Posted on Monday, July 9th, 2012 at 6:34 AM

By Adeola Adeyemo

As repair works on the eight expansion joints of the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos commenced over the weekend, Lagos residents and frequent users of the bridge have been have been experiencing some difficulty commuting from the Mainland to the Island and vice versa.

According to the Minister of State for Works, Bashir Yuguda, the first phase of the replacement of the expansion joints, would start on the Lagos Island-bound carriageway between the Ebute-Meta interchange and Adeniji Adele end of the bridge. The second phase, he said, would involve the Oworonshoki-bound carriageway between Adeniji Adele and Ebute-Meta interchange.

As a result, movement on the bridge from Oworonshoki to Lagos Island will only be permitted from 11pm to 12pm every day, while movement out of Lagos Island to Oworonshoki and Yaba will be from 12pm to 11pm.

The alternative routes for road users are: Ikorodu Road-Yaba-Oyingbo-Iddo-Lagos Island; Ikorodu Road-Western Avenue-Lagos Island; Agege Motor Road-Oshodi-Apapa-Lagos Island-Victoria Island; and Apapa-Oshodi Expressway-Mile 2-Orile-Lagos Island-Victoria Island.

Yesterday, motorists going to Lagos Island were diverted to Oworoshoki-Ikorodu road, en-route Adekunle area, to the Island.

Repairs on the bridge was initially scheduled to commence on Sunday, July 1st, 2012 but was postponed over some logistic reasons.

The first phase of the repair was carried out between August and September 2008, and lasted for four months, which led to the planning and execution of the second phase, which commenced on Saturday.

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, on Sunday urged Lagos residents to embrace ferry services as alternative means of transportation during the ongoing repairs of the Third Mainland Bridge.

Mr. Opeifa said that water transportation became imperative following anticipated gridlock during the bridge’s repairs. He said the ferry services were safe and quicker means of transportation and was now better and managed by the Lagos State Waterways Authority.

He explained that the Ogudu jetty was opened for ferry services, in spite of the fact that it had not been inaugurated.

Opeifa advised motorists to park their cars at home and ride in either the ferries or the Bus Rapid Transit and LAGBUS buses to reduce traffic on the roads.

He said 700 officials of the state Traffic Management Authority would be deployed in the area and strategic routes to control traffic.

The repair works is expected to last four months and will be completed on November 6, 2012.

What do you think about the arrangement made by the state government to ease traffic on the roads during this period? How has the ongoing repairs on the bridge affected your movement?

Please share your thoughts.

News Source: NAN | Punch

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 42 Comments on “What are Your Experiences as Repair Works begin on Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos?”

Comments
    • iwalewa July 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM

going to work this morning wasnt so hectic.everything is under control.to avoid traffic,just leave the house early enuf.they are doing a good job with the diversions. i believe it wnt be hectic afterall.

• tolu July 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I did not go through the bridge today i used the old carter bridge and linked to adeniji. a very smooth ride. there was however disappointment for people that wanted to go through ebute-metta to link 3 mb.

• LarryMan July 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Left my house by 5:30am, took me only 40mins to drive down to my office at Lekki. There were some diversions but the Traffic personnel are managing it well.

• Tiki July 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Watertaxis work pretty well in other countries like Ivory Coast which suffer from a lot of traffic issues. It may definitely be a better alternative for Lagos.

• Denny July 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Watertaxi ke?? As if there arent enough things to potentially kill us in Lagos!

• Tiki July 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM

lol @ Denny and @ Lucy, watertaxis are much much safer than you may think. I’ve been in one countless times. However, given that nothing works in the way of social amenities in Nigeria, I don’t blame you for your fear that the watertaxi may break down in the middle of the lagoon.

• Adedoyin July 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Left home 5.00am this morning and by few minutes to 6, i was already at Ikoyi. Traffic was not so bad.

• LPS July 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Happy to read some good report so far. Cool

• pynk July 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM

kinda grateful i dont have to cross the bridge to get to work.

• Sayo July 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM

To be reading here, I left home at 5am, i left home at 5.30, mehn, you all in Lagos are trying o, especially the women. I hail you lot, and its such a shame the kind of working conditions that are fored upon people in Nigeria. I have a small question for the women. How about your families especially your children. You are out of the house before they even wake up, so you only see your kids in the morning on weekends. Who makes breakfast for them, gets them ready for school. Those were some of the best memories I had of my mother growing up, are we not denying our children of such precious experiences and memories.

• Nne Somebody July 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM

God bless you, Sayo. I was thinking along the same lines. People going on about leaving home at 5am to beat the traffic; your dedication to your jobs is truly commendable. So, what do you do to avoid the evening traffic? Cos I know those employers won’t let you out before 5pm. So, you are probably in the office till 9pm. That cannot be good for anyone at all. I am pregnant and spent over 3hours in traffic this morning, and since I can’t very well take off whenever I choose, that means I’m sitting in the office until at least 9pm. Yes, the bridge has to be fixed but the next 4months or so will be quite tough on all of us unless something drastic happens. Biko! We shouldn’t even be talking about quality of life in Lagos. Most of us are just existing and this isn’t the only city where people have to commute to work daily. The failure of our government to provide us basic amenities is now robbing us of sleep and time with family. May God have mercy on all us.

• anonymous July 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I do not think we need to crucify Sayo for saying his/her piece. This is a fact that confronts us every day. I have lamented over this issue time and time again, though the options are not so many, I am not sure she is saying anyone is a bad parent for for having to work long hours. Fact however still remains that it is a choice that we make, whether forced on us by circumstances or not and the cause for concern is the effect it is having on our children.The kind of stuff children are exposed to these days , they need to be under the right kind of supervision which cannot be provided by hired helps. This is not to say that taking care of your children by yourself is a guarantee for having make them turn out alright , but one can always try. I am a working mother also and leave my house at 5;30am and get home like 6;30pm, i desire to spend more time with my children and will take the next opportunity to have a job that will not be so tasking.

• Sayo July 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM

At last, a very rational comment. Nowhere did I say anyone was a bad parent. We are all trying our best to give our kids what we think they deserve. MsSexy – I was addressing normal everyday homes, you are talking about outliers, extreme cases, or more like cases out of the ordinary. I was talking about children from homes with mummy and daddy. To Lucy, and the 14 year old girl who was pregnant and her mother didn’t notice. My dear that is not new o. I have enough horror stories that I have seen firsthand in my job. My comment wasn’t to berate anyone, but to make you consider, a lot of parents don’t get to hear from the teacher’s perspective. We happen to spend more time with these kids than most parents do, so technically, we are not sitting on the sidelines. We see firsthand what these kids feel and experience, due to overworked and over stressed parents. You may not know, there may be someone here who read this comment, and a few days before, an opportunity of doing something else arose, and she wants to revisit it, or someone who circumstances are spiralling because of her schedule, and she wants to start thinking of what else she can do. If it will help one person, that is fine by me. My comment won’t please everyone, that wasn’t the intention.

• Sayo July 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Mothers out there, is it really worth it, have we truly in all honesty considered the possibilites of an alternative. Yes 9ja is hard and all, but there has to be ways around this. Whats the point of having children and husband you only see on weekends, and by then you’ll be tired, and want to rest. So when is family time, and quality time? How do you get to really know your kids, and know when they have problems. Growing up, we got upset at sth in school, and we had the chance to run home and tell mummy about it, it strengthened our bond. Till date, mummy and I have marathon phone calls, and we can talk the hind leg of a donkey. Nowadays we are just raising a family of strangers, even couples dont sepnd time together anymore, and parents and kids hardly have a relationship, and we wonder why the divorce rate is alarming in nigeria. You are out before they wake up, and by the time you are home they are already in bed, and we wonder why the fabric of our society is degenerating at breakneck speed. I dont want to sound self righteous o, because times have changed, but mehn,w ith this repairs of the 3rd mainland bridge, things will worsen. At the end of the day, we have a choice to make, family, or tons of money to spend. I just had to put up this comment, because its a covnerstaion i have with my friends, single and married alike. I used to work in one of those high brow private schools in Lagos, and I saw what the busy lives of parents was doing to their kids. Even on open day, the parents hardly came, sometimes aunties or uncles, and even a ridiculous one was driver or housemaid attended. When the child had a problem, and we called in the parents, hardly did they show up, and if they did it was a harried, hurried meeting. It was really really sad, why have the kids at all. My cousin and his wife, delayed starting a family for a while until they could afford to live in a place close to work, and pay for the school fees in the area. I also have friends who quit their jobs when babies came, and started a business. Sth has to give pple, and i think we are sacrificing the wrong things. No point giving your kids the world, and the most important thing of all, you time, you are denying them. Just my 2 cents for monday.

• babygirl July 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Sayo do you have kids? My mother is my best friend, she worked away when I was growing up, but we made the best of the little time we had together. Not every mother has a choice about working, some men are not around some are not making enough. so please don’t judge or preach.

• Amazeballs! July 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sayo,
        Please let each mother decide to raise/ relate with her child as she deems fit. You are in no position to judge a mother especially as you are watching from the sidelines be you a teacher or not! If you are a mother yourself/when u become one, build your relationship as you deem fit with you child and leave others alone especially as you don not know what the dynamics of the families are. and just so you know, you totally sounded self-righteous!

• Sayo July 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I also happen to be a mother myself, and I am not watching from the sidelines at all. You can justify it anyhow you like, but I’ve seen firsthand what it does to a lot of children brought up with such a schedule. So, I know what i am saying, from the point of view of a teacher and a mother. I am not judging anyone at all, and you sound like one of those guilty mums that i’ve met, who rather than face up to the problems they are causing, quickly shut down anyone who dares to tell them what they are doing is wrong, by saying you cannot judge, or you dont know the dynamics. Until you really open your eyes to the damage you are causing to your children, you can deny it all you want. Parenting is all about sacrifice, and when your children’s needs come second place to the amount of money you can make, something is wrong somewhere. A lot of us teachers, are left to deal with the mess, children brought up in such circumstances create, and I wanted to voice out an opinion. I said in my comments, that I know 9ja is hard, but in the course of my career, I have met families who ahve had to make changes/sacrifices to adjust. Such couples dont have two heads, they’ve just realised what’s important. Some of them had to make such changes, after comments like these, and the results were noticeable. That was why i wrote this up, to share it with a larger audience, not to sound self righteous

• molarah July 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Sweetheart, you know, your perspective is part of the reasons behind the cruel child-related tragedies we read about in the news and shudder and shiver and pray it never happens to us. Yes, Sayo has raised an almost impossible challenge, but it is DEFINITELY worth considering for every mother. These days, you just HAVE to be there for your children oh. Saying ‘Don’t judge’ and stuff would just make lackadaisical mothers more comfortable. We need to jolt ourselves to our responsibilities. I’m not a mother yet, but by the special grace of God I’m making serious preparations to make sure that when they come, I WILL be there for them.

• Damola July 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Thanks Sayo for this piece. May it not be too late before we understand. Our society is rife with pedophiles yet mothers are careless with there children. Country hard true true, but we should not sleep with our houses on fire.

• Lucy July 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Good talk Sayo, dont mind them. Good to hear it from a teacher’s perspective, you guys take all the shit, and you dont get paid enough, in my opinion, cos i’ve wanted to smack some of my friends and family”s kids ehn, their heads will spin. I have loads of family and friends with this kind of schedule, and they will defend it from here till kingdom come. When I ask them why have the children, the kind of acid responses i’ve gotten, i’ve learnt to shut up and mind my business. One of them had a 14yr old who recently got pregnant, right under thier noses i must say. I wanted to laugh, if i didnt feel sorry for the poor abandoned girl. Yes her parents career, may or may not have been a factor, but for the maid to point out that the girl was pregnant (the maid was sacked for lying, a true nollywood story, lol), and not the mother. THAT SAYS A WHOLE LOT

• MsSexy July 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Oversabi Sayo, wait tl u find urself nd the shoes of those mothers, then u can know how painful & sore t could be, v u ever come accross a mother wt 4 kids nd her man vanished on her? So she shd sleep tl 10am before she gets to work, I bet u’ll pay her kids school fees shed?

• molarah July 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Pls pls pls abeg, stop mentioning some far-fetched, one-in-a-thousand scenario to justify your point of view. Yes, this happens, but MAJORITY of the people guilty of this have an easier choice to make. Just seriously consider what is being said.

• Amaze balls! July 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM

There you go again madam Sayo, I am not a mother so I have no guilt contrary to what you have assumed. That just shows you that you don’t always have the full picture. Live and let live, most of them actually do not have a choice. Point made!

• pretty me July 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

hmmmm Sayo u actually have a point speaking from a teachers perspective and i quite agree wit u.but spending quality time wit ur kids will not always make dem close to u.growing up my mum was and is still a fulltime house wife she had a thriving business tho but had pple in charge so she was mostly home.but dat did not gurantee us having blissful r/ship with her,she cooks for us,helps us out wit home work but dat r/ship was not just dere cos she was d real shouting type,i mean she could get a PHd for shouting so dat made us kinda withdrawn frm her cos u mite want to tell her something but u will say abeg jor before she will shout on me let me just keep quiet,we even wished she was working so dat we can hav some free time.we are all grown now nd she has realised d gap she created despite being around.each time she wants to bring up such mother dota conversation it just does not click cos dere was no good foundation despite her always being around.yes d shouting shaped us but it destroyed a foundational r/ship.each time i see my friends dat r close to dir mums nd can discuss anything with dem i usually see it weird cos with my mum,its a no no.i pray to have a better r/ship with my kids dan i had wit my mum.if a working mother can juggle with work and her r/ships wit her kids dats fine.just my two cents.

• Joksie July 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The traffic was so terrible dis morning, i spent close to 3hours on the bridge before getting to work although, it was moving but it was a complete gridlock.

• lol July 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Working away from home doesnt make a difference, some still have businesses and dont even have a clue of what their kids do in school all in the sake of just sending kids to private sch, get some pple to collect them and teacher comes home to do homework and they still carry on with their own things, so you will be surprised those waking up to leave for 5 are still closer to their kids than the ones that are self employed….naija is hard period, everyone is chasing money o tan!

• QueenofEverything July 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM

please excuse my ignorance – to the people leaving home @ 5/5.30am – i assume you’re going to work, are these your peronal businesses? what ime do you wake up and why leave home so early.

again please pardon my ignorance…

• annonymous July 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I think they have to leave home early to beat rush hour traffic. They probably wake up at 4:00am to be out of the house by 5/5:30am. People got to do what they have to do. If the job they are going to is their personal businesses, I doubt they will have to leave home so early since they are their own boss.

• Well Heeled Pair July 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Your question makes me suspect you are not Nigerian which is understandable. Yes, people are going to work and for most people, no it is not their personal businesses. People have to wake up very early so they can beat early morning traffic (more like standstill) because as some people mentioned above, you could be stuck in it for an hour or more *the latter more likely*. Similarly, people delay going home at 5 to avoid close of work traffic.

The traffic situation in Nigeria is beyond that you will see anywhere else, in my opinion and it’s mostly due to the lack of enforcement and observation of traffic rules and regulations and terrible roads and road network.

Hope that helps :)

• Lucy July 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Did someone mention water taxi. Are you kidding me? So what happens if it breaksdown midway? At least a bus you can come down and walk to the next bus stop. You want to create calamity, like plane crash (yes I know i’m exaggerating, but picture this. 5.30am, its not even dawn yet, and your ferry has broken down midway in the Lagos lagoon. U are frightened silly, no one there to help, and the there is a strong current, so y’all are just like sitting ducks, bobbing up and down on the waves, no rescue services, nothing. You have to wait for the ferry to miraculously start working again, or you wait for another one. Imagine trying to transfer to another ferry, and someone trips and falls, or it capsises. Biko, stick with the traffic abeg.) Lol

• Adedoyin July 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM

@Sayo and Nnesomebody i guess its so easy for me to leave home as early as 5.00am simply because i am not married but trust me i DNT intend continuing like this once i get married. There is nothing like Family like family.

• QueenofEverything July 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM

it does, thank you very much.
      I am Nigerian but don’t live there.
      i’d hate to imagine what time they wake up *hides face*

• WellHeeledPair July 9, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Alrighty…. I lived in Nigeria for 13 yrs so I remember the horrors and I understand lol. I struggle to get up at 7 so I can’t imagine 5am.

• Niyi Cruise July 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

It was hell of a Monday for me getting to the island today. I wonder what sort of country is this ? No plan .. nothing … What happens to lagos waterways ? y can’t they be opened up ?
      What happens light rail from the island to the mainland. We still have a long way to go in Nigeria. Imagine wasted man-hour that have been lost and would still be lost in the course of repair… may GOD deliver 9ija !

• AnonYMOUS.. July 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

How is it that Lagos has one major freeway. Everyone coming from the mainland has to go through thirdmainland bridge somehow somehow. It isnt like there is not traffic in Yankee but it only happens on rare occassions eg when there is an accident. We need more freeways. We need trains…we have a surging population and using the roads is always going to be a big issue except we have more freeways. Sorry to everyone waking up at 5am. Cant remember when last I woke up at 5am to go to work. And to the issue of mothers and no family time, it is well. Everyone is busy chasing money in Nigeria. God help us.

• iamfascinating July 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

it cant be funny, Lag has enough stress as it is. I hope its repaired fast.

• NNENNE July 10, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I live in New York State but I wake up at 5am, and get to work at 7:15am. Some others who commute with me get to their destination at 8 am.
      Sister sayo, it will be nice to be a stay home mum. Most of my neighbors are. The big question is ,can we afford it ? While my neighbors are white Americans who own the land, yours faithfully, is an immigrant, who is not only thinking about our nuclear family but the people and investment in Nigeria.
      We just hire live in babysitters, spend whatever time we have together and our husbands work with us too to balance it up.
      Welcome to the capitalist world, sister Sayo!

• godson July 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

sayo , ni dont really get your point is it that you dont want this women to work or you dont want their children to eat . you sit their judging people, ma dear wait till you get there b4 you say anything ,even if they are not married , does this not show ambitiousness or the fact they are not lazy, plz if you want to seat at home and eat your husband’s food all day ,you are welcome to do that but let me tell you something you can’t ever change anything from there not even your family talkless of nigeria ,only thing you can do is comment on BN like this.

• NancyPeters July 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

@godson I don’t think you got Sayos Point.

• Tade July 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Molarah, true talk. its an almost impossible challenge, but the key word is almost impossible. If you search deep down within yourself, and also pray for strength and guidance, a way will be shown to you. The thing is, for the majority of people, they have come to accept the current situation as status quo. I know quite a few people who have made lifestyle changes, after serious consideration, of the lastng results. The key words here are serious consideration, and I actually like that Sayo put this up, so someone out there may be touched and have a rethink. I’m sorry to say this, but Nenne, i understand the struggle of living in New York. I’ve lived there before, but to just say we hire live in babysitters, spend whatever time we have together, made me wince. You make it sound like that spending time is a chore, no warmth or feeling. Careful dear, New York is making you hard. It must cost a whole lot for a live in babysitter, we are back to Sayo’s words of making tons of money, at the expense of your children. I dont know what your situation is, and I wont comment further, I ‘ll just wish you all the best. In the words of Baz Luhrmann Everbody’s free (to wear sunscreen) Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.

• liziey July 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM

hectic trafic

• taiwo July 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

The traffic since Monday has not been favorable for me at all. Though i listen to the Traffic Radio 96.1 but i must say that sometimes, i feel the situation at hand is beyond them.
      A classic case was this morning. In as much as i appreciate BRF and some technocrats in his administration (yes, i said technocrats) I feel the current situation would have been handled better.
      It is not for the “powers that be” to enforce people to take a route that they are not familiar with (Just like what Femi (The OAP at 96.1) and the commissioner of Transportation, were “singing” on the radio this morning (10th of July).
      For me, driving from Ojodu through Ojota to Ikorodu all the way to Apapa-Ijora, is just ideal and I have taking into cognizance some slow movements from time to time. For me to be in traffic for 2 hours because someone didn’t plan ahead to ensure that the linkage on the bridge descending Apongbon to CMS was not fixed and have citizens like my Honorable self suffer, is unacceptable.
      To now crown it up, for both Femi and Mr. Opeifa to come on-air and try and pass Apapa-oshodi as a better option is unthinkable, not even considering that not everyone stays within the proximity of Apapa – oshodi and thus accessing this road will not be convenient and won’t make any logical sense.
      As much as I will ensure that all my daughter’s needs are met, is as much as what I expect from the “powers that be”.
      Another suggestion that I proposed earlier today was to have all works on the 3rd mainland bridge done on Saturdays and Sundays when traffic in and around Lagos is on the low. Although this will translate to the contract stretching on for a longer period of time, but at least people won’t have to spend endless and unproductive hours on the road every morning.
      Eko O ni baje!!!