News

Buhari accepts Adeosun’s Resignation, appoints Zainab Ahmed as Replacement

BellaNaija.com

Zainab Ahmed

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday accepted the resignation of the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, a statement by Femi Adesina, Buhari’s spokesperson said.

“The President thanked the Minister for her services to the nation and wished her well in her future pursuits. The President also approved that the Minister of State for Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, should oversee the Ministry of Finance with effect from today,” the statement added.

The statement also contained Adeosun’s resignation letter, which read:

14th September, 2018

His Excellency

Muhammadu Buhari

President, Federal Republic of Nigeria

State House

Aso Villa

Abuja

Dear Excellency,

Let me commence by thanking you profusely for the honour and privilege of serving under your inspirational leadership. It has been a truly rewarding experience to learn from you and to observe at close quarters your integrity and sense of duty.

I have, today, become privy to the findings of the investigation into the allegation made in an online medium that the Certificate of Exemption from National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) that I had presented was not genuine. This has come as a shock to me and I believe that in line with this administration’s focus on integrity, I must do the honourable thing and resign.

Your Excellency, kindly permit me to outline some of the background to this matter. I was born and raised in the United Kingdom, indeed my parental family home remains in London. My visits to Nigeria up until the age of thirty-four (34) were holidays, with visas obtained in my UK passport. I obtained my first Nigerian passport at the age of thirty-four (34) and when I relocated there was debate as to whether NYSC Law applied to me. Upon enquiry as to my status relating to NYSC, I was informed that due to my residency history and having exceeded the age of thirty (30), I was exempted from the requirement to serve. Until recent events, that remained my understanding.

On the basis of that advice and with the guidance and assistance of those, I thought were trusted associates, NYSC were approached for documentary proof of status. I then received the certificate in question. Having never worked in NYSC, visited the premises, been privy to nor familiar with their operations, I had no reason to suspect that the certificate was anything but genuine. Indeed, I presented that certificate at the 2011 Ogun State House of Assembly and in 2015 for Directorate of State Services (DSS) Clearance as well as to the National Assembly for screening. Be that as it may, as someone totally committed to a culture of probity and accountability I have decided to resign with effect from Friday, 14th September, 2018.

Your Excellency, It has been an exceptional privilege to have served our nation under your leadership and to have played a role in steering our economy at a very challenging time. I am proud that Nigeria has brought discipline into its finances, has identified and is pursuing a path to long term sustainable growth that will unlock the potential in this great economy. Under your leadership, Nigeria was able to exit recession and has now started to lay the foundations for lasting growth and wealth creation. Repositioning this huge economy is not a short term task and there are no short cuts, indeed there are tough decisions still to be made but I have no doubt that your focus on infrastructural investment, revenue mobilisation and value for money in public expenditure will deliver growth, wealth and opportunity for all Nigerians.

I thank His Excellency, the Vice President and my colleagues in the Federal Executive Council for the huge pleasure and honour of working with them. I also thank most specially, the team in the ‘Finance Family’ of advisers and heads of agencies under the Ministry of Finance. Your Excellency, this group of committed Nigerians represent a range of backgrounds, ethnicities and ages. They have worked well above and beyond the call of duty to support me in the tasks assigned. The diversity in my team and their ability to work cohesively to deliver reforms, convinces me that Nigeria has the human capital required to succeed.

Your Excellency, let me conclude by commending your patience and support, during the long search for the truth in this matter. I thank you again for giving me the honour of serving under your leadership, it is a rare privilege, which I do not take for granted. As a Nigerian and committed progressive, I appreciate you for your dogged commitment to improving this nation.

Please be assured, as always, of my highest regards and best wishes

Kemi Adeosun (Mrs)

1. TheRealist

September 15, 2018 at 12:11 am

Blah, blah, blah… cry me a river.

GOOD start, although Zainab Ahmed will likely be a weak Finance Ministry

2. ken

September 15, 2018 at 12:26 am

Chai, yoruba sorry o

3. Truth

September 15, 2018 at 12:47 am

This is the reason why “abroad people” are skeptical about coming home. Kemi trusted friends to give her the right counsel and she got burnt at the pinnacle of her career. Kemi’s resignation letter is very emotional and sad. Trust Nigerians at your own peril. If you want to know how messed up up we are as a country, please take a moment to look around you and tell me if you have up to 5 Nigerians in your circle that you can trust with your money and life. It is an herculean task. Kemi paid the price for being an “Ajebo” who lived all her life in a bubble. I sympathize and empathize with her. I must commend her for doing the honourable thing and towing the path of honour. her action/reaction to this scandal is almost unprecedented in a country like Nigeria where nobody resigns. I must say there is a difference between NOW and THEN and I commend PMB for listening to Nigerians and doing the right thing. I wish Kemi the best in her future endeavours.

• TEE

September 15, 2018 at 5:19 am

@Truth..you are dead right ! its very hard to find a trustworthy Nigerian, even will all these overzealous religiousness. As soon as you open your heart to them they will take advantage of your situation in very coniving way. One guy came home from abroad and had to get his car papers having left over 3years, given that the rules are always changing regarding vehicle registartion he sort the help of a friend; one day he drove out and was stopped it turned the vehicle papers his friend got was fake, in the end he had to pay heavy bribe to get the car back. He had to borrow money for the rest of his stay before returning it was hell. LIke you said trust Nigerian at own peril!

• TheRealist

September 16, 2018 at 12:37 am

@TEE (and Truth), do so-called “abroad people” as a matter of course send touts (and/or such other ‘for-pay’ surrogates) to secure vehicle inspection or registration papers for them, or to get passports, social security cards, licenses, etc.? We often do things in Nigeria (that usually bends the rule or seek an unmerited advantage) that we would not normally do “in the abroad” and then moan and whine about Nigeria/Nigerians when we get a different outcome.

• TEE

September 16, 2018 at 6:49 am

@TheRealist, Look deep at all governmnet agencies you find that they have delibrately or inadvertedly left loop hole for corruption which is then explioted by their staff and other acting as agent in those places. And as you know nothing is standardised; as for vehicles they change rules willy nilly. so if you are out of the country for some time you will find yourself in riddle .

• Mondela

September 15, 2018 at 6:33 am

Oh please sit yo a** down..there is nothing honourable in what she did. She is supposed to be persecuted for forgery…

• Ijebujesha

September 15, 2018 at 7:12 am

Her action is not unprecendented. Barth Nnaji and Stella Oduah resigned during GEJ years.

• Elle

September 15, 2018 at 9:39 am

I don’t understand. Did Kemi forge documents or not? Why should her friends be blamed for her actions? If friends “advice” you to put your hand in fire would you do so? Let us learn to hold people accountable for their own actions rather than blaming all and sundry.

• TheTruth

September 15, 2018 at 12:45 pm

This is funny. Abroad people should do the right thing, if you intend to work in Nigeria, please do the right thing and go for NYSC before you are 30 else stay abroad and work there. I applaud Kemi for resigning she should also take full responsibility for her actions and not make excuses.

• Seriously

September 15, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Let’s not overpraise when Nigerians do what is right just because the system operates and encourages wrong things. Although, I commend Kemi for her resignation and hope this will be a step forward and example for Buhari and many Nigerians doing jobs they are not qualified to do, and are not willing to improve. I may be wrong, there might have been more pressure about her job performance not necessarily the forgery. Buhari is not to be trusted, his goal is to northernize his administration.

Unfortunately, lying is second nature to Nigerians, Africans. Being truthful is actually a crime because you wont get the right opportunities needed. There’s no correlation between Kemi’s resignation and having trustworthy friends. A true friend is also someone who should encourage, advise and push you to stand for what is right. True friendship and loyalty is not based on covering up your wrong, and sycophancy.

4. Blueberry

September 15, 2018 at 7:33 am

Until small minded people like Ken can get past ethnicity, Nigeria will continue to remain a house decided by itself!!! Comments such as this are really quite dated and don’t belong on this forum..BN take note…it’s not cool!

• nene+

September 15, 2018 at 9:01 am

What’s really wrong in saying that South West apparently enthroned this government tho? The statistics exist. I will add too that the south easterners are being purchased daily by the government despite their woeful perfomance which is even gross foolishness. SS not immuned also. Pure idiocy!!!!!

As for madam adeosun she was not honest enough, she wanted to wait it out. She thought time would kill it . She knew all along she has a fake certificate but thought bigger events would overrun her gist. She served under a fake anti corruption tyranny. She witnessed the witch hunts, the acute hegemony, saw the nepotism and bigotry and felt those at the receiving end were non Nigerians?

Finally,If this had happened to a PDP minister what would Adeosun have said? Dear madam I say the same!!!

• Ken

September 15, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Blueberry I understand your pain. And truth is always painful.

5. by_stander

September 15, 2018 at 9:32 am

It’s now you know that everything you claim to know about the country was only on holiday, before when you were making braindead policies you were daughter of the soil abi?

I have so much more to say about this sob story writing crazy ass document forging Accountant and was going to make a detailed post about it, but decided this was detailed enough

#Checkmate

: ) )

6. Nnenne

September 15, 2018 at 10:17 am

Resignation is an honourable thing to do in this circumstance. If we all continue this way, Nigeria will be great !

7. Suga

September 15, 2018 at 11:19 am

Aside this NYSC Saga,i strongly believe that Kemi must have been long tired of the state of country’s economy of which she manages coupled with how shameful Buhari and APC has been misrulling this country even Buharis wife must have thought of divorcing him if she sees an ample opportunity which I believe Kemi has just saw and used.AAny smart person would resign and save her face and family name at the slightest opportunity from this shameless administration before Nigerians shamefully vote them out in 2019.And to think she kept associating this administration and Buhari with”INTEGRITY” explains that she is not as innocent as some blind Nigerians are taking her to be because I’m sure she experienced first hand corruption whilst she worked under this most corrupt administration ever.Therefore Kemi would not have resigned if all has been going well with this administration and if most Nigerians have not decided to vote out Buhari and APC out in next election regardless,so she tactfully resigned before they would be unfailingly disgraced come 2019.That is also the reason a lot of our smart politicians are massively decamping from APC,so Kemi is no exception or a better Nigerian politician.Good radiance to Bad rubbish!!

8. Obafemi Michael

September 15, 2018 at 11:22 am

Yesterday as always, Southerners blame Buhari for being a sectional leader for replacing a southerner with a Northerner as DG DSS.. Today as always, we vilify and run down our own from the South. I ask, what do we really want as southerners

• nene+

September 15, 2018 at 2:45 pm

We want those with complete document. There are many of them!

9. lacey

September 15, 2018 at 12:05 pm

I don’t think she knew the document was forged ! Buhari should be the one resigning , as ordinary waec certificate he does not have! Although Kemi Adeosun was not even qualified for the role, but with that,she is even the most qualified across the set of buhari’s dumb northern team !!!
    He has used her as a sacrificial lamb to distract Nigerians! It’s remaining Osinbanjo that will be set up next!!!Then then the Buhari team will be complete, all Hausa Fulani!!! Good for Tinubu, he sold his birth right!!!

10. Physio Tinu

September 15, 2018 at 12:12 pm

I was a victim of document fraud also. Mine was VIO documents. The chap who normally does number plate registration for us and who had never failed helped with the VIO documents.
    So when oga VIO stopped me, I CONFIDENTLY handed him my documents. Brothers and sisters, the story that followed is for another day.
    Reading her letter makes me sad. Today it was her, tommorrow it could be you or I. This is wrong. This is Nigeria.

• Anon

September 15, 2018 at 10:51 pm

@Physio, it would never be me – because I would not pay touts to acquire official documents for me.

11. Cocoa

September 15, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Some of your comments are sadder than this situation itself.

Your minds new renewal in Christ.

12. Truth

September 15, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Mrs Adeosun ought to have been exempted from the program. Here is why:

She was born in England. At the time she graduated from a polytechnic she had no Nigerian citizenship. She had Nigerian parents but no Nigerian passport. She visited Nigeria all the time on UK passport. She was effectively a UK citizen.

She added a Nigerian citizenship to her status when she picked a Nigerian passport. And she did that at 34.

At 34 when she formally became a Nigerian she had passed the age for compulsory participation in the NYSC program. So she was entitled to a mandatory exemption. She could have no reasonable motive at that point to forge an exemption certificate. And she applied for the exemption.

But that was where the devil stepped in.

Our processes are tedious. Our public offices are impossible. Agents are indispensable. Those who have lived abroad are most vulnerable to these crooks who loiter around government offices. She must have trusted one of them. And that fellow must have betrayed her trust. He procured for her a ‘wait and take’ oluwole exemption certificate. And moved on.

It is sad.

It’s a technical infringement.

The police should investigate and prosecute her for forgery if the real forgers cannot be apprehended. It’s most unlikely she will be charged or convicted if charged because she couldn’t have had a reasonable motive to commit this crime. So her testimony would receive sympathy.

13. nne

September 15, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Kemi should quietly shift her unqualified self jor. I too came back after living in obodo oyibo since my teens and I too was born abroad. I enquired about NYSC and was told that I had to do it. No abroad exceptions at all. I am in my 40s, with kids – why on earth would i leave my corner to do rural suffahead? So I carried my kaya and focused on building my business. In the UK, are there not offices you go to in order to inquire about official matters? What kind of cock and bull jibberish is this about “I asked my friends.” I was told I either do NYSC or get people to do it for me or pay them for a forged document. I said no and accepted that if its God’s will that I do anything in government, the law will be changed. So Kemi just HUSH.

14. Slice

September 15, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Isn’t it legal for someone over 30 to get an exemption ? If it is, then the only issue is this certificate was fake. I don’t believe it’s worth losing a job over. She was entitled to the exemption anyway. I think most people understand what happened. Someone helped her with getting it but instead of getting it from nysc s/he chopped the money and obtained a fake one probably from awon boys in the office.

There’s the separate issue of her job performance. I don’t care for many of her policies but this is a shitty way to do away with someone that from all indications was serving with seriousness and dignity.

• Anon

September 15, 2018 at 11:22 pm

@Slice, the fact that an apparently educated and enlightened person actually believes that using a forged document to secure a public position is not enough reason to lose said position succinctly epitomizes the moral deficit that pervades much of the Nigerian public space. Sad.

• Dayo

September 15, 2018 at 11:27 pm

SLICE, she may be “entitled” to said exemption but in reality she actually NEVER got it (since she has been relying on a forged spurious piece of paper). Thus, automatically by law, she is not qualified or eligible to hold the position that she does (nor any other governmental position) in the first instance.

• Slice

September 16, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I’m sorry but that’s not how the law works. Intent matters. It has always mattered and will always matter. As long as she followed the correct process to obtain the paperwork, I would not hold anyone responsible for getting fake paper in Naija because if you go into an office and pay them yourself, they can still give you fake receipt and fake paperwork and turn around and keep the money. Our country is a mess. . Let’s not ask others to meet up with impossible standards. How was she to know the things was fake.

Btw perhaps the moral of this whole story is nysc needs to clarify their rules. There’s a comment above mine from someone who’s above 40 and her “friends” told her she has to do NYsc. I don’t think that’s correct. Where can one find official nysc rules and avoid this saga

• Dayo

September 18, 2018 at 5:08 am

@SLICE, here a very basic example….

You are born in the US, which ordinarily entitles you to US citizenship and a US passport, and accordingly you supposedly “follow the correct process” of filing out an application. However, deciding that going to the US Embassy would be too much of a hassle, you instead send an agent who subsequently returns with an Oluwole pali unbeknownst to you. When you get to the airport and your passport is discovered to be fake, what do you think would happen? Do you think that because you are legally entitled to a US passport and has supposedly “followed the correct process” you would be waved on to proceed along your merry way?

Even mere negligence (and it is termed negligence because there is NO specific INTENT) has adverse legal consequences, but in Nigeria we do things that we would not do elsewhere and then wonder why Nigeria cannot function as properly as those other countries.

15. Ken

September 15, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Blueberry I understand your pain. And truth is always painful.

16. CLEMENTINE iweh

September 15, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I am still awaiting my transcript requested to be sent to a. University here in Canada for 10 months. It takes 10 business day here. The System is messed up.

17. Mimo

September 15, 2018 at 6:01 pm

God knows the truth.

18. Dayo

September 15, 2018 at 10:48 pm

Abegi, enough with the EXCUSES!

This is how Tinubu told us that he did not know that someone wrote “University of Chicago” in his nomination form. At the end of the day, it either one of two things – she (1) KNOWINGLY or (2) GROSSLY NEGLIGENTLY participated in a forgery. Either way, she got her just desserts.