BN TV

Joyce Meyer is Considering Getting a Tattoo & Here’s Why | WATCH

BellaNaija.com

A video published by Joyce Meyer Ministries two weeks ago where the preacher defended tattoos, is now trending on the internet.

Joyce Meyer, in the 8-minute video culled from one of her conferences kicked off explaining the difference between being holy and religious.

“Holiness is not legalism,” Meyer said, adding that holiness has become not drinking, not smoking, not dancing, not wearing makeup, not wearing jewelry, not having tattoos e.t.c and that these rules of religion are making a mess of what holiness truly is.

Defending the use of tattoos, Meyer quoted Isaiah 44:5 which said: “One will say, I am the Lord’s; and another will call himself by the name of Jacob; and another will write [even brand or tattoo] upon his hand, I am the Lord’s, and surname himself by the [honorable] name of Israel.”

She also quoted Leviticus 19:28 which she said has been misquoted and has been used as a reason to call tattoos a sin. The scripture says: “Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD.”

Meyer added that “The Bible says in Isaiah 49 that God has a picture of you tattooed on the palm of His hand.”

She continued, saying: “I’m right on the verge of going and getting a tattoo,” she added, pointing to her shoulder blade and saying “Right back here, ‘I belong to the Lord’.”

“I thought I might as well just push all the religious people right off the cliff and just get it over with,” she added. “Why would I do that (get a tattoo)? Just to make religious demons mad, no other reason,” she said.

Meyer added:

I lived in so much bondage from legalism. Everything in legalism is about something you can not do. Let me tell you something — it is not boring to serve Christ, it is so much fun and there’s so much you can do and not only that, you can enjoy all of it!

Here’s the bottom line, it’s all about your motives and how you are doing things. We can’t look at the outside of somebody and decide for ourselves that they’re an evil person … That’s why so many people today don’t want anything to do with the church ’cause all they get is criticism and judgement.

Watch the video below:

1. SImi

March 30, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Me too, gurl, me too.

2. Allwell

March 30, 2018 at 1:59 pm

For me, it’s not about whether it is right or wrong. it is more of going extreme and I don’t like that. Being moderate is best for me.

• Tony

March 30, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Who defines extreme please. Good thing u mention for u as long u don’t judge others. What’s moderate for u can be deemed extreme for others. In a nutshell religion has become so judgemental especially in Africa. We need more preachers and Christians who read the Bible in full not quote selective verses which serve their interests. Most times it’s the man of God said….

3. Cozygal

March 30, 2018 at 3:50 pm

If the motive for getting a tattoo is to make the legalistic or religious person mad, then I don’t know what kind of motive that is.

At some point or the other (almost irrespective of religion/faith, but I’ll speak of the one I know well) we were all legalistic to an extent. It’s why the same Apostle Peter (the first pope as catholics say), the one who led the disciples after the resurrection avoided eating with the uncircumcised Christians. Paul needed to put him straight.
    I’ve learnt to not be mean to legalistic people. We all operate from the level of our understanding. I’ll rather tell you how much the Holy Spirit has opened my eyes to see that some of our actions are really about us still trying to earn our salvation/righteousness.

Like Allwell said, about being moderate, I believe that maturity in Christianity is when we begin to adopt a moderate lifestyle. No one is saying be poor, be scruffy, or be unfashionable. But when you read and understand some of Paul’s letters, you understand that God wants us to live a life that doesn’t put away even the weak in Christ, whether they are being legalistic or over the top. Christianity isn’t about living for our own pleasure. Jesus didn’t live for His pleasure. Christianity is about living for God and for others ( a selfless life). When we live this way, God in turn takes care of our lives.

• Allwell

March 31, 2018 at 7:23 am

Very good. Your comment speaks about the book of 1 Corinthians, I still read it yesterday. The issue of defining moderate and extreme in lifestyle is all about maturity and understanding. Nobody will tell you what is moderate and what is extreme, you have to work it out by yourself. The kind of peace that comes from applying moderateness in the things you do cannot be overemphasized.

• Seriously

March 31, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Great point. It’s interesting to me how everybody likes to talk down, attack Christianity but nobody talks about the extreme practices, judgment, legalistic ways other religions do. I can’t imagine an imam saying he will deliberately go against something to prove a point and get other religious muslims upset.
      “Christians” are trying too hard nowadays to be liberal and please everybody. They are trying to be “too cool”. I believe salvation is more about the heart, but if others see tattoos as wrong so what. Just live your life.

If a tattoed person works into an office, he’s immediately seen as unserious, irresponsible because there’s a negative connotation attached to it by society. So, it’s not just religious folks who frown or judge.
      Joyce meyers do whatever you want to do with your life. However, don’t mix up God’s word with your own motives and pettiness.
      If you believe other christians judge others why don’t you be the better example of welcoming tattoos, body piercing folks to your church. Intentional act to provoke is wrong and unnecessary.

4. Mamamia

March 30, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Wrong is wrong and right is right but God be the judge of us all…

• Lol

March 30, 2018 at 5:06 pm

First fillers then tattoos…whatever turns you on.

5. tunmi

March 30, 2018 at 4:32 pm

girl yes!!!

I’m thinking of getting one either around my wrist or on the inner part of my arm

• Yumz

March 30, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Lmaoo my exact reaction! Yasss! I’ve really been thinking about getting one on my wrist or on my shoulder blade. I know what I want to write, I’ve just been holding myself back

6. Cozygal

March 30, 2018 at 5:24 pm

?

• Cozygal

March 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Today I experienced bella’s comment deleting/disapproval twice. I’m surprised you guys didn’t delete the smilie. We can’t all be lovers of Joyce and her practices.
      ?? who send me. Bellateam, una well done o. You won.

• Cozygal

March 30, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Lol. I can’t believe this. So after my small complain, you posted? Kai!

7. Ephi

March 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm

“I thought I might as well just push all the religious people right off the cliff and just get it over with,” she added. “Why would I do that (get a tattoo)? Just to make religious demons mad, no other reason,” she said

That is a wack reason to do something. You are not doing it to bring glory to God but rather to get people mad, and make a point to what end? And are people the ones she’s refering to as ‘religious demons’? Na wa.

8. Cocolette

March 30, 2018 at 6:15 pm

“All things are lawful, but not all things are expedient…”

• Ada_ugo

March 31, 2018 at 7:29 am

thank you. with the following she has, she needs to be careful what she does. It may not be sin for her, but it may push many shaky Christians overboard. like Paul said, if eating meat would cause his brother to sin, he would stop eating meat.
      wisdom is profitable to direct.

9. gbaskelebo

March 30, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Paul explains this thing in one of his epistle, I believe that was about eating food offered to idols, that it was not wrong in itself but for the sake of those growing in faith don’t! I think she should borrow a cue from Paul’s view. which is to walk in brotherly love and not to use her liberty in Christ as an occasion for offending a brother or sister who is weak in their faith! What do I know? Sound the tuba joor!

10. Ajala & Foodie

March 30, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Who decides what is considered moderate? I remember when I first got into college most of my friends were from the Caribbean. I remember going to a school dance and one of them wore something at the time i considered real skimpy, another friend from the same country thought it was very moderate considering what they usually wear. So I say who decides what is moderate. With Nigerians if it is not “baby na back” it is inappropriate, some churches even consider pants i.e trousers inappropriate so again pray tell who decides what is considered moderate?

What we fail to realize is that legalism as taken over the church like Ms. Meyer said and I am not even a Joyce Meyer fan!!! and this is not only in Nigeria. I have seen it everywhere. The legalistic ones are also the loudest ones and the figures i.e representatives we see and hear about in society. For example, when Beyonce announced having twins I know someone who said on Social Media that pretty much she does not believe Beyonce deserved to be in the “twin mum’s club” why? because she was not a Christian and did not sing the kind of songs these Christian would love to hear. These are the type of people we have in the church today and no, this is a full blooded Caucasian, so it is not peculiar to Nigerians or Africans. Who have turned Christianity into a clique with certain rules and regulations if you cannot play by those rules you are not welcome to join these “elite club” and the rest of us are just bound for hell!!!

We (Christians) are quick to bash many Muslims by declaring that the extremists are the loudest/well known group within Islam and that many non extremists are not doing enough to speak up against these extremists. Yet, we fail to admit that legalism has taken over the Church, many of us are no better than the Pharisees and Scribes of Jesus’ days and they in my opinion are just as bad as the extremists we condemn in Islam. The legalistic Christians are the ones that are mostly heard which is why many people stay away from the Church. When people like Ms. Meyer take a stand against said group instead of applauding we start looking for excuses. i.e oh it should not be about making a statement and I ask why the heck not???
    It takes making a major stand publicly to say No!!! When Paul corrected Peter in the Bible he did not do it in a private setting or meeting, he condemned him publicly why? because Peter has a head was leading many astray just like these legalistic leaders are doing today. It is what we are asking of many Muslims and their leaders, If we cannot hold ourselves to the same standard then that in itself is hypocritical and we are no better then the so called “silent” Muslims we are calling out.

11. BlueEyed

March 31, 2018 at 6:24 am

She is definitely right about more and more people not wanting to join the Christian faith, so Christians how about you tweak some of your legalistic and judemental mindsets, Jesus did not die for you to be a Christian alone, Jesus did not die so that salvation would end with you alone. With every coming generation Christianity is been thrown out and you think that your self proclaimed “ holiness” is doing you any good? Wake up from your slumber, read your Bible, understand Jesus for yourself and don’t be a hypocrite.

12. Ada_ugo

March 31, 2018 at 7:23 am

this is why people should be careful. read your Bible and follow your convictions. Stop the copying game. You wouldn’t believe how many women in the world wear makeup for no other reason than “Joyce Meyer wears makeup”; they wear trouser because Joyce Meyer wears trouser”… they don’t tie scarf to church because “Joyce Meyer preaches with no scarf on”… on judgement day will Joyce Meyer be standing next to you?if you’re gonna do something, do it because you are convinced it is right. I think way too many people are looking up to her; perhaps it is weighing too heavily on her so she is deciding to go this route. If there is any lesson to come out of this, it should be that christian women should stop copying Joyce Meyer or anyone else out there, and learn to look unto Jesus 0 the author and finisher of our faith.

13. Mona

April 1, 2018 at 12:05 am

Did anyone read Leviticus 19:28 ?
    It most certainly tells us not mark our body for the dead. (You will see a period which end the first statement. But in the next sentence it says not to put ANY marks on your body! ( a separate command)

14. Pat

April 1, 2018 at 1:04 am

Meyer added that “The Bible says in Isaiah 49 that God has a picture of you tattooed on the palm of His hand.” But that doesn’t necessarily mean he has a physical tatoo on his hand. This could mean that you are close to me in his heart or he knows everything about you.

15. Lily

April 2, 2018 at 7:43 pm

I wonder what scriptures Joyce Meyer would give us to justify her Face-lifts? lol