohphet [ what TF is that].

From what I read I feel ur mum contributed to the evolving of this ur dark side which eventually led u to this downfall

Have a nice day
    And wish u the best

23. LostInSpace

April 24, 2017 at 12:12 pm

I won’t put all the blame on you but you just allowed yourself to be manipulated by your mom. The big picture is right there in front of you but yet you couldn’t see it. I think your dad must have part ways with your mom for some reason. Did you ever ask him why? It’s never too late to confess to your siblings. If you feel taking her to court and getting everything from her all by yourself will work, you are definitely wrong. You need your siblings now than ever, and they need you too. Y’all will have to sue your mom and the lawyer but keep in mind you will have to witness against your own mom, which could be deadly. I pray you find peace.

24. Shadow

April 24, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Haaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaa

Aint God good??

25. Butterflymind

April 24, 2017 at 12:39 pm

He who goes to equity must go with clean hands.

26. tola

April 24, 2017 at 2:34 pm

young men should learn to be independent, have some hustle, know what the real life is, not relying on your father’s wealth, your father’s cars and houses. what happens to having a business of your own, and having an apartment of your own. Now you don,t have a house, stop chasing after your father’s money and make your own money.. i think you have to confess to your siblings and your step mother, it is not going to be easy but you have to reveal the secret, and to your mother, karma awaits her.

27. nunulicious

April 24, 2017 at 9:30 pm

If you’re really sorry, forget about everything your father had and what your mother did and start all over again from scratch. If you then “make it” you need to do restitution to your step mom and your siblings. That is the honourable thing to do. But you may not have the guts or will power to take the honourable road. the choice is yours…

28. green_diamond

April 25, 2017 at 6:09 am

Not sure if this is just a write up or a serious true life story but here goes my advice.. Talk to God, it is very possible you thought you were making all the decisions but you may have been jazzed in some type of way, find yourself a good i mean Good man of God and let them join u in prayers. you are a caring person as u still cared for your step-family. People easily point fingers but their opinion doesnt matter, your situation happens more frequently than you know, try to call a seat down with your family members and confess and find evidence you can gather against her, find that prophet that prayed for you. That lawyer wont be his first time for sure. Goodluck

29. Busola

January 6, 2018 at 10:30 am

Why do you always think these stories are false though? I enjoy and learn from them.