BN TV

“Is it fair for a man to solely pay the bills in the home” – #GreyRoomNG’s First Episode sparks debate on #TwitterNG | WATCH

BN TV

The Grey Room is a new show where young people come in and debate on common topics derived from the society.

In this Episode the cast talk about how fair it is that men bear the brunt of paying most/all of the bills in a conventional household.

What is your take on this? Do share your thoughts in the comment section.

Watch the video below:

1. mywifeisfiiiiiiiiiiiine

October 3, 2017 at 12:38 am

It is only when it comes to money that Nigerian women remember a man is the head of the household. Sense since 19gborodom

2. mimamima

October 3, 2017 at 1:34 am

that guy that kept on saying “what are you saying, what are you saying, what are you saying, what” lmao…. just cracked me up

3. nnenne

October 3, 2017 at 4:03 am

Don’t generalize!
    Nigerian wemen, educated or not, does a lot more, but under the carpet.

• nnenne

October 3, 2017 at 4:11 am

Meant…do a lot more….

• john

October 3, 2017 at 7:20 am

And can u pls list those special things they are doing under the carpet?

4. Peejay

October 3, 2017 at 6:15 am

Well that might be true.

But most of what happens at home is a reflection of what happens in the society. The society has come to believe that women are properties and treat them as such. A woman and a man gets interviewed for a job they end up picking the man. A woman wants to become a carrier woman they say she is competing with the husband. She is forced to take a back seat and rely on the husband. She is made to bear children and take care of the home front.

However, I am one person who thinks a woman should work and support her family financially. My mother did that, my sisters are doing that, when I get married I will do that, even now I am supporting my Bobo.

But truly the society is the reason why it appears that women are relegating that responsibility to the men

• Nike

October 4, 2017 at 11:19 am

I couldn’t have said it better, there is hope in the world. The ‘unfairness’ is just a manifestation of sexism and gender roles in our society.

5. Momotaro

October 3, 2017 at 7:27 am

I don’t know about y’all but most of the women I know are actually the breadwinners of their families.

• Moniker

October 3, 2017 at 9:30 am

Sorry to say. But youdon’tknow real men.

• Jade

October 3, 2017 at 1:28 pm

@ moniker
      There are real men who are not breadwinners. It depends on the individual income. Nursing is a lucrative field and naija women hijacked it. My mom
      Is a nurse practitioner and step dad studied finance/MBA. She makes twice his income. And she’s the one with the lavish lifestyle, so she’s the breadwinner.
      My step dad contributes too.
      It will be stupid to put all the financial on my sd knowing he doesn’t make as much as my mom.
      Both parties should contribute one way or the other no matter what unless the woman is a stay home mom.

• slice

October 3, 2017 at 2:03 pm

No they didn’t hijck it. Male nurses are in high demand. Your sd can go back to school and study nursing like your mom did it go do IT which is also in high demand.

6. Anonymous

October 3, 2017 at 9:26 am

Women can share responsibilities with men financially but its only fair that men share domestic responsibilities too.Most men in this side of the world wants a woman that is financially independent so she can foot some of the bills but they are not ready to assist on the home front like making dinner while she is yet to come back and you get back first , instead they sit watching tv etc. It makes no sense if i am your help mate , i am suppose to help you and not take over from you.Most times women do much more because they tend to go the extra mile once its for the home especially when children are involved.

• Weezy

October 3, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Exactly. If you want the financial responsibilities to be shared, then share the cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping and child rearing.

Simple as that.

• Nike

October 4, 2017 at 11:29 am

Preach it

7. bokun

October 3, 2017 at 10:55 am

Until such a time when men begin to mensturate, ovulate, carry pregnancy to term, go through labour, instrumental delivery, c/sections, breastfeed baby yes until such a time then in my opinion a man with his muscula built, iron rich haemoglobiin stores plus the natural drving force from testestrone should be happy to pay the bills. Women who crave the extra responsibiliy of being super women should be allowed to. My take typos and all.

8. CHIKA

October 3, 2017 at 11:59 am

@Anonymous just said most of it for me. Like I don’t mind splitting bills in the home but can we split every other responsibilities too? As a person, I find dignity in being a supportive partner that contributes in every sense in a relationship but I simply do not want to be taken for granted nor have someone try to outsmart me. Lets not forget the place of efforts in all these, they are still priceless!

9. wendy

October 3, 2017 at 2:56 pm

@slice, Why Should her dad go back to study nursing? For what? her Step day will eventually end up with a high paying job one day. Her mum and Stepdad are probably earning same income if you take away the overtime. Nurses don’t earn that much money. It is the overtime that makes it look like they are earning alot….

• slice

October 3, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I didn’t say he should. I said he can. Saying I can’t bringuch because if what I studied is an excuse if you can increase your pay by going back to school. I hear Nigerian guys saying women make more because they were nurses. Many of those women didn’t study nursing at first. They returned to school to help themselves. Men can do that too. And without overtime, nurses make decent pay

10. mama

October 3, 2017 at 3:21 pm

my man solely pays all the bills and is not complaining because he can afford it,,so i save my own coins …..but i cook and clean and do school runs isn’t that enough contribution from me …and the saved coins may come in handy one day

11. Hawt Talk With Tosan

October 3, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Is it fair for a woman who works 9 to 5 like her husband and contributes to the household income to be the only one cooking and cleaning for the home?

12. ogeAdiro

October 3, 2017 at 4:38 pm

The shouting is too much.

13. yaya

October 3, 2017 at 5:28 pm

is it also fair for a woman to do all the house chores, cooking and caregiving herself? until people understand that marriage is a patnership,in which roles can be shared or all roles are played side by side by both parties. Any man wanting me to contribute to finance should be ready to contribute to house chores and cooking and taking care of the kids. That’s y at least 60% of nigerian marriages, have their women looking older/stressed than the men. How many times do u see women leave their homes to go out and chill with whoever on a regular but the men do that like its their right…..i’m so pained by the inequality that is the marriage, it’s supposed to be a partnership for chrissakes!!

14. AceOfSpades

October 4, 2017 at 1:18 am

Women sha. First you say men get all the job because employers are sexist then you say women are breadwinners in majority of Naija homes. There’s a disconnect. Pick your side let’s know

• Idomagirl

October 5, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Do you need to have a job before earning an income? Never heard of running a business?
      I hope you know the informal economy (Google is your friend) is predominantly made up of women.