President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Sarah Omotunde Alade, as Special Adviser on Finance and the Economy. The office is domiciled in the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning.
The announcement was made by Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu via his Twitter. He wrote:
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Dr (Mrs) Sarah Omotunde Alade, as Special Adviser to the President on Finance and the Economy, domiciled in the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning.
Here are five facts about Sarah Omotunde Alade:
- She was CBN Deputy Governor, economic policy from 26th March, 2007, to 2014, when she briefly became the acting CBN Governor. She retired from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) as Deputy Governor, Economic Policy, in 2017, after spending 23 years in the apex bank.
- She attended the University of Ife, Ile-Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), where she obtained a B.Sc (Hons) degree in Economics in 1976. She also obtained an M.Comm degree at the University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, in 1983, and a Ph.D Management Science (Operations Research), from the University of Ilorin in 1991.
- She started working in 1977 with the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, Ilorin, Kwara State. In 1991, she joined the University of Ilorin as a lecturer in the Department of Accounting and Finance.
- She joined the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1993 as an Assistant Director in the Research Department, where she served as Head, State Government Finance Office (1993-1996), Head, Federal Government Finance Office (1996-2000), and Head, Fiscal Analysis Division (2000-2004).
- She was appointed Director, Banking Operations Department in May 2004. In that capacity, she served as Chairman Board of Directors, Nigeria Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS) as well as Secretary, National Payments System Committee (NPSC).