Features

Should a guest order something cheap during a food date or host pick an affordable venue?

BellaNaija.com

Food entrepreneur @fireofola in a tweet earlier this week, urged ladies to only order the cheapest meal on the menu or what their host is having in a food date, saying they should be “considerate of his pockets”.

She added that although the guy would not oblige, ladies should still ask to pay part of the bill.

A male user @enclaudeneuf however, disagreed, chiefly because, a guy should not take any woman to a place he can’t afford.

BellaNaijarians, what are your thoughts? Should people only have the cheapest meal on the menu or at least what their host is having on a date? Should people only invite someone to a date at a place they can afford? Is there something else one should do in this situation? What if the guest picked the venue? What if the guest genuinely do not like the cheap meals on the menu?

1. Curious

September 8, 2017 at 1:32 am

Its possible to take someone to a “cheap place” and the person orders excessively. I think it depends on the mindset of the persons involved. A guy could take a lady out to a fanciful place to create an impression…. And a guy could also take a lady to a fanciful place, just because it’s nice and the environment aids romance. I think many a times we loose focus and emphasize on the wrong things. If you are going on a date the most important thing should be the moments shared and the quality it brings to your life. It doesn’t matter if its a walk in the park…or chilling out at your favorite banga rice spot. Money might eventually be able to buy all these nice things in time…but it can never recreate or buy the feeling of looking into the eyes of someone you love and knowing that feeling is mutual. It can’t buy the feeling you feel when you are wrapped in his arms or when she puts her head on your chest…?emm…excuse me please. I think someone has triggered my romance mode….

• BlueEyed

September 8, 2017 at 8:39 am

Well said! Too much importance is placed on the food and the cost that the real experience is lost.

2. June

September 8, 2017 at 2:43 am

Abeg. Too many rules. Eat and be merry! Life is short. If someone invites you out on a date. Order what you want. That being said , always have your own money to pay for whatever it is that you decided to order. Make every dining experience count!

3. Chinwe

September 8, 2017 at 7:03 am

It really depends on who you take out… some ladies will order based on price while others will order based on their food choice. but why take a lady to a resturant you cant afford? A guy should have enough funds for such a place and then pray he is taking a sensible person out who wouldn’t be excessive. But i dont buy the idea of asking a lady to wait for the host to place order and then ask for the same thing… not necessary… we should also learn to start spliting cost once in a while.. it helps to promote a more relaxed atsmophere for true friendship to breed instead of one party feeling overwhelmed.

4. kenz

September 8, 2017 at 8:18 am

you all missing her point……… her point is base on the person (the lady) that was taken out…. and it is for her to be considerate to pevent things from going awkward and having a nice outing…..

• Diamond

September 8, 2017 at 8:43 am

She made no sensible point, just dumb opinion. Cheapest menu, offer to pay part of the bill, wtf is that?
      There are men that ‘test’ women when they take them out. She suit such men.

5. Mz_Danielz

September 8, 2017 at 8:33 am

I order what I can pay for but I never offer to pay. What’s that rubbish? Guys abeg, respect yourselves and plan dates around your pocket. If you are creative, you can think up fun stuff

6. June

September 8, 2017 at 9:38 am

In Chimamanda’s voice –
    We teach girls to shrink their RESTAURANT FOOD ORDERS, to make them SMALLER. We say to girls, you can ORDER”, but NOT TOO MUCH. You should aim to eat a good meal, but not too much. Otherwise, you would threaten the man.

• Lanya

September 8, 2017 at 9:47 am

LOL, can we be friends?

• faisim

September 8, 2017 at 12:45 pm

love this

• critique

September 8, 2017 at 2:30 pm

you clearly don’t understand chimamanda

• June

September 8, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Heyyy friend @ Lanya ?!

7. June

September 8, 2017 at 9:39 am

“??????” the emojis I forgot to add

8. Lanya

September 8, 2017 at 9:51 am

I love food a whole lot. So if a man wants to take me on a date, I’ll order whatever I want on the menu and I’ll eat till I’m full. If he’s managing funds then his brain should tell him to pick a place he can afford so we can actually have fun and not have to do bodmas (kill and divide) with somebody’s menu.

9. LemmeRant

September 8, 2017 at 10:16 am

If you’re not up for it financially but still wants to do a fancy restaurant. Life is too short abeg.

Don’t take a girl out to a fancy restaurant on the first date or if its a girl you’re still getting to know to avoid embarrassment, and when I say embarrassment, I don’t only mean her ordering for what you can’t cover, embarrassment can come in different forms – cuz not every good looking, “phone” speaking babe out there can comport themselves properly in a fancy restaurant.

@Diamond
    Make no mistake, all men do this except they just want to smash and run (even that is arguable). When I say I’d like to get to know you, I don’t just mean what you tell me about yourself, from experience those are usually lies.
    Like it or not, what you order on the first date says a lot about your character, upbringing etc. Just like how you handle yourself, how you address the waiter, lol especially the kind of English you speak. Whether you offer to split the bill, so on so on…

10. Thatgidigirl

September 8, 2017 at 10:18 am

Some women are steady bending and twisting to seek approval from men which they never get. She can as well tell ladies to cook at home, put it in a food flask and take it on a date with them….afterall there’s rice at home.

11. ***

September 8, 2017 at 11:11 am

I like the progressive pace the world is on …. soon women will take on the task of asking men on dates and see how easy it is to plan a date on a budget (which will be the situation of very many women) … how many people can afford to throw money around? You can’t be ordering 60k champagne on the first date because he ‘asked’ you out … things should be as conservative and frugal as possible on the first date (exercising constraint no matter how tempting it looks is good manners) until the bond tightens and you understand his pocket and personality (not every wealthy person is ostentatious) no room for gluttony and wild adventure of eating and drunkeness on a first date.
    Then men too, stop taking women to fancy places you can’t afford, it is a foolish undertaking
    Focus on getting to know each other and stop looking out for pardonable ‘bad’ table etiquette like if he/she got the dessert spoon right … no extremely personal questions and if during the course of the date, you both can’t have an utterly dumb conversation with silly references and retarded jokes in between your intelligent topics then your date was BORING in my opinion lol these are my first date principles lol … TGIF people

• lulu

September 11, 2017 at 11:32 am

hahahaha I’m weak

12. iyke

September 8, 2017 at 12:54 pm

The dating market ( exploring a mutual spark of attraction) has much in common with business. If you want to attract a partner you have to offer a fair deal.
    If you want a traditional oriented dating/relationship where you lead, you should lead in the dating – by requesting dates, escalating intimacy, and paying.
    If you want an equal relationship, it might be best to initially break from the traditional dating script, let the woman ask and pay first, then let the man ‘get the next one’. This sends the signal clearly for both equality and reciprocity. Power and leadership will be more clearly shared as a result.
    As a trado – cosmopolitan breed, per first date, I will opt for coffee or a light dinner at an upbeat, brightly lit restaurant, not a five-course meal at a secluded, candlelit table. I will offer to pay since I asked for the date.
    Given that, a traditional courtship with a later non-traditional relationship is the best of both worlds for a woman, I am not going to fall for that bait. If you want equality, pay/ split the bills and roll like that. If you want me to lead and be assertive, then I own the power.

13. bea

September 11, 2017 at 2:10 pm

The only one i read was …………offer to pay he will say no…….

My friend you are on your own what if he does not say no?