News

I have not stolen from Nigeria – Diezani

BellaNaija.com

I have not stolen from Nigeria - Diezani - BellaNaijaFormer Petroleum Minister Allison Madueke-Diezani has said that she has never stolen from the Federal Government of Nigeria.

She said this in a statement issued by her yesterday, Daily Post reports.

Diezani said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has never served her with an order or any evidence linking her to the recovered funds.

She has said that the Banana Island properties also do not belong to her, saying: “I cannot forfeit what was never mine.”

Read the full statement below:

I wish to state I cannot forfeit what was never mine.

I do not know the basis on which the EFCC has chosen to say that I am the owner of these funds as no evidence was provided to me before the order was obtained, and they have not, in fact, served me with the order or any evidence since they obtained it.

Let me re-state categorically as I have always maintained, for the record, I have not and will never steal money from or defraud the Federal Government of Nigeria. I am willing to respond to charges brought against me that follow duly laid down procedures.

Let me once again state for the record that this is another figment of the author’s imagination, which, given the persistent bid to ensure my destruction and stick all of the sins of the corruption that plagued oil and gas sector in the last 30 years upon my head, probably emanated from the EFCC itself.

Let me clear the history of OPL 245, otherwise known as Malibu. You will find a full chronology in the attached report that I made to the House of Representatives in late 2011 (Annex 2A/Annex-2B).

In 2010, shortly after I was appointed as Minister of Petroleum Resources, the issue of OPL 245 was brought to my attention. I looked into the case and immediately became aware of the inherent and long standing sensitivities around this issue.

It became clear from the onset that this case was not within the direct purview of the Minister of Petroleum Resources, but, in the main, was centered around issues of law.

By this time, there was already an International Centre for Settlement of Investment Dispute (ICSID) investigation and claims against the FGN running into billions of dollars.

Therefore, we took directives from the Chief Legal Officer of the nation; the Attorney General and Minister of Justice. In all of these matters due process was followed to the letter at all times.

I wish to categorically state that I have never held any discussions on this matter, with any individuals or entities outside of official channels.

As Minister of Petroleum Resources, I did not participate in any activity relating to financial payments on the Malibu matter, other than those statutorily mandated to the Minister of Petroleum Resources by the Petroleum Act.

My role in this matter was purely a statutory, one as required by law in the Petroleum Act 3.

In response, I have chosen not to insult, accuse or demonize any person or persons. In spite of all the allegations that have been made against me, not one has been factually proven.

I remain very proud of the fact that all the policies, tenets and plans that I initiated in the oil and gas sector are still underpinning the entire structure. This is because they were put in place with the good of the entire nation and its people in mind.

They were not factional or tribal, neither were they based on religious bias.

I am a woman from the Niger Delta, who, through perseverance and sheer hard work rose to one of the highest positions in the country’s premier international oil company, and in tune with my ethos of hard work, I earned the prestigious British Foreign and Commonwealth Chevening Scholarship Award and was, thereafter, admitted to my MBA programme at the World renowned Cambridge University.

1. Spunky

August 15, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Phewwww! This issue ie exhausting.

• patty boo

August 15, 2017 at 5:03 pm

U can say that again, I hope they get to the bottom of this

• Wale Vintage

August 15, 2017 at 10:03 pm

When did going to a prestigious school nullify the possibility of being a thief or otherwise. ala cocaine head FFK. Madam you laundered money through your many boyfriends and cronies. Money that belonged to the Nigerian people, madam you are a THIEF! Banza.

2. Lilo

August 15, 2017 at 4:46 pm

That’s not what Kola Aluko and Jide Omokore said tho…

3. ogeAdiro

August 15, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Nigerians found an easy target in you. Their house is on fire and they’re still looking for their slippers. I’m yet to see one coherent allegation against you. Nigeria totally deserves Buhari and his ilk. People like Charlie Boy are still trying to explain to Nigerians why they should be mad! How is that even possible? Buhari is showing us that we ain’t worth shit.

4. slice

August 15, 2017 at 5:38 pm

She is making sense. They should show us proof

5. Olu

August 15, 2017 at 6:02 pm

LOL. After how many years. This is getting interesting. Watching Nigeria is like watching a live movie in 4D. Popcorn on hand. Let’s go there.

6. Oma

August 15, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Bella Naija pls post about the Oni divorce saga now

7. E

August 15, 2017 at 7:35 pm

And I am the president of nigeria

8. Dainty

August 15, 2017 at 7:36 pm

She has not stolen from Nigeria and I am not breathing.

9. ND Babe

August 15, 2017 at 9:08 pm

If she has stolen then it means that she took away from other thieves and they want her head on a pike for it. It is normal in this forsaken place for public officials including Buhari to favor themselves and family members in deals related to portfolios under their command, and especially oil. That she is from Niger Delta seems to be her curse. If she was from elsewhere, we wont be hearing all this Diezani shit. I am all for fighting corruption. But let us ask all those who cannot demonstrate benefiting from favoritism to return all their oil wealth.

10. ND Babe

August 15, 2017 at 9:10 pm

…let us ask those who cannot demonstrate NOT benefiting from favoritism to return their oil wealth.

11. nnenne

August 15, 2017 at 9:50 pm

APC and propaganda!
    We don’t know what is what anymore!

12. Oprah

August 15, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Stfu! Diezani. You were supposed to be a role model but no,greed won’t allow.
    This is all fucked up

13. Emeka Ugo

August 16, 2017 at 12:56 am

Efcc should show us proof that those houses actually belongs to her. The should stop all these media stories about this and that. Am not saying that she is a saint either but if efcc is saying she owns all these properties then the should be able to back there story with proof. Even as an undergraduate, masters or phd student schooling abroad you don’t just ciate anything, you must reference where you got that information from.

14. kenz

August 16, 2017 at 7:51 am

say what????????????

15. Ilovediezani

August 16, 2017 at 10:25 am

I believe her. My guts tells me she is innocent. The media lies a lot and Nigerians are so so gullible to believe everything the media says. I have followed this woman’s story from OPEC days and she is a good person. she is my role model.

16. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

August 16, 2017 at 7:46 pm

That’s why it is good to catch a thief on time. Because if you don’t, the thief will attempt to run away or deny being a thief. Allison Madueke- Diezani there’s God ooooooooooooo. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying..

17. oloye1

August 18, 2017 at 8:34 am

Nigerians generally ni…they lie like empty heads