In Pursuit of the Flesh

Caution: Religous content HIGH!

Two weeks ago I went for the 9:30 services at House on the Rock, where Pastor Paul Adefarasin was preaching the second series on Passion, Purpose and Purity.

It was exactly where I need to be and what I needed to hear. He said something I have always known and had somehow negated to the back of my mind.

All fornicators, masturbators and adulterers will not enter Heaven.

I have been a Christian for a long time, so I won’t say that what he said was a revelation. More an affirmation of what the bible teaches and a reminder to people like me who may have forgotten or chosen to ignore this salient tenets of the Christian faith.

I left church that day with a renewed vigor and earnestness to live for the pleasure of godly things. I wanted to live right. If I am honest, I have known for a while now that my desire for many worldly benefits has all but choked my relationship with the Almighty. But as good seeds often fall among weeds which choke their ability to grow, so did the desires of my flesh begin to choke this all important word that had been sown in my heart and spirit. And before sundown my mind had drifted into places it had no business being while my flesh was doing the hula!

Where do I start from really! I plan to do good but instead of the good I want, I see myself performing the bad I promised God not to do! This is a huge problem for me, because I never really had such issues.

There was a time in my life, not too long ago, where God was my best friend. I woke up bright and early on Sunday morning ready to run to church and sing in the choir or dance with the church dance group. I worshiped God like my life depended on it, and my heart would literally feel like it was floating towards heaven with each song I sang. But ever since I moved back to Nigeria, this relationship is almost non existent. I find myself gravitating towards the need to fulfill fleshly desires instead of earnestly seeking things of the Spirit.

I discussed this with fellow Bella Naija editor Jibola L and he too has been going through the same struggle. He told me how despite practically growing up in the choir, his adolescent curiosity had lured him away from almost any form of godly convictions so much so he wasn’t sure of the direction of his moral compass.

It’s almost like with age our hormones have now possessed a mind of their own and have reached the point of no control. I’ll be honest with you guys, I am well and truly stumped on this one. I have prayed, willed myself to do good and all but chained my body to a cross. But nothing seems to be working. Why is it so hard to control ones fleshly desires? Why is it that no matter how hard I try I find my flesh working against any form of godly conduct?

These are the kind of questions I have been asking myself as I wrote this article. In fact this is one of the most difficult articles I have ever written. Generally, I am the sort of person that feels there is a lot of strength in sharing ones personal experiences and being real and honest about where you are. But I have learnt the hard way that the Nigerian culture does not permit such outward signs of weakness. So I have had to write this knowing that there will be judgmental eyes following me around from the moment this article is published. But I really cannot be bothered at this point. I think I have come to a point where I am tired of living in the dark, hiding and suffering spiritually. When I know there is much more to be gained by being honest and open about my struggle, especially when I know I am not alone.

So as I wrote this I realized that the journey towards godly character is a process, a slow, difficult process of weaning, discipline and perseverance. One that you cannot start and hope to finish in a day. It is a constant struggle between choices, each choice taking you a step further towards your goal or backwards. It is a struggle I have decided to win. One I have decided to fight for daily. I know there will be days where I will fail miserably, yet again. There may be days where I will be tempted to throw in the towel. But I will continue to go back to the One who knows me best, ask for forgiveness and start again.

As with all forms of repentance, it comes with the realization that there is very little good in you. In fact given half the chance I may never be able to make one godly decision on my own. Maybe that is why God has given us grace. Maybe that is why His love is unconditional, why His mercies are new every morning. Because He knows at each point we will fail, He will be right there, ready and waiting to pick us up, wipe us clean and give us a new armour to start afresh. Maybe that is why He has paid the ultimate sacrifice for us. So we don’t have to do it all alone.

So here is my own role. To stand up every time I fall and keep walking, knowing that one day, God’s grace will lead me home.

Photo credit: http://wfmu.org

64 Comments on In Pursuit of the Flesh
  • Hgurl September 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hello Glory,
    I love the fact that you are being open about your struggles spiritually. I have been there, I go there daily or even more often. :)
    Then I remember God says His strength’s made perfect in our weakness, and I’m thankful cos I know its another opportunity to e recharged by His Spirit.
    Don’t worry, times like these come so we realise He’s the only One we’ll ever need. No amount of material stuff or physical relationships can change that truth.
    Be of good cheer, renew your mind with His Word and reminders of how much He loves you.
    Try reading ‘From the CROSS to Pentecost’ by Bishop T.D. Jakes, it’ll help.
    Also remember to smile cos’ Jesus loves YOU.

• FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere September 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm

anybody that does not have a real, personal and spiritual relationship with God will not enter heaven!

• AJIKE GOLD October 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm

true.but the word says even” our righteousness is like filthy rag”,its by HIS grace and mercy.lets all just keep rising anytime we fall and not continue in sin because our greatest enemy seeks whom to destroy.

• Yhemmi September 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I love the fact that u were honest about your feelings… the truth is most of us go through this but as you mentioned, the society we live in doesnt allow us show signs of weakness… the fact that you can go realize the sin, back to our father and ask for forgiveness shows his spirit is within…
    God will surely deliver us….

• temi September 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm

WOW! i was thinking the same thing last night. I haven’t moved to naija yet and i am going through that, what will happen when i move? Nigeria we grew up in is no longer the Nigeria it use to be. It seems to get worst each passing year. Christianity is no longer viewed as a rewarding experience as corruption and competition to out do each other is now the way forward. I pray God helps us all :( I know i need it.

• deirdre December 8, 2010 at 7:08 am

Temi- u need to be strong. Just like Gloria, I was hearing and “seeing” God’s hand in my life on daily basis. People saw how I had grown in the Lord since meeting him in 2003. Then I moved to 9ja in July 2009, tried several churches, tried to mingle with ppl who were “supposedly” xtian ladies (biggest disappointment ever), ….to cut long story short, i have since moved back to the states a lil over a month ago and dont see myself moving back!

• TD September 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Amazing article!! I applaud your openess; and I pray that God’s grace will equip you with the strength you need on a daily basis.

• FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere September 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm

My dear as you said it is a constant struggle.Once upon a time, i was living and breathing God. Now, i dont even know where i stand, early this year i started bordering on the line of aethism (sad innit?) then i decided God existed but still did nothing about my spiritual walk.I think i have been to church a total of 4 times this year and i havent read my bible at home by myself in almost two years. The last time i was in church, i couldnt even open my bible to the passage the pastor asked us to because i had forgotten which book was which.Yesterday, after attending church over the weekend,I decided to start afresh, i know it’s not going to be easy..

This past wkend in church, the Pastor said; God knows our minds and he knows we are not perfect.The bible said “And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” so basically, we can never ever be perfect.God will keep working on us till he comes back.The most important thing, is to try hard to please God.It doesnt mean we should sin since we know we are not perfect.But it is about God seeing that we are willing to please him and walk with him.

• MiaJadore September 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I am guessing by this comment, we should disregard your first comment then right?

• jane doe September 21, 2010 at 11:36 pm

lol

• FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere September 22, 2010 at 2:42 am

Nope, that comment still stands!I just dont agree with Pastor A’s statement.In all i believe our personal walk with God is the most important.Cos, either way we will sin regardless of what that sin is.

• Egochi September 29, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I do not agree with Pastor A’s comment as well. Am not saying it is okay to masturbate, commit adultery or fornicate. It is not in his place to decide who goes to heaven and who does not. Where is the message of forgiveness!!!.

• OREKELEWA November 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm

HE IS NOT DECIDING WHO IS GOIN TO HEAVEN OR HELL>>>>HE’S ONLY TELLIN U WAT GOS HAS SAID-SINCE CLEARLY NOT ER1 READS DAT!! THIS SHLDNT BE A PERSONAL ATTACK ON PASTOR A, COS HEZ NOT D FIRST NEITHER WOULD HE BE THE LAST TO SAY SO….SO WISE UP, ACCEPT THE TRUTH,STOP LIVING IN LIES……COS ITS SOOOOOO TRUE!

• nkemgi September 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm

nice write up glory. i ve been dere and won the tshirt but like u said his mercies re infinite and no matter how often we fall, we will always rise up. his grace will continually strenghten us to the end.

• Ronnie September 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Wow! I so identify with you Gloria!Dont know what happened to me after i moved to Naija two years ago.It’s been so tough spiritually and sometimes I’m ashamed to keep in touch with my old friends cos they still seem so spiritual but God’s unfailing love never leaves me. He always whispers I love you inspite of you and that revs me up again.I still struggle with the word and stuff but…..

• Molicious September 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Amazing message! Thanks for sharing and remember “we fall down but we get up, for a saint is just a sinner who fell down and got up” – Donnie M. Have a heart for God and renew your mind always; in our weakness is HIS strength made perfect.

• Iphie September 21, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Well done girl for being bold enough to write what most of us are thinking, feeling and experiencing. I don’t have much more to add to what most others have said but remember God sees your heart and that is what matters most. As he sees your desire to be more like him, and your efforts to draw unto him, he will draw unto you, meeting you at your point of need. What he requires is a broken spirit and a contrite heart. I would also advice that you “stay connected”, and by this I mean to his word. Try to go to a spirit filled church at least once a week, leave your radio/TV on a Christian channel even if not paying full attention (the little drops you pick up do matter) and fill your iPod with good, inspiring music (helps me a great deal) because faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. And for days when you “fail”, remember that a saint (according to Donnie McClukin, Grammy Award Gospel Singer) is just a sinner who falls down and gets up!

• ibinike September 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm

God indeed knows our heart but the scriptures admonished us that every one who bears the name of christ should depart (flee, avoid) iniquity. We can play our part by living ech day in his consciousness. The world we live in makes it difficult; but that is if we try in our own strength. His grace is sufficient. Glory, I came accross a site that has been tremendously useful to me in my walk. check out http://spiritualfuel.org

• Phury September 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Amen sister. Amen.

• toju olley douglas September 21, 2010 at 7:27 pm

wow! You are truely a honest person, will have to save this link so i can read it over again. Truth is we all go through this struggle every days of our lives, permit me to say its even more difficult for our pastors. I go through this too, but thank God for his grace that is sufficient for us when we call on him. Many times we engage in sexual frivolities knowing fully well that it is wrong, then we do it any way cos of d cares of the world. Many times we find it difficult to pray and talk to our creator becos we feel unclean, sometimes, i just wonder how come i dont get crushed by a car or something. But word’s word said, while we are yet sinners, christ died for us. Funny thing is d devil capitalise on those period so that we cant have a communion with GOD. For me? It could be terrible, i won’t go to church, praying becomes a huge task for me…but if only our eyes are open to spiritual things , we will not allow d devil to interfer with our relationship with christ.
    Back then when i was in skol, sex was so the trend of daily discussions in class rooms and hostels, that if you dont get involve, you will not have friends around you, that at a point, i could not stop but wonder if sex was d right thing, then not doing it was the wrong thing.
    Anyway, i was in church that day as well, and i realised we all have issues, however i pray for the grace not to go back to such sin anymore, cos i realise God does not need 95% or 99% but totality. The soul that sinneth shall die! But all we can do and ask for, is to be in tune with the holyspirit at all times and he will help our weaknesses

• justme September 21, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I seriously dont think anyone who masturbates will go to hell! Preachers should be very careful of what they spew out!

• ego September 21, 2010 at 8:39 pm

infact justme, thank you very much. I don’t understand when this pastor became God and decided to make all these declarations. I think Glory should ask the pastor if he really practices what he preaches. God is everywhere, read your Bible; most of the great men in the Bible committed murder, adultery, fornication etc but God loved them still.
      I am sick and tired of these ‘fake’ Nigerian pastors that use the Bible to threaten people with the danger of hell especially when they are not certain they’ll make heaven themselves. God is Love focus on that and not the nonsense this pastor is preaching. I think it is better they preach about safe sex as oppossed to abstinence because there many pple f~*&ing out there who pretend that they are not. And that is most Pastors included.
      A pastor has no buines telling people that they won’t make heaven, that in itelf is BLASPHEMY!!! HE IS NOT GOD!!!

• F September 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm

you are both right in certain ways. The Bible is full of misfits that will make anyone blush. David killed Bathersheba’s husband so he could cover up his mistake. That could definitely make its way into any Jerry Springer episode. But the misfits that wanted to be close to God always repented and although they fought hard with their bodies’ desires, they always went back to their creator. David wrote more than half of the PSalms. the truth is that God is holy and just and he’ll judge sin. No one is perfect, the Bible says if you are able to live the life you preach, then you are fortunate. But yet, these standards are God’s way of protecting us. Personally, i’ve struggled with many of the standards the Bible put up but in my little life’s experience, when i go against it, i cause myself so much pain, and when i follow it, i reap the rewards of being wise. It boils down to one thing, Jesus says if you love me, you’ll follow my commandments. You can’t love Jesus and love what the Bible calls sin. Let’s not turn this really raw personal post that Glory has wonderfully written into a religious argument.

• IfollowwhattheBiblesays September 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Please do not mislead people. It is written in the Bible. Paul said it at least twice. Here is a passage of 1 Corinthians 7:1 to 5 where he alludes to masturbation : 7:1 Now, as to the things in your letter to me: It is good for a man to have nothing to do with a woman.
        7:2 But because of the desires of the flesh, let every man have his wife, and every woman her husband.
        7:3 Let the husband give to the wife what is right; and let the wife do the same to the husband.
        7:4 The wife has not power over her body, but the husband; and in the same way the husband has not power over his body, but the wife.
        7:5 Do not keep back from one another what is right, but only for a short time, and by agreement, so that you may give yourselves to prayer, and come together again; so that Satan may not get the better of you through your loss of self-control.

As I said I totally agree with Glory. I am going through the same thing she is and I thought I was possesed by some demon and I went to see my pastor who reassured me that it was not the case. But I was scared. I couldn’t understand what was happening to me. I’ve been doing those frivolous things for years now and it never bothered me and like justme I chose to believe that masturbating would not bring me to hell. But after 15 years of masturbation and regular sex all this became dull and soon I began to fantisize on weird sex and all this became addictive and the more you push the envelope the more you grow unsatisfied and when you try everything and everything becomes unsatisfying it’s just out of control. I thought I was going nuts! Thank to God I remebered who I was before. This innocent Christian Church going girl who didn’t think about crazy sex all the time. I went back to Church immediately and began this process. I know it’s gonna be hard but I am not going back to that sinful life and that evil place. To those who want to pick and choose what suits them in the Bible, I will say be careful, it might hit you in the face later on in your life. If it’s written in the Bible you better follow it and obey. Your interpretation is not an option.

• IfollowwhattheBiblesays September 21, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I totally agree with you. I am going through the same thing and I thought I was possesed by some demon and I went to see my pastor who reassured me that it was not the case. But I was scared. I couldn’t understand what was happening to me. I’ve been doing those frivolous things for years now and it never bothered me and like justme I chose to believe that masturbating would not bring me to hell. But after 15 years of masturbation and regular sex all this became dull and soon I began to fantisize on weird sex and all this became addictive and the more you push the envelope the more you grow unsatisfied and when you try everything and everything becomes unsatisfying it’s just out of control. I thought I was going nuts! Thank to God I remebered who I was before. This innocent Christian Church going girl who didn’t think about crazy sex all the time. I went back to Church immediately and began this process. I know it’s gonna be hard but I am not going back to that sinful life and that evil place. To those who want to pick and choose what suits them in the Bible, I will say be careful, it might hit you in the face later on in your life. If it’s written in the Bible you better follow it and obey. Your interpretation is not an option.

• ego September 21, 2010 at 11:12 pm

It is people like yourself that make pastors play God. You equate going to church with being good. Don’t be deceived. You felt you were possessed because you yielded to your natural urges? you need to get a grip. I think you started enjoying it a bit too much hence ur addiction. But don’t be deceived that you are going to hell becaue you touched urself. I think the world has bigger issues than that. I wish you could see what your pastor does behind closed doors. I can bet my last dollar that he wanks himelf everyday and lays hands on you with his sperm infected hands. Ask many of the so called celibate priests who abuse little boys – we are flesh, we need release. What you do is not unatural.
      The world has evolved, we don’t need to rely on a book written thouands of years ago, in a different era, things have changed. Just learn to abide by set principles eg love your neighbour and you’ll be happy. This buiness of making heaven and avoiding hell has to be the greatest lie man ever told. Go and ask Oduduwa and co!

• Yinka September 22, 2010 at 12:37 am

Babe, why are you just angry with life?

“Your interpretation is not an option” End of story!

• D.O.T.M.H. September 22, 2010 at 1:23 am

chei! ego… I dnt even know what to say… u r reminding me of how Saul’s heart was strong until Jesus appeared to him. I pray Jesus will appear to you.

• FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere September 22, 2010 at 2:35 am

@ Ego…huh?Your point is????

• ifollowwhatthebiblesays September 24, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Exactly I lost control of myself and that is the problem. It brought me through hell! Not the eternal fire but a life without meaning. We are not just bodies. We are bodies and souls. If we give in to whatever our bodies’ wants we create an imbalance. We have to feed our souls with God because we are sons and daughters of God and we have to be “Christlike”. We can’t just abandon ourselves into any addiction whether it be food, sex, work, drugs, anything you can think of. We are not just material we are divine beings and we need to act like it or its chaos in our minds and in the world.

• LOU September 25, 2010 at 6:20 am

GOD FORGIVE YOU!

• xyz November 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm

the world has evolved… in a differenr era…… things have changed….. just one question ego… HAS GOD CHANGED?

• GottaGo September 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm

One thing I’ll add to everyone’s comments is the need for the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that the Holy spirit will guide us into all truth. Girl I struggled with lust until I got filled with the Holy Ghost. If you’re not filled aske Him and He will fill you up!

• GottaGo September 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Matter of fact read John 14, 15 and Romans 8.

• africanchikito no.1 September 21, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Glory i applaud ur strength…God’s grace is indeed sufficient for us all but we must not take liberty…He will see us thru IJN.

• Lola September 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm

BULLSHIT—-SOME OF US MASTURBATE–OTHERS FORNICATE-OTHERS LIE-OTHERS STEAL-ETC ETC.

AS FOR ME I MASTURBATE AND I FORNICATE–AND I WILL SEE YOU ALL IN HEAVEN—

WHY PASTORS FEEL THE NEED TO SPIN BULLSH*T IS BEYOND ME.

WHO THE HELL IS ANY PASTOR TO TELL ME THAT I WOULD NOT MAKE HEAVEN??
    IS HE NUTS???

WE ALL HAVE THNGS WE STRUGGLE WITH ABEG—

AND TO ALL THE BIBLE CHOMPERS–BETTER BELIEVE THE BIBLE CAN BE USED TO JUSTIFY ABOUT EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN–FROM RACISM TO SLAVERY TO MURDER TO INCEST ETC….

ABEG LETS HEAR WORD….

• ego September 21, 2010 at 11:25 pm

WORD!!! GIRL WORD!!! These Pastor are obsessed with SEX as though it is the only sin the BIBLE speaks of, it i because they are perverts who lack self control and are deeply ashamed of their desires.People were having sex left right and centre in the Bible. The Bible written by MEN is very sexist as well so why are women fighting for equality today? Because times have changed. Let’s move on. PRACTICE SAFE SEX and stop deceiving yourelf about not fornicating. The modern day woman’s role in society has changed and now most women marry late, some never marry, some divorce. So should they remain virgins or abstain just because… NONSENSE!!!

• MS FLOETRY October 17, 2010 at 8:37 am

just so you know, strugling with sin is very different from living in sin..

• Olivia September 21, 2010 at 11:23 pm

HEEEEEEEYYYYY!!!!! Glory you have spoken my miiiind!!!!! I am afraid of Nigeria, of Lagos! I think of moving back and I get SOOO scared. The things I hear, the blogs I go to (I’m sorry but e.g 360nobs diary) frighten the faith out of me. Leavin naij was like a breath of fresh air for me. I joined a unit in church and that alone strengthened me and now I’m moving back soon and it’s like “what will happen to me?”… It is well.

• bcgeorge September 24, 2010 at 11:25 am

lolz @ olivia..u talkin bout Memoir of a sluuush kid rite?haha dat sh%t is hilarious..frget Noble,na mouth…

• Yinka September 22, 2010 at 12:49 am

Glory,

I usually do not comment on BN, just read the comments at most and move on. But this, I have to talk. Bone everything else, I’ve been there and I thank God that He led me through that. Reading ur article made me thank God for how far He’s brought me cos I remember how messed up my mind and inclinations were, I literally for the first time in my life, felt out of control (and ashamed). Who knew what started w/bfs and kisses and later on, hot make out sessions in my teens would lead to that in later years.

Even now, I’m in a place where I realize just how “no good” resides in me, in another aspect of my life. Today, I felt weak and just at that point where I saw no way I could change and I saw ur article and remembered just how God brought me out of that and is still lifting me to a place of greater purity and holiness in Him.A place of real contentment and just plain absolute joy! Some may read that as “sad celibacy”, but I beg to differ, I’m finding out day by day, in every moment just how amazing, and beautiful and perfect God is. And how much I love Him! And that alone is the reason Jesus died like a common animal – this relationship w/the Father. Just for a common me to know God’s Love. I’m beyond happy!!! Babes, You’ll walk it out and my goodness, then u would really start living!

>>>HUGS<<<

• Temi September 22, 2010 at 1:41 am

I’m sorry but I don’t quite understand… are you saying that Nigeria is the cause of this? because that’s what it seems like to me (this is directed to those commenting too). Meaning that before you left for Nigeria you were NOT having sex and in fact practicing all the commandments of God but as you moved back you found yourself breaking these commandments due to temptation in Nigeria which you did not have where ever you were. I’m sorry but I find this hard to believe…. #justmyopinion

• bcgeorge September 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

@ temi, much as i dnt want to distort thisgood article by pointing out it’s flaws and short comings, i think the use of NIGERIA as an excuse to not serving God or is too much a fact to ignore. Thanks forthe observation.

• bcgeorge September 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm

serzly,evry1 who’s has got a great r/ship wt God in d past feel dis way sumtyms…..my Dad’s pastor and i know hw he tried so hard to instill dis Christian morals into us while growing up(i never had a beer until year 3, let alone g/frnd..u born u..u wan die?). But years lata, tins begin dey hapen..man begin dey flex so tey sunday church na jst formality( d nmba f tyms iv misd it cnt add up to 10tyms in my whole life tho) but we just dey go, nt luking frward to anytin(infact still chat football n chics in thr)..it could be worrisome cos somow within u, u realise u r loosing it, u r going down d bridge yet u dnt have no power of ur own to do anytin with it…iv have alwys said dis, there are signs and indications(in d Bible) that too many peeps will nt make heaven except God changed his standards…
      The irony of the whole tin is …HE WILL NOT…so it’s totally up to us to MAKE THAT CHANGE while asking for his GRACE…
      See y’all in heaven
      Shalom

• James B. September 22, 2010 at 2:41 am

Need I say that we’re in the same boat here? Glory, this is a brave move. A very brave move indeed. Thank you for pulling out all the stops on this one. What you hardly realize is how much you inspire people like me. Keep doing what you do. God bless you.

• Hotchocolate September 22, 2010 at 8:08 am

i am in the very boat with Gloria and i cant even begin to tell how i feel. but for the fact that its in our mind and bothers us that means God still speaks to our hearts.

please lets not turn this into senseless arguments,DONT judge any pastor or cos u ursef arent riteous.if a pastor praches take the belongs to you and leave the rest because he’s a pastor doesnt mean you should take his words to be ultimate,see him as a human being and a man,they have same flesh that we all have infact they face the most temptation than an ordinary man. please just pray for them

• jay September 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm

@ Temi: i want to agree with u, there are temptations in every part of the world so i really don’t understand why some people think the problem is here, besides if they are in developed countries, they are even worse off, cos of how deeply the devil has penetrated their society and most sexual sins are committed openly without shame, at least we still have a culture.
    secondly for those of you(ego and co.) who think its ok to indulge in sexual sins, i pray that the spirit of God will come upon you and reveal the truth to you.heaven and hell is REAL!!!… some pple are gonna read your comments and think its ok to fornicate, masturbate,etc.pls dont preach that i beg you for the love of God!
    and Gloria, just know that the grace of God is sufficient and he’ll see you through all your struggles, He sees your heart and knows that you yearn to please him, he’ll make it easy for you ok..

• Nwaa September 22, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Glory , He sees our hearts , he knows our weaknesses , He sees our willingness also …
    that is why He sent His holy spirit the comforter to teach us all things , strive for the Holy spirit , He make all things alright . It once happened to me

• Sam September 23, 2010 at 11:10 am

Hi Miss Edozien;
    Its not easy Jesus didnt find it easy. Of course it doesnt mean u shouldn’t try cos ur not perfect(remember He said be perfect just as our Father in Heaven is perfect) Its true we all do make mistakes but its better to make genuine mistakes. Build(Ask Dad 2 help u) a personal relationship with God wer ur seeking to always please Him such that it will get 2 a time wer u hear Him speak 2 u(and notice its not sum big voice blah blah that happens wen He wants 2 and its rarely) so in evryfin u do ul always ask Sir, Dad should i do this? Can i wear this outit? How do i talk 2 her? How do i deal with this? etc n He cares abt evryfin from all that inside ur heart 2 ur skin absoluteli evryfin.Have u eva noticd in the Bible that jesus always talkd 2 His Father b4 doin anything…He said i do what my Father tells me on a difrnt occasion He said i do what i see my Father doin. And he’ll begin 2 share the secrets in His heart with u bcos Hes built a strong bond with u n can trust u. NB U don’t have to b a pastor its a FATHER-DAUGHTER RELATIONSHIP…Another thing is u should practise hearin from Him by listening 2 Him cos He’s always telin u sumfin(Its lyk listnin 2 a radio station whiles im readin news on a difrnt station) U won’t hear me until u tune to mi station, then read ur bible, n pray bi talkin 2 Him askin wat 2 pray abt etc Also notice if u fil ur self with the word it will b difficult 4 u 2 sin intentionali cos ul hate 2 displease Him; Take a luk @ 1 John 1 from vrs 5 if im nt wrong it says the word bcame flesh n dwelt amongst us which was Jesus thats y He neva got sick,neva sinnd n ruled His weaknesses and the world(He was made n filled with the word of God ) Maybe the Bible mit nt b interestin etc Read it gradually, listen, confess it,proclaim it memorise,meditate, n share with others. U will overcome ur weaknesses,fears etc; Keep trusting Him. Cheers , Shalom! NB I’ve practisd these 2 and its working,it doesnt take a lifetime im only btn 18 and 22yrs of age.

• dankeo September 23, 2010 at 1:15 pm

ego and co oh! Abeg….. dont try to make these sexual sins right cos they are not by any means. Heaven and hell are very real.have you heard of demons?The way angels exist they also exist so lets all try to guard our souls by abiding under the shadow of the almighty. priests, pastors etc are all human beings so they are bound to make mistakes, the journey to heaven is a personal race so whether you believe these facts or not would not make them go away, we would all pass away and these things would remain. ask oduduwa for the truth and don’t dwell in darkness…

• justonecomment September 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm

@ego & co.
    Judging by the world we live in today and the millions of hypocrites out there deceiving pple, your opinions are not far fetched o! However my opinion is that if it has become really hard to accept spiritual truths, we can at least start by applying common sense (not meant in an abusive manner) like we do in our everyday lives. What am I sayin in essence?….Imagine you are about to open a door and then u heard 2 voices. One voice (the loudest) is saying to you “go on open it…enjoy the pleasures of this world to the fullest” and the other is sayin “yes you will enjoy all the pleasures but afterwards there will be so much suffering and ETERNAL death”. Any sane person will find another door cos suffering and eternal death are too much of a risk! We christians only live by faith and yes no one alive today has got physical evidences of heaven or hell but let’s be wise o!. Choose to be on the safe side and God will complete the rest. It is appointed unto man to die once and afterwards there will be judgement!. Pple, we don’t wanna die and find out that this is true. It will be too late. Let’s choose to be wise biko!! Don’t make things easy for lucifer. God luvs us :)

• S…. September 29, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Glory, nobody can stand with God without God’s help, just as no electrical appliance can function if its not plugged to source. God is your source so you MUST stay connected!
    Practical tips to staying connected include:
    1. Making out time to pray and study your Bible morning and night, no matter how short. choose a time, a place (your bedroom, living room, hike trail if you exercise, etc)
    2. Surrounding yourself with the word of God- subscribe to tweets and other feeds that are christian so they come in on your BB, watch TBN, etc
    3. listen to gospel music and sermon messages in your car, at your desk, in your free time.
    4. Buy and read books that would strengthen your relationship with God.
    5. GO TO CHURCH, more often than every Sunday- attend mid- week services and conferences.
    6. Hang around Godly people. the Bible says “he who walks with the wise shall become wise”.
    Just like your relationship with a guy is developed by you hanging out, so is your realtionship with God! Most importantly, ask for His help. You really can’t do it alone.
    All the best!

• yeni October 8, 2010 at 4:39 am

hey guys ur comments are varied and interesting. u need to surround urself with God’s word as its a case of garbage in garbage out. the poblem is that when one starts with the unguarded thots, u never think u’l do it. replace the thots with Gods thots from his word. signup on tweeter and follow pastorchrislive to recieve daily tweets which will inspire and give u spiritual discipline.

• Royalty October 9, 2010 at 2:58 pm

all i can say is: – Revelation 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

• Gee October 9, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Nyc write up Glory….I commend you for ur boldness in pubblishing this piece.
    All christains have struggles (myself inclusive) but we must admit that we arent perfect and with the help of God work towards perfection. Indeed unlike repentance which is spontaneous, living a Godly life is a process. We daily strive towards perfection, the bible reminds us that a righteous man that falls severally just like every other tom, dick and harry, but the distinction is that he get back…stronger, more committed.
    Great piece. Thumbs up!!!

• Godlovesme4me October 14, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hmmm…all these comments, gd thing Gloria knew she was going to be attacked.
    Anyways, location has nothing to do with our personal relationship with God. A right heart with Him is all He cares about. Even Paul said that “the things I wish to do, I do them not but the things which I wish not to do is what I find myself doing” paraphrase. The bible has all the answers, there is no1 w/o sin. God knows it, however all He ask is that we flee from every temptation of sin. And when you do fall, well dont condemn yourself…just humbly kneel and ask for forgiveness, yet not indulging in that since cos we shld not take the grace of God for granted. He is such a merciful Father, dis our God. He is more than too much. Anyways it takes the help of the Holy Spirit to deliver us from sinful habits as long as we are willing to be delivered. For those critiziing Pastor A’s statement…well the bible said it as well so what y’all talking about. He’s a Preacher not a Judge, he’s saying what the bible says so if you dont believe then u dont know the word. Be strong Gloria, call on Jehovah and He will sure answer. I admire ur boldness to share the article and I know God heard as well. Be of good cheer, Yahweh cares!!

• niger-delta militant October 30, 2010 at 7:34 pm

if you live in fornication,adultery and masturbation without seeking genuine forgiveness from God via repentance and turning away from these sins you are surely going to hell

• lizzy November 3, 2010 at 1:17 pm

As a christian, we must live by the bible’s injunctions. Do not add or subtract to God’s word cos there is a special Punishment for that. Selective obedience doesn’t help either and above all, Whoever wants to make heaven must have a personal relationship with God, believing that he is and he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him. Moral stands alone help no one cos no one is holy save the lord. I love justone comment’s comment. As for those who believe there is no God and that you can do whatever you please with yourself, i’ll say be careful please. This is because, you didn’t create yourself and whoever did which i know to be God, did so with a purpose. Our journey here is a temporary one, after which we will all give accounts of how we spent our lives here on earth. please note that life does not end with this body. There is no better life outside God cos truly all his counsels are wise and he is only trying to save us from being self destruct.

God is Real, Heaven is Real and Hell is Real too. Make your choice today and please do it right.
    As for my siblings in the FAITH, May the good lord guide and shelter us all and keep us Rapturable even as we continue to live for him alone in Jesus Name, Amen.

• lizzy November 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Always know that he will never put more on us than we can bear and that his grace is sufficient for us in every situation/ circumstance. Love the lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your might/strength. It pays to serve God, my life is a testimony to that effect.

• xyz November 3, 2010 at 1:28 pm

to the likes of FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere and edochi…. Pastor A didnt say ONLY fornicators, adulterers or masturbator will not make heaven….he only pointed those out

• angelsbeauty November 13, 2010 at 2:33 am

constantly think about this… its tough.. but with prayers.. God helps. I remember david and every single thing he did.. but yet God loved him.. God saw his heart and he loved him nonetheless.

I am not saying we should use david as an excuse but let each man have a relationship with God and be repentant.. but it is still a tough cookie.

• fesobi November 17, 2010 at 3:19 pm

In your weakness lies your strength!

• RMG December 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I am amazed by the level of ignorance here…carry on sinning if you want to.heaven or hell is an individuals choice, not God’s. The Bible says “should we continue to sin that grace may abound?certainly not!”.If you belong to the school of thought that because christ died for our sins we can go ahead and live our sinful lives,then expect a very hot part of eternal fire. It’s just the truth that has to be told.we’re all struggling with several sins,i haven’t gotten over one myself and i know i’m toying with eternity as well.let’s learn to live right.If you’re a christian and believe in what the Bible says,you best abstain!I don’t see anything wrong in Pastor A’s sermon.he probably pointed fornication,adultry and masturbation because it’s no longer regarded as sin in this generation.premarital sex and immorality and widely accepted.It’s rather sad though that most of us have fallen into one or the other,but God is faithful and just to forgive us IF we repent.that’s where the forgiveness comes,not when we take God’s Grace and mercy for granted.but for grace,where would we be???
    Thanks Glory for this!

• Mage January 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Dear Glory.
    Really lovely piece. Beautifully written and yet devoid of the sham seen of some Christian literature. You speak.
    I was at that same point last year and i kept struggling with the guilt and shame for so long. Seemed the harder I tried, the worse it got.
    I skulked around like a thief. I was so sure people knew about my failings. If you listened on during my prayer time, you’d wonder if some1 let a mourning party in. Twas all whining, crying, promising and so on.
    Anyway, I couldn’t take it anymore one day, so I just told God he had to intervene cos I just dint know what to do anymore. The spiritual knowledge I had and what not wasn’t working. And that was it. Since then, I’ve had this indefinable peace (Joy joined not too long after) and the things that i compromised with have been dropping outta my life without me doing much.
    So now I understand that this race is about Grace, when we run to the One who owns it (Grace)despite our spiritual knowledge and influence. Like Jesus, (The man, who had a battalion of angels @ His beck and call, who cried for Grace in the garden the night b4 crucifixion.