Nigerians Travelling Abroad Must Take Polio Vaccine by 2013 – WHOPosted on Friday, December 14th, 2012 at 2:49 AM
By Adeola Adeyemo
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said that by May 2013, all Nigerians traveling abroad would be compelled to take the oral polio vaccine. This was noted by Dr. Ray Nihar, an official of the WHO yesterday in Kaduna.
He said children and adults traveling out of Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan must be certified as having been vaccinated against polio “to reduce the substantial risk of the virus spreading to polio-free countries.”
The WHO official also added that the report issued by the International Monitory Board on Polio revealed that “too many communities” regard polio vaccination as an imposition with no benefit. He said polio eradication was vital in affected countries, adding that neighbouring countries would not be safe.
In an interview with NAN, the Chief of Kagoro, Afuwai Bonet, urged legislators to participate in the fight against polio in their respective constituencies.
Bonet said compelling Nigerians traveling abroad to take the vaccine would be an embarrassment to Nigeria, including the legislators.
It is sad that Nigeria is still grappling with the effects of Polio and hasn’t completely eradicated the disease. Having to take polio vaccines or present evidence of vaccination, like the Chief said, would be an embarrassment to Nigerians. Hopefully, the relevant authorities would look into this to make speedy moves towards polio eradication.
What are your thoughts on the WHO’s recommendation?
Filed under: News & Features
- Win a Copy of the “City of Lagos” Monopoly! It’s Just 5 Correct Answers Away
- Mark Your Calendars for the Fusion Lifestyle Shopping Event & Food Fair in Abuja – Sunday 10th February 2013
- Stunning x 2! Your First Look at Oluchi Orlandi & Agbani Darego’s Natures Gentle Touch 2013 Ad Campaign
- The Wedding Company Nigeria launches New Photo Series “Love Struck” | Capturing Models & Real Couples in Creative Themed Shoots
- Dear President Jonathan…
- Super Eagles of Nigeria Through to the Quarter Finals at AFCON 2013
- Now Playing: eLDee feat. Sojay – We Made it
- EFCC Re-arrests “Police Pension Thief” John Yusuf after Court Frees Him on N750,000 Fine
- The Controversy over Bill Gates’ Visit to Nigeria & Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon
- FRSC Bans Drivers Aged Under 25 from Driving Taxis, Trucks & Obtaining Commercial Drivers’ Licence