Naming Game: Who are your favourite Writers?

Posted on Monday, June 22nd, 2009 at 8:04 AM

By Temitayo Olofinlua

We believe on Bookaholic that one of the secrets to being a fantastic writer is to read about good writers (their works and interviews); we snooped this one out for you…

Pambazuka interviews Binyajavanga Wanaina, Kenyan founding editor of Kwani here; he talks about many things including his desire to start an online course in Creative Writing soon. When asked for five favourite authors, Binyavanga mentioned six:

• Kojo Laing, writer of Search Sweet Country, the greatest novel to come out of Africa.
  • Saul Bellow – love his riff and sentences…
  • Ahmadou Kourouma, Waiting for the Wild Beasts to Vote, was a beautifully structured novel, and worked sooo well.
  • Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Half of a Yellow Sun, is a book of true commitment and love – I love many things about it, most of all I love the idea of somebody writing about Biafra, which happened after she was born. A huge task, fraught with risks, but she did it.
  • Chinua Achebe – I love all his work, feel very privileged to work with him at Bard College.
  • Witold Gombrowicz – love his absurd, dense books, with so many tiny human and natural transactions…

Who are your favourite writers? Let us know on Bookaholic

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 13 Comments on “Naming Game: Who are your favourite Writers?”

Comments
    • chayoma June 23, 2009 at 2:14 AM

love “half of a yellow sun” and “purple Hibiscus” ….Adiche is awesome…
      Achebe is a genius.

Fitzgerald
      Onaatje
      G.G. Marquez
      Dostoevsky
      Jean Rhys
      Dionne Brand
      and the list….kai is endless O.

• Nkem June 23, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Sefi Atta, Adichie, Ekwensi, Soyinka, Echewa, Emecheta, Achebe, Nwapa and my new favorite book, “I do not come to you by chance” by Adaobi Nwaubani — I just love Nigerian/African writers. I suppose their works are something I can relate to very well

• DatgirlJ June 24, 2009 at 3:25 AM

I’m a book whore, however, a few of the authors in my bookshelf are, Chimamanda Adichie
      Ekene Onu
      Chris Abani
      James Patterson
      Karen Kingsbury
      Chinua Achebe
      Wole Soyinka
      Sefi Atta
      Mitch Albom
      Carloz Ruiz Zafon, and many more.
      And yes, they are all my fave!

• Chinny June 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I read widely(anything i lay me hands on) bt afew of my fave authors-chinua Achebe, Chimamanda N Adichie(drowns u in2 her fictional world with tresses of words),Wole Soyinka,patterson,Yancey

• randommer June 24, 2009 at 4:28 PM

people on my book shelf
      chinua achebe
      roald dahl
      agatha christie
      sophie kinsella/madeleine wickham
      chimamanda adichie
      sefi atta
      ekene onu

• Vicki June 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I like works of Adichie, Achebe, Soyinka et al but this guy Helon Habila was genius in Waiting for an Angel and Measuring Time. Kudos to African writers worldwide!

• amina June 28, 2009 at 11:49 PM

the concubine by elechi amadi.

• Bobby Taylor June 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Ekene Onu
      Oyinkan Braithwaite
      Chiedu Ifeozo

• Chinwe June 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Nigerian authors who made me fall in love with reading:

Cyprian Ekwensi
      Eddie Iroh
      Wole Soyinka

I loved CALL ME MICHAEL, I can’t for the life of me remember who wrote the book

• Mina July 1, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Haven’t read a lot of books though, but i’m about to start and build a diverse library, but so far…

Chinua Achebe
      Chimamanda Adichie

• medi September 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM

sidney sheldon, Jackie collins, Dan Brown, any time, anyday..

• ammy July 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM

chinua achebe, chimamanda adichie, helon habila, athol fugard: “Sizwe Bansi is dead” and ” old man and the meda,l” emechetta, mariama ba: “so long a letter.” believe me i can go on and on