Features

Sickle Cell Day 2017: Toyin Oshinowo’s Story Kick Starts ‘Warriors’ | a Wana Udobang Production

BellaNaija.com

A warrior’s story needs to be told over and over, far and wide. It is the story of survival against the tide of pain, medical bills, and the emotional upheaval of living with sickle cell.

Today, the world honors and celebrates people living with the sickle cell disorder. The idea is to create awareness for sickle cell and to show us what it is to live with sickle cell; it is to share the story of that person who has to live with the pain that hovers.

It is this story that Wana Udobang has decided to tell with her new series titled ‘Warriors’. According to Wana, “Warriors is an interview series that takes an in-depth look into the lives and experiences of people living with Sickle Cell disease

She kicks off this series with Toyin Oshinowo – whose raw, truthful insight into her experience will leave you thinking about the sheer strength of will, mind and heart.

“Pain is complicated” – Toyin Oshinowo.

Watch Warriors – Episode 1 here on BN TV

Read Toyin’s blog here.

1. Abby

June 19, 2017 at 9:34 am

One word – BEAUTIFUL!

2. Nana

June 19, 2017 at 11:56 am

I and my ex boyfriend are both AS. I love him so much, but due to genotype issues, we had to break up.
    Everyday i feel bad for that breakup, and i miss him so bad; then i see videos like this, and i know i made the right choice

• Nunulicious

June 19, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Just so you know, with IVF you can avoid conceiving HBss children. Its pricey but it’s not out of this world expensive

• Chukwudi

June 18, 2018 at 8:31 am

Yah you did.
      would be selfish if you bring a child into this world to suffer.

3. WOG

June 19, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Remembering my late sister, I can only imagine what she went through. She passed away at the age of 22. She was very smart, witty and sweet. Watching this makes me miss her so much. I am in tears but I am sooo glad I got to know someone like her.

4. o

June 19, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Beautiful. This is my story as well. Only difference is I’m married with a child. I have also travelled and achieved a bit despite living with sickle cell. Luckily for me I got a sympathetic company, but the rigors of commuting everyday from the mainland to island and back got to me and I had to leave after 6 years. Now running my own biz and loving my life. Sickle cell is expensive I agree. I’m lucky my family and husband can afford all I need. It’s not easy living with the condition but it can be done. God help us HbSS people.

5. LadyVi

June 19, 2017 at 1:05 pm

GOD IS GREAT.

6. Yass!

June 19, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Soo inspiring! Keep soaring girl

7. Comment

June 19, 2017 at 8:21 pm

@Nana, welldone for making the hard and selfless choice. Its challenging to play lottery with the lives of innocent children. It’s a different case if you don’t know but if you do then you have to think it through very deeply.
    If enough people made your choice, we may one day see the end of this problem.
    To those advocating IVF I hope you know that it’s not that straightforward. It’s still a game of chance You can have embryos that are sickle cell and you cannot use…..There is also no guarantee of a one time success. That’s what makes IVF a very expensive venture for many in that path.
    You also have to live with the potential risks of failed birth control. It’s still a choice to make but one should be well informed and not be disillusioned.

All the best to the warriors out there raising awareness.

• Jay

June 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Anybody who is considering IVF will have all this explained to them by a doctor.

8. Oma

June 30, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Was so inspired by you Toyin.Living with sickle cell is crazy.The pain alone is worse that labour pain.,i can relate.Am a sickler but no one can ever tell unless i open up and thank God cos am pretty,fair,tall and a banker.I think the limitation is just in the mind.God has been faithful cos am hardly ill even with the work stress.

9. Oma

June 30, 2017 at 2:22 pm

than labour pain

10. Opsymops

April 30, 2018 at 1:54 am

I’ve had the sam situation too.. recently I met someone that I really liked and for the first time in my life being Sickle Cell Got to me.

Thanks for starting this .. I’m super interested in joining the Advocacy. I’ve done a few things ranging from career to social so academics. it’s time we educate Nigeria.

Kudos to everyone living with Sickle -Cell

11. Chukwudi

June 18, 2018 at 8:41 am

Touching.
    It’s not easy.
    I can relate with everything you said – hbSS.
    It is my prayer and belief that by God’s grace we will achieve our full potential in good health.