News

Come and make Billions in Nigeria – FG tells Citizens in Diaspora

BellaNaija.com

Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbonnaya Onu

The Federal Government has called on Nigerians in the Diaspora to return home and seize the various economic opportunities to make billions of Naira.

The Minister of Science and Technology, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu made the call at an investment forum organised in New York by his ministry for Nigerians in the U.S.

Onu explained that various investment opportunities currently exist and are waiting for them at home, challenging them to take them.

The former Governor of Abia (from 1992 to 1993), informed Diaspora Nigerians that various research products with opportunities to yield billions of Naira, were waiting for them at home.

“We are asking you to come and be billionaires. That is what we are asking you, not millionaires. Come and make billions.

We will give you products of research at nothing or little cost to you because it would be nice for the agency that has done this research to get some little returns.

It (will) also be nice for the scientists, engineers who were involved in doing this research just to get something, that’s all but it would be very small.

So we give it (research products) to you, knowing that you will keep the money in Nigeria, you will help employ Nigerians and you will help to grow our Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

That is our interest; that is the reason why we are here,” the minister said.

Onu, who was the National Chairman of the defunct ANPP, explained that the agencies under the ministry had already developed the research products through various stages of tests and trials.

According to him, “we are asking Nigerians in the Diaspora that think home, come and take the researches that we have done.”

“We have taken them to a level where you can now immediately convert them into products, make money out of it; that is the message.”

The minister, who returned to Nigeria from the U.S. in 1981, said as a policy, researchers will not be involved in the commercialisation of the research products to enable them concentrate on innovation rather than money.

He said that one of the agencies under the ministry was already working on a cure for epilepsy and was only awaiting the final stages of trials by the National Agency for Food Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC).

“We are working on a cure for epilepsy; there is a drug that one of our agencies is working on, it is being tested now.

And we know that epilepsy is a disease that is worldwide and this agency will not on its own commercialise this drug.

For NAFDAC to give its approval, there are so many stages of trials and tests that the drug has to pass through.

But at the time that it must have satisfied all these conditions, we don’t want our researchers to go into commercialisation.

Because if we do that, they would no longer continue with research; everybody would prefer to go and make money,” he said.

1. nne

April 30, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I. CANT.
    How? He didnt expand on the mechanisms through which people can come back and invest.
    Our leaders can talk with no fear of being held accountable to deliver.

• ND babe

April 30, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Exactly. Dr Onu, my biochemistry teacher, here is the first problem. None of the diaspora I know (and I know many along the east coast corridor who are physicians and scientists) even knew you were coming. I had to be an avid Bella Naija reader to know you came to my backyard in the USA. Therein lies your main obstacle. If you are not even able to reach them, how can you tap into their resources, knowledge, etc?
      Second, You cannot just ask people to leave their $300k jobs to come and become billionnaires without a clear strategy and landing plan. Do I just get on United Airlines, arrive Murtala Mohammed, and it happens? Where is the forum we sign on to? What infrastructure and systems have you prepared to incubate ideas from diaspora? What facilities are you going to make available by way of seed funding, investments, etc?
      Third, people cannot just land and start stuff. What plans do you have to bring together those working in Nigeria with those who are bringing their own ideas from elsewhere? SOme of us cannot uproot kids to come and stay permanently but we are willing to sow our ideas and let the right people run with them.

2. TrueTalk

April 30, 2017 at 2:45 pm

…..And it isn’t even the the first of April

3. Carmen

April 30, 2017 at 3:28 pm

My diaspora brethren…’Issa’ trap!

• Shior

April 30, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Lmao…… we shall not fall

4. Ottawa Queen

April 30, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Lol.! To an extent he’s correct o. There are opportunities to make more money back home than here in the diaspora. Here majority live from pay cheque to pay cheque, piles of bills, taxes, car/home/medical insurances to be paid and still little or none is left to cater for yourself or the family even with a good job. In Nigeria despite the economic hardship, with a good capital, one can still find opportunities in diverse sectors to invest and start up a business which may yield profits quickly. Here. just to register a business alone, is quite on the high side. Not to talk of the expenses incurred while establishing it and of course the steady controlled taxes you’ll be paying back to the govt whether you’re making profits or loss. I’ve come to the realisation that people actually tend to save more financially than those in the diaspora.

• person

April 30, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Sometimes it is better to live from paycheck to pay check and have good hospitals, good roads, adequate power supply , good food to eat ( i.e apple is NOT a luxury)…. than to have billions in the account and still fly abroad for a small headache. It is not all about money biko. Peace of mind is priceless. leave me in my abroad. I aint complaining.

• Ottawa Queen

April 30, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I’m only referring to the monetary aspect. He didn’t focus on the standard of living in Nigeria. Of course one will prefer living abroad for the sake of peace, security, good amenities & high standard of living. But if na money talk, money full ground for naija.

• Bukola A

April 30, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Ehn Mrs …..nahhhh bruhhhhh
      I’m 26 ehn…. not bragging oh
      Got a car that’s paid for . N it’s not a danfo oh (nice 2013, luxury model I shall not name )
      Got insurance through the company I work with pay only 36$ Cho, dedudtxinke is 1000$, dental at $4 every two weeks. That’s about $40 per paycheck, $80 a month
      My car insurance , I’ve told myself I’m a good driver , liability (75$:month) State Farm for the win.
      Att bill 80$ I’m still paying 25$ included in that 80$ for my monthly installment plan
      I’ve got student loans 350$
      Other than that. Everything Else is misscelaneous
      Not everyone in the abroad is living paycheck to paycheck if you’ve got a good paying job .
      Luckily for me I live with family so I just chip in with bills every now and then. If I wasn’t always traveling up and down. I’d have saved plenty(trying to do that now)
      If you’re in the right field, there’s plenty money to be made . Even after taxes my take home every month and after 401k is 4$k a month. Which could be so much better.
      M I don’t wanna hear talk I’m one of the few. There are many of us doing well….n it’s not washhhhh

• Jadapinket

May 1, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I agree with you on this… That’s the same thing I have been saying, over and over again.

5. Vincent

April 30, 2017 at 5:02 pm

There is need for a more coordinated attempt by the Private sector/ FG to stimulate diaspora investment initiatives, it will be tough for the diaspora to trust the NGR FG on it’s own. They need to see Programmes that ensure transparency and no wift of corruption, cos the thought of their hard earned money lining up pockets of Gorvenment officials is a nightmare. An idea that could fly is the crowdsourcing of diaspora funds for investment in Infrastructure. The diaspora need’s to coordinate themselves , play their cards close to their chests and set the precedence for their nvstment road map. Nigeria needs this form of Foreign direct investment desperately for it’s infrastructure development, (power, railway, revamp of ports, toll roads, gas pipelines, etc) coupled with the human resource they will bring to effectively oversee this projects.

6. survivor

April 30, 2017 at 5:05 pm

With no security,, no power supply

7. funmilola

April 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm

My people in diaspora….hmm!
    The only way you can make billions here is to bring millions first to invest…..if you come empty and believe what the minister said, OYO is your case!

8. Ebu

April 30, 2017 at 5:21 pm

With no working​ system in place? With the lawlessness and insecurities?.. With all the thieves and robbers everywhere? Where no one could survive on legitimate​ income – mostly not by choice……

9. blackbeatle

April 30, 2017 at 5:39 pm

*screeches off to ATL intl to ask for the next flight to abuja or lagos*

10. Bukola A

April 30, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Invest in no electricity ?
    Bad roads ?
    Inflation ?
    Today your naira will be 420/$
    Tomorrow it’ll be 200/1$
    Please how does one invest in such a country ?
    This man should stop playing Biko
    When Nigeria gets it s%#t together nobody will tell us twice to come home to invest .
    We will be here shap shap.

11. Memoir

April 30, 2017 at 6:50 pm

LoL I couldn’t stop laughing . ..9ja I hail thee .Na diesel generator the scientists and engineers go use do work research work for this century? Hehe what a joke

12. Stephen Ron Wells

April 30, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Wayo man were the billions?
    Put light first .water good roads before you start talking billions
    Have you made billion your self?
    Because you steal you don’t make billion
    Story teller
    Zoo Nation

13. me

April 30, 2017 at 7:37 pm

#Government officials in power are hiding money; whistle-blowers are exposing their scam, suicide has now become the norm and the people are languishing in poverty yet, you are giving us speech on making billions back home!!! HOW?

What a ploy to lure Nigerians back home, if there is no evident that the people in Nigeria are making money in their own homeland what is the probability that the disporian will make billions. Are you trying to hide government money in their bank account?!?

14. Tunji Sobowale Sobowale

April 30, 2017 at 9:22 pm

It’s good to hear this guy talk. However, the truth is that you will be frustrated all the way . From registering the company at CAC where they do not know there left from tight . To Nafdac where you will pay 25k for a permit ( with receipt)but you will have to process it with 800k (with no receipt). This is different from all local unofficial rares that has to be paid to different groups before your outlet could stand.
    The cost of electricity and the cost or running the generator has to be considered before taking the step of setting up a business in Nigeria
    Maybe if they can correct this mess up it might be ok to setup a nusiness

15. Michael

April 30, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Thanks u , my advise to anyone leaving here in abroad ,There is no place like home , making 250 thousands in dollars and still suffering. Pls my advise to anyone leaving here in abroad is to try an invest back home.

• ogeAdiro

May 1, 2017 at 1:32 am

Anybody making 250k is part of the top 10 percent of income earners in the US. If someone is part of the top 10 percent and they’re still suffering, then their problem probably won’t be solved by more money.

• ND babe

May 1, 2017 at 10:23 pm

They are probably living well above their means and doing Ojuaye.

16. Funnyman

May 1, 2017 at 12:04 am

They have done the research and everything is in place…so why not government pour money into it and make establishments out of it. They have the Chinese to help. Or appeal to the thieving politicians to use that money. BTW how much did this minister have or make before becoming a politician?

17. Bobo s

May 1, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Sir, can you help me tell the FG to start fixing the power problem with the money EFCC is realising before coming out here to invite people to come and make billion. Tell your friends in politics to surrender all stollen money because we only have one life to live, at 90 we are gone if we can even get there that is by the grace of God.

18. xtsy

May 2, 2017 at 6:23 am

The millions I have spent has not yielded any returns. I’m fully determined to never look back.

19. Kay High

May 2, 2017 at 7:39 am

Thanks, Minister Onu. Go and make sure that all the recovered stolen money are used to make the basic things that we lack work. Such as Electricity, Good Roads, Portable Water (Not Bore Holes), Security, Health and easy means of transportation. Let the educational system be revitalized. Create jobs for our people and make the masses have foods to eat. It’s easy for whoever wants to go back to Nigeria if the situation is better. But with all the lootings that are getting back to the looters, only those who are with you will come to join you. For those who can’t beat you are definitely going to join you. Thanks for you traps. I’m sure those of your kinds will fall the victims. Count me out for now. I’m very much pleased and happy with my peanut pay check right here.

20. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 2, 2017 at 9:44 am

@ND babe, Professor Ogbonnaya Onu has made funds available. You are speaking these marvellous English grammar for him. Or you just want to let us know that you studied in the United States of America and you earn $300,000:00 per annum?

@Ottawa Queen, money full ground for Nigeria

“All of una, una own be-tt-er sha, me; I just ask, may dem just employ me for Agricultural farm for Nigeria.

May I just dey collect small money.

Ever since I come United Kingdom, dey live for d country, I never earn salary per annum. I dey earn per hour. And I dey pay many bills. And u no say, Great Britain dey allow make you borrow money and pay back. But you no fit save money.

So dat wan, no be life.

I wan make all of una, wey no wan go back to Nigeria, say, una get be-tt-er living for abroad.

May una petition Great Britain, may dem deport me back to Nigeria, make I go there, dey earn small money – wey I go fit feed ma self.

Because man no go do am for me.”

21. Idomagirl

May 2, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Please don’t listen to them o.
    Stay where you are!

22. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 3, 2017 at 9:22 am

@Idomagirl, thank you for your frightened advice……

I don’t want to live in Great Britain.

I have given my reasons.

Please help and assist in petitioning in my being deported back to Nigeria.

It is my Ifeyinwa Chineze Atuanya deportation.

It is not @Idomagirl deportation.

23. EUmoh

May 3, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I dare the FG of Nigeria to put the peoples’ money where FG’s mouth is. Citizens in the Diaspora have invested millions of dollars in Nigeria and these same citizens are not allowed by the FG to exercise their civic rights to vote. So, on behalf of Citizens in the Diaspora, I challenge the FG to recognize our rights to vote, provide basic infrastructures that promote investments (Roads, Power and Communication Backbone) and ease Forex controls, CAC business formation policy and processes. Sir, Citizens in Diaspora expect ROI, not just talk.

24. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 4, 2017 at 9:54 am

@EUomoh, speak for yourself

I have been in Diaspora: Great Britain for 19 years

Husband, “I no marry” “I don have two abortions” I have been on benefits since 2007 – have not come out of benefits, upon all my educational and training certificates

Mortgage house – I have heard about them, but I don’t own a home

I cannot rent – I am supposed to be a British Citizen

@EUomoh, are you sure you are a Nigerian?

“Biko” as you are enjoying life in Diaspora, please petition to the Federal government of Nigeria, to help and enable me deport back to Nigeria

I am not ashamed of my life. But I have to eat. My benefits are not constant – so I cannot save

Even this day: the fourth of May 2017, I have not eaten – no money to feed

Please don’t tell me, go to church, because church that I have been to, have not helped me

Pastor Chris Nwandu of Plaistow London United Kingdom; I went to his church on Christmas day in 2016 to ask them for food only. His wife and her Yoruba female church friend disgraced me by telling me they don’t have money to give me from their church offering, this happened before their church service started on the same Christmas day in 2016

I don’t blame people who don’t attend Pentecostal churches because they don’t like giving charity – but giving charity happens to be in the Bible

If you want to hear my stories that are not prosperous like you rich Nigeians in Diaspora, my contact number is +447778080810 / 07778080810

It is good to hear the stories from Ifeyinwa Chineze Atuanya’s mouth, and her having countless abortions

So; gossips are welcome to call me on my Ifeyinwa Chineze Atuanya’s contact telephone number +447778080810 / 07778080810 😉

25. Ifeyinwa Atuanya