Features

Anu Hundeyin: Why Do Nigerians Hate Feminism?

On July 31, 2018, a female presidential aspirant was moved to share that she was no feminist.

Her reasons have changed with time – initially, it was because she didn’t want to “be like her friend who doesn’t cook for her husband and kids.” Later, she added more: she is no feminist because she believes in “equality for all.”

Save your laughs for her Twitter page. Of course, Twitter went apes—.

This brings me to the million-naira question: Why do Nigerians hate feminism so much?

For any avoidance of doubt, cooking for your partner and children does not make or break a feminist. What breaks a feminist is, first, not understanding what feminism is. And no, I will not be providing a definition because a simple Select and Look Up on your smartphones will define feminism.

So here are a few reasons I posit for why there’s such a loud outrage against the movement.

1. We lack a basic understanding of what feminism is.
A few years ago, I was engrossed in conversation with a friend and colleague. After about an hour, she quipped: “I am a feminist, but I have to go home because I told my husband that I’ll be back home at X time. I know you don’t agree with me because you’re a feminist.”

Ignore the obvious contradiction of her statement if you can. The average Nigerian thinks that when a woman is a feminist, she has gone rogue – lost all sense of affection for her family and community. This is why the female presidential aspirant mentioned specifically that she couldn’t possibly be feminist because she cooks for her husband and kids. News flash: feminists cook in their homes.

Fortunately for us, we cook not because of our gender, but because we can choose to. We are cognizant of the fact that our cooking is not an entitlement to our partners, but a non-gendered choice to make our homes functional.  In case you had any doubt, going “rogue” is also okay. Some men need to be shocked into consciousness, and going rogue might help.

2. We want to be accepted by men so bad.
I spoke to an established, female, young, self-proclaimed feminist recently.  She laughed and said, “Anu, these men don’t know that we will drop all this feminism if they become good.” Not to kill the conversation, I laughed an uncomfortable laughter but kept it moving.

So long as Nigerian women continue to desire male approval, we will continue to get the shorter end of the stick. Men are able to move forward with their theatrics because they know that they have the upper hand in society.  They don’t care that women think their behaviour is often reprehensible. Economically, politically, and socially (think marriage), men have the advantage. But we still want their approval, even though they don’t care about ours.

In fact, what the recent political party defections should show you is that Nigerian men really don’t care that you think they have no integrity – shifting the goal post as they see fit. Why should we change our feminism because of a few good men, as my friend desires? Even the few good men have been painstakingly taught by persistent feminists.

Women, do you. The biggest threat to a Nigerian patriarch is a woman who lives life on her own terms, a woman not working to be “marriageable,” nor does she care about the male gaze. See, that woman will flourish. Be that woman. Men will catch up, maybe. After all, they don’t know what they want – so just do you.

3. We think “modern day” feminism doesn’t focus on the “right” issues.
Most “women empowerment” women argue that modern feminism lacks aim and purpose. They say we should focus on girl-child education and not on changing our last names. That is fake news for a host of reasons, but I will give a couple.

Take gender roles for example. “Women empowerment” activists would argue that girl-child education is more important than gender roles in a home. Do you know that girls cannot focus in school because of gender roles? Do you know that when a male child goes home, on average, his sister is stuck with chores but he is not? There is an entire spectrum of aggression toward women. Do not let anyone tell you that one is less important than the other. They are all equally important.

And even if you feel that modern-day feminism is improperly organized, it is not your role to pull it down. You get no points with the men you’re trying to please, and you alienate yourself from other women.

Of the many issues feminism in Nigeria has, I think that these are the most pervasive. If you disagree, tell me why. If you agree, tell your neighbour. Most importantly, think about it. And tell Eunice that we were not going to vote for her, anyway.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Anu mi se

August 3, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Anu, anu mi se e
    you are sick in the brain
    you wrote gibberish and nonsense

GTFOH with your feminism or no feminism

Why is it FEMINISM you and your fellow “sims” are carrying on your head like tomatoes or bread seller? Some of the examples you gave here nailed you. You guys are just bitter and have a damage in your brain cells.

Your body always hot and pepper you when there is issue of feminism, carry pen and start writing but we never see you write when it comes to issue of humanity or what has to do with common good

Y’all will never think of innovation or anything good to do for the society than fighting for some nonsense eish. You wanna become a president, fight your way there not because you are a female and it would be given to you

• Baby gurl

August 3, 2018 at 4:07 pm

With this outlook, very little positive will come out of you. At this minute, I say a prayer for wisdom, love and openness of mind for you. Be healed.

2. Babym

August 3, 2018 at 2:21 pm

O dear Lord! When is this madness and confusion going to end??? When I saw all that plenty drama about what Eunice said, I thought ah okay this shld be an interesting debate and can hopefully put an to the confusion but boyyyyy was I WRONG! Madam ur writeup is exactly the reason many many ppl run away from Feminism! Please read what u wrote! U are still making the same tired mistake! Making men the enemies! ? when will we learn?? See ehnn I guarantee you that if we took a poll right now, 90% of all decent normal human beings- both male and female believe in the ‘original’ definition of feminism . Think about it, who in their right minds does not want basic equality for all?

Instead of antagonising ppl for not wanting to bear the tag, let us genuinely ask why ppl who their normal day to day action screams I am a feminist do not want to wear the tag? What has gone wrong? For starters let us cut the crap and not be in denial, a lot of ignorant ppl have given feminism a terrible man bashing name. Ppl r genuinely confused. My husband is the BIGGEST feminist I know. The way he fights for equality and injustice against women no be here but call him a feminist and he will be up in arms ?. I don’t blame him atall. You cannot brand somebody the enemy (like u have done in ur article) and expect them to be part of the movement.

Please u guys. We r allllll feminist in the true sense of the word. That some ppl don’t want the tag is TOTALLY understandable with the madness that ppl r making it out to be. Please instead of all this useless chastisement, let us seek to re-educate ppl. It’s totally counterproductive to be ridiculing ppl who r rightfully confused about feminism because some unscrupulous donkeys have tried to turn it into a monster. Meanwhile feminism is simple common sense o. Chai God help us.

• Lola

August 3, 2018 at 2:39 pm

BABYM my question is the women in the 19th century that fought for euality between men and women, did they call themselves feminist? I like your approach to this matter its matured but i want to say educating people who already have grounded knowledge and have even written a project on this topic for their PHD will be futile. Even if there are good reasons to this movement i will be the last person to be called one. Feminism movement just started just when and we are already calling our powerful game changing women of our past FEMINiST lols everyone is entitled to their opnion for me i will keep discouraging as many i comee across on this movement its still their choice to make nonetheless.

3. nene

August 3, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Madam write2r all this you have explained we have heard severaly and we already know, its even becoming tiring. We want equality,we want oprression and abuse to stop as relating to women, we want women ti be given same opportunity as their male counterpart but we dont want to be TAGGED FEMINIST or should we say it in french or spanish ?

4. A Real Nigerian

August 3, 2018 at 2:24 pm

It’s simple.
    Nigerians are mean, intellectual lazy, narrow minded people who are comfortable with remaining in their own filth. Too arrogant to change their ways and too stupid to even grasp the idea of feminism in the first place.
    You see them – men and women alike – rushing on to the anti-feminism bandwagon because it is the cool thing to do since it apprarently protects their “norms and cultures”. If you ask these same foolish people what these so-called Nigerian culture has done for them or their country, theyll start stammering and making off-point remarks that make no sense whatsoever.
    You are protecting a culture that has groomed a dangerous country filled with some of the most ill-minded people in the world. A culture that has created family environments where many women suffer silently in marriages and even begin to romanticise their suffering as “determination, relentlessness and courage”.
    We all know that Nigerian men are beasts who are doomed to destruction, so there is no need to waste precious time talking about those ones.
    The problem is with these women who should know better for themsleves and their daughters but still simply refuse to see the light and continue to be lap dogs for the Patriarchy. What will it get you? After all your submission and respect, he will still look at other women, abuse you emotionally, restrict you to certain roles and probably punch you in the face.
    We women need to wise up and we need to be better and smarter than this.

• Yeyedesmell

August 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Congratulations madam Muscular intellectual. !!!

Can i ask do you have a beast (as per your reference to Nigerian men) at home or a sperm donor.

And kindly enumerate what Feminism has done for any western society.

• Seriously

August 3, 2018 at 5:24 pm

You are more intellectually lazy, and narrow minded than people you accuse. Isn’t it the real Nigerian who always leave foolish comments on here which makes one question your mental state.

All I know is, feminism has been around way before these new confused ones hijacked it. Feminism is beyond running mouth, take action.
      When Funmilayo kuti(fela’s mom) a women right activist fought during her time, it wasn’t called, referred to as feminism. The west enforced an ideology trust Africans to take it overboard. Feminism was practiced back then and will continue but practiced based on different cultures.

When I listen to stories of African mothers who fought for their rights and freedom way before the west brainwashed them.
      My dad says stories of how their mother raised 6 boys by herself. She refused to stay with their father who was abusive at that time. She taught herself how to read and write. She built a small school for women in in her village.
      I mean this is a true meaning of feminism, and women’S right.

• Love

August 4, 2018 at 3:55 am

Seriously dear am proud of your grandmom and i hope to do better than her but i disagree with you calling her a feminist. Please shes too above that. I know why you call brave and audacious women in our history that but dear do not, am not going to call them that because someone came up with a new word that does not entirely depict what they stood for. Its wrong to say any woman who stood for or fought for equality of the sexes a feminist because their objectives are almost similar.

• COMMENTER

August 5, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Hmm….. You seem to applaud women who have fought for their rights to be treated as HUMAN. Feminism is asking for everything you have just described. So, in a sense, you are applauding these women for standing up for women rights. But why does Feminism seem like such a “dirty word” to you.

What you keep applauding is in all your examples is feminism. Feminism is just a word in the English language. What is that negative misconception or fear you have attached to it? I believe this is what the writer is trying to say.

Anyways, no woman/child/man etc deserves to be beaten, undermined, exploited etc. For example, no spouse should step outside their marriage, every child should gain a robust education, no one should be exploited financially or sexually in a working or school environment. No woman should have to sleep with her lecturer to pass a class she already passed on paper. No woman should be passed up for a promotion if she is the better qualified candidate and in many cases, they are. These are things that should not happen to anyone but in our society, they happen predominantly to women. Feminism is call that women be treated with decency and respect the same way men are treated with decency and respect.

Women are allowed to have dreams and goals. Every persons calling is different but it is often thought that a womans starts and ends in her home and this is false. Women have found cures to diseases, built technology that has has saved lives etc. That was their own individual calling. Our calling is often outside of ourselves( yourself and family).

Feminism is not a dirty word. I think the key is understanding the true meaning and core goals of the movement. Yes, feminism has goals.

Nigerians hardly say I am not a christian or muslim just because someone who identifies with either religion has done something foul that they don’t agree with. They did deep and understand the core of their religion. Feminism is not a religion. But my point is that it is a concept that one must dig deep and understand. Some already practice feminism without knowing it.

• Abz

August 3, 2018 at 11:40 pm

This comment is EVERYTHING!

• CrazyWorld

August 4, 2018 at 12:34 am

LOOOL!
      If Non-Nigerians were so positive, there won’t be a feminism in the first place

• gbaskelebo

August 7, 2018 at 10:03 am

Halima is back!

5. Adeleke

August 3, 2018 at 2:27 pm

I’m even confused myself. I help in the house, cook, clean, laundry, feed the boys, bathe them, etc the whole nine yards. At home, I am an angel and God sent. But outside (especially in church) I forget or maybe I am so used to it, I so much as help the wife carry the boys’ nappy bag, I am bad, I want to make her look bad outside so that people think she don’t take care of the boys, blah blah blah. So I am very confused about what the fuss is about.

• Wendy

August 3, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Lmaoooo but you and your wife be on something else though. Did she give up the cookie yet?

• Adeleke

August 3, 2018 at 3:46 pm

There’s been a massive improvement oh my sister. I think now it’s due to the fact that I work away and come home for weekend. Last week was our 7th anniversary and it was a 3 day marathon, so I am very HAPPY lool

6. Cool cat

August 3, 2018 at 2:44 pm

You write a piece about why Nigerians hate feminism and refuse to define it. Maybe because you don’t know what feminism means. In every movement there will always be radicals, those who want to hijack the purpose to suit their personal shortcomings. That’s exactly why Nigerians don’t believe in feminism. The next most important reason is the culture. Like it or not, Nigerian women for the most part still consider the man a “provider”. The man will woo you during courtship with gifts of course, but a ring and go on his knee(it’s that so romantic), parents will demand trad wedding and give a list, he’ll pay for a wedding that you want full control of (it’s YOUR big day afterall), he should have gotten a house ready, pay rent, pay for the honeymoon, but you a car if he’s able, school fees is a given, bills are automatically dumbed on his table. The relationship falls through and he has to support you and your kids, while you decide if he can see said kids or not. Kukuma kill men na. Depression rate among men is rising astronomically, the pressure is insurmountable. Then you bring your equality mantra and he adds that to all he’s doing and expected to do.

We all have different roles in the family unit. Don’t create unnecessary tension in the home to the detriment of your kids. Communicate with your partner of expectations and boundaries.

• Arin

August 5, 2018 at 12:50 am

If wouldn’t hurt if you actually googled the definition yourself.

• Mrs chidukane

August 6, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Abeg abeg abeg,how many men foot the full bills in a wedding? I have sisters so I know how much we have contributed to wedding ceremonies. For my older sister, we covered as much as 95 percent. My husband even tried. He did white,we did trad. I have another sister getting married soon. I know how much we’re spending. You men should stop all this rubbish bragging.

7. Kande

August 3, 2018 at 3:11 pm

I have so much to say on this issue. But I’m slumped at work so I’ll just summarize. Nigerian women that deny feminism are scared of what men would say, probably men they admire and what not. They are scared they would not be deemed attractive afterwards. Also, the most hypocritical thing I ever heard in my life, from Nigerians: “I am not a feminist. Don’t call me a feminist; but I believe in the equality of both sexes”. Such dumb ass statement. I’m disappointed in Eunice and in the mediocrity and captivity that plagues the AVERAGE Nigerian’s mindset et life philosophy.

• Aidyl

August 3, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Na wah oh, is it a cult and is it by force? Where is freedom to choose? You have narrowed it to men again. I am amazed at your conclusion.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 3, 2018 at 4:06 pm

“Mediocrity and captivity”.

Thou sayeth it all.

As a Real Nigerian put it a few jumps above (and you made me LOL missy,… mean ✔️intellectually lazy✔️ and narrow minded✔️…. three hundred points for Gryffindor), has any of this mediocrity and captivity placed us any further forward as a country? Nope. At all, at all. Mba. Nehi.

We shout ourselves hoarse about a so-called culture we don’t even understand ourselves (the amount of Nigerians who’ve never bothered to explore their own ancestry any further than the era of the white man landing his troops and declaring us a colonial annex, continues to shock me), so we have no real grasp of who we truly are as human beings.

I think the worst thing social media has presented us with, is a mirror of our outstanding ignorance on very many topics….. and the worst part is we accept this ignorance as something to luxuriate in. Some other kind of 21st century backwardness.

Very fascinating (and often times horrifying) country.

• Californiabawlar

August 3, 2018 at 6:32 pm

@Kande and MzSA… y’all are the real MVPs! I don’t even bother to engage anymore.

• Jade

August 4, 2018 at 1:06 am

Madam feminist what difference has it made among women since you’ve claimed Your feminist status? Na feminist una won chop. Do yourselves a favor, define feminism first? I bet most of y’all don’t even know, don’t know the basic but want to attack other women. People like you are giving it a bad vibe. All this shouting still the first to judge, insult other women. Give other women attitude who are more beautiful, successful, etc
      Feminism is about women not men. It starts from women living by example. Walk the talk, not talk the talk.

• kike

August 3, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Please KANDE speak to yourself, you think people like angela merkel refuse to be called a feminist because she wants the support of men? Please i know we have some lowlife women in nigeria but i can guarantee you there are more smarter courageous and self appreciating women in nigeria infact its an insult to insinuate a thing like that. So we cant want anything in life except its for the sake of men? Your thought pattern is even worse than those NIGERIAN FEMINIST WOMEN

• Wendy

August 3, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Lmaoooo! Uhhhh heck yeah! Merkel doesn’t just want the support of men… she NEEDS it! She’s a politician. She needs their votes dumdum
      Ugghh… dull minds everywhere ??‍♀️??‍♀️

• Special

August 3, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Here is another angry feminist ahhh you guyz too dey vex, take a chill pill

• Jay

August 25, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Lmao as in eh

8. AYODELE

August 3, 2018 at 3:18 pm

I DON’T THINK NIGERIANS HATE FEMINISM, THE TRUTH IS MOST ACCLAIMED ‘ NIGERIAN FEMINIST ‘DON’T KNOW WHAT FEMINISM IS ALL ABOUT, THEY THINK IT’S ALL ABOUT NOT RESPECTING YOUR MAN AT HOME

• Olori

August 3, 2018 at 4:04 pm

No, you are the one that doesn’t know what it is about. Don’t confuse feminism with extremism. Acclaimed Nigerian feminists are tired of the classic misogyny that has continued to ravage the system, from the family unit into the society and have decided to stand up to changing the narrative. At the very least, respect that.

• Aidyl

August 3, 2018 at 4:17 pm

In your opinion, Is this write a feminist?

• Aidyl

August 3, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Writer

• kike

August 3, 2018 at 4:28 pm

You guyz should stop saying nigerians dont know what feminism is about like you think everyone in nigeria is still in the CAVE ERA please we have intellectuals reading these post and WE DO understand every concept of FEMINISM still, some like me have insisted to be called a woman and have nothing to do with feminism , professor Grace who is the first female vice chancellor in UNIBEN has been fighting for the support for the GIRL child educationaly this started way back in the 90s. If you get to my rented apartment back in school there is a pasted stivker there thats dwells one the importance of training and appreciating women and its been there since 1997 written by an organisation all these have been happening before this feminist movement why should we join them by force now haba.

9. Tnnnky Jay

August 3, 2018 at 4:07 pm

My own 2cent is this: I am a female, If everybody is empowered financially, educationally (formal/informal) & have their own like they would love to I don’t think this issue of women being under estimated or seen as lesser gender will come up.
    I love to be that independent woman, I love to be an Oprah Winfrey or Beyonce in terms of their success in career & financially.
    Again there are different level of success, every woman cannot be an Oprah/beyonce so also every man cannot be a Dangote / whatever.
    There will always be the average class, the poor, the rich, the stay at home mum, the working class mum,the woman earning above her husband & husband being the bread winner in the family. Sometimes it can be an issue of choice or circumstance.
    In all these there’s going to be a balance. Our upbringing goes a long way to determine how we treat our spouse or people of opposite sex. If you happen to marry a man that does not believe in doing house chores you cannot force it on him, neither will you kill yourself with work both @home & office. There will always be a way out, all you do is do your best to make sure your male children don’t end up believing house chores are meant for females only. It is then your duty to teach & engage them what is the right thing to do. Our children need to understand that anybody can cook, do the laundry,dishes,be in certain profession etc. Females are not horses you overwork.
    As for educating a girl child I don’t think there’s any debate about that, not in this modern age, well it’s OK to preach to people still living the backward way.
    I believe in equality & equity. Also I believe there is no set rule for everyone to live their lives. Let each one live as it suits them.
    Again I don’t think you need to bash or be angry @ the male gender bcoz you need to preach feminism, most of them grew up seeing things the way it is & continued that way. They didn’t know any other alternatives. You can’t force it, it’s got to be a gradual change, modern day mothers & father’s need to to start educating their kids, it has to start from our homes before you take it to the government in Africa especially Nigeria, it won’t happen overnight.
    As for the chivalry treatment to women? That is on another level, I mean I want my man to pamper, hold out the door for me to walk through,protect me when in the cold, like giving me his sweat shirt if I don’t have one at the moment, trying to keep women & children safe in the face of a disaster, anybody can be prone to danger, its all a matter of strength & physical fitness & health condition which a male can’t still be in a danger & would need the help too. etc. I don’t see this as been lesser, neither do I feel a well brought up man will feel it’s makes me lesser than him, it’s all about doing little stuffs for people you love & care about.
    What makes a man or woman great is what they have inside of them,ability to give solution that will benefit all & not about having a penis or a vagina.
    A good & well brought up child would know better than turning his/her wife/husband/sister/brother to an unpaid maid.

• Hashva

August 6, 2018 at 12:13 pm

this captured my thoughts exactly, i need to ask your permission to quote this.

10. Baybie

August 3, 2018 at 4:30 pm

This matter don tire me. We all KNOW what Feminism is, don’t get deceived by people who pretend like they don’t know. However, we must understand that people are FREE to choose how they want to live their lives. If they are happy with their choices, wetin concern us?!
    Abeg this sun is too hot, make i go find chill drink.

11. Californiabawlar

August 3, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Na wah o! You people have started again. Everybody yelling at each other… nobody actually learning anything. Una don chop belleful fa ?
    The solution is clear, if you’re not a feminist, then don’t be one… now what you also shouldn’t do is throw shade at people that are feminists by denouncing the ideology and making off the cuff statements. That’s asking for it and they’ll come for you. Simple. It’s truly better to keep quiet and let people assume you’re smart than to open your mouth and remove any doubt that your intellect is subpar ??‍♀️

• Special

August 3, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Speak to the hands

• Californiabawlar

August 3, 2018 at 6:30 pm

…cos your brain either has mpd or is just too dull to realize you have to change your emails if you’re going to leave multiple comments with different monikers. Olodo rabata.

• LemmeRant

August 3, 2018 at 8:02 pm

I kuku know you lack basic comprehension.

“The solution is clear, if you’re not a feminist, then don’t be one”

You should be telling that to the author of this article, a feminist like you who found it within her rights to get angry and write an entire article (total crap btw) just because a woman aspiring to be President came out to say she isn’t a feminist.

At the end of the day y’all are always the ones with the problems.

• Californiabawlar

August 3, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Lmao. This ninja! If you had half a brain and followed the events you’d know the so-called aspirant started it all by going online posting against feminism.
      Meanwhile why are you commenting under my post? It’s like you feel like being washed today abi? I know its been a while, and if I talk small something now, your cowardly behind will start coping out. Unfortunately for you, today is not your day… go and collect your medicine elsewhere… now shooooo!!! sewer rat ???

• LemmeRant

August 4, 2018 at 9:08 am

Yen yen yen.

As usual with the insults. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to be monitoring BN comments if not I’d have handled you earlier.

Instead of barking at me like the mad dog that you are, go and tell your newest voltron, the one who wrote this article what you wrote.

“The solution is clear, if you’re not a feminist, then don’t be one…”

She is the one who has written two articles already coz someone doesn’t want to be identified as a feminist.

See, the beauty of comments on blogs like this is that you can’t lie, neither can you take back what you’ve typed. That is why in your long and unfortunate rant you conveniently ignored the part I pointed out.
      But please don’t be unfortunate this morning and go and do what you were told.

• Californiabawlar

August 4, 2018 at 4:00 pm

???????????????????????

12. Liz Bennet

August 3, 2018 at 5:24 pm

All these people in this thread claiming they are not feminist. I laugh in espagnol. You don’t want to be a feminist but you want to reap the fruits of feminism?
    That you (a woman) and your female children can go to school, aspire to become anything you choose to especially in sciences, have the right to vote, hold positions and earn as much as males who have the same qualifications as you do, etc, is very much thanks to feminism. I don’t care about what you call yourself but if all you want is equality for all (not putting men down), then you ARE a feminist.
    There have been different waves of feminism since the 19th century, for some of you to come and say feminism is a new phenomenon, is just beyond me. Kike, take note.
    Mr Adeleke, you’re the real MVP. Continue to do you.

• Chance

August 3, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Blah blah blah

• Iya ibeji

August 3, 2018 at 10:35 pm

So I do not like insults and I am asking purely for discussion purposes. These women of old who challenged existing norms and made impacts, did they identify as feminists at their time? I don’t so, you can correct me if you have contrary information. The argument that feminists payed the way for girl education, equality is not necessarily true, especially since many of the men and women for fought for it did not self identify as feminists.
      My problem so far is why are we focused on titles? I cannot understand why some feminisits that I have encountered talk and reply condescendingly when a woman says she is not a feminist. Different experiences shape people’s ideologies and thinking, for some women feminism has not played any significant role. Whether you address yourself as a feminist or not should not matter in my opinion, just go out there and conquer!

• Tizzle

August 4, 2018 at 10:20 am

I think that time, there was no known name for it. They probably would have identified as feminists, if there was a popular term for their movement. Speaking from personal experience, I was a feminist before I identified as one. I knew I wanted equal rights, opportunities, and to be treated fairly but I didn’t know there was a movement about that until I grew older. The noun ‘feminist’ came from the verb ‘feminism’. The confusion for me comes when you claim to believe in feminism – “equal rights, rights to make your choices as a woman” and then refuse to be identified as a feminist, which is fine. But please, don’t speak about feminism in disdain just to score some cheap points. It is disrespectful and unfair to those who have identified themselves as such. Don’t go about defining our feminism as misandry which is a lie objectors like to circulate. You don’t have to help us but please don’t make our jobs more difficult. Do you, let us do ours.

13. Elle

August 3, 2018 at 5:50 pm

But it’s not by force nau. If a woman doesn’t want to be called a feminist, what EXACTLY is the problem biko?

14. zzzzzzzzzzz

August 3, 2018 at 6:22 pm

I am a woman believe in women’s right and equality, but I am not a feminist and donot intend to be one. Most we be feminist? Must we be vegans?

• Roxy

August 4, 2018 at 6:34 am

If you don’t eat meat or meat by products then you are vegan. If you like call yourself shaku shaku, tell everyone you are shaku shaku and not vegan, they can even put it on your tombstone, here lies zzzz a very dedicated shaku shaku it does not make you NOT a vegan.

• Lola

August 4, 2018 at 10:46 am

Keep quiet there like it or not feminist women are just discovering themselves but some courageos women already found this out waaaaayy before their brain started functioning. We are not feminist.

• Hopeful Sister

August 4, 2018 at 7:06 am

I think I now get it – it’s the label people don’t like. A few “warriors” have taken thhings overboard, unfortunately, which has given the cause a bad name. I remember being told off once for not voting because lots of women fought for my right to vote. I explained that the women fought for my RIGHT to vote – I am allowed to choose whether to exercise this right or not. I refuse to be moved from one box to another. From men in the past telling me that I had to be a housewife, for example, to women now telling me to be ashamed for wanting to be a housewife because I could be a lawyer. I am allowed to CHOOSE what I want to be. I am the author of my own destiny. I am a solicitor now but I am happy to become a housewife later on if that is what I want to do.

However, I beg you all to remember that a kingdom divided will surely fall. The best way to keep minorities from progressing has been to create discord and factions within them and this has been very effective. This is what is beginning to happen with “feminism” (forgive my use of the “offending” word). Women will continue to be behind men in every way if we continue fighting and bringing each other down. You rarely see men doing this. Even if you don’t approve of something your family member is doing, you won’t chastise them in front of strangers – or would you? Women, especially black women, have a long way to go in terms of equality. Please, let’s support other women and continue to grow. Remember, we are not saying we are better or deserve more than men – we just want equal treatment. We do have to admit that equality means equality – you can’t just choose the benefits and deny the responsibilities that come with equality as that will be putting men in a worse position than they currently are in. Peace and love to my sisters everywhere.

• Lizzie

August 6, 2018 at 8:50 am

No true feminist will take away your right to choose. You people keep conflating issues for the sake of argument. Pay attention to what is being said, go with the definition of the movement and stop all this infighting.

• Kandé

August 4, 2018 at 8:09 am

Paradox. LOL. My dear, you are a feminist if you “believe in women’s rights and equality”. Stop running away from that word, feminist. It won’t kill you.

• Lola

August 4, 2018 at 10:52 am

You can name your first daughter FEMINIST if you want but to me and many others before that word came into existence we already had a word for it and that is a CONFIDENT WOMAN. She knows she has no limits and cannot be sidelined by anyone weither man or woman.

15. Engoz

August 3, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Haaaa, you people are now talking about African Women’s rights? I was the one that consistently brought the African women’s fight for their rights angle to the conversation on this website. The conversation prior to that was that fighting for Women’s rights were unAfrican. They never acknowledged that fighting for women’s right was African. I consistently produced historical facts to defeat it. Now people are all of a sudden a believer of women’s rights/equality? Wow, Times have changed o, rotflmao.

I still don’t think you guys understand who your foremothers were to use them as an argument against feminism. These are your women:

“Harris describes a case of women’s solidarity to maintain sexual freedom:

The men… were very angry because their wives were openly having relations with their lovers. The men… met and passed a law to the effect that every woman… should renounce her lover and present a goat to her husband as a token of repentance… The women held… secret meetings and, a few mornings later, they went to a neighboring [village], leaving all but suckling children behind them… [The men] endured it for a day and a half and then they went to the women and begged their return…

If we are to base women’s rights on what your foremothers did, I don’t think you people will have mouth to talk. Rotflmao!

Nevertheless, I have consistently maintained that Nigerian women should not join feminism. I have proof o. Nobody should lie that I am forcing them. Just that if you come for feminism or quote me and I see it, just be prepared…daz all. Is that a bad thing? Lmao!

• Lol

August 4, 2018 at 7:26 am

Engoz the grand master of Matriarchy. I told you so master.

16. Lol

August 3, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Bla bla bla

I am not a feminist. Is it by force bikonu.

This feminism label of a thing is starting to sound like a cult every woman must belong to or be damned.

And trust black people (women in this instance) to turn everything upside down and carry everything the west feed them like gala for head.

Una go dey alright last las

17. Aare

August 3, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Just think it is sad the writer has to put down some women to get her point ‘across’. At least it was not an Instagram rant. It may not be the women’s fault because many ‘feminists’ are into it as a lifestyle choice and can sometimes muddy the waters of what it means. The writer seems to have made calling her self a feminist more like a life style choice but like many nigeria you cannot leave the selfish core. Fem8nism in the country is weak probably means little in nigeria because the women never strategize to make it a political movement. The feminism that gave birth to modern feminism were popular because they were western movements that supported women’s right to vote and later to have control over her life/body. In nigeria it never happened and the nigerian feminists do not have the ability to make it happen so once every week we have someone’s personal opinion pumped into us but it is good for the drama, Bella probably likes it even though it continually fails to ignite or enlighten ppl.

• Love

August 4, 2018 at 4:06 am

It was not feminism that birthed feminism please be corrected

• Loool

August 4, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Love / Chance / Like / Nene / Cece only you all these names and one moniker. As a child of God that you claim to be, please start by displaying integrity i.e. stick to one name and take your stand, like Cocoa does, you don’t need duplicate names to do this. Be guided dear.

• Twinkle

August 4, 2018 at 2:52 pm

At least am standing for the same truth huhh and how does changing my names make me unchristian? And yes i change my names becos there are odas here that bear the same name, and guess what i know who you are but am not going to stop speaking up am NOT A FEMINIST keep stalking. Infact let me give myself anoda name.

• Loool

August 4, 2018 at 3:02 pm

*Kike

18. Coco

August 4, 2018 at 9:37 am

Write 10 thousand articles a day if you want…we are still not joining your CULT.
    Deal with it or be frustrated…your choice.

• John

August 4, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Damn….

Women in in BN are not getting wiser unlike before.

They are now jumping out of this toxic train called feminism.

I had to wash my eyes with water to actually believe what I am reading.

Wow.
      Please, all you of should not commot abeg.

I don’t really like this TBH.

I prefer when a retards says she is a feminist so I can begin on time to avoid her and let her fall into my trap (so I can deal with ruthlessly) but if all of una deny this feminism label..How I go take know which women to avoid or not…it will be too late for me

19. Twinkle

August 4, 2018 at 2:55 pm

I didnt know the feminism thing got the writer soooo angry she had to check me up llooooooolss why did you hide your name? How many people here do you think use one name? Its my choice and guess what i got anoda idea thanks

20. Brigitte

August 4, 2018 at 3:16 pm

I think in the end feminism is about taking back the power of definition. Not simply allowing others to tell your story or to simply leave it out or erase it. It’s about power balance in the public and private sphere. And much of this comes from declaring the right to cite your needs and be heard, to define one’s self and one’s community.

There is a gender power imbalance right now, and of course, this is also mirrored in other imbalances, ie the too rich and the too poor, they are very closely intertwined and not separate issues. Much of that is not even a Nigerian legacy but a result of European dominance and white supremacy.

Feminism certainly does not mean that Western versions are the the ‘correct’ ones. That the nuclear family and the terrible banality of the ‘productive’ society, (men = labor and cannon fodder, women = reproductive labour and surplus labor, or everyone = consumer, or everyone reduced to employed/unemployed), needs to take hold. Why should people emulate such a horrifying reduction of human value and morality as promoted by the cruel western version of economy and society?

Looking to Western versions of ‘white’ feminism is pretty uninspiring. Feminism. Equality and power have their own Nigerian tradition and pride There is a long history of powerful Nigerian feminists and uprisings that have nothing to do with the west. Some women’s revolts during the colonial period did, only in so far that Nigerian women were resisting the enforced Western gender roles which stripped women of their property, professions, and autonomy.

Perhaps part of Nigerian feminism is seeing that women protect their communities and protect other women and their men? Perhaps this at times has been more important to Nigerian feminists than individual rights?

Do you get to see and choose to take care of the home and family and give that the power and significance it deserves, and claim your autonomy and right to be seen and heard as a full citizen valuable as anyone else in any other role, in the workplace, government or family? Or is this something that is defined FOR you, is your work seen as secondary, disposable, menial, your opinion less valued? Are you paid less or nothing for the same work? Are you expected to work full time and care full time? Are your needs unaddressed? Is marriage really enough, and is your wedding day really the highlight of your life? Are you forced to play that role though it grates against your nature, though it keeps you poor, undereducated and dependent?

Do you find it curious that no matter what you do, you can never be a ‘good’ woman? Is this Nigerian or is this an import?

I think feminism is deeply entangled with the liberation for all, it means not seeing anyone’s body as less valuable, it means fighting global white supremacy. it means raising up working-class men too, and smashing the very notion of ‘work’ and recentering culture and connection, it means celebrating and making room for differences, it means a meaningful life centered around care and courage. It means just society where all voices count, and not only a few decide.

• Jay

August 25, 2018 at 5:56 pm

I love this so much!

21. Ola

August 4, 2018 at 7:37 pm

I think you should have defined feminism since quite a number of people, women especially, are ignorant about what feminism is. Telling us to look it up is not helping to reduce that ignorance.

22. FRANK

August 5, 2018 at 1:23 am

“FEMINISM” the new Pussyfication of Men.

23. Jay

August 25, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Oh my God you people are still slinging insults instead of to stop being defensive and think about things for once

24. Jay

August 25, 2018 at 5:56 pm

loved the article! Although you should have defined feminism for the willfully ignorant

25. Jay

August 25, 2018 at 5:59 pm

It’s not by force to be a feminist but don’t disrespect them and thier movement for no reason.