News

How High School Boys Rape their Female Counterparts in Broad Daylight in Ikoyi – Lady Shares her Heartbreaking Experience

BellaNaija.com

A lady Michale M. has shared a heartbreaking story of a terrible event she experienced around the Ikoyi area of Lagos state.

Michale shared how high school boys tried to gang-rape their female counterparts after their final exams. As is a trend in many high schools, students tear their school uniforms after they complete their high school exams, and the boys used it as an opportunity to assault, rob and rape girls.

According to M.M, a man who had assisted her on the said day, claimed that a girl was raped in that area the previous week.

M.M wrote:

Dear Reader,
I write this incidence with lots of mortification and great concern for what the next generation will be like in Nigeria if we do not quickly get to work repairing and paying them attention. Our elders have led their lives and we the generation who follow the baby boomers must hunker down and correct the ills in our back yards and community. It’s a common saying that evil prevails when good men do nothing. Today the 3rd of May 2017, I almost saw this evil happen. Almost because I got so moved in my spirit with great indignation that I decided to speak up.

I am in my office about 4pm waiting for my driver to bring my older son from school so we can get home on time to prepare the younger one for his common entrance exams into secondary school coming up in two weeks. I called the driver and he said he was around and as I leave my nieces office upstairs, I hear a lot of shouting and commotion outside our office. I then ask the receptionist what it was about and he says it’s the secondary school student who have finished their final exams tearing their clothes. I mumble to my self that if any of them were my children I will deal with them. As they don’t earn money so how can they tear what was bought for them.

Suffice to say I give my older son who is helping me with my bags that speech and we head out into the car. As we come outside the noise is overwhelming and as my son kept saying when we were later discussing what happened, he described it as being very intense when we had a chance to discuss the events that followed as people were running and upon my looking closer I saw pockets of people actually students and then girls running with palpable fear in their faces. At this point I quickly enter my car to leave so one doesn’t meet whatever the problem was and to avoid traffic too.

And as we entered the car and I look a bit closely at a crowd of boys who have surrounded two persons on the floor who appear to be fighting. Their shouting overpowers any other sound and looking closely I see the most unreal thing. It’s actually a boy trying to force himself on a girl with his trousers partly down and the boys are cheering him on.

People are looking and some persons the security guards in the office near us are recording it. I open my car in disbelief and shout on the boys to break it up while shouting at my security and the second driver to assist me. I walk towards them and as I make my way towards them I see another group and this time they have cornered one of the the girls who fell while running from them. In almost a surreal way I am looking but not quickly processing. I see her kicked down, she bravely pushes herself up and another guy tries to clear her legs and she lunges at him and then a guy takes a pair of scissors in his hands and with one swoop tears her skirt from the bottom and also a part of the black spanx shorts she has on underneath.

All these happen really in a few minutes and he proceeds to push himself into her through her back. His trousers is open too and another one tries to do same from the front. As this is going on the crowd of boys are wild with frenzy, cheering the two boys on, while grabbing at her hair, breasts and she is fighting for her dear life. I am still making my way towards the first group but they bolt when they see me coming and when I see them do so I move ahead and rush towards the second group this time shouting at the top of my lungs at my own office security, the office next door and thankfully mine follow me and when they see us coming they break up and run but there more girls running back. I reach the girl and we gather her things together. She ties the torn skirt around her spanx shorts like a wrapper and holds onto to me.

I see the boys have run forwards and stopped, waiting for me to enter my car while threatening other teenage school girls still. I have a crowd of over 25 girls huddled together frantically telling me their various ordeals. I ask them to take another route back and am told if the go back from where they are coming there is another group behind and the our office road is a crescent so they are technically locked in. And most of them have their skirts ripped as they claim the boys in the various groups have scissors on them.

Further questioning tells me the best way is to go out is towards the other side but since they are too scared to go I ask my security, some other men have come out to escort them too, with myself as the only adult female and there begins over an hours walk towards the obalende roundabout from off awolowo road in Ikoyi. We meet other girls who have had their clothes ripped as the boys fled once the boys realized I was not backing up. The boys would reach a distance and stop to taunt the girls.

We now had a crowd of over 60 girls who needed to get safely to the bus stop and find their way home. We (being myself and the other men escorting the girls) start talking about how to get hold of one of the boys so we can use him as an example. At this point I call a friend and ask for a Mopol to be sent to me. I describe my location. My attention is drawn to another girl who had just been manhandled by the fleeing boys. A woman warns the girls to beware as the boys have split up and are waiting as some live in that locality.

We then break into three groups to escort the girls to their various bus or home points. I take the two girls whom I saw personally manhandled and begin to make careful inquiries. Feedback shows that they go to a senior high school called Falomo Senior High School next to Ireti Grammar School that these boys go to. Today was both schools’ final day after which they will come only to collect their results from Wednesday of the following week so the boys who had already started raping some girls last week now planned this brazen rape and manhandling activity. They had also stolen their phones and transport money.

We then made arrangements to transport them home. By now the mopol has come. He walks me to obalende under bridge to put the two girls and their friends going to Yaba into a bus. This is not before I get the names of the boys as George and Abiodun as the main perpetrators, they are final year students of Ireti Grammar School SW Ikoyi. I call a friend and I’m told to take pictures but most of the girls have gone but we are able to take pictures of at least 7 girls with me who had torn clothes in various stages of disarray.

I give my number to the only girl left with a phone and this was because she put it into her spanx shorts as she wore two and used one to roll her phone into it. I am amazed at this whole thing and we agree that they should come through to my office on Wednesday of the following week but I will go ahead and make a report to the two schools tomorrow and begin finding these evil boys so we can use them as examples to deter other from this abominable behavior perpetrated in broad day light. One of the girls says she can identify them. She gives me her number. I ask my security to ensure he receives them at 9am when we agreed to meet.

I turn and leave but I will never be the same again. The evil is terrible. The lack of regard and the indignity. My mind runs through and is still running through all I have seen. I have a friend who normally stops to help distressed persons or attend to traffic situation and I always warn him to desist and he will say someone has to do it. Today I am most grateful I was that someone. I had other people join me especially a man who saw me and said “madam a girl was raped last week by this office. I’m tired of this.” He removed his tie and followed me. They stayed with me till the last set of kids entered the bus and as they came so they left when we got done. I did not get to say thank you to them. My older son was like “mum, they must be angels or Jesus.” Actually he said the man that followed me first must be Jesus. I don’t know who he was but if he ever reads this post my heartfelt thank you to him for that large-hearted action. God is kind oh, that there are still good men but we must speak up and as such I am following up to ensure we do something collectively to help the boys of this school as I believe mentoring is required if this cycle is to be broken but the ones who committed this dastardly act must be brought to book first. I ask those in authority to look into this as I am told it’s quite prevalent.

God bless Nigeria and we all have a part in ensuring the blessing.

A BellaNaijarian shared this story with us saying:

Thank God these boys had been arrested. This is a complete degradation of our family values.
What homes do these boys come from?
What makes them think it’s ok to commit such atrocities?
Do these boys have sisters?
Were these boys raised in a home with a father?
What values have they placed on the lives of these female students to think that sexually molesting them is ok
To say this was not a singular act but multiple one witnessed by many who turned a blind eye,signifies the lack of empathy, love, care espoused in our society daily.
From what I read, rather than the security guys intervening & rescuing these girls from being sexually assaulted, they whipped out their phones to capture the gruesome act. We have lost it as a nation.
I keep saying it & will keep repeating it that the “family” or your home is the 1st institution you’ll attend in life.
Once there is a breakdown of values either morally, ethically, culturally etc in that home, it automatically transfers to the larger society.
The home is a microcosm of the larger society.
We must all pay attention to our homes & the values we are teaching our children daily.
We are constantly teaching our girls to be careful amongst boys but forgetting to teach our sons that their body is just as sacred and that girls are jewels that must be protected & valued.
I am a father to 4 wonderful girls & a thoughtful son. He knows from day 1 that he’s surrounded by jewels & they are cherished.
God bless our homes.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Bennie

May 5, 2017 at 3:06 pm

I read the story with tears in my eyes, especially at the part where the security men whipped out phones and were recording!!!!!
    I hope the school handles it appropriately

• Bola

May 5, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Can this issue be escalated to Governor Ambode and/or his Deputy, as well as Abike Eruwa? Something has to be done, and fast. This is disheartening to read. Can’t believe my eyes.

• Ross

May 6, 2017 at 4:27 am

The update is that the governor is now involved. As at yesterday the two boys named had been picked and one of the girls was to identify them. They need to be locked away as an example to deter others

2. Queeneth

May 5, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Very nice of you poster. God bless your beautiful heart!
    BTW I hope somebody will not come and start saying stories that tickle the ass by telling us how one of the boys is an orphan, or how his father’s health is deteriorating since he got the news, bla bla bla, Let justice prevail and let the boys face the music. Maybe it will at least serve as a deterrent to other beasts in the offing!
    P.s: I don’t know why I have to say this but kindly reduce the everyday headache-causing cases like these in our society by raising your kids well!

3. Bee

May 5, 2017 at 3:10 pm

OMG this is a sad story and i hope those silly boys are caught. God help this generation coming up. Its quite sad at so many characters they show

4. [email protected]

May 5, 2017 at 3:16 pm

And the you wonder where the entitled mentality of these boys come from later in life.
    Growing up you never touched a woman. I was in the market in the east one time and a man was struggling with a woman and the whole line of men came out and defended her saying to the man that he was a stupid man to fight with a woman he claimed she was wrong but they All defended her saying that she could be his sister or mother.
    This was how it was for me . Even when a little boy and girl fought the boy was seriously caned for fighting with a girl irrespective of who was at fault he was thought never to lay hands on a woman and walk away if he felt unsafe . These days it’s different

5. I'm too young to get married.

May 5, 2017 at 3:27 pm

This is so true. When i was a student of Eva Adelaja Grammar school years ago, my mother wouldn’t let me attend events in school whether prize giving day or valedictory service because at the end of the day, the adults would leave, and the girls (it was a girls only school) would be prey to boys from other schools who would break into these events and rape them. And when we resumed school the next day, we would see so many torn parties lying around the premises. It was so sickening.

Also, i remember two years ago when i was in my final year in Unilag, i went to the library to study and there was an event going on in front of my hostel when i got back. I wasn’t very interested in the event because there were hundreds of ragged, sweaty boys and i was tired, so i tried to make my way through and get into the hostel. As i began to press through, i felt hands on my breasts, my thighs, my bum and more. I started screaming and fighting them off but there were so many boys grabbing and pressing me and i was sobbing. Lucky for me, a female security guard saw me fighting and yelled “they’re touching that girl. bring her. bring her!” so she was able to step in and pull me out. I immediately ran into my room and burst into tears that lasted for hours.

It’s so terrible what we ladies face in today’s society. My little sister is 18 years old and daily i pray that she doesn’t get raped or fall into the hands of men who don’t respect women because that’s one of the worst things that can happen to any woman.

• Marimax

May 5, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I also went to Eva Adelaja and as at that time it was better, there wasn’t this kind of shameful acts. Up school!!!

6. o

May 5, 2017 at 3:44 pm

God forbid evil happens to one in Lagos. Ppl will rather film than assist. Parents need to do more, the school needs to do more. The young men coming up now, if we are not careful, monsters will be better than them in future. Imagine trying to rape a girl in broad daylight on the street of Lagos??? So disheartening. I went to a public secondary school and nothing like that in my days.

Shame on those security guards. They should be reported to their employers. Would they whip out their phones if it was their sisters being molested?

• Boladale

May 8, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Parent need to do more, am a mother of three boys. My first boy is in his final lap of secondary education, but I always sing it into my boys ear, ‘don’t rape a girl’, don’t join others to rape’, ‘rape is not good’.

Home is the foundation of whatever our children will become. Parent should wake up to their responsibility. Having baby no be joke according to Sunny Ade and Onyeka Onwenu

7. uche

May 5, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I a not surprised but just annoyed, notsurprised because Iit is what nilly wood especially the music preaches we don’t have have sane lyrics with sound message or morals anymore, what what we have is rubbish coined together in the name name of music, and it is a very powerful part of teenagers and youth life

8. SoniaPaloma

May 5, 2017 at 4:33 pm

I will kindly save myself the long writing because sincerely it will be of no use
    We need better disciplinary system in Nigeria for the male child. PARENTS,teach your boys to be respectful do not make them feel they are entitled to anything because they are are MALE.

• le coco

May 5, 2017 at 5:52 pm

spot on.. i Am almost sure these stupid oys come from two parent households.. The kind where their mom’s put them above their sisters.. The ones where their sisters do all the work and are held to a higher standard..
      Where do kids learn this trash from.. PARENTS DO BETTER.. Men Raise your children.. Women Hold you sons accountable.. This has to stop

• bey

May 5, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Thank you for this point. That is exactly the problem with Nigeria.
      This first son syndrome, only boy syndrome etc.
      They spend so much time training a girl how to clean,cook, be a good wife and a good mother .
      In most homes you better don’t be watching TV and you mum is cooking in the kitchen. After you have cooked;clean. The mum now tells you to bring your daddy and your brother”only sons” plate to dish theirs first.
      I can remember while staying with my aunt in Abuja hers was even worse. The way she pampers her son.
      He comes home daily ard 10pm after hanging out with friends after work. She would have dished his food for him in the oven. He will come in 1am and that food must be there hot for him.
      The one and only time me and the sister attempted even going to the club and left home 10pm there is no sermon we didn’t hear.
      About how responsible girls don’t go out that time.
      There’s different rules for the girl child.
      Another set of rules for the boy child.
      That is the problem.
      Even if they prosecute this boys PLS expect they will have supporters especially their MOTHERS.
      They will claim the girls wear short skirts and taunt their poor sons.

• le coco

May 5, 2017 at 8:08 pm

spot on @bey .
      people don’t get that it is a cycle.. If you keep training girls to be good wives.. but excusing bad behaviour from your boys.. pls WHO WILL YOUR DAUGHTERS MARRY… You cant pray tht ur daughter finds a good man yet u rnt raising a good man… It doesn’t work that way.. We now wonder how our daughters get into horrible marriages..

I recall an episode of the popular web series “rumour had it” Uru eke who was going through marital issues was listening and consoling her best friend who coincidentally was her sister inlaw… sad thing was.. she kept codling her brother knowing fully well the man wasn’t bring a good husband.. I kept thinking how on earth does one have The nerve to want a good marriage yet she doesn’t bother to advise her own brother..

9. funmilola

May 5, 2017 at 4:42 pm

This is appalling, I read with shock and fear…..can parents please pay more attention to their children, please!

10. Engoz

May 5, 2017 at 4:44 pm

I hope those comedians that make light of sexual assault are reading. Also the men/women that argue sexual assault on the premise of the ‘type of clothing you wear’ or something along the line of ‘what’s she doing a man’s house’ as if sexual violence is dependent on clothing or location rather than the depravity of the criminal. This is the monster you have created. You have bred monsters for your daughters. Your daughters are now in danger in Nigeria. Young girls in uniforms are getting violated in broad day light. What has been going on in darkness, is now coming to light. Continue making light of rape. The next comedy event you go to, go there and laugh over rape jokes, you hear. Don’t wake up to the reality of Nigeria’s rape culture and the limited MALE role models for boys in our society. Continue holding only girls responsible for sexual morality. Leave the boys to do whatever they like. Continue living in your fake realities as masculinity is being defined as a sexually corrupt immoral entity. Don’t call your boys to order. Continue focusing on the girls the way Reuben Abati, Reno Omokri, Alibaba, etc does. You will never ever see them call their boys to order and question the corruption and thuggery of masculinity. I will help you all question it. M.M thank you for a job well done and bringing this into light.

• Gia

May 5, 2017 at 4:59 pm

“You have bred monsters for your daughters.”

gbam gbam gbam!!!!!!
      PLEASE,TELL THEM!!!!

• Gia

May 5, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Infact,where are those silly goats????
      John,chief and their coohorts???
      They are always no where to be found when topics like this one come up!
      NONSENSE!!

• Chief

May 5, 2017 at 5:39 pm

@Engoz….Another of your comment excoriating and demonizing men.You see why i hate your feminism ideology because it teaches our daughters that men are boorish dolts who needed to be herded like goats.

• Engoz

May 5, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Huh? I don’t have to teach girls anything….they will EXPERIENCE IT THEMSELVES! Girls don’t need to be taught about ‘boorishness’ because by you males actions, girls will come to the conclusion of the unhindered, unquestioned thuggery of masculinity. Those young girls have been scarred for life. They don’t need ‘Engoz’ to school them on boorishness. They have lived and experienced it. Do not sidetrack this sexual assault with your usual penile erections over feminism. Call your DAMN boys to order!

• john

May 5, 2017 at 8:46 pm

always trust a retarded ,miserable already man-hating feminist to use any opportunity to hijack an important issue about real women plights an inject all her frustrations and misery on life about men on the topic…the day women will realize how much damage those radical online use and dump feminists like engoz… hadiza..real nigerian and sugbelly etc..they will finally make a great headway

• Jade Edo babe

May 5, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Chief your mindset is warped. No need to demonize men, men do that job perfectly. You are one of the entitled men we speak of. You are the reason feminism is much needed.
      Every jargon you write confirms once again why we need feminism and protecting our women from monsters like you and these school students.
      I hate how nigerian women undermine rape, molestation and the importance of raising their sons to respect women. I blame them because if they didn’t give these men such opportunity to feel entitled, they wouldn’t

• Engoz

May 6, 2017 at 11:36 am

@john

You are a big fool! Your arguments have always been that there’s nothing to fight for in women’s right, now you are talking about ‘real women’s right.’ I thought women were just making noise and everything was fine and dandy in your patriarchal Nigeria. May God punish you for your hypocrisy, twofacedness and double speak! You cannot sidetrack the failures of your patriarchal structures as a discussion for feminism. Your patriarchy has FAILED to provide the so-called protections it claims it gives women. Since you older badly behaved men have connived and refused to call the younger ones to order, get ready to be destroyed by me on this board. I hope my words continue to hit all of you hypocrites. Your patriarchy has failed women. If the truth hurts you too much, take a rope and a chair and do the needful.

• gia

May 6, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Close your mouth!

• TA

May 5, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Thank you so very much!

• kkay

May 10, 2017 at 2:50 pm

This Wonder Woman, Michael Matthews should be nominated and voted as the CNN hero 2017!
      What a woman! So compassionate and brave!! God reward her abundantly.

@ Engoz, a zillion likes for your comment!
      Some comedians and their lewd jokes! That’s why I never bother with them. Then, the vulgar lyrical contents and obscenity in music videos….yet major telecommunication networks and big brands endorse them. You see the effect of the trash you’ve been promoting??? Pop culture lunacy!
      There are academic geniuses all over schools in Nigeria, excelling in Mathematics Olympiad, Sciences, Arts, ICT yet, these telecoms giants and big brands won’t endorse them as ambassadors and inspire the youth.

Go to my alma mater and state, they produced the best 3 students that attended a competition in Germany. How many Nigerians heard of them? How many multinationals endorsed them?

Nigerians would sit at home and watch that trashy reality TV show where women and men debase themselves!
      Thank God Governor Ambode and Lagos State Government took up this case.
      RAPE must be exterminated from Nigeria and rapists severelly punished. Left to me, I’ll castrate any rapist as a deterrence to other like-minded vermins!

11. FasholasLover

May 5, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I read this elsewhere and my blood ran cold. I will be a mother soon and the thought of anyone trying to hurt my children frightens the hell out of me. This world is so cruel. To think some people actually were recording the abuse rather than go to the rescue of the girls. What manner of men will these monsters grow up to be? Abuse girls in broad day light without shame, without fear? I am lost for words.

12. "changing moniker"

May 5, 2017 at 4:56 pm

??

13. jinkelele

May 5, 2017 at 5:05 pm

We have created monsters
    Porn on tv, in music,reckless lyrics and a total lack of accountability on how we raise sons. That schoolboys would do this is shameful.

Thank youMa and gentlemen for showing those girls that some people care.

14. Life is eazi

May 5, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Breaks my heart. & scares me too much. I am glad the writer was able to stop them. And I am also glad they are arrested. But more needs to be done. To be so far and helpless right now. Sigh. Nigeria!

15. Veenny

May 5, 2017 at 5:46 pm

“Do these boys have sisters?
    Were these boys raised in a home with a father?”
    This is where I come in.
    There are girls in this world that have been molested by their brothers and fathers too.
    That line you used is very wrong and should never be a way of speaking up about the state of things like rape, because that line is one that has to do with sympathy. And we do not need that. Rape should never be dealt with through sympathy! Having sisters is not a good enough reason to stop rape. It is so sad and very inconsiderate to think or say that women should be considered because the criminals have sisters. We are fighting against rape for women and not for “sisters”.
    Once You stand with the idea that blood relationship should be a reason to not rape, You downplay the fact that rape is wrong! Wrong!! And nothing but more wrong!!!
    Secondly, girls are not jewels to be protected.
    This stupid mentality that women are meant to be protected by men is the same one that gives men the right to thing they can own and do to a woman whatever they like, since men are their Almighty protector!
    We teach men that they are full human beings so they go through life expressing maximum freedom and taking responsibility for themselves. But we teach girls differently and expect that they fight for themselves in times like this when all we’ve taught them is to be an egg while the men protect them like baskets. Nonsense!

Lastly I’m sad but not surprised at the people that choose to video the act. I watched a comedy show on hiptv few days ago where a comedian cracked a joke suggesting that assuming there was a detective machine, men could use it to detect the date their wives to be were born, the day they were disvirgined and the amount of abortions they had underwent.
    He concludes with the last scenario being that the machine detects a woman to have been born on may 20, 1994, in the morning and disvirgined may 20, 1994, evening.
    Now think about the meaning of that and say we are still normal to think that nobody in the crowd found nothing wrong with it. Rather, they cheered him on and laughed uncontrollably. I’m short of words!
    BN please try to get the name of the woman who witnessed and helped the girls, I’d love to keep on touch with her and assist through it. The girls are not safe. The ones in that street are not safe. The ones in both schools are not safe either.

• Queening

May 5, 2017 at 9:15 pm

I hate that rhetoric too. It actually does more harm than good. Sisters ke, fathers ko? Say that to women who have been raped and molested by same fathers, brothers and uncles. Women are human beings and that alone makes us deserving of dignity. End of discussion.

• Engoz

May 6, 2017 at 11:40 am

Brilliant comment!

16. Enny Heart Heart

May 5, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Oh my goodness me!! My heart bleeds to hear such a thing. WTF WHY!!
    I don’t even know what to say, where to start from. But lady, you’re a hero. I don’t live in Lagos and I don’t know these places you’ve mentioned, but I wish there was more I could do.
    But really what is this world turning into. Boys attacking little girls just because they think they can.

And you know what the real tragedy is, some people would actually blame the girls, in their twisted small minds they would.

Thank God you were there at the right time

17. ms lala

May 5, 2017 at 6:36 pm

It was 1997 Maryland Covent private school, and I was sitting in the famous Marian Shrine when I heard the secondary school students, whose school was behind the MCPS shouting and running. I heard screaming from the girls. I got scared, and I wasn’t sure if it was a pending riot that required my seven-year-old legs to start running or just a frenzy caused by the tuition increase. As I stared in fear and my legs stiffened, I realized the female students who ran had shredded uniforms, and some ran with sweaters tied around their waist with their skirts missing. I asked what happened to a fellow student, and she stated some of the male seniors were planning on raping the female students and that some had already fallen victims.

The adults at the shrine who came for prayers quickly responded by informing the security officers. Some adults sprung into action to protect the female students. I saw fear in their eyes, something I had never seen in a woman’s eyes. I somehow knew that one day that I too will witness such fear whenever I found myself in the midst of irrational people who possibly could intensify their terror by the act of rape. At the time, I did not know the meaning of rape. When my dad picked me up a few minutes, I somehow knew I couldn’t ask him the meaning of rape. I just knew it was a terrible act, word, and experience for anyone to endure.

We need to train our sons, brothers, nephews. This idea of having a boy and making him “King of the Hill” is affecting our society. I do not understand the concept of group think, peer pressure and gang mentality. Those young men I witnessed in 97 are now fathers, and you wonder what they teach their children.

18. Papacy

May 5, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Faking is busy nah. How can this sort of act go on in broad daylight and no one does anything. Unbelievable! Will these boys say that their classmates were “dressed seductively” ?(not that that is even a reason but just to humor me). Isn’t it the same school uniform? This obviously has been going on in older sets too. The school authorities should be held accountable. When I was in secondary school we had such an incident. The girls in my set were fearless. They named each assailant and the rest of the school shamed them to stupor. They were also suspended (or expelled can’t recall).

19. Papacy

May 5, 2017 at 6:53 pm

*Falomo

20. demashi

May 5, 2017 at 7:23 pm

I went to Ireti Primary School which is not far away from the Secondary School and the location encourages some misdemeanour. Truth is that the decay in public education is a major contributor to the lack of morals portrayed by these students. They are left to themselves and am not sure their parents care. Poverty is also a contributor as these schools are dilapidated but these guys need to be dealt with to serve as a deterrent to a brazen despicable behaviour.

21. unadite

May 5, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Security men were recording??? They all need to be arrested for their irresponsible behaviour. I won’t be surprised if they are rapists themselves. I’m sure they are. Please o, Lagos state also need to monitor the activities in the schools . Are these ones not going to be future cultists in the future?

22. Nk

May 5, 2017 at 8:43 pm

I’m in shock, and I lack words to express how I’m feeling. Those boys wiill follow their parents and also the security men will all go to their various churches this Sunday or even mosques and be praying for prosperity. Values n morals are thrown to the wind. When will we be our brother’s keeper??? “Look n pass syndrome will kill Nigerians”
    Thanks to M M, May God repair this deed n much more now and always.

23. Hey

May 5, 2017 at 10:09 pm

…… And when Chimamanda Adichie will talk everyone would want to crucify her. These are issues she has noticed and she has been ringing the warning bells but nobody listens instead they call her names, insult her and say all sorts of things. When it would begin to hit home is when it begins to affect us(in igbo we say ‘o na mee onye’) ✌

24. Hey

May 5, 2017 at 10:10 pm

“o na mee onye” if it doesn’t happen to you, you won’t understand.

25. Sugabelly

May 5, 2017 at 11:39 pm

I’ve said for years the average Nigerian man is a rapist but everyone thought I loved blowing things out of proportion.

People forget anecdotal data is still data. Just because there are no “studies” that prove what I say about rape and Nigerian boys and men doesn’t mean what I’m saying isn’t true.

The average Nigerian teenage boy or man is a rapist. And if they haven’t raped someone before, given the opportunity to not get caught they will.

That the security guards- men who are being PAID to protect people from precisely this very sort of thing enjoyed and participated in the rape by filming should tell you that the behaviour of men in Nigeria is beyond dire. These men were AT THEIR JOB but saw nothing wrong with participating in a rape attempt.

Half of you people expressing shock and horror are hypocrites anyway. Why are you surprised this is happening?

How do you treat rape victims?
    How do most of you talk about girls who come out and say I was raped by this man?
    Most of you laugh or try to poke holes in the girl’s story, or call her a liar or an attention seeker or a gold digger.

Then with the same mouth you claim anecdotal claims about rape in Nigeria are lies because there’s no data.

How will there be data when the most visible cases where a woman came out in Nigeria and said she was raped, her fellow Nigerians banded together to further destroy her life?
    Who wants to be next? Who wants to be the new “disgrace” and laughing stock?

Nobody.

So nobody reports even when something as absurd as a whole class full of boys conspiring to rape a whole class full of girls, if this lady had not SEEN what happened and done something, ALL of those girls would have gone home and KEPT THEIR MOUTHS SHUT because we all know how Nigerians treat girls who have been raped.

Don’t think Nigerian boys are blind. They see all the nasty comments you people make about rape victims and everything you say gives them strength and confidence to rape more, assault more, attack more women because you have all proven that time and time again, case after case, without fail, Nigerians love rapists and care about their wellbeing but hate rape victims.

Funny how it took an attempted mass gang rape in broad daylight for people to realise this.

Oh well.

If any of this “surprises” you, look in the mirror, you’re probably to blame.

• A Real Nigerian

May 6, 2017 at 2:22 am

Perfect comment.

• Lizzy

May 6, 2017 at 7:45 am

Good talk.
      I wonder what is in the Civic Education curriculum for secondary schools. I weep at the level of decadence in our society.

• Hey

May 6, 2017 at 11:09 am

You have just said it all.

26. Sean

May 6, 2017 at 1:11 am

We need justice!

Rape, suicide and murder is just too much globally this season, especially among the teenagers,

We need to pray for our families and this nation

27. madam peace

May 6, 2017 at 2:42 am

You said it all @ SUGABELLY. Thanks

28. Ehi

May 6, 2017 at 9:32 am

This is the reality of the monster society that we unknowingly created.

For instance I was alarmed when I learnt teachers were not allowed to use the cane in schools.

Those should be sentenced to life imprisonment.

I salute the Lady what if she said that’s not my business. God keep her for God in Jesus name. Amen

29. Abominable snow girl

May 6, 2017 at 10:46 am

God have mercy. This is too much. As I read this I am shaking so bad. Something has gone seriously wrong in our society.
    Dear Poster, you were heaven sent.
    Chai, what is happening?
    God, please cleanse our land.

30. ayo oluwa

May 6, 2017 at 11:04 am

THIS IS THE MOST SCARIEST EPISTLE I HAVE EVER READ…………………………. HOW ARE WE RAISING OUR KIDS. THAT GATE MAN NEEDS TO BE JAIL TOO…….. THIS IS DISHEARTENING JARE!!! WE HAVE MESSED GAN NI.. WE NEED JUSTICE. I HAVE 8 YRS OLD BOY I MAKE SURE HE UNDERSTAND WHAT WOMAN IS ALL ABOUT “RESPECT”. SO PATHETIC.

31. Sally

May 6, 2017 at 11:20 pm

I wonder how women can be outraged at rape yet sing along to Olamide’s story for the gods. Anytime I hear that song, I hiss & let people know that it contributes to the rape culture in Nigeria.

32. ayo

May 6, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Why y’all crying and blaming these boys? Didn’t you all sat and watch BBN naija where it was OK to show case Nudity, rape, and romance on live TV ? What did you think that will impact on the young generations? Fools.

• kess babay

May 8, 2017 at 11:25 am

You’re a sick human being to use BBN as a yardstick for condoning such disgusting behaviour