News

Here’s Why this Lagos Hawker gave all his Goods to Prisoners ??

BellaNaija.com

You probably saw the story of hawker who, when he saw a vehicle transporting prisoners, ran towards it an began shoving his goods (sausage roll) in between the metal bars to give to them.

When Brandon Stanton of Humans of New York visited Lagos recently, he spoke with the man, whose name is Ibere Ugochukwu, and he shared his story.

Here it is below:

Honestly I was about to die. And I started to pray to God. And on the tenth day, the guards decided that it would cause too much trouble to let me die. They told my employer: ‘After what we did to him, he must be innocent. Because he’d have confessed if he was guilty.’

View this post on Instagram

Shortly after arriving in Lagos, my guide showed me a story that was being passed around Nigerian social media. There was a woman who’d been stopped in traffic behind a crowded prison truck, and she witnessed a food vendor running alongside, shoving his food between the bars of the window– into the hands of the prisoners inside. By the time he was finished, he’d given away all his food. The man was himself in desperate circumstances. He was sleeping outdoors. But despite having hardly anything to give, he gave away all his merchandise. Amazingly, my guide Kola was able to locate the man. His name is Ibere Ugochukwu. And this is his story. – – “A few years ago I worked as an apprentice in a cosmetics shop. I was supposed to receive a payment at the end of my term. But I was warned by the other employees that the owner would find a reason not to pay me. He’d always invent reasons to fire his boys right before their payment. So I made the decision to quit. But when I told him, he dragged me to the police. He told them lies about me. He told them I’d stolen so much money. And they tortured me. They tied my hands and legs and they hung me from the ceiling. They beat me. I went deaf from all the slaps. For ten days I was given no food. My fellow prisoners would share little bits of their meals when they were finished. But some days I saw nothing. Honestly I was about to die. And I started to pray to God. And on the tenth day, the guards decided that it would cause too much trouble to let me die. They told my employer: ‘After what we did to him, he must be innocent. Because he’d have confessed if he was guilty.” They released me into the world like a madman. And I’ve carried the memory ever since. I promised myself that if I ever found someone in a similar situation, I would help. So when I learned that prisoners pass down this road, I chose to hawk in this location. I waited until I finally saw the truck, and I pushed all my food through the bars. My fellow vendors couldn’t believe it. They asked me who would pay me for the food. I told them: ‘I didn’t do it for any man. I did it because of what God did for me.’” (Lagos, Nigeria)

A post shared by Humans of New York (@humansofny) on

Photo Credit: @humansofny

1. Ephi

September 27, 2018 at 2:30 pm

This is such a touching story.
    Nigeria is a society where the powerful abuse their positions and power, where the innocent are treated as guilty. Very unfortunate.

• didi

September 27, 2018 at 8:07 pm

When i said there are alot of innocent people that are being wrongly accused some said it ain’t possible. This is an evidence that nigeria is blessed with good people. This is an example of a good leadership qualities. Woooow what a beautiful heart.

2. Kkay

September 27, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have doneunto me.

*Never stop doing little things for others. Sometimes those little things occupy the biggest part of their hearts.*

One doesn’t need to have a lot to give much.
    The heart expresses its love willingly without coercion.

2Cor 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
    2Cor 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Ibere Ugochukwu, God bless you.
    Your former employer will get the deserved retribution.

3. Cocoa

September 27, 2018 at 3:38 pm

He understands something many people don’t.

4. Lol

September 27, 2018 at 3:56 pm

May God bless him. Amen. May we be a nation of only passing kind acts forward amen.

5. nawa

September 27, 2018 at 4:03 pm

God bless You, Ibere Ugochokwu

6. Teary eyed Nigerian

September 27, 2018 at 4:06 pm

the story got me so emotional. Can’t believe there us still so much beauty amidst the vast ugliness. Despite the brutality, lies etc, he could have ended up bitter resentful etc but he chose to love instead .wow!

• didi

September 27, 2018 at 8:11 pm

My dear you get my point. How somebody who got hurt as far back as in the 80s comes forward to destroy her offender. I know its not easy but for your own sake forgive and let them go. God will handle it his way. Lack of forgiveness render your whole life unproductive and pitiful.

• jade

September 28, 2018 at 2:47 pm

can you shuttup. If you are referring to kavanaugh’s or cosby’s case, you are an evil person. Don’t compare the stories. To destroy her offender? What about the victim’s life that was destroyed emotinally and mentally.
      This guy made the decision to move forward and pay good. The employer that uses lies to escape paying his workers, his judgment is coming. That business will never prosper.

• Cocoa

September 28, 2018 at 7:16 pm

DIDI the offender can be forgiven but still be brought to justice. A lot of these people do not change…they mostly re-offend. It is safe for the population at large for these offenders to be removed from society for some time to hopefully reflect, encounter Christ and be reformed (-that is our prayer).

But its not UNJUST if the law catches up with anyone for their crimes. Even crimes committed in the 80s.

Afterall we will ALL stand before God and give account of our lives on earth. Some will be cast into the lake of fire for it. That is not UNJUST either.

7. by_stander

September 27, 2018 at 4:21 pm

its hard to imagine this can happen – but also hard to not believe it did happen.

So something like this nobody to look into it and confirm or deny it happened – no case in court? – we just hope he will forget?

This traffic hawker just gave away everything he has been hustling to sell – are we really this naive as a nation?

• Professor X

September 27, 2018 at 8:25 pm

The Doubting Thomases are here.
      There is video evidence of when Ibere Ugo gave away his goods (previously circulating on Instagram).
      A lady in traffic noticed his action and began filming. She later flagged him down to ask why he would give away his gala to the prisoners in the prison truck

There is really so much bitterness, ugliness and dishonesty in Nigeria that a spontaneous act of true kindness is considered staged and insincere.

• by_stander

September 28, 2018 at 11:42 am

Professor X, you need to find Y…..You are being slow today.

8. Radiant

September 27, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Amazing.

9. Baybie

September 27, 2018 at 6:20 pm

Someone should please help this guy with a better job abeg!!!

10. TEMI TOPE

September 27, 2018 at 7:36 pm

WHERE IS THE EMPLOYER..I AM SURE HE KNOWS HIS NAME AND WHERE HE IS STAYING.. HE SHOULD SUE HIM.. MY GOD.. WHAT A SHAME.. THIS IS HURTFUL.. I HAVE TEARS RIGHT NOW.. I HATE INJUSTICE.. GOD WILL PROVIDE YOU MY BROTHER.

11. Buks

September 28, 2018 at 1:17 am

This made me so emotional!

12. Ada Ada

September 28, 2018 at 10:23 am

He was given 3000 dollars from the HONY( Humans of New York) patreon. Seee God!!!