CANOE Quarterly launches in Lagos

canoe-mag-africacanoe-black_pearlcanoe-ebony_swirl2canoe-love_sails2canoe-premierecanoe-mint_gold

CANOE, a quarterly luxury lifestyle magazine recently launched at the Auto Lounge in Lagos.
According to the publishers, CANOE magazine, created by the CANOE Group in Accra, will inspire a new generation of Africans with style, intelligence and creativity. Every season, this exciting full-colored magazine showcases stories on fashion, beauty, home, lifestyle, sports and business; essentially shedding light on the various dimensions of Africa’s progress, whilst simultaneously paying homage to our strong African heritage. CANOE is the International African Magazine for the global African. “We are as interested in the history as we are in the future,” explains Sefa Gohoho, CANOE’s Business Director, and one of the founders of the Canoe Group.

While CANOE is a luxury brand, the editorial in CANOE moves beyond mere consumerism. CANOE is a guide to accumulating real wealth, preserving capital and building legacies that can be passed on from generation to generation. “The Africa I know has intelligent, successful and beautiful people.” says publisher and CEO Kweku Ansah, founder of the CANOE Group. The current issues features Nicola Sackey (Winner of Miss Ghana UK 2008) on the cover. CANOE magazine will be distributed in Ghana, Nigeria, Botswana, Zambia, Kenya, South Africa, Liberia, Egypt, Gambia and Sierra Leone in Africa; the United Kingdom; and New York, Atlanta, California and Chicago in the United States of America.

canoe-mag-launch-bella-naija_001

Bantu

canoe-mag-launch-bella-naija_002

The mag on display

canoe-mag-launch-bella-naija_003

Event guests

canoe-mag-launch-bella-naija_005

Denrele

canoe-mag-launch-bella-naija_020

Sasha

canoe-mag-launch-bella-naija_026

Olisa Adibua

canoe-mag-launch-bella-naija_029

Ugoma of Zebra Living

This is an interesting initiative with potential, BN Readers – what do you think about this new crop of glossy Pan-African lifestyle magazines? Are they culturally relevant and will they be effective in changing the perceptions of Africa and Africans?

16 Comments on CANOE Quarterly launches in Lagos
  • chilli March 30, 2009 at 11:32 am

sasha looks sooooo blown up…is she a balloon or something? the look aint werking for me abeg….

• Lamide March 30, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I’ve seen the mag, great quality and nice content, hope it sticks around!

• nne March 30, 2009 at 2:05 pm

lol Derenle should find somewhere to seat plsssssssssssssssss

• Ladi March 30, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I like this…and I like thats it is by a Ghanaian group (whilst not hating on Nigerians oh!)

• Nneka March 30, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Oh my, where on earth does Derele shop??? I can see that dude heading down the Charley Boy path big time. The cover photos are clean and catchy. Good luck to CANOE!

• Mary March 30, 2009 at 4:41 pm

He is seroiusly HOT MESS smelling boy

• delilah March 30, 2009 at 6:21 pm

ahn ahn how is sasha blown up????? Are you trying to say she is fat?? please allow her…her look doesn’t have to “werk” for you..shes fly

• tomi March 30, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Denrele looks fantastic!

He is actually a budding designer and he designs all his pieces himself. Those trousers are giving me serious Balmain envy and the jacket is gorge…The boots are one buckle too far for me, but they work for him.

I love that there are still (a few!) people in naij that refuse to be fashion follow-follows. Thank God he has too strong a character to ever be swayed by the opinions of the narrow-minded.

More grease to his elbow!

• aosgrl March 30, 2009 at 7:02 pm

What? there was no light at the event?

• Swit Pincher March 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Regarding your question at the end, I think that these magazines, in addition to other facets of the luxury industry, have a chance of making it. What you need to make a luxury industry flourish is, in part, a strong middleclass/uppermiddle class with money to spend. There appears to be a proto-middle class developing in Nigeria–people who are not rich but can holiday in London, buy blackberries, own a laptop, pay to go to the movies, buy non-pirated books, cds, etc. This group, not really the millionaires, are the ones that keep the luxury industry going.

Not to mention a growing celebrity industry that you guys at Bella Naija are doing a good job of monetizing.

• tomi March 30, 2009 at 11:40 pm

If you knew the guy, you would know that he is super sweet and very,very humble and far from a poseur. This isnt an act or an affectation but a true expression of who he is.

Look at the detail on the jacket and the trousers. Its painstaking and beautiful and all done by his hand. Most people wouldnt put all those pieces together, but who says he has to be most people.

Some people arent TRYING to be different, they just ARE! These are generally the early adopters of an idea that in 3yrs time will trickle down and become acceptable to the fashion follow-follows and then they will ask for one in every colour.

“….but when someone looks like he just stinks of moth balls,butt-juice,pink-oil spray and all things musty…..look at me, i am different..there is a niche for this madness in nigeria,so i derele have chosen to be the torchbearer for this insanity”

Wow! that is a lot of venom directed at someone you dont know based on their clothing choice…remind me not to get on your bad side.lol!

• tomi March 30, 2009 at 11:57 pm

One man’s freak is another mans stunning.

If Im being honest I find women who wear Thomas Pink shirts and tight Joseph trousers accessorised with Gucci sunglasses, LV bags and a defensive scowl to cocktail parties quite offensive. It gives me the impression that they think the material cost of the items makes up for their “taste” being banal.

That is my idea of a freak…………..actually its not, because I would never use that term to describe another human being especially when we are just talking about clothes.

I think I respond to Denrele because I enjoy people who have a distinct point of view, whether it suits me or not. I have a prejudice against people I find sheepish and conformist but Im working on that cos who am I to judge

“A Chaqun Son Goût…” x

• tobe March 31, 2009 at 2:01 am

Denrele nailed it…..Hollywood has not seen him yet

• tatafo! March 31, 2009 at 4:54 am

Denrele is so cool, I really admire how he usually has a camera ready face with a smile or a look.

• Kay April 5, 2009 at 2:23 am

OMG! I just love that Vintage Mercedes Benz on their premier edition!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stanley August 3, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I think CANOE is the best mag ever made in Africa-its content and quality can pass will glow anywhere in the world. Good job to the people behind it- Sefa Gohoho and crew… Your concept is great.