Nse Ikpe Etim – An interview with Nollywood’s IT Girl

Nollywood's IT Girl

Nollywood's IT Girl

As I sit in the comfortable arm chair in Producer, Emem Isong’s sitting room, I await the arrival of her house guest, Nse Ikpe Etim the fast rising star in Nollywood; the lady that gave Femi, (Ramsey Noah’s character) a run for his money in the movie ‘Reloaded’. Her performance as the fiery wife of a philandering husband really struck a cord with viewers, earning her fans (especially among the female folk) everywhere and it even got her nominated for Best Actress at the last Africa Movie Awards (AMA), no small feat for a newcomer.

All sorts of thoughts rush through my mind as I wait for her …. What will she be like? Haughty? Or fiery like the character, Omoze which she played in ‘Reloaded’? How do we greet? With the cursory peck? Handshake? What?!!… as the thoughts swirl round my mind, I hear footsteps on the staircase and the lady in question, Nse, floats down the staircase in a free, flowing kaftan, her hair loosely pulled into a chignon. Her face, make up-free, is glowing, radiant in the midday sun. I am taken aback by her simplicity and quiet beauty and can’t help but stare awkwardly. She smiles broadly, putting me at ease and I respond immediately, giving her the cursory peck on two cheeks. On meeting Nse for the first time, she strikes you as the girl next door, simple, almost tomboyish. She crosses her legs elegantly and I begin to pick her brain, wanting to know what makes her tick. She says I should use the acronym NILE which is her nickname.

BA: When did you know you had it in you to act?

NILE: When I was 18 though it was strictly stage and not TV. You see I studied Theatre Arts in University of Calabar.

BA: When did you go into acting full time?

NILE: Well, I acted in a soap 10yrs ago called ‘Inheritance’ then left to do things before coming back to act ‘Reloaded’.Nse...pensive

BA: Other things such as?

Nile: well, I worked in a radio station, a bank, managed a clothing store amongst other things.

BA: Trying to find your feet, right?

NILE: You could say that.

BA:What made you decide to pick ‘Reloaded?’

NILE: It was a fun script and I enjoyed reading and working on part of the dialogue. Also the producer Emem is a friend. She let me know I had it in me to handle the part.

BA: Do you enjoy harassing the living daylights out of people as you did Femi, your co-star played by Ramsey?

NILE: (laughter) Only my friends! I can be a real pain in the arse! I tell you, you take me in small doses!

BA: What brought out the fire in you in ‘Reloaded’?

NILE: The fact that I got to act with such a great actor, Ramsey. He made me up my game.

BA: Could you do half as much as Omoze (your character in ‘Reloaded’) to someone who really ticks you off?

NILE: (smiles) Everybody is capable of being an Omoze.

BA: So who is Nse Ikpe-Etim?

NILE: A simple girl from Akwa Ibom that loves to cook.

Nse and Majid

Nse and Majid

Ramsey and Nse

With Ramsey Nouah on set

BA: Lets talk about ‘Guilty Pleasures’ your latest film.

NILE: No fiery tempers there… I’m a pampered, spoilt wife that needs her husband’s attention, not only his money, so I search for it in other places. This leads to disastrous consequences.

BA: What was it like working with Majid Michel (actor from Ghana)

NILE: Majid is a darling… so funny. We had a good laugh acting together.

BA: I saw some pretty steamy scenes in the promo… Is it all real?

NILE: (laughs) Ofcourse not… we are in the world of make-believe. We make you believe it’s real.

BA: Nigerian films are getting pretty raunchy these days and the actors more daring. It seems you like to push the envelope..

NILE: Why do you say that?

BA: Well, the (first) poster for one, in ‘Guilty Pleasures’ it like no-holds-barred…

NILE: Guilty Pleasures is a very intense love story… there is no way we could portray that without kissing… but it just that… a kiss! As for the poster… its art, pure and simple…it wasnt distasteful… i didnt reveal anything inappropriate.

Nollywood’s IT Girl

Hmm… interesting… so what drives you?

NILE: Fear of failure. I hate to fail.

BA: And have you failed before?

NILE: Ofcourse but you jump up and move on.

BA: Do you have any regrets in life?

NILE: (Thoughful) Yes that I don’t have a child yet.

BA: That can be remedied.

NILE: I know I just wish I had one already.

BA: So what next for the simple girl from Akwa Ibom?

NILE: Whatever God has in store for me.

BA: Which is specifically?

NILE: Well, I have acted several films after ‘Reloaded’ some are yet to come out. There is ‘Edikan’ which is an indigenous film acted in Ibibio language; that has come out,…. there is also ‘Memories of the Heart which I acted with Ini Edo and Mona Lisa’ and ‘Bursting Out’ with Genevieve Nnaji and Omoni Oboli. They should come out hopefully before the end of the end of the year or at least the first quarter of next year.

BA: So whats next for Nse?

NILE: Isn’t that one enough for now? (general laughter)

BA: Okay….I’ll let you off the hook… for now!

(Laughter)

BA: I wish you the best, Nse.

NILE: Thank you. I wish you the same.

BA: Thanks for your time.

NILE: You’re welcome.

36 Comments on Nse Ikpe Etim – An interview with Nollywood’s IT Girl
  • sweetie October 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm

love her to bits!!!

• FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere October 22, 2009 at 11:09 pm

me too….beautiful and talented

• anon October 23, 2009 at 12:25 am

her boobs are GORGEOUS!

• Adwoa October 23, 2009 at 12:28 am

EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE IN “GUILTY PLEASURE” KEEP UP WITH THE GOOD WORK. GOD BLESS YOU.
    YOU ARE VERY TALENTED.

• Buttermint October 23, 2009 at 1:17 am

oh my gush…I love this chik…she certainly gives Genevive a run for her money….i watched guilty pleasures and reloaded all i coudl say was WOAH….who rrraaa heck is this gyal…..

• Juno October 23, 2009 at 1:27 am

Loved her in Reloaded. She’s got the ‘IT’ factor alright. Reminds me a lot of Genevieve in terms of talent and just pure commitment to their craft. Ramsey Nouah is really upping his game. I loved him in Reloaded and also in The Figurine. Overall, I wasn’t too crazy about Guilty Pleasures…something was off for me. I wish the whole story was just about Nse/Ramsey/Majid. They should have cut of the Omoni/Mercy Johnson story and the movie would have been tighter. The supporting acts-Rukky/Nse’s ex etc were very weak links.

I can say this for Nse, she’s got a great sense of style…elegant and simple.

• Deshina October 23, 2009 at 2:19 am

I belive this is the girl that is going to not only overthrow Genevieve as the so called Queen of nollywood,but she will lead and others will struggle to catch up with her.
    Her acting is outstanding and her delivery puts her on par with the underestimated Bimbo Akintola.

All the best Nse–if i ever wanted any Nollywood star to win an oscar at some point,i would hope it would be you.

You are good.

• nikki October 23, 2009 at 4:33 am

love her she is really good at what she does, very very good.

• Miss Tell it Like it is October 23, 2009 at 7:26 am

Bola good job.
    Nse – you know we down for you forever.
    Continue to enjoy this birthday month – We love you like condensed milk toffeee.

• 2gems (Dith) October 23, 2009 at 9:21 am

Ever so rarely do you get a NEW nollywood actress who stood out b’cos of her outstanding performance.
    Most other newbies are mainly noticed for their looks, showing skin and acting razz which is cool and all….I mean it is indeed naija abi??
    but Nse is a breath of fresh air
    Nse, the sky is your starting point (literally).
    Keep it up gorgeous and do not lose yourself.

• bussy October 23, 2009 at 10:45 am

i love her!!..she’s sooo talented..

• bunmi akinwusi October 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm

she’s gorge…..!rly good at wat she does…keep it up,nile!

• rare gem October 23, 2009 at 1:18 pm

i love wat shes doin…muah!

• andtherewere2 October 23, 2009 at 1:21 pm

some of the most beautiful boobs i ever saw

• vic October 23, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I really loved her in Reloaded!!She made me watch the film 3 times just to see her excellent “craziness”

Keep it up girl!!1
    Better go and get “Guilty Pleasures” and see my recent fav actress

• Aisha October 23, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Men, I love that girl. She is so real and pulls you into her movies. She is also not razz. I like the way she carries herself. More grease to ur elbow Nse. Will love to see you in more movies, just saw Guilty Pleasures, loved it. Well done to Emem Isong too, she is brillant.Pls Nse stay the same, only become better.

• Harry October 23, 2009 at 6:29 pm

She is goood!!! Loved her in Reloaded!

• Omowa October 23, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Yup, Nse’s got star quality. U go girl…Nollywood’s IT girl

• snaz October 24, 2009 at 12:01 am

i think she’s quite a refined actress and classy too…….really like the way she acts!!!

• Rebecca Roberts October 26, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I love Nse, and she looks so goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

• Olówó October 26, 2009 at 8:03 pm

She feels like a breath of fresh air in Nollywood. Like others said, I re-watched “reloaded” just to see her scenes with Ramsey, the two of them brought out the best in each other. I can’t wait to see her in more movies. Good luck to her.

• tele November 2, 2009 at 9:50 am

she’s goooooooooooood,at least some one different from wat we’ve been served in the past,keep it up girl

• titi November 3, 2009 at 3:08 am

i love love love this girl,damn gd actress,wher has she been all of nollywood s life?is guilty pleasures out?

• Linda Lopz November 16, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Yup, it’s out. I saw it last month. Dat movie is sick, and I don’t mean sick in a bad way. I mean it in a totally gud way. It’s a must see movie!

• black nubia November 23, 2009 at 12:58 am

she is really good,she is different from usual nollywood actors,she made me watch reloaded over and over again,i still cant delete the movie from my lappie….looking forward to seeing more of her in nollywood

• chuks November 27, 2009 at 6:16 pm

She seems nice. We need more raising stars to challenge the established Nollywood artists. Keep them on her toes. Reloaded was a pretty awesome film. Lots of personality and rive

http://afrika.am/ | Watch Nollywood movies online Now!

• michele December 5, 2009 at 7:22 am

my god, she is great, she is so beautiful, so sassy, and real, keep it up girl, nollywood will be fools not to give this girl more roles, she is very different than most of these others you see, she stands out and she demands attention from her audience, she is great… keep it up girl,,

• mimi December 5, 2009 at 4:00 pm

omg…nse is d best!!luvd her in inheritance even if i neva undastood d story, RELOADED, & GUILTY PLEASURES had 2 watch it again wit my b.f while we were talkng on skype…dat movie givs me shivers….she is guuddd… :) we nid mre pple lke dis…

• Corrina December 6, 2009 at 1:44 am

She had a small part in my brother my keeper with Desmond, Chinda, Bassey ,etc. She is great

• Ife. December 6, 2009 at 8:01 am

How do I watch the movies she acted in with the link you gave? searched for guilty pleasures and reloaded but nothing came up!

• Sandy December 31, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I really liked Nse in Reloaded..No pretense or fuss…… just damn good acting .I’m about to watch Guilty Pleasures…keep up the good work girl!!!

• idoreyin January 14, 2010 at 12:59 am

i really do love Nse and she is right when she said she is a simple girl and loves to cook, she was the first person who taught me how to bake a cake from scratch…

• Doris May 30, 2011 at 3:45 am

i love her n my sis love her more

• kwame kwame September 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I will give up everything to meet this beauty. Amazing that Nigeria (of all countries) should produce such a charming beauty. She , Genevieve, Stella Damasus, Omotola, Ramsey Nuah, Demijo, and my main man, Mike Ezereounye, are a glory to Nigeria and Africa. But Nse rules the universe!

• S,O. October 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm

i love her.. she is pretty and can act:)) she was really funny in reloaded:)) keep up the good work:D