News

Bye Matilda, Hello Leonora! Ghanaian Actress Leonora Okine is the New “Angela Dede” on M-Net’s Tinsel

Tinsel’s Angela Dede – Matilda Obaseki | Leonora Okine

M-Net’s “Tinsel“, the Nigeria-based soap opera TV series has made a major cast change. One of the series’ key characters “Angela Dede” has been played by Nigerian actress Matilda Obaseki since the inception of the show, Matilda has now been replaced by Ghanaian Actress Leonora Okine.

Fans were not informed of the change prior to the appearance of the new actress on TV screens during Season 5, Episode 776 of the series, fans reacted by commenting via social media sites Facebook and Twitter.

Matilda Obaseki’s had garnered award nominations for her delivery of the Angela Dede role especially given the challenges involved in playing the role of the troubled yet determined mentally ill young woman with dignity rather than as a caricature.

The actress announced her engagement in March 2012 and is pregnant with her first child.

No official word from M-Net on if this is a permanent or temporary (maternity leave) change. This is not the first time the series is swapping one of its leading actresses, the roles of Amaka Okoh and Brenda Mensah have both been recast during the course of the series.

Leonora has previously featured in Ghanaian TV series and movies including “Different Shades of Blue” and  “Blood & Chocolate”.

Congrats to Matilda and Leonora.

What do you think about the change?

Update – Official statement from M-Net
M-Net wishes to advise Tinsel fans that Matilda Obaseki, who plays the role of Angela Dede, is currently on leave and will be temporarily replaced by Leonora Okine.

M-Net joins the Tinsel cast and crew in sending Matilda their love and best wishes and are looking forward to her return to set later in the year.

In the interim, the producers would like to welcome the very talented Leonara to the Tinsel family.

1. annonymous

July 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Matilda is a pretty lady. I wish her safe delivery.

2. binta

July 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Personally I feel ‘if its not Matilda then its not Angela’ I mean no one can deliver dat role beta than her… Meanwhile congrats on d good news hope she comes back after delivery

• efe

July 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I agree wv u 100%

3. Tinsel fan

July 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I just watched today’s episode and did not see my girl Matilda, gosh…..its no longer Tinsel for me. Matilda made Tinsel what it is. She needs to be recognized for this. I hope Leonora knows that she has a HUGE shoe to fill now that Matilda has left.

4. Africhic

July 16, 2012 at 9:43 pm

It will take some getting used to, lets see

5. weyinole e.

July 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I really miss the old Angela…she just kept U at the edge of your sit. U really cant predict her actions & reactions. I’m just not feeling this new Angela yet.

6. Justjunnie

July 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm

i hope this new Angela will thrill us like Matilda . realy like Angela Dede”s xter.

7. Me2me

July 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Them for just re-write script na

8. ZK

July 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I was sooo pissed when I watched Tinsel on Friday. I couldn’t even watch it to the end……I hope I get used to the change….and I hope Matilda returns

9. Precious M

July 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Both actresses look alike. I really loved Matilda. Hope Leonora is equal to the task.

10. ZM

July 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

11. Princess of Zion

July 16, 2012 at 10:53 pm

WOW!! I loved Matilda!! Congratulations on her engagement and pregnancy!! Wishing her a safe delivery and an everlasting, happy and fruitful marriage as I wish Bella and all the readers. AMEN.

12. Janded

July 16, 2012 at 10:53 pm

why did they not work her pregnancy into the script or shoot around her belly? oh well…

13. TALover

July 16, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Awww… super beautiful!! Congratulations to her and new family.

14. cozzyco

July 17, 2012 at 12:21 am

Matilda played the role so well was one of my best characters on tinsel will miss her so much.her role will be a big shoe to fill in.sobs.

15. julz

July 17, 2012 at 12:30 am

I don’t like it

16. rosemary ebiere

July 17, 2012 at 12:42 am

I doubt dat anyone can play d role of Angela dede like Matilda. but i’ll giv leonora a chance

17. Bola

July 17, 2012 at 6:31 am

Mailda still looks fiercer tho…..maybe its this picture but yea….lets watch and see…..goodluck Leo!! xx

18. France

July 17, 2012 at 7:32 am

The new Angela is a better actress…. We love Angela, but she acts weird . We’s get used to the new one i’m sure

19. Annie

July 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

can i say, after watching Tinsel yday, Leonora sure has a very longggg way to go! like seriously, she just didnt bring it home at all. lackluster is all i can say for her scenes last night! cant they write around Matilda’s preg status? like i miss her already.

20. belinda

July 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

I really liked the old Angela because of all the drama she brought to the show… I pray the new Angela is as dramatic… Anyhow, its all good!

21. Afes Mary

July 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

Maltida really defined Tinsel. Hope D̶̲̥̅̊ new Angela will deliver After all change is D̶̲̥̅̊ only constant thing

22. Em

July 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

It was about time..she was a poor actress. Wish her safe a delivery though!

23. mickie

July 17, 2012 at 9:43 am

I think she fits into that part very well. It will be interesting to see how Leonora interprets that role. Congrats to both of them.

24. chocolatier

July 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

This is so sad. Seriously naija needs to learn from their foreign counterparts on how to handle such issues. You don’t just pull out a lead actress at d peak of a popular Television series. Where is that done? oh! Nigeria. Anyways, goodluck to the new actress. she certainly has huge shoes to fill. I wish u a safe delivery Matilda and may God bless your union. I hope its in the cards for you to come back to work after delivery. *keeping my fingers crossed* All the best ladies.

• C.D

July 18, 2012 at 1:42 pm

i soo agree with you. we see Angela on thursday and them bam.. we see anoda Angela on friday. really took me by suprise. I didn’t enjoy that episode and i certainly don’t feel this new Angela. unless she is out for good but the writers should have written around it after all its not the first time someone is going to have a baby. i miss Matilda.

25. furey

July 17, 2012 at 10:56 am

I want matilda back 🙁 wish her safe delivery tho

26. fumnanya

July 17, 2012 at 11:23 am

i’ll miss matilda. wish u safe delivery. i hope the new girl plays ANGELA perfectly

27. nena

July 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Awwww! Matilda was just the person for the character. I wish her a safe delivery and to her substitute,be good and thrill us.

28. nena

July 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Awwwwww! Matilda was a perfect interpreter of the character intended. I hope her successor does a good job. I wish a matilda a safe delivery.

29. jamar

July 17, 2012 at 12:51 pm

didnt watch tisel on friday,but u can imagine my shock when i saw it yesterday.matilda is surely missed,dont see anyone else playing that role the way she did.All the same,lets see how this girl goes…safe delivery to the great matilda

30. Reward

July 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Honestly, whoever orchestrated this change has a loooong way to go. I have no problems with Leonora, but the girl just does not fit the role of mentally-ill Angela. The way Matilda rolls her eyes for instance when upset – Leonora doesn’t just cut it for me. When the bodyguard invaded her bedroom yesterday, the Angela of Matilda would have rolled her eyes and made a proper scene for him. But this Leonora was almost begging the guard – something the ‘real’ Angela would not do!
    Like someone else said, the producers should have maneuvered the script around the pregnancy period. Maybe Angela should have run away for fear of Masters’ men for
    the period of Matilda’s pregnancy and full recovery; for instance!

• Me

July 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm

i fink u pple shd cut d new actress some slack… abeg.. if u fink u can do better, go and lets watch u do it or else, shut up and watch

• AUDREY

July 18, 2012 at 10:03 am

If her script asked her to roll her eyes and she begged the guard instead but the director decided it was fine,how is that her fault?

31. Sesan

July 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Matilda is arguably my Tinsel’s best actor. However, change is inevitable in life coupled with the reason for her exit, I cannot but wish her well. The new lady seems up to the task anyway. Cheers, Tinsel crew.

• Lolan

July 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Huhh? When Goddess Shiela is there or that her crazy co-wife that I can’t remember her name? Matilda was ok but she was not the best

32. esosa

July 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Dumb asses what they should have done is kill the Angela character TOTALLY not swap it,like the producers of Desperate House wives did they killed Eddie Brit and introduced Vanessa Williams.Mtcheeeeeeeew thank God i stopped following

33. Stephy

July 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm

OH NO i WILL MISS HER BIG TIME. aNGELA WILL NEVER BE THESAME WITHOUT HER.WISH HER ALL THE BEST THOUGH.

34. judiiy jane

July 17, 2012 at 6:08 pm

matty,Please i must confess,i fell in love with Tinsel because of ur character Angela Dede,no one but u can play dat role very well.Though as a african woman,i knw what it means to venture into motherhood but please promise me and all ur fans that u will come back after delivery or else i wont watch tinsel again.u kw dat role is very challenging,its not like every other role,this is a role where a normal person plays d role of a mentally-ill lady.honestly,the appetite i previously had watching Angela Dede,is diminishin,cos d new Angela Dede does not have what d old one had.for instance,she does not roll her eyes up whn she speaks,she acts like a normal lady,no drama,somethings are missin.o girl,i will miss u oo hope to see u playin ur charater again.wishin u safe delivery.

35. Susan Majek

July 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm

This is nonsense. Why can’t they just write her into the script as being pregnant, kill the character off or say she disappeared for some reason or another? I don’t know for Naija script writers…Don’t they know what it is like in the pysche of the faithful audience to just replace people in roles like? That can lead to lower numbers of viewers and to the show being cancelled…

36. moi

July 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

stunning actress and will be missed.

37. Couture By Makioba

July 18, 2012 at 10:03 am

to me if its not mathilda then its not angela….. i am so pissed….

38. hamdalat usman

July 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm

They jxt killed ma interest in Tinsel!!!!…Matilda brought “Angela” xter to life,she was jxt perfect!! Anyways goodluck to d new one sha!!

39. nikkyleish

July 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

i’m not feeling the new Angela at all!!!

40. mirian

July 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm

They would have done it d way they did Brenda’s own. They told us that she went to rehabilitation house while she went for her maternity leave. The new Angela is dull to М̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ likning.

41. Abs

July 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I’m hard to please when it comes to acting but that Leo girl can act! She’s just the ish! Watched her in Sparrow’s Different Shades of Blue and their ongoing series Peeps. Gee I miss home! Congrats gal.

• weyinole e.

July 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Is she big in Ghana? No offence, but haven’t heard of her before.

42. LawlarVladimir

July 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I want my own”Angela dede” backkkkk

43. Tunmise

July 19, 2012 at 10:42 am

wwwwhhhhyyyy??????? i want the old Angela back jor! 🙁 Congrats to her though!

44. Kofi

July 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Congratulations to Matilda on your forthcoming baby. When is the wedding, mmm..? Now about this change of cast, it has completely ruined my viewing experience. Matilda totally nailed the character of Angela. They should have just said she went to London to stay with her Dad to avoid Masters or something. It’s still not too late as Leonora just doesn’t deliver it for me.

45. jenny

July 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I kinda like saw dis comin…. i knew she was pregnant! she will be real missed cos she playes her part real well…they would have made her exit like dat of brenda..

46. margaretino

July 19, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Honestly Matilda is d best 4d Angela Dede role•Tinsel shld hv workd d scrip such dat Angela is sent 2d Mental insitution 4a while cos she went off her Pills&dat wl cover her Maternity leave cos they can shoot aroind d Pregnacy and she comes back after delivery •Leonora is a good actress but Maltida is d Bomd 4dat Role cos d babe dey on point its so real

47. Matilda fan

July 20, 2012 at 1:11 am

MNET had better bring Matilda back. The shows on now are just sooooo boring. Tinsel shone and Matilda contributed like 80% to this. We want Matilda back!

48. ghana girl

July 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I ff this show when in ghana cos my dad is a fan of the show, i hope she comes back cos no one can play the role of Angela like her, congrats on her engagement n baby

49. Matildasolder

August 13, 2012 at 1:23 am

I keep hoping she will just pop back; she is so annoying & so electrifying. I miss her so…couldn’t they have added pregnancy into her part r maybe her fiancé didn’t want that. Matilda (Angela) you are really talented & I miss you everyday.

50. babious

August 20, 2012 at 11:24 pm

nigerians needs to learn dat u dont change a lead actress for a tv series especially in its season 5,my gosh! i’m not a tinsel fan but dats jst crazy,if they are also letting go of amaka and brenda. it shows how unreliable they are. As for matilda,perhaps its for the better cos i thot her acting was quite stiff,mayb its d role but i didnt feel it. i jst loved looking at her face.all the best tinsel,u guys were beginning to fade anyways.

51. eniba

August 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

can anyone be as painfully annoying as Angela? I hate it wen casts change..new girl look way too sweetly innocent,eyes lyk a child…I need Angela’s hard eyes back! safe delivery Mati darling…