Naked Justice

It’s really sad to see how  people who are found guilty of stealing are stripped and humiliated publicly.

What is even sadder is the fact that in recent times, many of the people who face this kind of shame and humiliation are females.

The naked picture of a 200 level student of University of Benin has gone viral over the internet. The female student allegedly stole a Blackberry phone belonging to her girlfriend and when caught, she completely disgraced and humiliated.

It all started when her friend started looking for her phone for over 3 hours and couldn’t find it. This girl was asked if she saw the phone but she denied. Later, the phone began to ring and she didn’t pick it. It was after searching that it was discovered that she was the one that stole the phone.

The male students around later stripped her naked and abused her body while taking photos.

What do we call this? Jungle justice? Naked justice? Humiliation? The news just irks me.

Why didn’t they just hand her over to the school authorities when she was caught? Why would her fellow students humiliate her like that? I just can’t make sense of it.

I wonder how she would be able to face these male students who stripped her naked in school again. How would she be able to continue with her studies in the same school where she has been stripped of all her dignity?

What are your thoughts on the idea of stripping people as a form of  humiliation and punishment? Are the women to blame for this? What do you think about naked justice?

Please share your thoughts.

Photo Credit: www.murraymitchell.com

37 Comments on Naked Justice
  • piecesly.co.nr July 17, 2012 at 7:03 am

its sad…truly sad, the same can be said for burning fellow citizens for stealing…..the punishment does not fit the crime.

• Greg oj July 17, 2012 at 7:20 am

It isnt d best actually,but it also reminds us not 2 steal.If she hadt stolen,none of this would have happened.

• Purpleicious Babe July 17, 2012 at 8:12 am

My thoughts exactly….. she should not have and I suppose they are consequences for every action. To be honest, I sound biased already but if she was honest/innocent I dont think it was right for that to happen. Yes, why does a man have to be the one doing it? weird stuff…

Yeah, the authority should take over.

In conclusion, blank mind.

• ada July 17, 2012 at 8:56 am

Exactly, like the famous quote: “men are not hanged for stealing horses, but that horses may not be stolen”

• Ginika July 17, 2012 at 10:00 am

Alright picture this, what if there is a case of someone being framed and falsely accused just so that they get humiliated, then what do you do?

It is complicated but I can conclude that it is not the best way.

• hopegirl July 17, 2012 at 8:20 am

i once saw an incident where a girl stole a gold chain and the same naked justice was done by fellow girls.its just not right!!!

• tosynka July 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

God bless you so much for this piece.almost commented on the gurl’s photos when i saw it but decided to hold my peace till i found people who have the same perspective with me on the matter. not too long ago a man stripped his girlfriend naked for allegedly cheating. if she cheated, is stripping her the only means of making her faithful? nd with the way these male folks go about it,its as if they are waiting for any and every opportunity to strip women naked. what if these ladies were innocent?even if they are indeed guilty, is it not he who is without sin that ought to cast the stone? this trend is really disheartening.if men commit crimes do they also get stripped to remind them not to steal?and to think some female folks actually support this?
    May God save us from this humiliation.

• Annie July 17, 2012 at 8:38 am

Am not a proponent of this new fad”naked justice” yeah but in all honesty, if it aint broke dont fix it works fine for me too! if she didnt steal she wont have gotten treatment in the 1st place. common! you are some1’s future wife, mother, y steal? have some dignity and not greed! any1 notice that these pple actually steal very trivial things like BBs, gold, etc? meaning its all about greed!

• Phoenix July 17, 2012 at 8:50 am

it wasnt right that she stole but they were friends and i think the Phone owner should have just collected her phone back and let end the issue there without involving other people.

• Tiki July 17, 2012 at 8:59 am

Imagine that you had saved for a year to buy your blackberry. You even looked for part-time gigs as an usher/waitress, because you were saving the money you had to buy a phone. Then someone you call friend, who spends her time trying to ‘belong’, comes and tries to steal it. If you were lucky enough to catch her, what would you do? I was victim of a robbery once, the guy stole a laptop I had saved for 2 years to buy, alongside my iPod, etc. I cannot swear that I would not have stripped him naked if I had the chance.

• Ginika July 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

Imagine if you were framed and someone accused you of doing it. A case where it is your word against theirs?

• Tobechidaniel July 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

Actually call it by the name it truly is- that’s sexual assault. True there may not have been penetration, but being stripped by males, she would have been groped. It’s ridiculous-there are other ways of meting out justice. Ladies, just don’t steal.Stay satisfied with what you’ve got an if you truly must have it, then get the stuff the right way.

• nicole July 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

its not right @ all…..All of u talking stop chating poo pls…. its not right @ all….

• Mz B July 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

Her friends that even let that happen to her are bad in my opinion! Ok she stole from you, ok she cant be trusted but if anything you should have just ended your friendship with her or even tried to resolve it and find out why she did it.

As a woman how can you not feel compassion for something like that happening to another woman. Imagine if that was you. I’m not saying she shouldn’t have been punished for stealing but not in that way! It is a total disgrace and embarassment which is why I assume that they choose such an act to humiliate the criminal however this is such typical nigerian justice…whatever happened to forgiving and forgetting it was just a BB -_-

• Emy July 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

I do not support anyone who steals, but the idea of ‘naked humiliation’ is taking it to the extreme. As for those that humiliated her, are they going to tell me that none of them have sinned and even done worse things than stealing? Let he without sin cast the first stone. They should have handed her over to the appropriate authorities

• Princess of Zion July 17, 2012 at 9:37 am

Sad expression of frustration in society!! There should be laws set against this! No woman or man should be subject to such humiliation! It is ungodly, immoral and a violation of their human rights! God help us all.

• anonymous July 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Err, excuse me but how can ungodly and violation of human rights be used together in the same sentence. Homosexuality is immoral and ungodly according to the bible, but totally acceptable according to the universal declaration of human rights as we are all availed the freedom of expression. Yes I do know the context in which you used the two together in one sentence is different, but….please, never make such mistakes again especially concerning your stance. I’ve seen all your comments on LIB, LL and even here on BN. Good day

• anonymous July 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm

*considering*

• Rachael July 20, 2012 at 11:02 pm

“How can ungodly and violation of human rights be used together”
        Calm down, the two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Your analogy isnt analogous at all and has no bearing in what was said. What happened WAS both ungodly and violation.

• Yetty July 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! So she steals, that doesn’t warrant to be stripped naked. People tell lies, gossip, are unlawful, cheat…the list is endless. In my opinion sin is sin whether you lie or you steal and whether you were caught or not. A lot of people including myself do things everyday that we don’t think about and its still the same category as stealing (sin), I don’t see people stripping each other or people for it especially the male community. ”he who is without sin should cast the first stone”. Its wrong and it should be stopped!

• danivery July 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

striping her naked is not justice, its should’nt be practice in our society. They should have just handed her over to the school authority for proper justice.

• dammylola_ July 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

it is such a dumb disgusting way of dishing out justice, men that indulge in such are simply perverts and pretenders all in the name of discipline. why do they have to take pictures as well? we all know what they do with such pictures in their privacy… such perverts!!! it is even dumber when fellow women and young girls don’t see this as debasing/degrading to womanhood when they allow such acts. extremely disgusting!! be

• Turn turn turner July 17, 2012 at 10:00 am

Yes I agree that stealing is wrong but NOBODY has the right to strip another human being naked as a form of justice. It’s barbaric.

And to those supporting this ludicrous form of justice, what’s your own private sin? Shall we then strip you naked in public when we find out?

• chocolatier July 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

I must confess i used to think that was the best punishment for people who indulge in such habits until i read this piece. Two wrongs can never make a right. I feel bad for the girl already. I am not in support of people who steal but there are better ways of handling these matters. Poor girl! my heart bleeds for her.

• Alero July 17, 2012 at 10:10 am

I cant imagine that comments in support of this barbaric humiliation called “naked justice” is coming from fellow ladies!!!Imagining the scene now, I am so disgusted.Hellooooo!!!This is the 21st century. Whatever happened to the Student Affairs Dept.? This is absolutely wrong no matter how u look at it.”He who has no sin, should cast the first stone”, so said The Lord Jesus Christ.

While I was a student, a girl,infact my neighbour stole my chain and even claimed she got it from her mom!That incident and the gist surrounding it didnt go beyond the 2 rooms (i.e, my room and my neighbours); though I had my reservations about her. Oh yes, you can go ahead and hoot at the “thief” but stripping? God is watching u.

• Gods own July 17, 2012 at 10:10 am

Whatever the offence nobody has any right to strip another person .most of the comment here are based on the benin incidence,what about the man that striped his girlfriend,it won’t stop her frm cheating,it is wrong to strip anyone for any offence.

• niyi martins July 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

I just tink a lot of sexual saddists prowl d streets today….in a civilised. Society the so called friend and the perverts wu stripped her would b charged 2 court! I’m not sayin stealing is right,I’m just saying there r pple wu handle these cases…female molestation is fast being a trend and I tink laws shuld be passed as regards this perverted act

• Blackknight July 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

There is absolutely no justification for that barbaric action.Absolutely no justification.Much as I don’t condone stealing,it’s an uncivilized way to settling scores.
    Do that to my sister for whatever reason,and YOU WILL HAVE ME TO DEAL WITH. QED!

• Efua July 17, 2012 at 10:57 am

Kudos to all those who are against such a nast practice.
    Stealing is wrong but retaliating in such a manner is simply despicable.
    How can we expect others to have any respect for us when we treat ourselves in such a manner?

• Teris July 17, 2012 at 11:05 am

@author: well, it’s good the news just “irks” you. “irritates”, “annoys”…

as i recall it, male thieves who are caught are usu. stripped, beaten and paraded to the shouts of “ole” or “barawo” before being marched to the police station, too.

2. it is unfortunate for the Miss that jungle justice caught up with her in the internet age. if she was a “bush girl” with no hopes of a “fancy future” it may not have been so bad. i think that’s a harsh punishment.
    however, at this point i can only think, “wouldn’t it be great if something so terribly embarrassing and compromising could happen to all these corrupt people in high place who are s**ewing this country?” – my point here being that humiliation has its place in the penal system.

3. how does the male faction of this little community handle such things? it sounds to me like the female students are a blood-thirsty lot cos at the end of the day, they chose not to handle the matter internally and CHOSE to let the boys at her. the “felon” is probably as much a product of a similar mindset and is receiving likely the same treatment she’da meted out to another.
    it is terribly unfortunate if she was groped in the process, one of the disadvantages of female sensibilities. (unlikely that anyone thinks to grope a dude-thief.)

anyhoo, i imagine all future felons will either have air-tight alibis or will cut a deal real quick with the DA before a public hearing.

• Seun July 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

two wrongs dont make a right and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. bottomline – very wrong and dehumanising act

• marvel July 17, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for BN readers. Most with common sense see this evil treatment for what it truly is. Make the mistake of stripping a thief in the UK or US and see your arse sued for a lot of money together with a jail sentence and a criminal record. What has a phone got to do with her nakedness? Mad ppl!

• birdieblue22 July 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

If you have never nicked an eraser or stolen meat from your mom’s pot or accidentally picked something that wasn’t your please cast the first stone. The ‘Holier than thou’ students should have just taken her to the authorities.

• CA July 18, 2012 at 4:11 am

Nigeria is a sexist society where chuvinism thrives and that is why stripping female thieves naked is applauded in our country. You try that mess in an advanced country like the US or UK and you will be in for a rude awakening with the law. This chuvinism nonsense is why there are many females like myself who are terrified of coming back to Nigeria to live. Stealing is terribly wrong and I am not in support of it. However, sexually molesting the culprit is wrong too and two wrongs don’t make a right. Nigeria has along way to go in learning how to be humane. Seriously.

• Ajoke July 18, 2012 at 7:45 am

Stealing is not right but neither is stripping someone of their clothes, humiliating and abusing them. Both parties were wrong and I suspect that the people who abused the girl could and should face harsher penalties than the petty phone theft.

• NNENNE July 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

Men at work! Stripping her naked is a form of justice? Hope they did not rape her.
    Disgusting!