News

#Justice4ObiAmaka: How 14-year-old girl was Raped & Brutalised to Death for turning down Hoodlums’ Advances

BellaNaija.com

#Justice4ObiAmaka14-Year-Old Girl Gruesomely Raped to Death for turning down Miscreants' AdvancesA 14-year-old Obiamaka Orakwue has died after she was allegedly raped by some boys in her neighbourhood in Lagos, of whom she had earlier refused their love advances.

The deceased who was a Junior Secondary School (JSS) two student, was attacked by the boys who scaled the fence into her parent’s Abule Ado residence while she was alone at home.

According to Vanguard Obiamaka’s mother was called by neighbors who saw the miscreants leaving the house through the fence. The neighbors knocked curiously on the gate but got no response.

On arrival, her mother reportedly opened the gate with a spare key, only to find her daughter in a pool of her blood, gasping for breath. The distraught mother said when she asked Obiamaka what happened, she said it was “those boys” she had earlier told her mother about.

Unfortunately by the time she was rushed to the hospital, she was confirmed dead.

Her mother said that Obiamaka had complained about how some boys had made advances towards her when she came back on holidays from school but she turned them down and they vowed to teach her a lesson.

“It must have been the same boys that took advantage of the fact that I and my husband went to work and gained entry into the compound through the back fence of the house where they attacked my daughter,” she said.
#Justice4ObiAmaka #Justice4ObiAmaka 14-year-old Gruesomely Raped to Death for turning down Miscreants’ Advances

A relative, who spoke to Vanguard on phone, said the deceased refused to join her siblings to spend the holiday at her uncle’s place in Lekki because she wanted to assist with chores at home.

“Before the incident happened, she complained that some boys, who smoke Indian hemp in the area, were making advances at her, which she turned down. They must have targeted when her parents usually leave for work before storming the place. She has been buried at Berger Cemetery,” the relative said.

The unfortunate incident has been reported to the Police. Police sources at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja said that investigation into the incident had commenced.

Women and girl child’s rights Activist Esther Ijewere has taken up the matter and is demanding justice for the deceased using the hashtag #Justice4ObiAmaka. She posted this message on her Facebook:

Photo Credit: Facebook

1. Nuna

July 28, 2017 at 3:08 pm

When I say I dont want to have a girl, this is one of the reasons. How human beings thought it was ok to brutalize a fellow human being shows how we have generally lost all forms of humanity in this country. May God grant her soul eternal rest and may those hoodlums be caught and punished accordingly

• Justice

July 28, 2017 at 8:39 pm

You do realize that Boys get raped too? And quite at an alarming rate

This situation is very sad and I pray the culprits get found and tortured.

• ANon

July 29, 2017 at 10:24 am

@justice you do realise that a majority of male rape victims are RAPED BY MEN. I don’t have time to argue, just visit a hospital and online stats. Men are still the problem and it’s time everyone stopped being defensive and addresses it

2. Traumatized

July 28, 2017 at 3:13 pm

When your child or female ward complains about inappropriate advances please take immediate action. My maid once complained bout a relation who was acting funny towards her. I told my husband and he will not be coming to my house anymore. I don’t send her to buy stuff at least not at night. Cos na small e de start. And these boys will go on to marry someone in the future. Don’t they think? Don’t they have sisters, mothers, aunts. I remember how terrified I was when the obgyn told me I was having a girl. God help us.

3. The Real Oma

July 28, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Oh my, this is heart breaking. What kind of human beings are those? I hope they are apprehended.
    God rest y0u little one.

4. Atheist

July 28, 2017 at 3:45 pm

And someone would tell me that there is some omni potent being in the skies. Omni present and all. Aka the big g. God. ?????.
    Where the hell was he when This dastardly act took place? Oops! He must have been resting from a just concluded miracle as him waka and miraaakul work plenty. .
    Sorry love. Your “big daddy failed” you just once more! Nothing i can wish you or help you with since you are dead. Which is final. No heaven no hell.

• Fear God...

July 28, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Atheist please lay the blame where it lies – with the human beings who perpetrated the act. There is a God and he has given man a will to do as he pleases. He is good and He is just and everyone will get their due some day.

• Eve

July 28, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Your comment is heart breaking. I pray for God’s forgiveness over your life my dear.

• Ajala & Foodie

July 28, 2017 at 5:25 pm

@ Atheist, these were one the same questions I used to ask until I began understanding what the gift of free will really means.

First, let me say that I am not saying this has a “defender of God” because God does not need me or anyone “defending” him. I only write hopeful that you would read with an open mind and maybe it may help answer some questions you may have on God. Secondly, I do not write this to convict you that God exists because again I can’t and it isn’t my place or any human for that matter but again maybe it will open your mind to alternate way of viewing things.

Having said all that let me get down to it, and begin by stating unequivocally that God was there. Yes! He was there when this evil was perpetuated, like he was there at other moments in this lass’ live both the good and bad. What is happening here is we (humans) want and enjoy what free will gives us but then ask that God only keeps the good and gets rid of the bad. The truth is with the gift of free will comes the negative impact of evil, because if God was to take the bad and only give us the good then there is really no free will, is there now? We want to eat our cake and have it too and that is not possible.

We can’t want accept free will from God and not accept that there will be people who use that same gift for evil, while God’s will is that we not only choose Him but we also choose good, it also means we will have to deal with criminals like the prepetrators of this wicked and evil act, that choose evil. I read the book ” The Shack” by William P. Young and it cemented my understanding of God but I think also addresses (in words) this thought in a way I am unable to on this forum.

• Ajala & Foodie

July 28, 2017 at 5:27 pm

****This was one********

• Atheist

July 28, 2017 at 5:29 pm

“God” is good and he has the power to stop evil. But he would rather enjoy the freaking “rape and kill” show and not stop it.
      And I – a sinner, according to your so called freaking and useless holy books, would not just sit and watch a fellow human suffer – if i had all the powers to stop it.
      Kid yourselves not. God was created by man. He’s in your freaking heads! Those books are fairytales just like the cinderella story. ????

• provi

July 28, 2017 at 7:02 pm

@Atheist the place God was Wen this girl was brutalised is the same place He was Wen His son Jesus Christ was innocently killed.

• Atheist

July 28, 2017 at 7:27 pm

@Povi oh I get your point. Another sacrificial lamb.!

• nene+

July 28, 2017 at 7:46 pm

@ Atheist your assertions still means that God is omni potent. At least you know he is all powerful but you are simply disappointed which is your right. Till eternity HE has no rival!!! He kills and make alive …Deuteronomy 32.39
      Remember that God is God irrespective. We are free agent and he never promised you there will not be trials and tribulations.
      I expected you to criticize the parents who left her alone,government who failed to secure lives/properties, and you who voted APC most probably-(of course you know i must talk politics)that brought so much misfortune to Nigerians that parents now run helter-skelter in search of food, clothing and survival.
      Remember only the fool said in his heart that there is no God. You have a choice.
      Parents protect and empower your daughters and sons, teach them life saving tactics. screaming, alarming, martial acts..and to be polite and firm to every one.
      Girls are fantastic, i am a girl! No miscreant will stop us!

@ Atheist those miscreants are atheist too what do you say about that???

• Atheist

July 28, 2017 at 8:04 pm

@Nene the word “God” is in inverted commas. I dont hate God neither am i annoyed i just simply know the truth. There is not a God to hate. Like you cant hate on vacuum. Its just a notion created by man. Its all in ur heads. Its like a per8aon who said the world was round when everyone thought it was flat. I am like that person.

• LemmeRant

July 28, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Well, I hope you know Galileo Galilei was a devout Christians. In fact he believed his findings actually showed the greatness of God.

In fact quite a number of the early great men of science (the ones that actually formed the principles we rely on today) either believed in God, or the existence of some sort of Messianic, Godlike figure.

In as much as Einstein was one of the most open minded free thinkers of his time, he still believed in a God like figure and made reference to it in some of its findings.

I say this bcos a lot atheist like to insinuate that theists are gullible since the existence of God cannot be proven.

But you know what’s funny about the whole issue. Scientists cannot prove that God exist. They also cannot prove that he doesn’t exist. So scientifically they’re on the fence about the whole thing.

Which means the person who has chosen to believe in the Scientist is also exercising faith in Science since your belief cannot be proven (I.e you cannot prove God doesn’t exist). Just like the gullible Christians you like to ridicule so much who also believe in a God they cannot proof Scientifically.

So are you really that different or is your faith just in something else.

• Amaka

July 29, 2017 at 8:38 pm

U need answers to questions like these:

If God is all powerful, why does God alllow suffering ?
      Why does God not prevent bad things from happening?
      Why has God not yet destroyed those who do wrong?
      Will God end wickedness and suffering on earth?

Contact Jehovah’s Witnesses they will give u answers to questions like these using the bible OR u can visit their website jw.org
      Click the search icon on the website and type in this question Why does God allow suffering? You will see many articles that provide answers to the above questions.
      That’s what i did when i wanted answers to why God allows suffering

• Atheist

July 30, 2017 at 4:37 pm

@Amaka, that’s the whole point of religion. To make money and give fake and ridiculous answers to valid questions.

If this God claims to be omni potent and present, but can simply just folds his arms while watching undeserved torture that he very well can prevent, then he didnt create his subjects in his image. Or did he?. The heart of man is desperately wicked o. So God must be quite a wicked thing! He however claims to be a God of love.

Truth is that he is simply non existent. Or a freaking imaginary liar. Still non existent.

This same Sky daddy caused Judas Iscariot to betray Jesus then goes ahead to torment Judas Iscariot because Judas simply was a tool as part of his ultimate plan. Remember God gives free will but also controls the mind of man!

Religion simple is a ridiculous maze of lies.

Anyway, you Amaka my dear have only just made another futile attempt at making money off me .
      Kolewerk!

5. Corolla

July 28, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Sigh sigh! #Nowords

6. Mommax

July 28, 2017 at 4:25 pm

hope dey r caught…

Pls everyone ignore d nonentity……don’t waste words on d fool

7. Mommax

July 28, 2017 at 4:28 pm

….and bn u guys should just leave d comment section open without d moderation ish since u publish comments of foolish ‘nonentities ‘

8. Nene

July 28, 2017 at 5:24 pm

God! This is too sad. She shouldn’t have been left at home especially after the threat. I’m sure she was a strong girl, fought as hard as she could.

9. Mommax

July 28, 2017 at 5:42 pm

GgSo bn u didn’t publish my comment but published dis nonentity comment…… WONT BOTHER COMMENTING NEXT TIME…

• Atheist

July 28, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Pls dont comment. We need less religious bigots like you on this here platform. You are most likely an islamic terrorist. “Killing in the name of your sky daddy”. ??????. Pls pray for sky daddy to send me to hell. Ask and ye sharrrllll be givon!

• tariq

July 29, 2017 at 4:34 am

We’ll miss your comments, ode!

10. Puzzles

July 28, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Abeg, don’t lay any blame on the parents. They went to work. How would they have imagined that their daughter would be raped by strangers in their own home? And she’s 14 years old, not a toddler i.e. she’s old enough to be left at home.

Lay the blame on the evil boys that raped this innocent girl. Is it a crime to say “no” to a guy? May they be caught and killed for taking this innocent child’s life. JUSTICE!!!

• Sad

July 28, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Only in Nigeria! U can’t leave a 14 years old child at home. She is considered a child. What if there was fire outbreak or any other major emergency. How do you expect a 14 y.o. to take on such responsibility. A child should never be left on his/her own. If you say 16, I will say okay maybe for few hours. But an adult is 18. It is only an adult that can stay at home alone, and that’s he/she is psychically, emotionally and psychologically matured or okay. You can’t expect a child to take on big responsibilities. These are all the things you people do in Nigeria and get away with. Indirectly forcing kids to grow faster than their mind or expectation can cope with.

With all that said, I can’t blame the parents, this is a very dicey situation. I am only writing this because you lots here are encouraging this by saying it is acceptable to leave a child at home. IT ISNT! You people need to Please Stop Leaving Kids at Home by Themselves! And DON’T Encourage It! this is a BIG lesson learnt. Other parents should see this as a lesson too. Nigerian parents are too fond of believing hustling for money, sending kids to school and etc money can buy is what they need for parenting. They tend to get carried away with their hustle for survival that they often neglect their kids subconsciously. Taking risks by leaving their kids alone or with all sort of people, yes, including family which mostly end up in abuse and other sort of crazy things.

This is so so sad. Even with so called burglar proof they got in and this little girl is gone.

That’s why one need to think carefully about this child rearing. Plus also think carefully about how many one can raise, financially, emotionally, spiritually, quality time-wise and how ones job or ambition can affect their child. It is a huge sacrifice some women have to make by becoming housewives/stay at home mum while some mums constantly feel guilty trying to figure out how to protect their kids and also earn for self-satisfaction and survival. I still wonder how I will do it. Because I love to work yet I also want to be a mum and the fear of all these atrocious things happening makes me wonder how I will protect my children. May God guide and help us all.

And yes, God gave freedom of will. It comes with both good and bad. Just because one is of good character doesn’t mean the next person is. So one has to be prayerful as well as be careful.

Parents stop leaving your children at home alone. Make sure you leave them with people you trust, people that are aware of your expectations, people who know abuse and any form of it etc are wrong, people who you know will protect your kids because they are aware of all these atrocities. I know that it is hard but by also allowing your kids to speak up at home and teaching them what to look out for will help you fish out who to never leave them with or stop leaving them with. Very tough! Parenting is tough! May God give the little girl’s soul peace.

11. Ephi

July 28, 2017 at 5:43 pm

The question is have those hoodlums been arrested? Justice needs to be done and they need to be found and made to pay for this crime committed. Animals in human skin will always be in every society and that is why we need the right systems and structures in place to lock up such animals away from normal people.

May God console her loved ones. This could have been anyone, a cousin, niece or sister. Very sad.

12. Lailatu

July 28, 2017 at 6:02 pm

I have tried to ignore this story, I have tried to explain it, to say if only she or her parents had done this or that. But neither she nor her parents did anything wrong. Sometimes horrible things happen to good people and the only people at fault are the evil criminals. 14 years is not too young to be left at home and parents can not run after every man that makes advances on their daughters. Sometimes bad things just happen because some people are evil. Rest In Peace dear girl?

13. zzzzzzzzzzz

July 28, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Neither she nor her parents are to blame, it is really unfortunate that this happened, thank God someone has taken up the matter. I wonder what ever happened to the other 19 year old girl that was raped at Beger last year by some area boys, I just pray and hope her matter has not died down like others?

14. AceOfSpades

July 28, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I think there should be a way to publicize punishment given to rapists. If a potential rapist can know what happened to one John, Peter and David that raped, then he’ll be scared to rape. Just a thought

15. 7nade

July 28, 2017 at 7:55 pm

@Athiest is dumber than ARN!

16. Favou

July 28, 2017 at 8:45 pm

@atheist…you can’t question my God,whether you love Him or not,whether you believe him or not…He is still God,check the lines in your palm can someone else create that, the lines are never the same with another person, it’s unique, do its DNA. He does what He pleases and knows when best to deliver.

17. Jane

July 28, 2017 at 9:02 pm

OMG! This is so sad. May her soul RIP and the perpetrators of this crime not go unpunished. I cringed as I read some comments. Some wishing they had no female child ( I can tell you about male children that were raped too, or is it better to have evil male children that can be Alpha males and wreck their lives ). Secondly some were playing the blame game ( did you read that they scaled the fence and broke into the house?). Thirdly ( atheist have u asked yourself who made man, or where humans go to when they die or how there is sun and nature, I bet u rather believe some basic hogwash out there ), well some day you would get it.
    Everyone this is about justice for the girl, to make sure those that committed this evil pay. To rid our economy of hoodlums and further cases like this.

• nene+

July 28, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Leave atheist jare, threaten him now and he will scream God loudest! If there was no God, he wont be talking about Him.
      God is God and atheist know so!

18. hadiza

July 28, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Men are wicked. Very wicked beings. With men in this world, women can never know peace. Worthless gender?????. RIP dear.

19. wtf!

July 28, 2017 at 10:02 pm

I’m so sad right now. Why? For what? Please justice should be served. Please God! Please NFP! Please Nigeria, please!

20. Fabulous B

July 28, 2017 at 11:21 pm

This really scares me. They were able to break the burglary sef. Ahhhh!
    I’m sorry Jesus Christ for this fear that I brought upon myself

21. Bithiah

July 31, 2017 at 9:07 am

So tragic!!! We really cannot blame anyone but action ought to have been taken when the girl reported the hoodlums to her mum before the tragic incidence, maybe reporting to the police or office of the public defender. God knows best. I pray the perpetrators are caught . May her soul rest in peace.

22. I love Shea butter.

July 31, 2017 at 9:32 pm

May her soul rest in peace. It such a painful exit. God will comfort her parents and make the offenders unrest.