BN TV

“Black Women are Just as Beautiful as White Women” – Watch Tobi Oredein’s Talk at TEDxTottenham on BN TV

Tobi Oredein is a writer and an international public speaker from London. A graduate of Kings College London, she started her career in entertainment journalism working for TVTimes, Daily Mail and Look magazine.

Her real-life experience of shopping is the basis for her idea about how the dynamics of the media, and as a consequence society, views and treats women based on race. In this thought-provoking talk, Tobi suggests that if the media prioritised the views of black and minority ethnic women, society would be more forthcoming when having a conversation about race, racism and the differing lived experiences.

Watch

1. OA

March 21, 2018 at 1:34 am

Hmmmm! Can’t put my finger on it, but that statement “Black women are just as beautiful as white women” does not sit well with me. Maybe I should watch the video first sha. I see it as, there are black women and there are white women and some black women are beautiful just as some white women are beautiful. Shikena!

• Rahama

March 21, 2018 at 10:19 am

My thoughts exactly. That’s why the phrase ‘Black is beautiful’ irritates me. Must you repeat it to yourself to make yourself feel better about being black? Do you hear other races telling themselves they are beautiful? Why do some black people need such validation? I don’t get it. I know I’m beautiful and I’m black so I don’t need any one to validate me. I’m secure in who I am. I don’t even think about it. I just am.

• Ajala & Foodie

March 21, 2018 at 3:46 pm

@Rahama, not too long ago, there was a video of little girls being asked about their views on beauty strictly based on skin and there was a little girl that thought a black doll was not pretty because it was based on the color of her skin. Also recently, a woman went viral on social media because her caucasian daughter and picked up a colored aka black doll and the cashier at the check out register asked the girl (unsolicited BTW) “was she not better off with a white doll?”

So to answer your question as to why the term “my black is beautiful” is still being used and needs to be used today is because society still teaches our young ones that black isn’t. While i may not need that assurance so much as an adult who has found somewhat of a footing in society, there is that little girl, that teenage boy that is still struggling with finding that confidence that needs to hear that. We cannot ask other races to address problems that as a race they do not deal with i.e you don’t see african-americans, caucasians or asians chanting we not all alcoholics like native americans do. Why? because it is not an issue attached to our race like it is with native americans. Why other races do not have terms like this? well, it is not an issue for them.

2. Ada_ugo

March 21, 2018 at 9:45 am

smells of inferiority complex… “black women are beautiful,” chikena!… why the comparison?

• Abena

March 21, 2018 at 10:00 pm

The comparison is because for decades white women (or white features), whether by design or inadvertently; have been touted as the standard of beauty. Saying black women are beautiful is not equalization–it is to inspire the many young black girls and women that feel their features may not be conform to beauty standards.

3. mimi

March 21, 2018 at 9:49 am

Not watching the video….the headline is a complete turn-off….WE ARE BEAUTIFUL…STOP THE COMPARISON…why you using white women to measure our beauty…stop this rubbish talk abeg

4. zzzzzzzzzzz

March 21, 2018 at 11:47 am

Sorry to say this but Blacks, I think we have a problem. We have problems with Bad leadership, corruption and other ills that affect our society and all we are concerned about is being black beautiful and carrying your natural hair around. When did carrying natural hair become a political statement? To be honest people care less about our hair and color of our skin. Why are we the ones who always have to make it an issue?

• Ajala & Foodie

March 21, 2018 at 1:15 pm

@zzzzzzz, uhm…scratching my head as to what your point may be. When you speak in such broad general terms you tend to lose ground. You started out by stating “Blacks, I think have a problem”. Dude, that is an entire race not one restricted to a certain geographical location but a worldwide race because people of color are everywhere so bad leadership, corruption is not a “black” issue. Maybe an issue in many African Countries but labelling it a race issue I don’t get. But again see China and the latest developments in the government where an individual has successfully turned presidential seat to permanent office and tell me corruption is a “black” issue.

Secondly, that a certain topic addresses one aspect of one’s life does not necessarily affect another aspect of the same life. That I choose to speak to hair and outward beauty, does not change or affect my political views, neither does it affect one’s view on relationships. All of these topics are part of what makes us as a whole and speaking to one does not in anyway negate the other. That I speak to political topics, does not and should not silence my thoughts on being beautiful. Everything does not have to be about making political statements before a message is received.

Lastly, “To be honest people careless about our hair and skin…” said an individual who has never dealt with racism. You may want to read on the recent package bombings in Austin TX before making such a sweeping statement!!!

N.B: While I am yet to watch the video and yea because of the heading as I agree with many of the comments above (“whiteness” should not be a yardstick).

• Keen

March 21, 2018 at 1:33 pm

That’s a whole different topic, the reason why carrying one’s natural hair is political especially in the western world(Us,Uk etc) is because some organizations/establishment over there still portray kinky afro hair as unkempt and not good. Hence the need to call out their bias. Truth is the media in the west is not fair to black women in terms of beauty targeted adverts.

• Ephi

March 21, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Ajala & Foodie has said it all. Racism is still very real and turning a blind eye to it wouldn’t turn it away. I have been following the cases in Austin and it is clear that it’s a racial issue. Have you read about the Nottingham Trent university girl who had fellow students chanting outside her door “we hate blacks” (not sure how BN missed carrying that story) and the one yest about Exeter university. Please don’t deceive yourself that people don’t care about our hair and skin colour.

5. Jemimah

March 22, 2018 at 2:33 am

No point reading the post or watching the video, the caption reeks of intense stupidity, I’ll pass.

6. Ijs

March 24, 2018 at 9:56 am

These are not our issues. Africa needs to develop. 68 percent of Nigerians live below a dollar a day, our issue is not beauty. If the media is portraying european beauty, build your own media in Africa and portraying your own beauty in Africa, don’t go to Europe and expect them to rewrite their standards for you.