The joy of conception and child birth is one almost every woman looks forward to. The mother in this story must have felt an immeasurable level of joy when she conceived a child, but now, it’s hard to imagine the sort of emotions that must be running through her after this sad occurrence.

Sun News reported earlier today that a new born baby was snatched by gunmen at a maternity home in Nkwoegwu, Ohuhu, in Umuahia North LGA of Abia State just a few minutes after delivery. The sad incident occurred while nurses were battling to save the mother from bleeding to death.

The mother, Eberechi Ihezukwu has three girls. This baby is her first son.

Here are some excerpts of the account of the father of the baby,  Clifford Ihezukwu.

“On Tuesday, November 13, 2012, at about 2pm, my wife who was already heavy with a baby told me she was going to hospital (Our Lady of Apostles, Nkwoegwu, Ohuhu, Umuahia North LGA of Abia State) where she normally puts to bed. Later, she phoned me, seeking for my consent as the nurses wanted to give her hot drip to help her deliver of the baby since during her three previous pregnancies, there was no time she was given such hot drip before she put to bed. Instantly, I gave my consent if that would be the solution to the problem.

I learnt that the drip was at about 6pm. By 7pm, I went there to see her since it is within a short distance from my home. When I got to the maternity, I saw my wife’s sister rejoicing; she told me that my wife had just put to bed. I thanked God and told her to take charge while I went back to check what I was cooking. I was there when she rushed back to the house and was shouting: “My stomach! My stomach!” I asked her what was amiss and she told me that gunmen invaded the maternity, kicked her in the stomach after overpowering the security man and collected everybody’s cell phones, including that of my wife who was still inside the labour room where the nurses were battling to stop the bleeding after the delivery.

They dashed into the labour room, grabbed the baby who was still dripping with blood and dashed off. My wife was not yet conscious of what was going on as she battled for survival after the nurses had administered her with some injection to stop the bleeding. So, I rushed to the maternity. When I got there, the whole place was locked; I went round knocking at the windows until someone opened. When they narrated how gunmen carried out their operation and took my baby away, I took my wife and went straight home.

Despite the fact that he was the victim in the case, he said he was locked up in a police cell when he went to report the case. He told Sun News that while narrating the incidence to the  Divisional Police Officer (DPO), he was ordered to be kept behind the counter. Later on, he was taken to the  State CID headquarters where he was told that it was too late for him to be released and was locked up till the next day. He was released only after parting with some money to the police.

Our hearts go out to the parents and family of this baby at this difficult time and we pray that he is found safe  and returned home soon. We join our faith with that of the mother of the baby who hasn’t had the chance to hold her son. “My breasts are heavy with milk; it is a burden I have refused to bear. They should please bring back my baby to suck my breasts. I refuse to believe that my baby has gone; the God who put it in my womb for nine months before its delivery will fish out the perpetrators and my baby will be brought back to me.”

35 Comments on Snatched at Birth: Gunmen Kidnap Newborn Baby from Hospital in Abia Few Minutes after Delivery
  • i no send November 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

speechless…….

• aproko November 19, 2012 at 8:46 pm

How does this man feel telling this story…long hiss!

• Observer November 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

This is the reason why especially in Nigeria, it is not wise for women to disclose information about their pregnancy let alone the EDD. Not that you should be suspicious of people abitrarily, but in this life, you never know who is wishing evil upon you. This story clearly sounds to me like someone she knows targetted her on her delivery day. It’s sad but it is a wicked world we live in, hence one can never be too careful. Me, I don’t even tell anybody the sex of my baby. I don’t tell my pregnancy week let alone my EDD. Are you kidding me? You are a joker to believe i’d tell you ‘cos if you ask too much all you’l hear will be lies……before you begin to count my delivery month finish, I don already born my baby waka go home!!

Sometimes when people ask all these very stupid questions like what is the sex of your baby? when is your EDD? in my mind I wonder, like…….are you asking that you want to accompany the person to the delivery room to help her give birth? People can be stupidly curious shaa! SMH!

• Lolade November 20, 2012 at 1:07 pm

My dear you are soo right! these days people you never know who is who. Even the people you trust can mistakenly and innocently pass on the information about your preganacy to another person not knowing they are speaking to an enemy.
      I like your style, pls don’t disclose your EDD to anyone, not even the sex of your baby. Infact dome people don’t even tell how many months they are, let alone weeks. If you keep asking them too many questions they will just start lying to you :-) LOL! Do not even tell your friends and extended family. You never know from whose mouth the info will spill. People can leak infomation out of share excitement

• lara November 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I saw my wife’s sister rejoicing; she told me that my wife had just put to bed. I thanked God and told her to take charge while I went back to check what I was cooking……..

Im sorry but that made me laugh….i wonder what he was cooking that was more important than his newborn…….

• Princess November 20, 2012 at 12:45 am

Do you know if he was d only one taking care of his wife wat will she eat breeze abi?

• Mousepad November 20, 2012 at 10:04 am

Its not about neglecting his new born, he may have been cooking for his wife who would surely need something hot right after delivery….there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that

• lara November 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Amen to her prayer

• bee November 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Odikwa very fishy story

• kemmeye November 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

sooo sad

• partyrider November 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm

hmmmmmmmm

• vanessa November 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm

bella naija commenters smh some of you nver cease to amaze me with your differnt view to the story @bee [ls whats fishy about the story pls tell us, @ lara i do not see whats out of place to tell his wifes sister to take charge since he had already come to the hospital he has been told his wife has put to bed.Remember they got 3 kids that needs to be taken care of and am sure he was gonna bring them to the hospital if shit didnt happen.Something tells me it was just Gods way of saving his life who knows it would have been double portion of disaster;he probably will have been shot dead if he was there maybe in an attempt to fight or something like that.But seriously stories like this beats my imagination kilode na only naija they do am o

• Curious November 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm

It is a very sad and unfortunate thing that has happened and my heart goes out to the family…..

But, what is wrong with some African men seriously! Your wife is about deliver and the husband can’t really be bothered to be in the hospital with her???? Not just that, but knowing it was a difficult labour as the nurses where battling to stop the wife’s bleeding, was still not a good enough incentive to stay at the hospital with her??? Wow!

• Olu bash November 19, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Uhmmmmm…what a story

• Olu bash November 19, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Uhmmmmm…what a story

• Okechukwu Ofili November 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Can we get the location and identity of the police officers/office that locked him up?

• lucabracee November 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm

this is a really really sad occurrence for a family to bear especially the new mother,i won’t necessarily suspect the husband considering the baby will eventually be going back home with them and he could have effected any evil designs he had at any time…personally knowing naija i think the nurses should be probed it is only in our country that bank cashiers,bank managers,security inform armed robbers to come and rob likewise its only in our country that nurses will procure human parts and other unmentionables for ritualists..
    the first thing they should have done is to seize all the nurses and doctor’s mobile phones and check for any suspicious calls

• NB November 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Naija land of wonders

• Iris November 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm

And once again the Nigerian police have displayed quite stupendously why they’re a hotbed of sagacity and effectiveness. I can’t even talk again.

• Mabel@ www.facebook.com/pomeysplacelimited November 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm

The days indeed are evil..?.

• Sylvia November 20, 2012 at 12:07 am

This is very sad, evil times indeed

• Princess November 20, 2012 at 12:43 am

Please oh u pple should investigate this matter very well because a new trend is starting in Nigeria. U can’t imagine my boyfrd’s tenant said she was traveling for holiday 3 months later she came back with twins that she has given birth! Everybody open mouth! Okpe! No body had d guts 2 question her. How do you ask a 48 year old woman how she take manage born twins under 3 months! God help us. Pastor came 2 dedicate the children oh, I was in shock. I told my boyfrd to report to police oh or find a way to eject her from his compound. I am talking about a well educated single woman ( a lecturer) . So let’s not say it’s illetarcy. Please what should we do because somewhere some mother cud be crying about her twins that were stolen from her?

• Princess November 20, 2012 at 12:47 am

Illiteracy

• Mrs A November 20, 2012 at 9:35 am

You both need to investigate the origin of those children properly before jumping to conclusions. It’s an every day occurrence for older relatives to take care of children of their family who are less privileged. She might have her reasons for referring to them as her kids. It could be a number of things. Please don’t unwittingly put her in trouble till you’re sure she deserves it.

• Thelma November 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

@ Princess: You clearly sound like an illiterate yourself. So if a 48 yrs old woman according to you, who clearly has passed menopause decides to adopt children in order to have babies of her own least, so being your boyfriend’s tenant she ought to first of all come and take special permission from you abi? As per a girl friend and “land lady” concerned.

Or may be you we’re expecting she should have printed a poster a plastered it all over the walls to inform other tenants about her personal intentions to adopt. Mtsheeeew! That’s why I hate living in Nigeria , especially all those communal tenant houses where people clearly pork nose into other people’s personal and private affairs

• Princess November 20, 2012 at 11:56 am

Not when she said she delivered the twins, trust me it’s quite rampant in my part of the state. That y in Nigeria things keep going bad. Some said she gave birth to twins when we know she has passed menopause isn’t that something to be investigated

• Princess November 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm

And miss Thelma who is quick 2 call m an illiterate, I mentioned the literacy of the lady in question, because of the factors surrouding she is way past menopause, u can’t concive and carry a baby for 6 months and wud do expect me to think when she said she delivered the babies If she tries that in a western community please please wudnt her neighbor’s call d cops. I know this is Nigeria but sorry were I come from it’s way way different.

• Oge November 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm

So Princess, you really were expecting that if she adopted the babies, she would formely make explanations to you, telling you she adopted them? Tell me, who does that? Not even you.

And whose business is it, for those asking her if she gave birth? If you suspect foul play, then quitely call the police to make quietly make an undercover investigation if need be than openly harrasing the poor old lady. You might find out that you’ve made a public fool and ridicule of yourself eventually when you now discover she adopted those babies.

Even in Nigeria, nowadays Adoption is now a very rampant thing in women of that age bracket. And nobody goes about saying they did so. Most times they’l tell you they’ve had a baby (for which it’s really non of your business anyway) It’s only the backward and ignorant people that the concept of adoption still bewilders!

• Thelma November 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

@ Princess: You made mention of if it were abroad they would report to the police right? Now let me tell you, what happens in the Western society: If you suspect such a thing, as Oge pointed out above, you would silently without the knowledge of the Old lady, go and make your report to the police who should make a smart undercover investigation which at times will happen without the woman’s knowledge till they themselves have found clues and evidence to suspect her, by any means. It is only then that they can confront her. And all these will happen without your knowlegde and other neighbours even though you were the reporter, till they have found her guilty then the police will invite you and thank you for making complains.

Because if it were in this place, the manner with which you people have harrased her, even by making side comments is enough for her to sue you guys don’t you know? you mentioned the Western soceity, now thats what happens in the West! Haven’t you heard of the police arresting people for harrasing a thief? even though the thief is found guilty. That is what human right is all about. Until you prove your case, you have no legal and human right to harass another person. You are speaking like you are no different from the people in Aluu who did jungle justice. If you asked them, this your explanation will be the same thing they must have been saying…..yet there they had no evidence before persecuting the 4 innocent boys

• tinnu November 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

@ observer you r so on point,do not disclose ur life to any one in this world cos u dont know who love u. i pray the baby comes back in jesus name AMEN.

• sheila from Cheeky Chums November 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

why steal a newborn baby was the father rich,lets hope for a safe return.

• Floxy November 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

What a propaganda? Such a thing didn’t happen in Abia state. Opponents doesn’t sleep, as they will always fabricate one story or the other to run the administration of Gov. T. A. orji down. This is so irritating to be true. Let come together as one and build this state than to cook cheap rumours to make people feel the state has no security. Anyone of us here can go down to the aforementioned place and verify it. This state is too big for this kind of cheap rumours. God will help us.

• Ucheoma November 20, 2012 at 2:03 pm

So disheartening that a state like ours can still engage in such image laundering in the name of politics just to paint the entire state and the chief executive black. It’s too bad.

• iamfascinating November 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm
  • evllly November 30, 2013 at 3:49 pm

t must happen more regularly helps keeping population at bay